Kinnear – Nigerian Consortium Is Ashley’s First Choice

Joe Kinnear has talked further about the job he has taken for around 5 weeks at Newcastle United, in his shock announcement as the new manager at the Tyneside club.

Joe Kinnear – shock new Newcastle interim manager

Joe talked again last night about the significant challenge he’s accepted at the Tyneside club:

“I’m not scared of a fight “I’m going in with my eyes open and if I do have a successful spell then you don’t know where it will lead.”

“I’m not daft enough not to know that they’ve tried everyone else and everybody else has turned their back on it. What I intend to do is make an instant improvement at the club. After that, of course, I know that I won’t be there.”

“(Mike) Ashley phoned me last night after Terry Venables turned it down and I met him and talked things over. He made it quite clear that he hopes to have the club sold by the end of October. He said I had a good track record of keeping teams afloat.”

“I worked it out that I would be in charge for between six and eight games. But he assures me that they have a buyer and the consortium coming in have Kevin Keegan lined up, and possibly Alan Shearer. I’m well aware of the situation.”

“Good luck to Kevin if he’s coming back in. He’s the fans’ choice and you know what the fans are like, they call the tune in many respects.”

Newcastle fans were largely mystified yesterday by the appointment of Kinnear, which came right out of the blue, but the likely prospect of a buyout being completed shortly, is good news for Geordie fans:

Kinnear continued:

“I’m led to believe that the Nigerian (NVA Management) consortium is their first choice [of buyer] and Keegan might be back. What matters at the moment is that we steady the ship, get some confidence back in the players and return to playing in the manner that the fans like to see.”

“I just hope the fans realize I’m in there doing the best I can. I’ve good experience of the game and I’ve never been one to back down from a challenge. And this is a big one.” “The worrying thing for me is that there are nine players injured long-term and all nine would be in the side.”

“However, I am very excited about the challenge in front of me. Results have not been great of late, but there is a lot of quality in the squad and I am very confident the players are capable of climbing the league table.”

If the Nigerian consortium is for real, and it’s looking more that they are, than that would seem to provide a reasonable chance of having the club bought quickly, and if the figures Chris Nathaniel is quoting are accurate, it would give owner Mike Ashley a significant profit on the deal.

But also, when things get close to a deal don’t be surprised if other buyers show up. However, the important thing is to get the club sold quickly, and get a new long term manager in, so that this particular nightmare is over as soon as possible.

It’s a big opportunity for Joe to show what he’s made of, since he has been out of football for a few years, and if he can do a good job, it could lead to bigger and better things for him.

We hope he does really well, for both the club’s sake and his own, and Joe certainly has the right attitude, and as far as we are concerned, he fully deserves our support.

We’re not sure what the logic would be in not supporting him, since he’s come into a difficult job and wants to do the best he can for Newcastle United – and that cannot be too bad surely.

• toontony

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Saw kinnears interview on ssn last night,fairplay to the bloke for having the balls to take the job.
    But have some concerns about what he said, has Ashley not just told him to say things or filled him full of lies to calm the fans.
    Kinnear told us more last night in 5 mins that Ashley has all year.He said ashley told him he would be
    In charge for 6 games
    The club will be sold by Oct
    He is talking to 2 Consortiums
    They want to bring Keegan back
    Has he not just said what fans want to hear ashley gagged everyone so far so why would he let Kinnear say all this.
    Until it happens dont believe a word of it…hope i am wrong.
    Come Oct if we havent sold do they just say carry on joe your doing a good job and give him another 6 weeks?

• Hadrian

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Why the nigerians?

are they the best thing for the club or the best thing for ashley ?
    altho its a bit late now to start assuming he’s going to put us before his personal interests , were going to get flogged to the highest bidder by the looks of things , even if they are not the best investors for the club .

hopefully the nigerians will have other revenue streams in mind when purchasing newcastle , we need sustained investment in the squad and thats not really possible if any new investor is looking to take profit from us within the first couple of year .
    that doesnt make newcastle any less attractive an investment , what with the land their for development (assuming mike is selling that , heard whispers its not part of the deal!! ) and the scope for growth this club has .
    16th richest club in europe without any sucsess on the pitch ! we have loads of room to grow into , and tapping into the african market may bring additional income i suppose .

