Joe Kinnear Like A Breath Of Fresh Air at Newcastle

Joe Kinnear kept up his positive words today on his attempt to turn around the fortunes of the Newcastle club over the next several weeks.

Joe Kinnear – has been so positive since he took over – it’s contagious

Joe told nufcTV:

“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my first few days” “Why wouldn’t I? I’m working at a phenomenal football club and for the best supporters in the world.”

“The only thing that is disappointing is tons of stuff that is coming out from the media.” “Certain members of the press are trying to affect my credibility to the Newcastle fans and most of it is a pack of lies – one lie after another, one lie after another.”

“That’s probably the only part of the job so far that I find tough.” “But it’s not going to put me off in any manner whatsoever.” “I know exactly what the job is all about and I know exactly how to go about it.”

“But I really just want to get on with it now.” “I’m hoping that’s the end of it but I doubt if it will be.”  “But I’m trying to find a way of getting a message to the real supporters – I’m very confident and very delighted to be in the position that I am because I know that I can do a good job.”

“I’m happy about the situation and I’m very proud to be here at Newcastle because it’s the best job in the world for me up until now in my career.” “I’m not daft enough to realize that I probably wouldn’t be standing here if other managers hadn’t have turned it down.”

“But more fool them as far as I’m concerned.

“Why turn Newcastle down? Even though it may be the shortest tenure in the history of the football.”  “But I’m still going to be enjoying it and I’m still going to love it and I’m still going to give it my best shot.”

“As far as I know I’ve got 24 points to play for. Other people have made light of that but my contract states eight games, so that’s 24 points and I’m going to get as many points as I can.”  “And if the club is sold in the meantime then good luck to Newcastle and good luck to anybody else who comes in here because they’ll love it.”

Joe has been impressive since he came in last Friday, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and we’ll get our first chance to see how the lads perform under Joe on Sunday at Everton. And it’s good news, at least for us, that one of their best players Tim Cahill, is suspended for 3 games following his sending off last weekend.

We are all hoping for something out of this game, but are also very keen to see how the team plays under Joe. You cannot question the man’s attitude or his respect for the Tynesdie club, that’s for sure.

Joe’s been like a breath of fresh air this week.

Comments very welcome, but please keep them decent for the youngsters and other readers – thanks.

• Nacho Man

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:37 AM

well at least he talks to the media!!

• Geordie Jayne

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Good luck Joe I hope you get the points we need

• graeme

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:41 AM

All he has to do is not lose at Everton and he will be praised for the “massive” improvement in the team performance!!!

Good luck to him, I hope he reaches his target of 15 points in 8 games – as a minimum!!!

• Joseph

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:46 AM

He’s talking the talk, now lets see if he walks the walk.

• Micky Toon

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:47 AM

I wouldn’t get too carried away with this guy. He can talk, no doubt about that, but it means nothing if he can’t deliver on the pitch.
    What he is saying, anyone could do. It’s not exactly hard to look at our situation, look at what the fans are saying and come up with something to gee everyone up.
    Don’t get me wrong I will back the team and the manager, but he isn’t the right person for us in the long term.

• Joe_Kinnear's_Barmy_Army!

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:48 AM

Guys, listen to this guy and take some heart. I’d just like to throw an example into the mix for everyone to consider on why taking Keegan back would be a step backward.

Rafa Benitez had dramas with his board this pre season. He publically criticised the board and questioned the direction they were taking the club. He made his point really well to the fans and through the press. They are now raising money to buy the club back over a sustained period of time. Granted, they have a bit more cash than NUFC due to Champions League etc but there are still comparisons to be made . Kevin Keegan, didn’t work the press to his advantage and ultimately walked out on the club and the fans. He left the fans he ‘loves’ and he let down players who looked up for him and signed for the club to ultimately work with himon a daily basis (regardless of Wise and Jimenez). We must move forward with a new regime, someone who won’t throw toys out the pram when he does not get his own way.

I think Joe Kinnear will be a fab gaffer for the short term, even the season. Lets just let him get on with the job and I’m pretty sure we’ll hit top 10 this season.

• Danso

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:49 AM

I got a good feeling about this Joe Kinnear.. Good to see a positive lets get the job done attitude…!

• liam

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:49 AM

The whole reason we’re in this state is because kevin keegan ran away because he couldn’t have his own way. Can’t believe he’s done this to us, hoping he doesn’t return as manager because he’ll run away again in a year or two when the board won’t give him £200m to spend on old players. PS good luck to joe.

• Matt

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Hopefuly some of this fresh outlook can rub off on some of the players. He just ignores what’s going on and sees the football, it’s quite nice actually.

I’d be more than happy with 15 in 8 from Everton, City, Sunderland, WBA, Villa, Fulham, Wigan, Chelsea.

Wins vs Sunderland, WBA, Fulham, Wigan
    Draws vs Everton, Villa, City
    Lose vs Chelsea

Not the easiest 15 points ever but possible.

