Sir John Hall – Premier League Clubs Like Toys

Sir John Hall, who paved the way for sports retail tycoon Ashley to buy Newcastle United last year by suddenly selling his over 40% stake in the club, feels Newcastle will now fall in to foreign ownership.

Sir John Hall – club will have foreign owners

Sir John Hall talked to Radio Five Live’s Sportsweek:

”There’s nobody in Britain wealthy enough who’d be interested in investing in a football club. Who has this sort of mega-money?””Even Mike Ashley was finding it difficult with his wealth because £200M is a lot of money. Premier League clubs are being bought as toys.”

“They’ll have them for a few years, then throw them away. These people don’t know the passion of the fans. The Premier League is a tremendous brand but I fear for the game and for the fans.”

“When I met Mike Ashley and his advisors, they had the best intentions for the club,”  “He wanted to stay there and develop it, so I feel sad for him and sad for the club.”

“He’s a good businessman but a novice in the game, as I was when I first came into it. He was coming in to build for the long run and he is a football fan. He had a long-term vision.”

We agree it will not be good for the game, if for example the new Manchester City owners go about in January trying to buy players for £100M. If they do that, where does that leave the soul of the Manchester club?  Then they’d be like Chelsea are right now – a top club only because £350M has been spent on players – give me a break.  That’s what John Hall is talking about.

It’s not at all surprising the biggest game in the world, and the best league in the world, has foreigners wanting to buy into the Premier League clubs. It’s truly a world market right now, and we believe there’s quite a few buyers who have come into the fray for Newcastle, since Keith Harris was appointed last week.

There’s a potential South African partnership in for the club, but that was reported in the News Of The World, so lacks some credibility, but don’t be surprised if a Russian enters the fray, since they are a football loving country with lots of billionaires over there.

We understand there are now seven offers for the club, that Ashley and Harris believe are for real, and Harris will be recommending one of these to Mike by the end of the week.

Things should then move quickly from that point.

• Ian

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Hall is the man who got us in this mess.

The rich people of England appear to know Ashley’s character, I do not beoieve that Hall didnt also know, Hall is telling us he sold out to someone who he knew had no idea of the game and wasnt even a fan.

Well Hall did amazing things for Newcastle when he first joined the board but from the point of where he thought of himself as a celeb, then forced Shepherd into sacking Robson he has gone from bad to worse.

He is bettter off sat on his lawn tractor at Wynyard and keeping his mouth shut, although he appears to have upset everyone there too with his plans to build a hospital in the back garden of his executive estate he built and sold for top money.

Cant stand the man anymore he is a real pain in the backside.

• skin d

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM

aye john you didn,t put in 600,ooo ,and walk away with a massive profit when you got bored of it.
    respect john for putting NUFC on the map again,but in the end he walked away a far wealthier man than when he started,not saying he wasn,t rich before,but you know what i mean.
    john hall is trying to take the moral high ground at this moment,but never forget that it was the hall,s that foisted that watford con man on us !!!!.

• SuperShearer

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:14 AM

I’m secretly hoping that Ambani is in those seven interested parties. Not because he is mega rich, which helps, but because he showed an interest before all this kicked of. Not convinced by the Nigerians or the South Africans to be honest. I have a feeling that we won’t of heard of the buyer until it’s all wrapped up, that is the best way to conduct your business affairs.

• samthecat

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM

You cant go back, what can you do say that all clubs must have British owners-too late for that.
    True its like a giant game of Monopoly but remember Man City were once in the 3rd Division and Hull were in the 4th division.
    Money is important but as Newcastle have found out you need far more than that to be successfull.

• Sav

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:38 AM

I’ve not much time for any of them, Hall, Shepherd or Ashley. They’re all in it for what they can get out of it. At least Hall can claim to have left the club a lot healthier than when he started, aside from leaving us stuck with his idiot son.

But we mustn’t forget that Ashley can still today contribute to the revival of this club by sacking Wise and bringing in Keegan – there’s no point keeping Wise on anyway as Ashley has already stated he won’t be investing in any more playing staff – or by lowering his asking price to what he put in, to expedite a sale. But pigs might fly. Anything else and he continues to fully deserve the scorn of Newcastle fans.

• Zuton The Great

Sep 29, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Hail Geordie Earthlings, I have just returned from the Inter Galactic soccer cup. And am sad to see the sorry state of affairs created by the Great Blob who owns your illustrious team.
    To this end I have decided to buy your club for 5 hundred million interstellar plexions. Once I have control I intend to import some the the finest intergalactic soccer stars at vast cost.
    Including Girven the multi armed goalkeeper and Taylbong an 8 foot biped with two heads. The big purchase will be Amboeni the invisible goal scorer, oh sorry apparently you already have him. I might have to settle for a Mr Messi, although I thought he was a cartoon character.
    I will make my offer in writing very soon once I have sorted out the exchange rates and once one of you kind Geordies are able to furnish bank details through which I can conduct my business. Obviously you will receive a large stipend for your assistance. Although I may need a small administration fee to set up the transfer.
    Yours celestially
    Zuton The Great

• Punk Skunk

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:31 PM

john hall is a tory…
    …Always was, always will be…He was in it for the money & any glory he could glean…Simple as…

• BenjiToon

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM

Thanks for the sympathy Sir John, and thanks for selling me your club so that I could ruin it and still make a profit. Thanks aso for staying cunningly quiet when all those people protested, so that you didn’t have to come out and criticise me. And thanks once more for suddenly jumping to my defence just when I’m about the leave and its too late for fans to criticise you for supporting me.

