Geremi – Club Problems Not Affecting Players

Geremi, one of Newcastle most experienced players, has surprisingly said the club’s problems over the last two weeks has nothing to do with the team’s loss of form.

Geremi – problems aren’t worrying players

Geremi talked to the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“We try not to think about things and just get on with our jobs,” “The problems are not affecting us. We just have a problem with a few injuries.”“We created some positive things. We created a few chances even when we were 2-0 down but conceded some bad goals.”

“The fans see no confidence in us,” “We have to show on Wednesday that is not the case. We have to stick together. We need the fans to help us win. We need that cup, it’s a way of qualifying for Europe.”

“It is still the beginning of the season. We have time to correct things and we can do it, not get down and start getting things together but Wednesday is a big game for us.”

The only team that has less points than Newcastle in the league after 5 games played is Tottenham, and that’s who we play in the Carling Cup on Wednesday evening. Spurs have not produced anything like the form they should be showing, given all the players they signed during the summer.

It’s hard to see how Newcastle can win the game on their current form, but they need to produce some much better form soon.

We hope that will be on Wednesday evening – but the way things are going right now, don’t hold your breath.

• bowburnmag

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:19 AM

So what’s the excuse for that parcel on Saturday then Mr Geremi?

• bowburnmag

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Ah sorry, I missed the bit about “injuries”….So the injured players left behind is an excuse for the inept and insipid display we saw? I’m all for players speaking out to the fans but on this occasion it might been better to keep schtum. Or at least come out and said “Yes, we were completely horrible. Particularly me, except for my token half-decent delivery into the box”.

• Macas

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Let’s face it we have SEVEN regular first team players missing. Any team would struggle in that situation. Plus we spent £6M on an unproven kid up front when I would have much rather had a proven goalscorer. I imagine Keegan felt the same.

• Macas

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:26 AM

Plus our defence was pants. Taylor showed he will never have the intelligence to be a top class defender, and Coloccini proved he is not quite as good as some people on here made him out to be.

• figsdad

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:27 AM

he’s one of the problems he’s so slow and we need some players back from injury..

we shouldn’t even signed him bobby robson warned big sam about his legs going so did jose but we still signed him..

• bowburnmag

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Macas – there’s no excuse for the enthusiasm (0r lack of) and the sheer lack of quality. The players just didn’t seem that bothered. There were enough out there to put up a much better fight of it and to take more care over their play. Difficulties? Yes. Accepting a comfortable spanking off West Ham. Not acceptable.

• Ericles

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Any old excuse will do for some at NUFC. Saturday was shite and it was down to those on the pitch. Not those left behind, players or fans.
    Another onslaught in The Sun says most are wanting to walk out. Press garbage again. These players are contracted to NUFC not to The Sun newspaper and are expected to behave with more responsibility compared to London based reporters. As for the rumour that Dalglish may return. Never, no way. What a way to outrage the fans again and ensure relegation.

• Macas

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:34 AM

bowburnmag – you’re right, but to be honest I’m so used to losing away from home that I kind of expect it to happen. I just dont think its got anything to do with the current turmoil.

• Vitorbarbosa

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Only the defence is bad on Saturday, not the whole team. In my opinion others did enough to win the game if not for extremely poor defending on our side. We created a lot of chances, putting a lot of crosses in, and we hold the ball more than West Ham.

We lack spirit and the defenders just don’t bother to defend.

I don’t want to single out any names, but they are having absolute shocker on that day.

• Geordie Jayne

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Some of these players make me laugh – Most Geordie men would give anything to play for the TOON for nowt – these players get paid well, very well indeed. Some Pride and Fight is in order now

• Xsico golden boot

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:38 AM

what a load of tripe this man is part of the problem a sub at best colocini is good its the rest around him that are the problem young stevie taylor always takes the flak but how can you comment when bassong who is a good defender by thelooks is left on the bench edgar is being hung and zog is no left back no colo and taylor are tring to cover to much for the rest of out of position players around them.

• Len

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Come on now. Geremi didnt think this one up all on his own and I for one dont think he believes a word of it. This is the management team (broadest possible use of the phrase) trying to avoid blame.

• lesh

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Sorry guys, but the players wouldn’t be human if they weren’t affected by the situation.

I wonder if anyone with any authority and credibility has actually taken the trouble to inform them what’s going on and what the plans are?

Can’t see it some how and this is all the more reason to get behind the players on Wednesday.

• Xsico golden boot

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:45 AM

seems like they are really interested MA is so greedy leave some money for us you greedy ba****D

• WesToon

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:45 AM

@ Geordie Jayne // Sep 22, 2008 at 10:36

Couldnt agree more lass,BUT i do see where geremi is coming from i mean……

Spidey Guthrie Barton Zog

Look at how much better our midfield could be with those players in it PLUS Beye has to be added to the deffence & PLS FFS play bassong at left back

Given
    Beye Collo Taylor Bassong
    Spidey Guthrie Barton Zogs
    Owen Martins

That should be the first eleven & that team has got NO CHANCE of being relegated 🙂

Ho’way NUFC

• Geordie Jayne

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:48 AM

WesToon – that team on paper does not seem too bad at all – sadly I think it will be along before we can get them all fit at one time etc

• Toon Graeme

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I read this earlier.

So if the situation behing the scenes aint affecting the team then what was that about against hull and west ham.

So basically its all the defensive players fault we were so poor..?

They were terrible. That we cant deny.