• Nick

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Yeah he’s great. He wants Carr back for …sake!!!! He’s a long ball Wimbledon dinosaur, who like allardyce thinks he’s great and who hopefully will be out the door asap.

We have geremi who can cover beye and Tozer, Edgar and Kadar who can shadow Enrique, why the hell do we need a very poor, old sicknote like carr.

much more noteworthy is the bok consortium who would bring in simon clifford from the futebol de salao programme. what we have needed for years – decent coaching

• Ganiyu

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Ed harrison fc vs getafe 8pm

• MURPHY

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Wow, some supporters are never happy! get behind this man, he’s been given a VERY hard task to achieve in a VERY small time, a task which I’m sure some of the best managers in the world would shake like a dog when ask to do – I’ve got a lot of respect for this man and I hope he does well for himself and the team. Kevin keegan was a motivator and this is what Joe is trying to do, to shake away the dark clouds hanging over St james, a little possitive thinking will go a long way! Come on the TOON.

• MichaelOWaN

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:13 AM

Too much talking going on from him. Lets see if he can deliver the results, which is what we need the most now. If can get the results, then I dont mind him talking all day long.

• GoesseN

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:20 AM

well thats all good but Joe Kinnear…

… HAS SUSPENSIONS LEFT AND WONT BE IN CONTROL AT THE GAME ON SUNDAY…

just thought id remind you all.

• WesToon

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:22 AM

@ MichaelOWaN // Oct 2, 2008 at 11:13

Its fans like you mate that give this great club a Sh!te name,i mean FFS make up your mind do you want people from WITHIN to communicate with us or dont you??? My God if they dont say nought then fans like you are up in arms & now they are saying too much!!

Ho’way man make up your mind mate

• I want Steve Bruce in!(GG7)

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:22 AM

fair play to kinnear, i hope he gets a good job if he does well in this one, BRIIIIINNNNG INNNNNNN STEEEEEEEEVVVVVEEEEE BRRRUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCE

• ToonRich

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I’m not going to critizise Joe for all his talking, as it does sound motivational for the players…
    But how many think MA is telling him to talk to the media???

• geordie jock

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Hi ed had to come back to give a few observations. Good blog, we need to give Joe all the support he needs after all he has put his head on the block to help us when everybody was turning their backs on the club. Seems like a decent bloke. Everbody has now had their say on everybody and everything concerning the club so why don’t we now let everthing take it’s course, wait for the takeover, whoever it may be and give nothing short of 100% to Joe, the players and the club. I know the club is in an absolute mess but i have a good gut feeling maybe just maybe we can pull out of this horror and get some good owers. I am quite impressed with what is coming out from the South African consortium so fingers crossed.

• The Entertainers

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Its clear to see Joe is grabbing this chance with both hands and just enjoying himself whilst doing so.

While he may never belong to a club as big as Newcastle again and this may well set his career back on track if he does indeed turn this ship around.

Would never have been my choice and i still have reservations towards the guy, but will still support him 100% as hes black n white at the moment and thats good enough for me.

• natedawg

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:39 AM

its is quite funny to hear some of us callin for jk as a perninant manager seein as he has only been in job 6 days, and because of what he has said to da press ya think we have found a hidden mourhino , if he was to get 20 odd point out of his 8 games then it might be sometimi to consider but at da moment he hasnt had a job in 6 years so shall we reserve judgement a lil. / ps weren a lot of people annoyed da kk was out the game for 3 years?

• Howay50

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Whilst it looks like an unmitigated disaster at NUFC so far this season, with new owners around the corner and JK rallying the team in the interim period, not all is lost and I think that with good vocal support from us then the corner can be turned. Have to say that I would be more worried if I was a Spurs fan. At least at NUFC we know full well why we have collapsed and what needs to be done to remedy it. Spurs on the other hand are left scratching their heads and the rot is yet to really set in there – they could be in real trouble soon.

• Geordiebrems

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Hope he can talk some confidence into the team and make them play better on Sunday, but don’t be too taken in by Ashley’s ventriloquist dummy.

He’s already proved that he speaks from his hind quarters claiming that Shearer was coming in with new owners and with his four letter mishap on Football focus that the words just pour out without filtering through his brain first!

• I want Steve Bruce in, Along with Amir Zaki, Valencia and Palacios(GG7)

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:04 PM

kinnear said some very good words on ssn!

• Ericles

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:07 PM

I am beginning to like certain aspects of JK. It is good to see him turn and criticise the attitudes of the press. Ashley and Wise and co never ever defended either the club, the players or the fans from the vicious criticisms in the press. Well done for that Joe. He cannot sign Carr, even temporarily, because Viduka has got his treatment table on permanent loan!

• I want Steve Bruce in, Along with Amir Zaki, Valencia and Palacios(GG7)

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:09 PM

anyone see gerrards goal last night, also fair play to robbie keane, im sooo glad he scored, i hope he really does bite the spuds in the arse

• selly no skill

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:10 PM

cant beleive some fans are questioning joe.he has said nothing but positive things this last week.he has 8 games man,he isnt going to reinvent the wheel and make us like brazil is he?or do you stupid idiots think he is going to.all he can do is lift the confidence of an injury ravaged team and from what i have seen he is doin alright so far.we might get beat on sunday.and probably should do on form.i suppose the media will jump all over him and all you idiots who whinge at everything will be on this blog wanting his head.grow some balls ,support joe and the team.ffs he was the only one who would take the job.

