Shay Given – We Need Permanent Manager

It seems like Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given was as surprised as anyone yesterday, when the club announced Joe Kinnear’s appointment as manager on a short-term contract until around the end of October.

Shay Given – wouldn’t say I was pleased with appointment

Shay talked after the appointment yesterday:

“I wouldn’t say I was pleased an appointment has been made. I mean the club is still up for sale and we haven’t got a permanent manager, so I wouldn’t say pleased. But it’s going somewhere, I suppose.”

“I don’t know if it’s a good thing or a bad thing to be honest. I don’t know what to say, where to start, but in an ideal world, we’d like the club sorted out and a permanent manager brought in.”

“Joe Kinnear’s just coming to oversee things until we get one. It is not an ideal situation I don’t think, but we have to make the best out of it.”

“The owner has obviously come out and said he wants to sell the club so I think the sooner the better, so we can all move forward. It could be eight weeks, it could be longer, or shorter. It could be done tomorrow.

“You just don’t know. We don’t know as players what is happening really, but there is just a lot of uncertainty around the club and it’s not helping anyone.”

Of course we have an important game this afternoon against Blackburn, and if we don’t improve our performance over the last 4 games, let’s be honest, we will lose this match too.

The players seems to have fallen apart mentally since Keegan left, and there’s little excuse for that from professional players, who after all get paid very handsome wages to play the game well.

Shay added:

“He’s not taking over until Monday so really I’m just concentrating on the Blackburn game. I don’t know the man really. I’ve met him, said hello like, but that’s about where it starts and finishes you know.”

“The most important thing for the players is to concentrate on trying to beat Blackburn and on Monday we’ll probably meet him and take care of that. We’ve got a big game and not one person has asked me a question about that. That’s what we are trying to focus on. It is a massive game for everyone.”

“It doesn’t matter if the new manager, or even the new owner, comes in next week, nothing can be done until January regarding the size of the squad so we can’t do anything about the group of players in there at the minute. We have to focus on the Blackburn game and the games coming up and that’s what we shall do.”

Shay is right, and the players have to concentrate on the game this afternoon against Blackburn, after the terrible second half display we gave against Spurs on Wednesday night.

The lads need to wake up mentally and start to earn their wages, since we know they can play a lot better than they’ve been doing of late, even if these are difficult circumstances.

Comments always welcome.

• Dan13

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Aww well, i;ve always liked shay as an individual and a player.

• toooooonfan

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM

hasn’t he heard what kinnear has to say then?

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM

The players should keep their own counsel…& just get on with playing football…That’s what their paid to do!..
    …I just hope Kinnear has the nuts to pick a proper team while he’s here…Defo not my prefered choice but wish me all the best while he attempts to get us back to some credible football…Well, here goes!..

• bill

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:03 AM

The problem is one temp has been replaced by another. I cannot see what has changed.

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Btw,
    no shit Shay-lock!..

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Well at least Kinnear is a manager & Hughton isn’t…So…

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Him not me…Comment 3…Der…Too wishful thinkin’ there like… 😀

• Xsico golden boot

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:08 AM

why should shay keep his own council maybe its because so many people in the club don’t comunicate we are in this mess punk skunk

• oztoon

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:08 AM

The players are getting paid good money and should try actually earning it. We might be without a manger but surely they have played with each other enough to realise we do have some talent and should be beating teams like hull at home.

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Because it just gives the rancid rags more ammo to use against us…

• BenjiToon

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Skunk – nah mate, under these circumstances I think senior players with clearly proven loyalty to the club can and should speak their mind.

If we had a strong leader in the boardroom and as manager then I’d think differently, but we don’t. And if the hierachy of the club (not the interim manager) actually talked to the fans, then again I would expect the players to shut up and get on with their jobs. But this situation is different.

What we need is people who care about the club’s success to show their feelings, and to communicate their wishes. Shay is saying “get things sorted Mr Owner” and “get us a proper manager” and “we can’t focus properly on the football till all this is fixed”. That sounds like good sense and its a strong message from the clubs longest serving player (apart from Harper), our most capped international (apart from Owen) and one of the most respected professionals in the Premier League.

