Oba Martins – Fans Loved and Admired Keegan

Oba Martins has said that the uncertainty at Newcastle is already forcing a lot of the players at the club to reconsider their futures on Tyneside.

Oba Martins – fans loved and admired Kevin

Newcastle are currently without a manager and owner Mike Ashley has said he will seek a buyer for the club, but until that time, the club will be in complete limbo.

Nigerian striker Oba Martins admits the situation is not good as he told The Sun:

“Yes I have been thinking deep about my own career,” “But I will never let that affect my game because I have to give my all.”“Everyone is entitled to their own decision and career. Events like this will only trigger speculation.”

“If the players are determined to succeed they will not allow what just happened to bother them. But nothing will surprise me in the coming months.”

“Kevin’s departure came as a rude shock. I don’t know what led to it but it’s a huge setback.” “For the fans it’s a huge blow and you can see how they expressed their anger, putting the pressure on the owner.”

“They truly love and admire Kevin Keegan. I feel so much for the fans because they don’t deserve it.” “I don’t know who’s to blame. The only losers are the fans and the players.” “It’s normal that players feel depressed. We all like him as a manager.”

The resignation of Keegan has certainly brought any Newcastle progress on the field to a complete and utter halt, and the first thing we have to do now is to somehow start that progress again.

But it looks like that will need to be under a new owner, once Mike has sold the club, and yet another new manager.

• Xsico golden boot

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:02 AM

well said oba

• KK FOREVER

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:10 AM

here here oba lad

• Flan

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:12 AM

he aint going to sell the club. so lets just get on with it and get in zico or dechamps

• KK FOREVER

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:15 AM

zico deschamps wot have they ever dun

• Legs

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Alot of players are going to leave like, its canny depressing.

Although most of them are overpaid and sometimes contribute little, I would have loved to win something with this bunch.

If we basically buy a new team with a rich owner and win something, I’ll not be half as proud. I much prefer the underdog story.

nevermind eh.

• Flan

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:29 AM

KK forever
    Zico won the turkish league and cup in his 2nd season and got fenerbacheto the CL for the first time ever

and Deschamps got Monaco to the CL final and won the french cup with them.

So either would be quality imo

• KK FOREVER

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM

FLAN how many times did souness win the turkish leauge wud u want him back

• Alex

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:51 AM

How about Oleary lads , he did a good job at leeds and his teams play attacking passing football.

• Toon Chicken

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Oba’s been dallying with a move to a ‘bigger’ club for a while now – if he wants to use Keegan’s walk as an excuse to jump ship then he can sling his hook as far as I’m concerned. What we need now is players coming together, showing unity and fighting for the club and the FANS!

We don’t need anymore of this unsettling bollox. Dissapointed in both timing and content of Oba’s words.

• clinta

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:52 AM

KK forever- Ahh….. what has KK (forever lol!) ever done in management???? If your looking at success Zico and souness’s cv’s a little more impressive then i guess?

• Dan13

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:53 AM

KK
    can you not tell he was working witha totally different class of players

• Flan

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Souness never won the turkish league. he won the cup once and he inherited a much stronger side in galatasaray than zico did with fene.

and no i wouldn’t want souness back, all i’m saying is keegans gone get over it and get a new manager in asap.

• The Legend Of Jonas

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Alex – what on earth are you on about?

Just go and ask the Villa fans about the season that they finished 4th from bottom with O’Dreary.

Leeds isn’t worth mentioning..

• Dan13

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:56 AM

well said Flan
    And also to be honest I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the words of Oba, surely you would raise an eyebrow to your own career if you were in their boots.
    I know i would given all the havock at the club

• Charlie

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Keegs is a false profit. He should have announced his concerns to the players and the media with the intent to do the best he could in the short term and depending on results make a decision further down the line. He could have dealt with the backlash from Ashley and fans would have known what’s what.

He has left the players he signed and the ones he backed in the lurch. How many players careers have been killed by having to work under a manager that did not sign them?

• JJ

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:25 PM

I agree, Oba spoke the truth and said the players need to get their heads down and work.

I havnt seen a blogger on here than speaks more crap than Toon Chicken.

He has always backed Ashley despite mounting proof he does not care at all forthe club or the fans or progression (only his back pocket).

And Toon Chicken – Oba has only ever had good things to say about the club and the fans.
    His performances have been excellent and he unlike Owen has showed signs of committment to the club.