• djibo magpie of the cape

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:11 PM

we gotta give JK our full support, no doubt!
    Howay the lads!

Is there a NUFC supporters club in South Africa?

• I want Steve Bruce in, Along with Amir Zaki, Valencia and Palacios(GG7)

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:32 PM

the south africans all together are worth about 6-7 billion.

• toontony

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:39 PM

from todays chronicle
    Consortium flies in for takeover talks on NUFC
    Oct 2 2008 by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

THE man heading a South African consortium is on Tyneside in a bid to push through their takeover of Newcastle United.

Jonathan Cleland arrived in Newcastle from his Scottish base on Tuesday night and is set to meet Mike Ashley’s representatives and visit club facilities.

They have now officially lodged their bid, thought to be around £300m, with Seymour Pierce, the company Ashley has brought in to handle the sale.

And if successful, the five-strong consortium plans to bring Kevin Keegan back as manager, as well as offering him a 5% stake in the club, worth more than £10m.

They also want to install Brazilian soccer expert Simon Clifford as technical director and he could also be given a share of the Magpies
    It also reveals the Toon earns annual revenue of £90m, making a profit of £3.5m. There is currently a £50m overdraft facility and apart from that, the club is essentially debt-free.

More cash is owed to the Magpies for transfer deals than is still to be paid out and the extent to which the overdraft facility is used depends on weekly gate receipts.

Out of the seven potential buyers, the South Africans are viewed as the front-runners after Mr Cleland’s arrival on Tyneside.

The South African-raised Scot has built a career around developing major brands and fronts the consortium that is also understood to include Brian Gilbertson, Brian Joffe, Johan Rupert and Vivian Imerman, despite the latter two previously denying any involvement.

Mr Rupert, 58, fronts Swiss luxury goods firm Richemont, which owns brands such as Cartier and Dunhill. He has previously invested in Saracens rugby club, was linked with a buy-out of Blackburn Rovers and is said to be worth £3.8bn.

Mr Imerman, 53, was an owner of Del Monte before buying into Scottish whisky firm Whyte and Mackay, which he sold for £595m last year. He runs investment firm Vasari Global Ltd in London with fellow South African Gerald Katzeff, 61. Mr Imerman is married to Lisa Tchenguiz, 43, sister of Robert Tchenguiz, who was a co-owner of Whyte and Mackay with him.

Brian Joffe, 61, founded investment holding firm Bidvest and is chief executive of South African football team Bidvest Wit. The father-of-two has a reputation for buying failing companies and turning their fortunes around, which tallies with the way the consortium interested in United are said to have amassed their wealth.

Clifford, who runs the International Confederation of Futebol de Salao and is manager of Garforth Town, is understood to be central to the South African’s plans and has played a key role in developing the bid over the last seven days.

The Middlesbrough-born former teacher brought Brazilian methods of coaching to the UK and stars such as Manchester City and England defender Micah Richards have gone through his Brazilian Soccer Schools, which have more than two million members.

Keegan was approached by the consortium as early as last Friday and the businessmen are also keen to find a role for Alan Shearer.

• Disheartened

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Regardless of what the results will be, Kinnear deserves a lot of credit and praise just for taking on this difficult task.

I think many managers would tremble in fear just the mere thought of taking on this job in a time like this. At least Kinnear will go in and try his best. Remember that he can only do so much himself, the rest is up to the team to perform as well.

You got my respect Kinnear!

• WesToon

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:58 PM

@ djibo magpie of the cape // Oct 2, 2008 at 12:11

Howzit going bro!!

Im from JHB & as far as i know there isnt a supporters club here in S.A

• tyneside tommo

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Frankly, I’m a sceptic. JFK talks a good game but we’ll discover at the weekend if he can play a good game. Talk is cheap.

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Lets give the guy a chance and let him be judged on the results.

We have a good (if small) squad and I think we need the confidence boost of a win on Sunday.

I hope JK’s enthusiasm rubs off on the players and hopefully it will show on the pitch

Everton 1 Newcastle 2

Ho’way the lads !!!!!!

• clinta

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:58 PM

We have a chance with timmy Cahill out, there never the same without him, this is the type of exciting attacking midfielder we should be going for, but credit to moyes for the quality squad he’s assembled with a fraction of our budget.

This Joe guys really loving the limelight and attention isn’t he? just hope it’s not all words and we actually make a noticable improvement on the pitch.

• none4TOON

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:45 PM

if he’s any good he wouldnt had been (almost) a forgotten figure in the footballing world for this long. well at least he’s talking the talk rather than doing anything stupid to further destroy this club which’s already in a bloody mess.
    anyway, good luck joe, for sake of the fans n yourself, if you still dream of a career in football.