Danny Guthrie Avoids Further Punishment

Danny Guthrie has avoided further punishment, and will serve the normal 3 match ban for his sending off on Saturday against Hull City, for a terrible foul on Craig Fagan, which broke his leg.

Danny Guthrie – will serve the normal 3 match ban
The FA announced this morning that Newcastle midfielder Danny Guthrie would receive no further punishment for breaking Craig Fagan’s right leg, with a horror tackle right at the end of the game at St. James’ Park on Saturday.

It was thought that Danny may have been suspended for more than the 3 games, for bringing the game into disrepute, but the FA has decided not to punish Danny any further.

Danny was probably helped by his public apology yesterday about the event, but he should also contact Craig personally to give his apology. It also seems to have been completely out of character for the 21 year-old, and he has reacted compassionately and well to the terrible injury he inflicted on Fagan.

Newcastle’s stand-in coach Chris Hughton admitted Guthrie got caught up in the emotion of Saturday’s game, when he said yesterday:

“Danny’s a terrific lad, as I think most of us know, and that’s not in his nature.”

“I think it was just the emotion of the game. It was quite physical at times, but I think that went with the whole afternoon, and he’s a young man who just got caught up in it.”

Guthrie must learn quickly that he can never lose control on the pitch, whatever the circumstances may be.

This news has just been announced this morning.

• steve

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Guthries already apologised to Fagan and his family personally – hopefully he’s learnt from this

I think we should start a new campaign called “support the team”

We’ve made our point with the protests and Ashley is trying to sell, it’s pointless throwing even more negativity at the players. I’ll be at the West Ham game on saturday and look forward to giving the team full support.

Howay the lads

• Toon Chicken

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Think common sense probably prevailed here. No point extending his punishment just because it was later found out to have been a lot worse than first thought. That would set an awkward precedent for all other tackles and the resultant injuries they caused.

Hopefully young Danny has seen the error of his ways and will not join JB on the darkside. 😉

• Toon Chicken

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:38 AM

steve – “support the team”? Are you mad? This lot won’t stop until they’ve driven every cockeneye and his dog oot the toon for good.

• listie

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Lucky boy, but the right decision, he did not intend to break Fagans leg. Whereas Fagan did intend to injure abalor (sp) when he stood on he leg.

So ying and yang working!!

• Mista X

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:41 AM

that fagan was winding up everyone all day – id have broken his leg given half the chance

• Wallsend Will

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Good comments. The FA have got it right for a change.

• ToonKing

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Great news, he honestly didn’t deserve more then a 3 match ban, the tackle wasn’t that bad. Can’t wait to see him back, he’s one of our better and consistent players right now.

• KK FOREVER

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:44 AM

thats rite every cockney out ov toon cos they all greedy fckers

• Big Gaz

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Steve you have my full support. Lets get behind the lads who I am sure are suffering just as much as us “loyal” fans.

Keegan will be back and we will get the Carling cup this years after thrashing “the spuds” next week. and of course hammering the hammers this weekend..

COME ON THE LADS ! ! !

• Spyro

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:47 AM

There are some right idiots on this site.

• Glenn_United

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:47 AM

AGREE WITH STEVE comment 1….

LET’S START A THEME/CONTINUED PROTEST OF “WE FULLY SUPPORT THE NEWCASTLE UNITED TEAM/PLAYERS”
    HOWAY THE LADS!!!
    But let’s not forget if Ashley tries to back out of a sale, he has said he will sell, so let’s give him time to sell, we can not buy anyone until January 2009 so let’s give him max time at least till then!!!

THE FORCE IS WITH THE TEAM!!! HOWAY THE LADS!!!!!

• bowburnmag

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM

If I’m not being overly-generous by repeating what I said on the other thread, if it’s not in his nature as I believe, then the incident playing on his conscience will play as much of a factor in punishment and learning from his mistakes as a ban would. It’s never nice to get back into playing after you’ve broken someone’s leg. Agreed also that we shouldn’t get caught up by the consequence of the tackle rather than the tackle itself. Stupid and aggressive? Yes. Intent to do serious harm? No. In my opinion of course.

• KK FOREVER

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM

yeah and u are number 1 spyro

• Jack

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I think he’s pretty lucky.

It was a kick. Plain and simple.

I’d have given him an extra 2 or 3 games.

Who cares if it’s “out of character”. Fact is he kicked someone, no intent of playing the ball, out of frustration, and regardless of who it was, the guy’s out for 3 months with a broken leg.

• bowburnmag

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Jack – possibly. And I hear you about Fagan and Hull. I hope the lad can get back asap and neither player nor club suffer to much. If you don’t think this, then it’s just not cricket. I guess my stance comes from reading people calling the guy a thug last night. After one misdemeanour on the pitch? Bit harsh.

• 51times

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Spyro – “Dem thick norveners are giving me grief, innit”.

Hvae some jellied eels and stop whinging.

• Glenn_United

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Bit harsh yes! But you are correct on two fronts! I ain’t cricket…IT’S FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

• Spyro

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Is that how you think everyone speaks down south 51times? lol. No less than what i would expect from someone who epitomizes ignorance.

• 51times

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:16 AM

How’s london life spyro, any more little southern sh*tbags been knifed yet? I really giggle to myself when I hear about more knife crime down south on the news. It’s the least you lot deserve.