Who wouldnt want to rather play for a club like Arsenal when our club in constantly in a mess.
    He has done well to stay as long as he has…

Fantastic player – fantastic attitude on the pitch and a far better investment than OWEN who if he walks away this summer would have been a complete flop for 17Mil pounds.

• JJ

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I agree Charlie – I am a huge fan of Keegan and think he would have done a great job as manager.
    But I just dont think his heart was in it this time…
    He has let us down big time by not having the guts to fight it out.

• dontoon

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM

The problem is we dont look like we want to spend. So if we did sell loads of players which we probably will then we wouldnt replace them with the same quality.

As much as I hate the the management I dont believe in fairytale storys I cant see KK coming back or a new owner coming in. The thing im worried about most is MA intentions I think he is the type thats not bothered about waisting money. He gambles all the time and I think Newcastle was another gamble. So he might jus accept his loss and let newcastle get relegated to get back at the fans. He comes across as that type of bloke.

• JJ

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Having said that though, Keegan was right about the managment structure being a failure.
    THe only team in the premier league with a similar structure with DOF and coach is Tottenham, and well look how well its worked for them.
    Very talented player but an overload of midfielders and a manager who openly stated “we are worse in some areas and better in others” which will always be the case when a manager cant decide who to sign or sell.

• nufc toon malaysia

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:33 PM

my suggestion is we appoint curbisley to replace terry mcdermott..didier deschamp for the manager…if can appoint keegan back

• toontony

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:50 PM

has anyone seen this from the eveening chronicle

The Newcastle hierarchy were overheard as they drank Mojito cocktails in a Dubai bar.

Llambias is alleged is to have said: “I had to have a third person in the room when I met him otherwise I would have slapped him.”

Also looks like we are stuck with ashley
    It is believed he has set an asking price of £480m – more than double what he spent to buy out the Hall and Shepherd families and wipe out a large chunk of its debt.

It is alleged he told Llambias: “I would rather stick with the club than sell at that price. I am not going to sell at a knock-down price.””I will put up with the fury of the fans. I am not going to sell for a knock-down price.”

• Toon Chicken

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:56 PM

back in ya box JJ.

• Toon Chicken

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Owen saved us from releagtion last season JJ – or have you forgotten?

Being injured is hardly a sign of non-commitment.

Oba’s heart is in the right place but sadly he looks like he left his footballing brain in Nigeria too much of the time. Poor movement, terrible distribution and runs with the ball his head down too much.

• Obafan

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Toon Chicken

Just think that you were a player, would you like to go to ‘work (= training ground)’ every day without knowing what might happen the next day.

I really understand that the players start to think what the have to do with their own carreers. That is completely normal. This mess needs to be cleared ASAP, if not I don’t want to think what might happen to my favourite club.

• SwedeEric

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:16 PM

toontony… That just sounds like BS to me also. Ashley clearly did this for the fun of owning a football club, that´s why he sits with the fans and wears the jearsy. If he wanted to make a quick buck, then he wouldn´t have bought a football club!

• hitman

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:22 PM

looks like oba is off in january,cannit blame him like

• Michael12

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:23 PM

@dontoon: “So he might jus accept his loss and let newcastle get relegated to get back at the fans”

The world simply revolves around the fans, no?

What doggerel, do you read what you write? No owner, regardless of the level of abuse from the fans, will get his / her club relegated pure in retaliation to the fans. The financial loss of falling out of the league and the loss of TV rights money which by far exceeds that associated with match day takings.

Ashley is here to stay, and the sooner you realise this the better. I have always said that no one operation in a club is isolated and that a failure in 1 will result in a problem in another.

So as fans, we are responsible and accountable for our end of the operations. We do our part to make the Newcastle as seamless as possible.
    If one area we do not control breaks down, that is not a license or an excuse for us to then abandon our end.

Support our team louder, and in greater numbers than others. We always say that Newcastle fans are the best in the world, why?

Because we support the team through thick and thin; because we have passion for our team; because of our concern for the future of our club.

While we may not agree on many things on this blog, there is one thing we all have in common and one thing we on which we indubitably agree; and that is Newcastle united.

Ladies and Gentleman, the season is still young. There is no law, that says we cannot make this season a good one, nay a great one. Let us ululate a battle cry that will make the hairs on the back of our opposition stand, let us be united as a club, team and fans, for we are one; we are united, Newcastle United!

