How Serious Is Ashley About Selling Newcastle?

We wonder just how serious Mike Ashley really is, about selling the Newcastle United Club.

Mike Ashley – is he really serious about selling?
After announcing, in a long statement on Sunday night, that he intends to sell, he has gone with Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez to the Middle East looking for a buyer. That sounds good, and looks to Newcastle fans that he is indeed making an effort to sell the club quickly, as he said on Sunday night.

But it has been been reported on the Arabian Business site that his dossier on the club asks for £481M for the club, for which he has only invested £244M himself.  Isn’t it a little bit ridiculous to even ask for that amount?

We have reviewed Mike’s statement of Sunday, and point to these few paragraphs at the end:

I hope that all the fans get to read this statement so that they understand what I am about. I would not expect all of the fans to agree with me. But I have set out, clearly, my plan.

If I can’t sell the club to someone who will give the fans what they want then I shall continue to ensure that Newcastle is run on a business and football model that is sustainable. I care too much about the club merely to abandon it.I have the interests of Newcastle United at heart. I have listened to you. You want me out. That is what I am now trying to do but it won’t happen overnight and it may not happen at all if a buyer does not come in.

That hints rather strongly that if he cannot find a suitable buyer he will keep the club.  One way to define not being able to find a suitable buyer is if they don’t offer what you want for the club, and if you want £481M you will never find a suitable buyer – you get the gist.

If you really want to sell the club one way to do that is to ask far too much for it, and then say you couldn’t find a good buyer.

But a good price for Newcastle United right now is anything in the region of £275M, which will give Mike a healthy profit of some £30M in 16 months, which is not too bad, even for a Billionaire.

The Newcastle fans are ready to move on, and the club certainly needs to move on past this very sorry chapter in our history.

We trust Mike will stand by his word and sell the club, and we expect him to be willing to sell for a decent price.

But surely asking £481M right now for Newcastle United is an insult to any potential buyer.

Comments very welcome.

• ronak2004

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:50 PM

108 ronak2004 // Sep 18, 2008 at 15:40

HES NOT SELLING THE CLUB U FOOLS. THIS WAS JUST A FAKE TRIP TO CALM THE FANS DOWN. HOW COME NONE OF YOU HAVE REALISED THIS? DO YOU SERIOUSLY THINK ASHLEY WOULD PROPOSE 480MIL WITHOUT KNOWING HE WOULD BE REBUFFED. BOTH CHINESE + ARABS ARE SHREWD, CUNNING BUSINESS MEN. ASHLEY IS JUST PLAYING A GAME BIDDING HIS TIME UNTIL THINGS CALM DOWN HE KNOWS HE HAS THE POWER AND WANTS TO KEEP THE CLUB. MARK MY WORDS

thats what I said earlier ED!
    Finnally someone clocks it!

• Jinal

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Ed, I have been a regular visitor on this site ever since the beginning back in early 2007 (before you were nufcblog.com).

I’m sorry to say that the “reports” that you pick these days are from unconfirmed sources and you are filling the minds of fans with things that might not even be true, making us all more ‘deluded’ than we already are.

It is your blog, and I appreciate what you have done for us, but please, give us the facts, not your own opinions. Let everyone come to their own conclusion.

• Born Again Geordie

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:52 PM

We shall see what happens in the next couple of days / weeks won’t we.

I long for something positive to come from this and then think we will all be able to move on and concentrate on football !!

• hitman

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:52 PM

ronak,your not the first one to say it on here.a lot have

• Davies

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:53 PM

ronak2004 – presumably you get your information from the club’s famouse “inside source”.

It could just be that he has set the price high so that he can negotiate down to something like £300m. I don’t know the bloke, so I can’t say for sure how serious he is about selling, but let’s not get carried away eh.

• 51times

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:54 PM

I think a lot of us had that suspicion ronak. No doubt the types on here who support Ashley rather than the club will have hard ons thinking about it.

• hitman

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:56 PM

51times lol..the sooner this turd goes the better,coz the club is suffering.

