Vital To Keep Supporting Newcastle United

Lots of fans stayed away last night, and the game itself was just terrible to watch.

Newcastle fans must keep supporting the lads

But it’s not helping the Newcastle United club or the players by not turning up, and it’s certainly not impacting Mike Ashley in any negative way.

Saying that it will hit Mike where it hurts – in the pocket – is nonsense, because he’s selling the club as soon as he can, and it’s looking like he will even get a good price for the club, if this Nigerian Consortium is for real.

A crowd of only 20,577 watched last night’s defeat, the lowest at St James’ Park since 14,083 watched a League Cup tie against Mansfield Town in 1992.

But who is that helping?  Certainly not the team, who need more help than ever right now, and the owner and Board don’t even turn up these days, so we don’t think they even care.

But let’s not make things any worse than they already are, and we know they are really tragic right now.

The fans of Newcastle United are known for their support through thick and thin (usually thin), so please let’s keep supporting the team – they obviously need a lot of help from us.

Let’s continue the great tradition of Newcastle United fans and support the team on Saturday against Blackburn Rovers, and we can make the difference.

Let’s have a full house for the lads on Saturday, and they may even be able to get the 3 points, especially if we have a new interim manager by then.

Howay The Lads!

• Dave Emmerson

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:57 PM

totally agree, lets get behind the team 101%

• Toon Chicken

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:58 PM

We are the Geordies! The Geordie Boot Boys!
    For we are mental! For we are mad!
    For we’re the loyalist football supporters!
    The world has ever had!

Ho’way lads and lasses – get behind the team and let’s celebrate a win and 3 points this weekend!

TOON TOON!!

• tyneside tommo

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:58 PM

I don’t think we should forget that Ashley is still club owner and every penny paid into the business goes into his bank account.

I’ve already paid hundreds of pounds for a season ticket. I’ve already committed myself the installment plan for the coming seasons.

Refusing to dig deeper into my pocket to find more cash for a billionaire I despite is not an act of disloyalty to the players.

It’s a demonstration that I am no longer prepared to allow Ashley to treat me as a mug.

But as a season ticket holder I will be there on Saturday.

Anyone want to take bets on whether the club’s board members will be there?

My money is on another no-show

• Southern Geordie

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Agree with your comments totally Ed, we have always been known for our loyalty – no matter how good or bad. We need to show the world that even if the players arent turning up, and last night was pretty evident of that, that we are!! Players will come and go, so will managers and so will owners (hopefully) but we remain and we are what that makes us on of the greatest teams in the world – Howay the lads and lets hear St James’ ROAR come Saturday!!

• BenjiToon

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Ed – I have to every home game for years, but last night I just couldn’t do it. I don’t really care anymore if it hurt Ashley’s pocket but I couldn’t bring myself to buy a ticket – it was staying away on principle, to show my disgust.

And the press response HAS hurt Ashley by showing the world that he is driving away the best fans around. More pressure to get oot!

I will, however, be there on Saturday. My season ticket is already bought and when I am there I WILL back the team 100 per cent. But I also reserve my right to chnat against the owner.

• Davies

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:04 PM

How I wish it was ’96 again.

• listie

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Well said Ed, I think the lack of fans shocked the team.
    I travelled nearly 500 miles round trip to go to the game last night, as i support NUFC, not the manager or lack of, or the board but the team, wee need to get behind the lads, cos watching last night they need everything they can !!!!!!!

• Matt

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:05 PM

I don’t think it’s our support of the team that’s in question.

The game was a bit shockingly poor at times. Spurs were pretty lucky to win how they did. Te goals we conceded were both poor defensive errors, so what’s new? But the trouble was we never really threatened goal with the exception of Owens late strike.

I’m sorry to keep banging on about this but why the hell is Geremi still on the field? He can’t cross past the first man from corners. He can’t cross the ball whilst moving full stop and he can’t shoot at goal from set pieces anymore so what is the point of him being there?