• Toon Graeme

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:34 PM

N and E and a W C
    A and a S and a T L E
    U N I and a T E D

NEWCASTLE UNITED FC

Need I say more

• JJ

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Toon Chicken

Owen saved us from relegation???? Dont speak bollocks.
    Owen cant score unlesshe has Oba in the team to make space for him.
    It is the threat that Oba causes that takes the defenders attention away from Owen.
    It is not coincidence that Owen and Newcastle looks a better player with Oba in the side.
    I never said Owen was a bad player… I said he has been a terrible investment for 17Mil… IF HE WALKS AWAY FOR NOTHING IN THE SUMMER…which I think he will.
    Only an Englishman would rate Owen a better investment than Oba and even then most would agree he has been waste of money if he walks.

• toontony

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:00 PM

swede eric Ashley is a phoney he only wears the shirt to advertise as he sells them are you actually living in newcastle or a newcastle fan?????Ashley solicitor said that llambias did say something along those lines… get real man

• hitman

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

i think oba might been on his toes in january,what do yous think lads.

• toontony

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:07 PM

Derek Llambias accused of ‘I’d slap KK’ comment
    Sep 20 2008 by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United chief executive Derek Llambias was at the centre of a ‘slapping’ storm today.

The Toon chief executive reportedly said he could have slapped manager Kevin Keegan during talks.

The remark revealing the extent of the strained relationships at the club was made as Llambias visited the Middle East with Mike Ashley and Dennis Wise in a bid to sell the club.

Ashley is also reported as being insulted with a £200m offer from Gulf businessmen for the club he is trying to offload.

A statement released by solicitor Peter Cadman, representing Ashley and Llambias, yesterday said: “Mr Ashley may well have expressed his views that the valuation of the club was too low.

“His approach was not to express disinterest in either the views or the opinions of fans.

“Mr Llambias does recall saying he was very frustrated by Mr Keegan during a negotiations meeting that he could have slapped him.”

Ashley was also said to have described an offer for the club of less than £200m from representatives of Dubai’s Royal Family as an “insult” and snubbed a meeting with them, choosing to stay in the bar with Llambias and Wise instead.

Newcastle United declined to comment on the conversation reported in today’s Daily Mirror. But it is understood Llambias feels the remark was taken out of context.

Ashley announced his intention to sell the club on the back of a defeat to Hull City on Saturday when angry fans staged protests before, during and after the game at Keegan’s departure.

In a lengthy statement, he told supporters he had “got the message” as he revealed he had ploughed £244m of his own money into the club.

But he also said there would be no fire sale.

Football finance experts say Ashley will be lucky to recoup that amount through any sale, but that does not appear to have put him off.

Sources are now claiming Ashley handed club documents to Dubai- based Zabeel Investments, which stated he wanted no less than $860m – £481m.

It is reported he was then told a £200m bid was being lined up, which led to a meeting being arranged at the Mina A’Salam Ramadan Tent, in the Madinat Jumeirah Hotel. It was due to take place at 11pm and Ashley arrived at the nearby Bahri bar more than an hour early, where he began ordering drinks.

Witnesses have told the Chronicle he was then joined by Llambias and Wise.

Wise and Llambias are said to have left the bar on a number of occasions to take phone calls, while Ashley remained inside chatting to girls.

He is then said to have not turned up for the takeover talks.

• BenjiToon

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Oba – thank you. Not sure I trust the Sun like but finally a player appears to break the silence and tell us how it is. Doesn’t all this just confirm Ashley’s approach?

I think he’d be happy to let some players go in Jan…those who are worth a bit and have bigger wages. Expensive “assets” in other words. It’s how the man works….and very sad for us.

• uche agwu

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM

Join my ‘Newcastle Challenge’ fantasy league on sky soprts fantasy the code is 5603650 . look forward to see all you true Newcastle fans over there, you can also invite me to play in your fantasy league.
    To my Naija fans join my Naija League at the premiership official site ,http://fantasy.premierleague.com,the code is 397164-84655 my email addy is scudeto40@hotmail.com. see ya

• Frankieboy

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:08 AM

KK should call in on Monday and knock that tossa Lanbiarse clean out.
    KK would have more bother putting the grandkids to bed.

You are not wanted you old fart so tke your wrinkly old heed back to the smoke.
    Oba …heart on his sleeve as always.

• Frankieboy

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:12 AM

OOOOPs just been collared by me gaffa at work for being on the site.
    Put him im the same bracket as Lambiarse