• Mag1Pie

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:36 AM

This is mass propoganda….but the only thing is that the board as they shown to have a lack of credibility, patheticness, business ethics,etc. still dont realise that NUFC fans won’t believe a word they say…..I mean have they not realised that by now that no one believes them….how can they keep piling on the lies….I truelly hope that no one does business with Fatty Boy MA anymore because he is more corrupt than anyone here…

• Davec

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:42 AM

My view is that it can’t be any worse with Kinnear than it has been of late. Hopefully, he will put a bit of steel and determination back into the team as Hutton does not seem able to do so.

As for th KK AS manager and the Nigerian buyout, bring it on. It can’t be worse than it has been the last few months and with luck could finally be what all “true” NUFC fans want. That is, stability, good attacking flowing football and a shot at some success longer term.

Here’s hoping and the best of luck to Kinnear as we all need him to do well for us.

• SuperShearer

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:44 AM

I think this Nigerian Consortium is a hoax concocted by Ashley to drum up interest from others. Just a theory 😉

• ronjohno

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Nobody can seriously think that Ashley is going to be bothered what is best for NUFC can they?
    It is only to be expected that he is going to go for the best deal for him and no one should think any different.

• k k forever

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:46 AM

TOONTONY i know wot u mean about ashley telling him .but that nigerian bloke mentioned keegan the other day dint he mate

• GeordieDeb

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Agree with ToonTony. While we would never in a million years have thought of or wanted Joe Kinnear as interim manager, he’s now here, seems to be realistic and we need to get behind him and the team. Despite all the talk in the papers this morning it’s to be hoped that the players also try to make the best of a bad situation and show us their professionalism over the coming games till this mess is sorted. At least Kinnear has had the balls to do it while many others have turned us down. For that reason alone we need to get behind him.

• oztoon

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:47 AM

The sooner the club is bought the better it will be for the club (i hope). The club needs stability we need to stick with a manager for at least a few years to give them some chance of moving up on the ladder . Newcastle has to forget that we were close to winning it 10 years ago and that we were everyones second team because at the moment the true newcastle suppoters would have trouble supporting us. There is no short term solution for this club we to give the future owners time to help fix this mess.

• Geordie Jayne

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:51 AM

SuperShearer & Mag1pie – I too am feeling very very uneasy about all of this. Why let Kinnear tell us what is going on – Very very uneasy about this

• Nick C

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:57 AM

My particular conspiracy theory worry is that Kinnear has been told to let his mouth go about future consortiums, KK, Shearer etc by Ashley to buy time.
    If Kinnear had arrived with the usual wall of silence from St James Park the fans would have been in uproar again today.
    I also share Hadrians concern about selling to anyone. He certainly wont care about the future welfare of NUFC will he??

• Sav

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

I reckon we could have done a lot worse than JK. He’s a decent bloke and no nonsense manager as you can tell by his comments. He was seriously tipped as the Ireland manager a few years back but in their wisdom, the FAI were worried about his health issues at the time.

However, what Kinnear has been told and is now feeding to the press about a Nigerian consortium, a definite sale and a Keegan/Shearer partnership) is another matter. He is getting it from Ashley whom I don’t trust who is already using Joe as a mouthpiece to quell the fans while not commiting himself in any way. It’ll be ‘I never made any comment to that effect’ if none of i comes off.
    I think the fans should support the team, as always, but boycott the purchases at SJP. We stilll want Ashley out. Any new owner needs to know the fans will not tolerate the lack of commitment we now have. I hope he does not make a profit on the sale, either because it sends out the wrong message to speculators like Ashley that they can come in, screw up and still walk away with 100 million profit. That is wrong. And if the new owner has a spare 100 million, I know where I’d like to see it spent.

Lastly, the Nigerian Consortium, whoever they are, could be worse than ‘fans friend’ Ashley. We just don’t know. There have been some scumbags buying Premier League clubs – we’ve had our share – I truly hope they are committed and fair-minded as, if this sorry episode in magpie history means anything, they are ultimately the most important people in influencing any club.

• BenjiToon

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Last night I was very cynical about Kinnear’s comments. How much does he really know? Does he have a hot-line to the Nigerians or to Keegan? No. He’s based what he’s saying on Ashley and we already know where trusting that man’s word gets you!

But, I applaud Kinnear’s honesty. At least he’s straight talking. I guess he has nothing to lose right? He knows he’s only around for a few weeks so what does it cost him to let his mouth go? He could be spinning a story to buy time for MA, and his persona pal Wise…but we don’t know.