Put Nacho on the right, Zog on the left, Bassong left back and if you must play him put Geremi at right back. Lose Butt and put Duff in the middle (to be replaced by Guthrie when he’s back) then play Owen, Xisco and Martins up top.

We’d score so many more this way. Why can’t Hughton see who is and who is not cut out for the prem anymore. Butt and Geremi are so past it now it’s quite embarassing that they’re on the team sheet. Cut the deadwood and improve the squad without even adding players.

What I’m trying to say is that the situation can be resolved on the pitch by simply playing people where they’re ment to be played and not accepting below par performances. Drop them t the bench if they’re bad, don’t keep them their just because they’re ‘senior’ players.

• Jack

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I’m more pro Ashley and against Keegan than most Newcastle fans, but I hope this Nigerian deal goes through as quickly as possible. It’s at the point now where I just want to enjoy watching my team play football, and if that needs Keegan to be in charge (well, until he quits again) then so be it.

I think part of the downfall for me being a fan (and I was there last night, I’m moving away from Newcastle on Saturday so it’s my last game until Newcastle play in London, I expect) was reading into the stories too much. In part thanks to this blog. It’s a good service but it’s spoiling it for me because I’m getting caught up in the politics of the club too much.

As much as I disagree with what the fans are doing now, I’m just trying to concentrate on watching football and supporting the players, from now on. Except for Butt, obviously.

• Estechco

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Whilst I stayed away from both Hull and Spuds game, even I now intend to return on Saturday.

Not because a protest isn’t relevant anymore, not because MA appears to be close to selling up, but simply because it has now become blatantly clear that the team needs my/our support.

Make no mistake we’re in the sh*t big-time and despite what the players might say about it not affecting them…it clearly is.

So I will be giving 110% at the weekend and helping to get us back up the league.

If a further protest is needed at a later date then I’ll make my decision at the relevant time.

• Ericles

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Tyneside Tommo expresses much of what we all feel. We have got to support the team. Most of our players and all of the fans are going to be around when Ashley and his wide boy entourage are long out of toon. We were here before he came and we will be here when he is just a sour and bitter memory. The players need to know and hear us supporting them. Just so they remember it is a two way process. No more cashmere overcoat managers e.g., Venables, Graham, Allardyce etc, please. Want to see KK in his track suit down by the dugout again. Agree?

• Spitfire

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:18 PM

Jack
    You stun me. The team and the performance last night was a direct result of the Ashley-Wise transfer and signing policy. This is what we have with the system that is in place. Keegan saw it coming a mile off and was too proud to preside over the debacle and too honourable to have to keep lying to the fans. I just do not get people who are siding with Ashley against Keegan – it baffles me!

• Macas

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Matt – unfortunately we dont have any other players to put in, apart from risking kids with no experience. Nacho has a hamstring injury that’s why he wasn’t played.

• Spitfire

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Estecheo
    Well said mate I am with you 100%. See you at the match on Saturday

• Jamie G

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I agree with the previous blogger.
    I am from Glasgow, but as big a toon fan as the next guy so i can take more of a neutral view than a Geordie. Keegan was a great manager 10 years ago when there was no real competition and money was not the largest factor in team success.
    We say that a day is a long time football, so can u imagine 10 years? since then (And including his time since january as manager), ignoring the fact that he is a toon legend, made a very poor job in my opinion. He said when Dennis Wise was brought on board that “it was one of the reasons why i decided to come back” when referring to the recruitment team.
    so i ask is keegan not rather hypcritical and in complete breach of contract by decided to walk out.
    I think we are lucky to have a wealthy and successful owner in Ashley, but because of blind, geordie loyalism to KK, he has been made a fool of, as has the empire he was tyring to build.
    For the sake of playing affairs, i think the club must be sold because when its 50,000 against 1, theres only going to be one winner, so i would like to see the club sold on to capable people, who will appoint a manager who will have a better win-rate than KK did in his 2nd spell, which was less than 30%.
    I would like some friendly debate to my comments. God bless Newcastle.