Any chance you have a spare £400m to spend?

Yours
    Mr Ashley

• mark

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:32 PM

the comment on here are disgraceful, if it wanst for sir john hall we would be nowere, he made newcastle what it is today and at the age of 73 decided to sell a club that he went through hell with to a billionaire how the f**k was he ment to know that ashley was going to do this to the club half the people on here are thick and obv dont have a brain cell between them. John Hall did everything he could for this club and its a disgrace that any of you can slate him for selling the club at his age to some one he thought had the funding to take us forward

• Punk Skunk

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM

He was/is STILL a tory biatch!..
    …thatchers best mate/business man…

…Regardless of what he did for NUFC…

• mark

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:52 PM

what does his political views have to do with what he did for the club. mate u give newcastle fans a bad name with how stupid your comments are. fool

• Punk Skunk

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Mark,
    there’s much more stupid things said on here than my political comments…
    …All i’m sayin’ is, & i think it relates to what’s goin’ on now: john hall IS amoney/businessman, ring any bells?..
    …Just ‘cos he was from ’round here & put money into NUFC(took plenty out also!)…Doesn’t make him a saint!..& what’s more, his tory leanings show up his REAL agenda…TO MAKE MONEY!..

• Punk Skunk

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:15 PM

& also,
    how the hell does someone havin’ any political nouse give Geordies a bad name?..

• mark

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:26 PM

mate sjh is not all about money he bled newcastle united and u calling him a tory biach just because he made a good life for himslef annoys the hell out of me. what makes u a fool is talking about a man who has done a lot more for that club than you will ever do, in the way tht you have u have no clue about the amount of 1. money but 2. more inportantly heart ache that he went though. show some respect.

• mark

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:30 PM

he put a hell of a lot of his own money into that club. a lot more than u know about

• Punk Skunk

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Well i think spendin’ my hard earned, which % wise, is probably a lot more than john hall, goes a long way…
    …I’m into my 4th decade of puttin’ a rather large % of my cash into NUFC & my support…Does that buy me any grace…

…& notice, i’m not callin’ you!..

…While i agree he put money in…How much did he take out?..
    …& he left FFS & doug hall in charge, we all know what happened then…He also sold up to MA…I’m thinkin’ he made a lot more than he put in…i.e. A PROFIT!..

• tripp

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:30 PM

If you want to solve this problem then FIFA has to implement a salary cap. It’s the only way to stop the rot.

• mark

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:30 PM

How do u know he made a profit if u dont know how much he put in. everyone was calling for new owners at newcastle i was there when they were singing sack the board so he tried to sell on to someone who had the money to take the club forward. how was he ment to know that ashley was going to do this to the club. i bet you were one of the fans chanting ashley is a gerodie at the away games. sir john spent 90 mil in first season in prem with newcastle. for sum reason i dont think u have put that much in to the club. thats not the point you make out as if he didnt give a dam about the club and thats not true he loved that club and still does and you should be happy that we once had a fantastic owner like him.

• Punk Skunk

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:22 PM

mark,
    i’m definately NOT sayin’ he didn’t put money in, he did!..
    …I’m not one of those that was singin’ ‘ashley is a Geordie’ either!..

…& i said in relation to what i’ve put into the club, % of my ‘wealth’, is more than likely more than john hall’s % of his ‘wealth’…
    …& that probably goes for most supporters!..

…&, I’m also pretty, god-damn certain he did not lose money on his ‘investment’, with regard to buyin’/sellin’ NUFC…He’s a businessman!..

• Ian

Sep 30, 2008 at 9:54 AM

mark, you obviously do not know as much about Hall as some of the others on here, if all you know is the original backing of the club with money in the first Keegan era then I understand your comments fully, no-one was a bigger fan than me, I even forgave him for not backing Keegan with more money when we were 12 points clear at the top, I think he probably promised the extra money without really thinking Keegan could get to the top.

However from then on things change, he started behaving like a celeb and annoying people, I know from different people who rub shoulders with him in normal life, but people put up with that, then he forced Shepherd to sack Robson using his influence on other board puppets to out vote Shepherd, then left on holiday to leave Shepherd to face the flack and do the deed.

You say how would Hall know Ashley?? It is a very small World at the top of the money tree in England, the vast majority either know each other or know of each other.

• mark

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:54 PM

mate u have no clue how well i know sir john hall and what you have just sed there is the bigest load of rubbish in regards to bobby robson. i know for a fact that was not the case and also that he did not know ashley before he approched him about buying the club. and btw in regards to the selling of the club freddys brother knew fine well what was going on and actually pushed for the deal to happen. mate u may not take this advide but dont believe what you read in the papers or what comes form FS mouth. nd u say u know people who rub shoulders with him pls name then i wud love to know who they are.

• Ian

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:51 PM

Mark believe me or not it is up to you. None of it is from the papers.

• mark

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM

well then name them then coz i bet i will know who they are if u r tellin the truth.

• Ian

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Mark i wouldnt tell you in person let alone on a public website, dream on.

One thing is for certain, if you do know him and think he is a nice bloke you like some odd people.

• mark

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:29 PM

Mate everyone has their own opinion about people and i respect that, but maybe you should watch what you say about people without knowing them and not take other peoples word for it. i do know him and he is a fatastic guy and newcastle united ment and still means a hell of a lot to the guy, it hurts him to see the club in this state.

• Ian

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Like you said Mark, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is from person after person who knows him, not one source, unfortunately the first comment was from someone who never has a bad word about anyone and is a Newcastle fan.