Glad he’s spoken out.

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Funny how they speak out off the pitch, but not on it!..
    …Ho’way lads, do y’talkin’ on the pitch, please!..

• Xsico golden boot

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM

The rags write what they want any way so yes Shay can have his say he was asked questions and answered them and I am sure Mr Given is no liar like our board and owner

• BenjiToon

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Err Skunk…I think Shay does a lot of talking on the pitch. If you want to criticise a player for letting us down then mouthing off pick someone else. Have a bit of loyalty lad…at least Shay does.

• k k forever

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:31 AM

we will win today and then we miye end up in top half ov the table by 445 hope so any way

• k k forever

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:31 AM

U RITE BEN TOON

• reillers

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Punkskunk I mean really what’s the problem here, every single coment you’ve made recently has been you whining about Given over and over again and if I’m honest it’s getting a wee bit old. You give out about him constantly. It would be one thing if he deserved it but he’s been one of if not our best player this season. He’s been one of few who’s earned his paycheck.

He’s right though it’s not ideal, because we’ve solved nothing. It’s like putting a wee plaster on a gun shot wound and hoping it’ll work.
    And usually when Shay speaks out, it usually always refeclts the mood and thoughts of the rest of the camp, and it’s usually Given or Harper who does it. I’d be pretty pised off too if I was one of the players. They know about as much as we do, less even because they don’t read the papers, the board hasn’t talked to them which in my opinion is the height of ignorance.
    He’s pissed off and rightly so, I know I’d be and like I said, what he’s thinking is usually what everyone else is thinking to.

• reillers

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM

Punk Skunk..He’s one of the only ones who does his talking on the pitch. I think if you looked you’d find he’s got most MOTM so far this season.

• Davy C

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:51 AM

I agree Ed, Shay is spot on. In the rest of the interview he states that he and the rest of the players did not want Keegan to go. They were happy with him, had a focus and could see good things in the future.

That’s what a manager is for. So Spyro, you and your cronies can stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Waits for the statistics to start but is actually off to the match so can’t wait long!

• Spyro - Taylor is garbage

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I don’t smoke a pipe

• toonoot

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Joking ‘ere will be taking live from SJP on FF – BBC1

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I think i’ve explained ‘my problem’…But, hey ho, y’wanna think what you want…Get on with it!..

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Shay smokes a Meersham(sp) tho’!..

• toonoot

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:16 PM

SuperMac gives a good spiel

• k k forever

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:21 PM

WARE CAN U GET A LINK FOR TODAYS GAME DUS ANY ONE KNOW

• toonoot

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Let’s be positive. The bong is half full. 3 points today and we can chill out tonight.

• save the toon

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM

ashley has set made up this nigerians to push others prices up
    its just strange that it goes public and joe kiner says it aswell
    come on who in there right mind would pay 400m for a club in free fall

• save the toon

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM

i hate to say it but im expecting defeate today

• toonoot

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:24 PM

There’s the door. Time to go. toon army!

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Toonoot… 😀

• toonoot

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Laters lads. Keep the faith

• save the toon

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:25 PM

?

• Spyro - Taylor is garbage

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Save the toon

I agree with you about the MA & Nigerian set up.

• mozza

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM

alreet punk, am taking the bairn to her first match today, her grades have went through the roof and promised ad take her, its her first match, poor thing eh, should be a feckin punishment not a reward

• save the toon

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM

NEWCASTLE TILL I DIE NEWCASTLE TILL I DIE WERE NEWCASTLE WERE NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE TILL I DIE!

LEVEL 7 IN THE CONER TODAY CM ON

• Punk Skunk

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Whatche’or mozza…
    …Hope it’s a great 1st game for the young ‘un & doesn’t put her off like!.. 😀

…I’m off oot with the Mrs & bairn, talk to y’later mate…

…Toon, Toon…B&W army!..
    …Ho’way!..

• mozza

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM

aye save the toon and spyro, al buy into that theory as well

• mozza

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM

see ya later punk m8

• dougnufc

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Considering Owen’s recent scoring record (11 goals in 15 games) I expect him to score another

• eltsacwen

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:34 PM

any links to watch the game today