• TOONPIPES

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Spitfire .. if Kev really cudnt abide by the policy (and im not convinced its a clear cut as you make it) .. shudnt cudnt he has seen his way to managing for say 6 months to allow MA to find a replacement … i mean, he would still have earnt about 2 mill for that period of time mind considering he obvs cos he loves to toon sooooooooooo much he wud have done it for nowt just to make sure that we didnt sink oooops, he didnt and we are sinking .. b ugger!

• Isaac Hunt

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Ask not what you can do for your team
    What have they ever done for us?

• The Second Coming

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:27 PM

I disagree with Ed entirely!

Going to the matches and paying for a ticket vindicates Ashley and lines his pockets.

The longer the stadium is empty, the quicker he will sell.

I love the club, not the owner. If players on more money a week than I am in a year can’t kick a football because of the lack of fans, they’re not professionals.

The players know what’s wrong with the supporters and understand this is not about or against them.

BOYCOTT THE CLUB…
    GET ASHLEY OUT!

• TOONPIPES

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Cos at the moment, you, along with many others are kind of saying, whey Kev cos you love the toon so much, we dont mind that you walked out and left us in the s hit …. when clearly Kev thought, had on, i dont like this, im not getting all the player i want and i dont have ultimate say on transfers cos the money men need money to pay my wages .. tho i’ll overlook that … so now im going to do one and drop this club, which i will proclaim to love like one of the fans, on its heeeead … know what i mean ? ..

• 51times

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:30 PM

There’s no point in getting into another argument about Ashley/Wise and Keegan. It’s all we’ve talked about since it happened, and I for one am sick of all the southern “fans” (ahahaha) whinging about how Keegan has left us in a mess and making snide comments about the North East. So let’s try to stick to the football, even if it is dire at the minute.

• TOONPIPES

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:32 PM

The Second Coming .. havent you realised that the whole MA out thing and boycotting the club etc etc is generating huge negativety leaving us with 19k fans at a match against a prem club … i mean surely best thing we can all do now is get right behind the team ? .. or do you want to harm the club more than you and the other Keegan is the messiah clones have already done ? . . i mean Kev and MA will come and go but we shud be supporting the team .. i think you are out of control frankly

• Spyro - Taylor is garbage

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM

When do Barton & Guthrie return?

• TOONPIPES

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM

51 times.. you want to leave it cos its dawning on you that you mebs shud have been a little more open minded about the whole thing ? .. apologies of course if you were not one of the people who supported the COCKNEY MAFIA OUT thing .. also .. perhaps you shud consider how sick us northerners are from the way we are being portrayed by narrow minded individuals who cannot see past Keegan the Messiah posters they had on their wall in 1997 and want to buy the club at the lowest economic point in the countrys recent history ? ..

• Jamie G

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM

i agree – ‘the second coming’s thoughts are just plain foolish, and in the worst interests of the club. Be smart, and support your team.

• Spyro - Taylor is garbage

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Gutierrez and Guthrie need to be back for the Everton game

• Geordie Jayne

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I’ve just had an awful thought. What if Ashley put Veneables on a long contract costing millions of pounds and it would be the new owners whoever they would be will cost a fortune to get rid of him

• Spitfire

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Toonpies

Ashley has created this mess not Keegan

• Geordie Jayne

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Spitfire I agree – Keegan is not here and Ashley & Co still can’t sort it out

• Spitfire

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM

GeordieJayne

Exactly. Well said.

• Toon Chicken

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM

I posted this on another thread but just wanted to see what fellow Geordies and toon fans made of it. IMO another Geordie in the media making us look like fools – and just to underline how ridiculous this guys comments were about there being a few “anti-cockeneye” banners ootside SJP b4 the game SSN showed footage of the fans in the Hull game while this fool was harping on – the dik!