• roscoe

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:56 PM

when will it all end?

• Born Again Geordie

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM

Jinal – no offence but it is Ed’s blog and if he wants to give his opinion then he is entitled to do so. Is that not what you do when having a discussion ? 🙂

• Jinal

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Born Again Geordie, don’t you think it would be better if before we read the article, we knew if it was fact, speculation or opinion?

• Jinal

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:01 PM

The Title itself sets the tone for the article.

• 51times

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Jinal – Ed is clearly giving us his opinion here, did you actually read the article?

• Tom_Toon

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:02 PM

I am losing faith in Mike Ashley now but definitely still dont want Keegan back.

• Born Again Geordie

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Jinal – fair point but it does however get people talking about stuff. lets face most of the stuff they publish in the press is nothing more than speculation.

Would you agree ?

• hitman

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:04 PM

tom u have changed your tune.

• roscoe

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM

well jinal this title is totally open for discussion and not saying that its fact or anything!!

• Born Again Geordie

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Sven for manager !!!!

Ho’way the lads !!!

• ToonRich

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM

TT, how do you think KK would fare in a Wise role at the club? If a new younger manager came in, and was happy to work under the european structure.

• Born Again Geordie

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:08 PM

If ashley apologiesed to the fans, got rid of wise and brought Sven in how many anti-ashley fans would be happy with that?

Just a thought for you to ponder. 🙂

• nufctj

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM

The whole point of a blog is to express your opinion. Jinal is a muppet.

I don’t care if MA sells the club, as long as he stops making bad decisions (or better yet learns a bit about public relations), hires a good manager, keeps bringing in players like the ones we have signed, and most improtatnyl NYUFC wins matches. Then I don’t care if Mr. Bean is our owner.

Say what you want about Wise, but the players brought in since he has been here seem to all be quality. Time will be the ultimate judge of that, but initial evidence says we have added real quality to the side.

None of us knows for sure what went on between KK and Wise. We are all just guessing, I am sure in time we will know. Until then we should support our club and hope for 3 points against the Hammers.

It will take five years for the next manager to build a top four club. Whether that be KK or someone else.

Even a new owner will face the same task, regardless of how much money they will bring to the table.

• hitman

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:10 PM

BAG..its gone to far now,he has to go.

• A.L 9

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Ronak I said this on the thread that first stated he wanted 480m so I wouldn’t be too cocky

• Born Again Geordie

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM

OK hitman – was just interested to hear everyones thoughts.

off now catch you guys later

• Gordon

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:14 PM

But he also said:

“But I am now a dad who can’t take his kids to a football game on a Saturday because I am advised that we would be assaulted. Therefore, I am no longer prepared to subsidise Newcastle United.

“I am putting the club up for sale.”

So if he can’t sell, he won’t be funding the club either, which means we either have to make enough of an operating profit to cover debts, fund transfers and run the club or we’re out of business.

• Jinal

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:17 PM

I am not referring to this article in particular. I feel that many times, we are dished out fact mixed with opinio, and if you don’t distinguish between the two, what do you end up with? Deluded fans.

Lads, don’t get me wrong – I really like this blog and I think it’s been a great place for fellow geordies to come and discuss, but I think afew changes could really improve the quality of the discussion.

If i was to give you an analogy, and dont be harsh on me please, but in my opinion, what CNN is to news reports about Iraq and Afghanistan, nufcblog is to NUFC – stirring up unnecessary drama.

And Ed, if you do read this, please don’t get me wrong – I truly from the bottom of my heart do appreciate all the time, money and effort you have put into this site.

• 51times

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:18 PM

BAG – He’s a proven liar, how could we trust him?

• Alan

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Ashley is a Spurs Fan, none of his team are Newcastle or even Northern. One drunken night they came up with a scheme to truly screw up Newcastle United. You can bet that the scheme includes him making a profit in the end. How do we know this? We don’t, but we will see as events unfold.
    Its totally legal as well.