For a time we were the better team at West Ham – but the goals deflated our work.

Put it into perspective – its goal difference that has us down there. Saturday is a must win and I think being at home we will do ok.

Could have been alot worse – at least pompey at the laughing stock after a 6 -0 spanking of Citey.

Anyone notice how citeys ground was no where near full…..

Lets go for a win on wed and win on sat.

That WILL boost not only the team – but the fans.

Anyone going on wed or just watching on SS2?

• Estranged

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Wut a load of rubbish. First off Chris Hughton is tactically inept. Edgar should really just go back to Canada. Taylor ALWAYS gives good oscar winning performances. He does one good tackle or one good clearance n makes it seem like he’s giving 200% effort. What a load of tripe. Zog is not a freakin LEFTBACK!…. it doesnt take a rocket scientist to fig dat out!.. Ridiculous

I bet u some of u guyz here can give better team selections.

Considering the injuries… Everyone WILL agree with this selection right?

………………………….Given……………………………..

Geremi…………Taylor…….Colo………….Bassong

……………….Nacho……Butt…….Zog…………………

……………….Owen……Xisco……Duff……………….

Sorry but how hard is that? Freakin cacapa in midfield???????????????? wtf is he thinkin… if nething cacapa could replace taylor.. wow im just pissed with everything…

• Bill F

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:58 AM

It’s obvious that the players are playing with no confidence or tactical nous. They haven’t all suddenly become crap. I would put a lot of it down to the team coach and preparation. I’m not saying that Houghton has himself suddenly become crap either, I just think events are to much for him to manage alone.
    Shearer picked out one incident which highlighted the teams inadequencies where Colloccini did a Dunne and turned his back on the ball rather than trying to block it. I didn’t have him down as a bottler and I hope he isn’t but you can only judge on what you see. Taylor might have his faults but always trys to get something in the way of a shot (although sometimes its his hands). The point I am trying to make is that players in the present situation because they are not sure about their team mates do not play as they should because there is no real leadership. Hope that all makes sense.

• Toon Graeme

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Estranged

On paper that is a good team.

I think every fan could come up with a good team on paper and cacapa would not have been on it.

See the difference when Bassong came on?

Roll on wed. COME ON TOON

• Tom_Toon

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Taylor is dragging Coloccini down and I am literally 10x better than Edgar.

• bowburnmag

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Tom-Toon – In fairness, Taylor didn’t stop Coloccini hoying himself in front of the 2nd goal. He looked like a reet pansy turning his back on the play. I think Coloccini did a decent job of dragging himself down. As did Taylor. They were both hapless, hence the 3 goals conceded. I don’t think they’re exactly made for each other, particularly with the apparent language barrier. I remember you arguing the toss with someone the other day (I think) about who was the better header of a ball. To be honest I’m not impressed with either on that point. Neither is a commanding presence that you’d like? Edgar is looking poor but again the initial adrenalin only counts so far. Right backs need to have good feet and be able to cross. He’s a centre half so is found wanting more often than not. Whether he’s Premiership material in the middle is highly debatable mind.

• Tom_Toon

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Edgar is a defesive midfielder.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Shays positioning was/is chronic at the moment.
    Taylors a liability at the moment.

• bowburnmag

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Tom-Toon – I’m not sure how true that is given where I’ve seen him play before but if it is then I don’t hold out much hope for him. Not a midfielder in my book.

• Greek Toon

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Very silly to suggest that turmoil at club is not having some effect on the players. A manager might make a difference, just maybe…

• Nick

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Apparently the following players want out of the club. I have to ask in all honesty that while they spout their moral outrage, what the hell have any of them done for us lately, if ever.

Steven Taylor = the geordie Bramble. Lacks intelligence

Michael Owen, = even Liverpool fans don’t want him back

Alan Smith = offers absolutely nothing but yellow and red cards

Joey Barton = embarrassment to the club and a permanent liability

Shay Given, = Great shot stopper, but at nearly 33 we have Krul & Harper

Nicky Butt, = way, way past it on huge wages

Damien Duff = way way past it and perma crock on huge wages

Mark Viduka . = the invisible man on huge wages

Oba Martins = I would keep him

Charles N’Zogbia = I would keep him, but poor attitude.

Shola Ameobi = his time has come and gone.

——————————-

I would hope any new owner would get rid of most of these in any case.

If Ashley brings back Dalglish I am sorry that really will be it for me. Allardyce was truly awful, but Kenny wasn’t far behind.

• CLINT FLICK

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Don’t want KD back.
    But at least he masterminded a historic win over Barca in the chumps league.

• Ericles

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Sadly Nick has come out with some home truths I am afraid. Taylor got his new contract and then slips back into his old ways. According to press he wants to cut and run anyway (could be media shite though). If he wants out then so much for his “I grew up in Newcastle since I was a ween” plea. Only a Geordie when it suits him. Lets have the truth from this so-called sinking ship bunch mentioned in the papers – are you stopping and fighting or are you going?

• Micky Toon

Sep 22, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Anyone who knows anything about teams and leading team knows that there had to be a team leader, in this case a manager or a coach who can get the team playing together again as a team.
    We don’t currently have a Shearer, a Roy Keane, or even a John Terry who can do it in the managers absence.
    The team needs a leader who can hold it all together when everything is going to pot. The sooner we get this person in the better.
    The person who can step up and take us forward could become a legend in Geordieland. I think most of the managers out there are scared to gamble their reputations.

• CLINT FLICK