Another Geordie on SSN making a total mug of himself, and what’s worse apparently he’s a spokesman for the “fans”(?)!!!

Steve Wraith – Players Inc. Mag Editor (does anyone read that?)

Anyway – apparently this whole “cockeneye mafia” thing was made up by the press (who are also naughty cockeneyes I suppose) – apparently the Geordies love cockeneyes really…

Ok then Steve, so what about the “get the cockeneye mafia out” banner that was paraded around SJP and applauded by almost every single fan in the ground?? Did the press make that up too?

What was even funnier though was his theory that Arsenal base the way they play football on Keegan’s Newcastle team of the mid-90’s.

Yep that’s right – not the great Madrid, Milan, Barca and Ajax teams of old. Not Brazil. Nope, Arsene Wenger learned everything he know’s from watching tapes of the toon according to our man Steve.

Friggin hell – I hope this Steve fella has Sky plussed himsel so he can see what an idiot he sounds.

• Spyro - Taylor is garbage

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Both Ashley AND Keegan have created this to a degree. MA for his poor chairman appointment, causing poor communication with the fans, and KK because he left the club in the lurch. The mere fact that people on here use “KK has pride and dignity” as an excuses simply reinforces the fact that he put himself before the club…poor.

• It Could Be Worse, We Could Be Spurs! (DC)

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:41 PM

So we had first dibs at the available CBs during the summer. Kompany, Cuellar and Collocini.

Anyone still think we picked the best option?

• The Second Coming

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:41 PM

“or do you want to harm the club more than you and the other Keegan is the messiah clones have already done ? ”

Wise up! There’s nothing more that can really harm Newcastle than employing another Cockney numpty as manager, just to rub our noses in the ‘Cockney Mafia’ myre.

I’ll let the Keegan reference slip as it’s a cause of Ashley’s ownership and detracts from the current situation. Let’s discuss it when the ‘Newcastle at heart’ owner sells for at least a £100,000,000 profit!

I’ve been supporting Newcastle since the 80’s and have never turned my back on it. This is about principal and if you’re too shallow to realise the ramifications of simply sliding back into the ground then that’s your short minded right.

I’ll be back when Ashley’s gone. I just hope it’s sooner rather than later.

BOYCOTT THE CLUB… (temporarily)
    ASHLEY… SELL UP.

• 51times

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:42 PM

TOONPIPES – That doesn’t matter, those creatures down south will hate us regardless. It’s not a Kevin Keegan thing or a Newcastle United thing, it’s not even a football thing, it’s just prejudice.

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:43 PM

(dc)-think you might have to change your name sadly mate 🙁 lol

• Spyro - Taylor is garbage

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:43 PM

calm down 51 your getting paranoid again

• Toon Chicken

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Geordie Jayne – how’s it gannin pet.

I dunno if you caught up with the blog from last neet at all – the one where some clown posing as me was claiming Gazza had popped his clogs.

You seemed to think I’d escaped from the asylum or something. Well I can assure you it wasn’t me and Ed has sorted it. Apologies if you were a bit upset/offended by it.

I might be a bit mad right now but I sure as hell aint crazy!

• Spyro - Taylor is garbage

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Yes i still think Coloccin iwas the best option. Kompany plays alongside a better defender than Taylor, and plays in midifield a lot anyay. Cueller will also play alongside a better defender than Taylor.

• 51times

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Toon Chicken – Well, I’ll agree with you there, saying The Entertainers were responsible for the football Arsenal play is embarassing. I wouldn’t say it’s total football but it’s the closest anyone will realistically get in the modern game.

• rooks

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:46 PM

“The longer the stadium is empty, the quicker he will sell”

not necessarily – the longer the stadium is empty the bigger the Gulf bewteen Ashley’s already outrageous valuation of the club and any perspective buyers valuation = Stalemate & at this rate relegation.

Don’t want Keegan back though (sorry)

1 2 3 6