I’ve said before that we don’t have to support the club’s hierachy (including the manager) just because we a loyal to the Toon. We support the club and back the team to get results on the pitch, but have a right to criticise and publicly too. That said, lets cheer the lads for 3 points today!

On the Nigerians….well, if they really are Ashley’s first choice (and again, who really knows?) then that makes me nervous. But it surely can’t be worse? Can it? And Chris Nathaniel at NVA is actually a decent bloke it seems, who does understand the football world. So there’s some positives there. But if you watched SSN this morning they are saying there are two more consortiums “working quietly in the background”…lets wait and see.

• Sav

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

My guess would be that Ashley is having about as much luck in finding a buyer as he has in finding a manager. Why would anyone commit while Ashley is doing such a good job of devaluing the club? The longer they wait, the lower the price will be.
    There’s a credit crunch on, we are in freefall, everyone knows exactly what he’s paid out and it seems likely that he’s screwed up in finding any buyer in the Middle East, at least for now. Ashley’s own losses elsewhere have also been well-publicised and he’s turned from a shrewd and discreet businessman to a loud-mouthed PR disaster in 2 months.
    The longer any potential buyer waits, the cheaper the club will be while fatso sweats buckets. Unfortunately, our prospects of relegation loom large while this game goes on. I would imagine any new buyer will wait until November/December to make their move so as to pull our nose out of the dive in time to stay up.

• Sav

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:25 AM

• BenjiToon

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Sav – you said that twice mate.

• BenjiToon

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Sav – you said that twice mate. (So did I!)

• Marty

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:45 AM

ASHLEY is in the S+++ter big time if this is just a load of cack……..he will not be forgiven too easy round these parts.
    Sell quickly,but if its 500 mill its way over the odds.
    FAT BOY doesn`t deserve so much more than he paid

• Toon Graeme

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I agree with the majority on here. There has been nil info from SJP and suddenly a temp manager comes in a spells out the future mentioning the fans hero’s.

Im letting his management do the talking and sit back and wait to see what happens over the next few weeks.

I dont doubt that a buyer is in the line up. I have no control over who it is so am not going to comment of whether its nigerian or arab or chinese of origin.

The immediate it the curse of NUFC. Injuries galore and no sqaud as back up.

I feel if we did more in the transfer window then we wouldnt have the selection problems we have now. But thats the past and this is the now and we have to sit back and wait til 3pm today and see what happens.

I hope we have 3 points today. Blackburn are inconsistant at the moment so hopefully we can do well and that the mackems get beat off villa.

Guthrie will be back next match so that gets rid of cacapa.

Why is it our team always gets crocked to the core. Im sure SA was looking into that before he got sacked.

I give JK my backing to see what he can do.

COME ON TOON!

• wiindo

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:53 AM

SERIOUSLY, why NVA went public that and TOLD EVERYBODY that they want to buy

• Sav

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:56 AM

There’s an echo in here!
    Good article by Luke Edwards (Journal) pointing out that Kinnear appointment highlights limitations of Wise and Jimenez as Ashley had to find him and do the deal himself. All previous candidates (Venables, Hoddle, Poyet,Ince etc.) were just Wise’s ex-teammates or managers. So much for an extensive range of world-wide contacts! Same with Jimenez and his Spanish telephone book. Incidentally, Wise left the dons 2 years before Kinnear arrived – so much for anti-toon drivel in The Mirror today.

What is forgotten and makes me angry is that its not Wise per se that Keegan couldn’t deal with. But chiefly the budget Ashley was prepared to spend despite a pathetic squad and the measures taken to cope with that, such as sale of Milner and proposed sale of others.
    Yet the same greedy get wants to make 100 million-plus profit on the club. Was it not then worth the investment of, say, another 20 million in the summer to put wheels on it? Ashley is the root of our problem. Wise is merely a shortarse in a job he’s not qualified to do.

• save the toon

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:18 PM

i think ashley has set them up to push other idders prices up

• Sav

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM

I’m not sure Joe Kinnear will be a whole lot worse than Terry Venables, but if Venables was the man Ashley wanted, and he believes the club is worth £100-£150 million more than he’s put into it, why not offer him a 6 month contract to manage it?
    At worst, the new owners would tell Ashley they were deducting the money from the asking price to pay off the manager’s contract. What’s that – 2.5 million?
    – only a million more than Dennis Wise for sitting on his arse in London between transfer windows.