• 51times

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:20 PM

Jinal – I see your point there…perhaps Ed could post the article or whatever, then – clearly segregated – give his opinion. Give him an e-mail if you like, I don’t think Ed reads comments much anymore.

• Toon_Phil

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:20 PM

We dont know for sure but i think this is a very good article.

Hopefully we are misreading everything and he sells within the next week!

• Tom_Toon

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:25 PM

why are c0mments bolloxed on ths thread?!?

• Rasko a.k.a Hadji

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM

481mill…..c’mon Ash,i know that the Arabs are producing the oil but that doesnt mean they’re drinking it.
    Just shake the man’s hand for 290mill and lets get on with it cos EUROPE IS WAITING FOR US.

NEWCASTLE FOR LIFE

• Spyro

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM

100% agree Jinal and i have said it a fair few times in the past.

• Gordon

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:28 PM

“I feel that many times, we are dished out fact mixed with opinio, and if you don’t distinguish between the two, what do you end up with? Deluded fans.”

Jinal, *most* people aren’t that stupid. Most people know that the press make things up and that there’s often a lot of opinion to accompany very little fact.

But that’s still no barrier to discussion and speculation (either from Ed or the commentors).

We all have the same information at hand and have to form opinions based on that as best as we can.

I am aware however that there are some people who will believe any old rubbish written in the press, but I believe those are a minority.

• SKIN D

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:31 PM

GET OUT ASHLEY YOU INCOMPETANT IDIOT,HOW HE EVER MADE ANY MONEY IS BEYOND ME.
    DID YOU HONESTLY THINK YOU COULD PULL THE WOOL OVERS THE ARAB,S EYES.
    THIS MAN IS WHAT HE IS ,A CHEAP SPIV ,A THIEF ,A CONMAN.
    HE MUST OF THOUGHT ARABS WERE THICK ,AND DIDN,T KNOW ANYTHING.
    THE ARABS HAVE BEEN DOING BUSINESS SINCE THE WORLD WAS YOUNG, AND MUST HAVE SAW THIS CLASSLESS INDIVIDUAL COMING A MILE AWAY.
    IT IS FINALLY BEEN PROVED OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS ,THAT MIKE ASHLEY LIVES IN HIS OWN LITTLE WORLD.
    THE MAN HAS VIRTUALLY NO PEOPLE SKILLS WHAT SO EVER.
    HE HAS ALSO INSULTED ARAB TRADITIONS AND CULTURE, THE MAN IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER EMBARASSMENT
    I COULDN,T CARE LESS WHAT STARDUST TOSSER AND THE REST OF THE FAIRY GODFATHER ,S SAY ,THEY MUST BE INSANE TO SUPPORT THIS IMBECILE.
    SHAME ON THE LOT OF YOU , IT,S YOU THAT SHOULD LEAVE THE CLUB AND TAKE BILLY BUNTER WITH YOU.

• Guinea Mag

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:31 PM

If he really is asking £481M to sell Newcastle, then the club is not up for sale……

We have to move on and MA should either sell or make a true statement of intent. His long term plan is good; his short term plan in tatters…

West Ham this weekend and no signs of a manager coming in as Houghton’s team selection against Hull City was woeful at best!!!

• toooooonfan

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM

sven would be rubbish without any money

• ryunufc

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM

I don’t know if the reports is true , but if the new owner is willing to pay around that amount that can only be an early sign of ambition that the club is going to good hands, rather than a new owner who is only willing to pay less than what Ashely invested.

• Toon1978

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Skin D

Well said mate couldn’t put it better myslef.

• Micky Toon

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:38 PM

and where is my bloody comment? Did I really swear in it? Bollox. I can’t be arsed typing all that again.

• Spyro

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:39 PM

The 400+ million quotes are bad news no matter what angle you look at it from.

Either it is a valuation aimed purely to knock back any business’ that were alerted by his “up for sale” statement.

Or

MA genuinely believes he could get that much for the club. If this is true, he is most certainly mistaken. I can’t see anyone paying a penny of 250million for us right now personally.

Anyway, regardless of who takes over, i want the structure to remain.