Kinnear – Owen A Good Voice In The Dressing Room

Joe Kinnear is not worried one little bit about Michael Owen’s contract situation and will continue to have Michael as captain of the club.

Michael Owen – quality player – no doubt about that

Michael’s been playing well in the game he’s played and he’s obviously trying all he can to turn the situation at Newcastle around.

Joe Kinnear said yesterday:

“Michael is a quality player, no question about that. With the experience he has got he has seen it and done it. I would like to get similar players around him. He’s a Newcastle legend, an England legend and a Liverpool legend.”

“There’s no reason why he won’t continue to be my captain. He is a very good voice in the dressing room. He has been there and done it and we need more players like that.”

“I am not aware of anything to do with his contract. You will have to ask him or anyone else about what his long-term plans are. I don’t know anything about his contract. It is not running out in the next eight games, so it doesn’t really bother me.”

Not sure he’s a Newcastle legend, having only scored 25 goals so far, but he has scored five goals in just seven appearances and is still one of English football’s best goalscorers.

And as Kevin Keegan found out, the squad has a lot of quality when players are fit, and Joe has no worries that this side can do well once their confidence has returned.

Joe continued:

“I don’t think Newcastle will go down.” “I was delighted with the second-half performance against Blackburn and with the players they have got – and when they get them back in the team – we will be okay.”

“I can’t see any danger of Newcastle going down. None at all. I accept confidence is the biggest thing in football. Big teams in the past have gone down, but, no, Newcastle won’t go down at all, no danger whatsoever.”

That’s Joe’s biggest challenge this week, to get the confidence back in the lads, and have them play going forward at Everton. Even if we go a goal down heads must not drop, and it would be great to get at least a point on Merseyside this weekend.

Since there’s a two week gap after Sunday until our next game, Manchester City at home, a good result becomes even more important for the club.

• MichaelOWaN

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM

I agree with Joe. He is a Newcastle legend in my eyes. If we want to get out from this trouble, then we need players like him to help us. I just hope his contract thingy can be sorted out soon, but I wouldnt blame him either if he want to leave.

• Vitorbarbosa

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Yeah, we need points desperately. Last week, I really hope we snatch a point we we just couldn’t.

At this moment, we can’t seems to play proper football while the standard of the whole EPL has been raised. All teams really can compete with each other, and although our squad is good on paper, I still feel that if we do not improve tremendously, we will go down.

First time in my life that I feel that our position in this elite league has been threathen. Many times, I experienced us staying at the bottom after first 5 or 6 games but relegation never came to my mind.

But this season, it’s too much negativity. We just can’t create enough chances, we have no system, do not know how to play…. and that’s pretty bad considering the rest of the EPL is doing nicely.

Teams that always finish below us has been perfomring really well, and it’s so tough for me to pick 3 teams that will perform worse than us this season.

The only positive thing is, we have experience international players in our squad. Hope they will be able to lift us far to the middle of the pack.

Really hope so, and I hope we will do something about his, real soon.

• BenjiToon

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Owen’s not a legend for us, but he is a consumate goalscorer and absolutely vital to our season.

Funny how KK made a point of saying this but pleas to have Owen’s contract renewed were ignored anyway. Just makes Keegan look more right by the minute.

• Ganiyu

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Nigeria 3 sudan 0
    Key player-christantus no.9.plays for hamburg.
    Ability-my new version of viduka.

• cg

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:28 AM

If Owen stays fit and keeps up the goal per match ration he may very well be a legend to more people than he already is.
    We’ve slagged him off plenty – with previous injuries maybe even justified, yet he stays professional on and off pitch and in the current mess he seems to be one of the few solid people we have in the squad.

Owen gone in January would not be a good thing at all. I’m hoping he will stay atleast to the end of the season.

• Sav

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Yes, whatever about re-signing Keegan and bringing in Shearer as his lieutenant, the new owners should make overtures to Michael Owen to renew his contract as he is too rare a bird to allow go to one of our rivals. Its great for us that Capello can’t see him fitting in with England just now and his fitness seems to not be a problem. The lad is a true pro and an absolute gem. We got him by a miracle of circumstances and to let him slip away would be a crime.

• Toon Chicken

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:36 AM

There was a new contract on the table for Owen and he may very well have signed it within the next couple of months had the majority of fans not demonstrated for Ashley & Co. to go.

Of course Owen will not sign a new contract while the club is in limbo and if things are not sorted by January then the fans, like Keegan, must take some of the blame for Owen’s departure – not to mention this horrible mess we find ourselves in.

At little foresight on the bedsheet brigades part may have gone a long way to avoiding this.

• Ganiyu

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Nigeria 5 sudan 0.
    Hamburg striker just scored.he hardly looses the ball.

• The Entertainers

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:36 AM

We’ve gone from the past silence to this man who cant shut up.

I wouldnt be knocking him, if it wasnt for the rubbish hes spouts!

From the false claims about Shearer and possibley Keegan

The swearing on BBC

Calling Geremi, something from a biblical text.

Now claiming Owen is a legand at the club.

Hes a damn fine player and one of our best, but hes got a long way to go before he becomes a legend. Signing a new contract would put him on the right track though.