• Obafan

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Good luck Mr Kinnear, you seem to be the only manager who wants to take this challenge. Thanks for that cause we need to steady the sinking ship.

I don’t know what to think about all the comments he has made about the buyers etc. Let us just hope that he is not copying the lies of a certain individual called Ashley, but that he understands the fact that the fans need to know things about thier favourite club.

Why does Ashley want the Nigerians?

I think they are the only part who wants to pay that much for the club.

• ObaFan2

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Ashley has just had a huge bashing on radio 5 live by all of todays football commentators, to say they were critical would be an understatement.

As they are all football people, they are united in disbelief that Ashley is so incompetant as a club owner. Also they point out that 6 to 8 games would take us to mid November…. something I was thinking tbh.

Anyway lifes never dull as a NUFC fan…….

I must say I agree with the people wondering why information is rife all of a sudden coming from Ashley… smell of more BS if you ask me.

Kinnears interview now on BBC1 is really strange too…. he looks and sounds like he’s a worried man already……. I hope he does well.

• pit yaka

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:39 PM

One things for sure after all this, Wise is finished in football forever, no one will touch him!!!!

• Chris_toon

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:24 PM

i want to know why the nigerians are so keen to stump up the extra 50 – 100 mill it all just seems a bit to fake unless the nigerians kno summat us or MA don’t the i’m not so sure about these nigerian investors – especiall the track record the nigerians have got for being a bit fraudulent :-S

• reillers

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Is anyone else a wee bit concerened about our current “manager.”
    We’re talking about a man who’s had to walk out of managerial jobs before now with health problems stemming from heart problems. Newcastle isn’t exactly the best place for someone with a heart problem to be, hell it’d have a strain on a wee young healthy lad. I can’t see this ending well.

Just a wee bit, amongs other things, concerened about that.

• ELFER

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Althought it sounds like a cliché, I don’t like to idea of having africans in the board to manage the club…I think the mentality leads to another even bigger disaster…

• turkish magpie

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:50 PM

i reckon if morale is high 2day about the buzz of the new manager score

nufc 4-1 blackburn scorers,xisco 3 owen 1 tugay 1

if we win it’ll be amzing

• terry

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:03 PM

what eva u call ur name(ELFER ) , i see u look so idiot to talk about africa ???

• craig chisholm

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM

i dont trust anything ashley or anyone says inc joe k. simple as. they are all full of crap. i am not even sure if the nigerian bid even exists. .there is far too much information coming forward, the info that asley knows we want t hear – its a con.

• 'Busa

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:34 AM

The club needs to be supported, immaterial of who is the owner or who is the manager…

Stop whingeing and whining, the situation we have with MA is due to him trying to get the club to be financially sound and give it a future, the fans don’t want that obviously.
    This isn’t about NOW, there needs to be a future for the club, its not looking too bright at the moment.

• Angryman the angry fan

Sep 28, 2008 at 9:36 AM

A Question to the CASHLEY LOVING BRIGADE!

9 Players all out injured, all would be in the first team!!

Who was responsible for ensuring that we had plenty of cover for these players, and which Manager kept professing that if we had injuries we could be in trouble??

Come on SPYRO/STARDUST, TOONPIPES, CLUCKERBOY, BOATER, CLINTA, JONAS, MICHAEL12, MICKY TOON, C’Mon, where are you all with your CASHLEY is the greatest thing to happen to our club, come on, defend your master!!!

Point is, that is indefencable really, he shouldnt have told us so many LIES!!

Seems he is at it again saying to the poor sod in charge that the new consortium has KK and AS lined up!! LIAR!!!

The man is still making you lot look like a bunch of thick P*icks!!

I think it is funny!

• Angryman the angry fan

Sep 28, 2008 at 9:42 AM

Lets give JK as much support as we possibly can.

Vocally at the games, this will go a long way to picking up the boys’ heads hopefully to see we are all behind him and them!!

You have to feel sorry for the bloke, its got to be worse than a slave being thrown to the lions, what the fat scumbag CASHLEY is doing to him. Every penny he gets he deserves!!

But lets continue to boycott match day purchases, there are plenty of greasy spoons and boozers outside the ground that you get a better quality pint and bait than inside, lets not fill Fat Mans pockets before he does one!!