• Spyro

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM

51 times

How does it feel to speak in such a way online and face no repercussions? Does it make you feel good? Like a real man? Does it make you feel invincible? I suppose it IS worth scraping together to pay your monthly broadband bill then isn’t it 😉

• 51times

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I say these kinds of things out in public on Tyneside all the time. You don’t seem to understand that people up here don’t give two sh*ts about you lot down south.

Oh, and a jibe about poverty in the North, that’s not ignorant at all it is. Tell you what, should you ever come up to Tyneside I’ll gladly meet up with you and say all of this to your face.

• Toon Chicken

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:32 AM

51 Times – how you haven’t been banned yet is beyond me.

I feel sorry for the rest of the people on here who share your views on Ashley and Keegan because when you start saying things about giggling when some youth get’s knifed to death it you and your shared opinions lose all credibility.

• Spyro

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Yes of course you do, im sure you’re a big strong lad who holds no fear…who just happens to spend most of his time making regionalist and racist remarks on the internet (roll eyes).
    Tough talk on the net is embarrassing my friend lol.

“Jibe on poverty in the north”

It was actually an insult aimed purely at you.
    Do you have some sort of deluded belief that YOU are the face of the northeast?
    How naive you are lol.

• 51times

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM

If you feel so bad about it Toon Chicken, move down to London and do something about it instead of whinging at me. Nothing you say will ever make me develope sympathy or empathy with those anti-Geordie bigots down south.

If you makes you feel any better though, I’m far more concerned about knife crime in Newcastle and gun crime in Manchester and Liverpool.

• PapaToon

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:42 AM

lost all respect for the lad it was disgraceful. it would be alright it roy keane was the manager or guthrie was playing div5 in the sunday league.

• Karltoon

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Come on lads.. We were talking about goings on ‘on the pitch’ before.. There’s been countless threads with this tripe on.. Just get each others msn addresses and nudge til your hearts content.. One upmanship on a blog is like winning the premiership with newcastle on pes.. Good fun, but you dont get alot else done!

p.s. Has Zamblera figured in any match at any level for us yet?

• Davies

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Shut up 51 Times. Nobody likes you.

To say that nobody in Tyneside cares about the supporters down south is ridiculous. Newcastle is fortunate enough to have supporters all over the world. It’s really not important whether they are in Newcastle, New York, Bangalore or London. Supporters are supporters. Wind your neck in you tw@.

• Spyro

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Suppose you are right Karltoon.

I think Zamblera has only featured maybe once or twice for the youths.

• 51times

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Tough talk? I wasn’t making a veiled threat of violence, I have no interest in fighting you. I was saying that I would not change my tune if you were standing in front of me.

And racist? Hardly. I understand the economic need for immigration. All you have to do is look a bit into European genetic mapping to see that most people in Europe have not been where they are now forever, so for me to be racist would be completely illogical.

However, I am a regionalist and would prefer Northumberland to be treated like Catalonia or Euskadi in Spain.

• Toon Chicken

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:57 AM

51 Times – you talk like someone who has never even left the village they were dragged up in.

If you had you would realise that there are folk the length and breadth of the country who are actually quite fond of the Geordie people. Yes, even the cockeneyes.

Of course there are some who don’t really have an opinion one way or the other, and there are probably some who, like you, have deep hatred and mistrust of anyone who doesn’t look or talk the same as them. Fortunately (until now of course) I haven’t met any of the latter.

• 51times

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:33 PM

I don’t hate people who don’t talk or look like me, it’s a life goal of mine in fact to live outside of Britain for a few years. Norway, Germany or Spain would be the preferred destinations but who knows.

You can talk about how many southerners you’ve met who are fond of Geordies but for every one of them, I’d bet another ten mutter “Geordie scum” when they see us. A quick story for you, I was down in London to see off my mate who was being stationed in Cyprus for the first time back in 2006. We stopped off at a shop and I went in to get something to drink. The guy refuses to serve me, which bemused me. I asked him why he wouldn’t and he said to me “Because I f*cking hate Geordies”. I was shcoked to say the least, and left not believing if I had really just heard that. Just one of many negative experiences with the southernes.

Also, if I did hate anybody who didn’t look or sound like me, why would I be fine with other Northerners? The Scotts? Ulstermen? Not to mention just about every other group of people in the world. So I’m not sure why you would say that.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:42 PM

51 times,
    man, you sound like an intelligent lad a whole load of the time, but sometimes you get too emotionally charged mate.
    You’ve got a brain, for defs, use it man.

NUFC is a global product these days

Howay the Toon

• Marty

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:30 PM

51 times.
    I`M living in Norway now,great place to live man.Beautiful women and culture,crap football and expensive but if you get a decent job they pay extremely well.
    Not too far to the toon either to see some games.
    Marty

• Paul

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:31 PM

51Times, I’m a geordie who lives in London. You’re completely wrong, they just hate ignorant, moronic small town bigots like you!

• 51times

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:33 PM

Marty – I enjoy your music very much, too. Heh, it’s such a metalhead cliché to want to live in Scandinavia. But I also respect Norwegian independence from the European Union and I have a big interest in ancient Scandinavian paganism.

• 51times

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Paul – lol

• Tom_Toon

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Back on topic then, Guthrie is a lucky boy.