Getting back to Joe, lets hope hes the right man to back up some of his other outlandish comments, like us staying up !…… 🙂

• Ganiyu

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Its very obvious that owen doesnt want to stay.

• Toon Chicken

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I agree Ganiyu – that t-shirt he was wearing under his toon top on Saturday saying “feck off Geordies” was a big giveaway.

• Punk Skunk

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Hey entertainers, alright mate…
    …At least JK seems to have some balls & gets stuck into the players…That’s probably what they need right now, to whip ’em into shape…We do have a decent team, they just serverly lack confidence!..
    …I quite liked the fact that he upset the bbc with a well known expletive…Soft shytes!..
    …Seemed at least to be talkin’ from the heart!..
    …Anyhoo, let’s give him a chance, see what happens…It’s not like many guys would put their balls on the line atm!..

• Punk Skunk

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:58 AM

I tell y’what,
    i wonder how well Owen would do if he actually had 101% support from us!..His record is pretty amazin’, all things considered!..
    …Let’s get behind him, the guy is class!..& he’s the team captain!..

• Toon Chicken

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Couldn’t agree more PunkSkunk.

Really gets my goat the amount of so-called fans that are constantly slating him.

I’m confident he would have signed his new contract before the end of the year had Ashley still been at the club. I just hope whoever the new owners are get in there quick, get their act together and sort out a decent new contract for the lad.

• Punk Skunk

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Aye TC,
    i’m gutted we didn’t tie him down before all this plop kicked off…
    …Can someone just sort MO out, he’s crucial mate!..
    …I really like the way he’s just gone about his business(scorin’), regarless of the turmoil…Total pro!..

• Punk Skunk

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I also like the way he doesn’t get drawn into makin’ daft or obvious comments, day in, day out in the rags…The Lad has CLASS!..

• Sav

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I doubt Owen does want to stay at the moment, but its not ‘obvious’, if you mean he is hiding or ceased to care. He is a great pro.

Toonchicken, are you Llambias with a few yellow feathers for disguise? Keegan left because he was not allowed to do his job – to do what was necessary to make Newcastle successful. Most fans can see this. Sir Bobby has said it. Most commentators including Wenger and Ferguson have agreed.

Our fans uniting against Ashley for failing to back his appointed manager will be seen as one of our finest hours while the club was at its nadir. The fans speaking with one voice (except, of course, yours) could yet be significant, not just for Newcastle but as a model elsewhere as the English game threatens to be traded as a global commodity.

Keegan felt our squad was inadequate to compete and was disappointed that he had been conned into selling a proven youngster while a profit had been made in summer transfer dealings. I think its fair to say our season so far has proven him correct. I’m tired listening to you banging your little drumstick out of step. Look at the facts on the pitch.

• Sav

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Is Ashley dislexic?
    Why would he need to employ investment bankers Seymour Pierce to tell him which bid offered him the most money? Or does anyone have a doubt that’s all that he gives a toss about?

• Toon Chicken

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Whatever Sav – Bobby, Wenger and Ferguson know as much about what went on behind the scenes as you or I.

All we know for sure is that Keegan walked.

If he’d stayed and fought for his position with the backing of the fans things could have been a lot different.

Enough has been said about this already – I have no desire to engage in conversation with a fan who regards the bedsheet brigade with their xenophobic, badly spelt banners as this clubs finest hour.

In my opinion that was one of the clubs darkest hours and was a source of great embarrassment for myself as a proud Geordie.

• chinzaknuk

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:27 AM

I thought that in the 2nd half against Blackburn that there were some signs that the team has started to believe in themselves again. It was far from brilliant but at least they were having a go at Blackburn, which we haven’t seen in some of the recent games. I hope it’s a sign that we are back on the up, and that the lads took some positives from the game.

• Punk Skunk

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM

All businessmen care about their cash!..
    …From the smallest to the biggest…
    …It’s not gonna be any different, whomever buys any football team…The only difference will be how they handle the media…& the fans will think what they want, they always do!..
    …Just about every club is havin’ some kinda crisis atm, bar maybe chavs…It’s normal!..

• Punk Skunk

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:31 AM

No team is gonna play that well rudderless…So, it’s nice to think JK had some kinda effect on the 2nd half…Ho’way!..

• Sav

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:37 AM

‘All we know for sure is that Keegan walked.’

Unless you’re Toonostrich, I think you know we know a bit more than that.
    You know a lot about Owen’s contract don’t you?
    We have had the unedifying spectacle of NUFC management tripping over themselves like the Keystone Cops with black and white contradictory statements so you know for sure their side is not telling the truth.

I’m not so sensitive that a misspelt bedsheet would embarrass me if I agreed with the cause.

And judging from your posts, you’re not easily embarrassed either.

• Toon Chicken

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:50 AM

Sav – judging by the irony of your attempt to spell ‘dyslexic’ I can see that sort of thing doesn’t embarrass you either.

You obviously don’t have much regard for reading either, otherwise you would have spotted that it was the sentiment of the banners that I found most worrying. If you agree with that sort of thing then you’re obviouslly not as intelligent as you pretend to be.

All that narrow-minded xenophobia spewing forth from the Geordie masses set the region back years and has probably done us no favours in securing an offer from a legitimate investor.

• Canada44

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Hope MO come back at liverpool or in a club like aston villa, which play very well!!!