Kinnear Unhappy At Stabs In Back By Gossip Presss

Joe Kinnear doesn’t like some of the press he’s getting this week, but it would be good for Joe to forget it and continue with trying to turn Newcastle around, which he thankfully seems to be doing.

Joe Kinnear – not happy at some press coverage

Joe said today:

“I’m not going to change, I’m an old-school manager and I have come out fighting,” “Unfortunately it is time to stab Joe Kinnear in the back as many times as they possibly can. I haven’t come in here for you to take the p*** out of me.”

“And if I’m not flavor of the month for you, it don’t bother me. I’ve got a job to do. I think a bit of a siege mentality can help in a situation like this. Too much has been made in the dressing room of ownership – we don’t know where we’re going, we don’t know who’s coming in and all that.”

“But loads of clubs have six or seven managers – this isn’t the only club where this has happened.” “The players are there to do a good job.”

“You just have to get on with life. I sense the confidence is at the lowest it’s ever been. We need a quick change of attitude – that is for sure.” “You lift confidence by not moping too much about what happened.”

“Whatever negative stuff that’s coming out in the media or Press you have to get on with it. I would think we need leadership, that’s for sure.” “We need the senior players to be more vocal and to lead by example.”

“If I go back to my Wimbledon days we had people who were prepared to get stuck into other people, but the first thing I noticed on Saturday was that there were no comments whatsoever. Everyone was quiet – really quiet. Normally I’ve been used to dressing rooms that are on fire.”

We’re a little surprised the dressing room is that quiet, since we had thought Owen, Butt and Given were stepping up to the plate. Of course we have a few new players too, and some who are still learning to speak English and that doesn’t help.

Kinnear admitted he has had to adjust his methods in order to get his message through to the foreign players at Newcastle,  Joe was asked if the number of different languages spoken by the players was a hindrance, although that’s true in most Premier league dressing rooms these days and  Joe answered:

“I think that’s a good point, I think that’s part of it,” “We’ve got to address that. José Enrique seems to be the one that speaks English, and he speaks to the rest of the Spanish-speaking lads. We pass things on that way.

“I think I’ve handled a couple of foreign lads in my career and they spoke perfect English. It’s a totally new situation for me. I’ve spent the last two days showing them as much as talking to them.

“I’ve been demonstrating where I want to go and pointing out what the best way to defend is. We need a talker at the back telling people what to do – telling the other defenders to stop players at source, stop them getting crosses in, get tighter and so on.

“I can adjust, absolutely. It’s going to be difficult talking to them – I’m not denying that fact.

Joe may be finding out just how difficult a job he has taken on, and of course the press are of no help and the sooner he realizes that and deals with it effectively, the better for Joe, the players and Newcastle.

Newcastle fans seem to have been impressed with Joe this week, and of course anything from our game at Everton on Sunday will help lift the mood on Tyneside. That is one thing that is badly needed, as well as a new owner and new permanent manager.

• The Entertainers

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Absoultly enjoyed Joe’s rant at the press and about time to.

You can hear it in its wonderful glory on the Daily Mirrors website. (Well done Simon Bird for having the balls to post it.)

I hold my hands up and thought NOOOOO! When i heard Kinnear was arriving.

One week in and the fellow has completely won me over with his off field antics, i only hope he produces the same energy on the field.

The fellow is here short term and i honestly believe he is the right man for the short term.

He appears someone who will be frank and honest with the players. Will be able to motivate this dispondent group and knows only too well the siege mentality approach.

Part of me wonders if his rant was to show the players, right look i’m on your side and i’m not afraid to show it. Follow my lead and take on all comers, ITS US AGAINST THEM NOW!

Hats off to the man if it works and if it doesnt then some long over due home truths were spoken by Joe , on behalf of a Geordie nation who for too long have felt what Joe has been feeling during his first week in charge.

Welcome to the fold Joe, keep this up with a few decent results and you’ll be adopted before you know it.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 3, 2008 at 10:58 AM

HA!..

• Punk Skunk

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:00 AM

He could have only bettered it by smackin’ ’em!..
    …Funny as!..

• Nick

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:01 AM

When someone has to resort to using the f word every other word, it usually indicates an extremely low IQ.

It’s not big, it’s not clever, it’s absolutely pathetic. Could you imagine SBR carrying on like that.

To get wound up so very very easily just plays in to the media’s hands and if possible makes us even more of a laughing stock.

Tactical geniuses like wenger and fergie are hardly going to be quaking in their boots when JK is so defensive and paranoid.

KK’s love it, just love it speech was cringeworthy but for different reasons. Kinnear just has no class and at his age I guess never will.

• The Entertainers

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:02 AM

You can almost hear the standing ovation from managers around the country.

They must be thinking if only i had balls as big as Joes!

• Punk Skunk

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:05 AM

The press/media are SCUM!..
    …They deserve more of the same from other coaches!..
    …Hope this sets a precedent!..

…They don’t like it up ’em, do they?..

• beyethegreat

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:06 AM

i completely agree entertainers now he knows what its like to be at nufc he is right in what he is saying there are plenty of clubs that have 6 or 7 managers i am not sure about that but that fact is over publicised with us when you think spurs have had even more managersthough you would not think it as hardly any thing like tat gets said about spurs or at least not that i remember

• The Entertainers

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Nick

football comes from a working mans background for the working man and he spoke in their common tongue.

Although Joe has not shown the greatest of tack during the interview, what he has shown me is passion!

I for one would take passion over intelligence anyday.

What Joe has done, whether he realises or not is, he has made the press enemy number 1. It will be a siege mentality at Newcastle and if the results change because of his rant, then hes clever than we think!

• beyethegreat

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:08 AM

lets just say this is the fruitier vehttp://www.tribalfootball.com/?q=content/newcastle-boss-kinnears-stunning-rant-youre-so-fg-slimyrsion

• WesToon

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Thank You JK,that has been much needed!!

Sick of the negative southern press muppets!!

Howay The Lads!!!

• The Entertainers

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Ed

I’m surprised you let Joe Kinnear on your blog with comments like that……. i want him banned ! 🙂

• bowburnmag

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I’m not so bothered what he said just when he said it. I wish he’d waited until he and we were holding a few more cards.

• Nick

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:15 AM

The entertainers – I take your point.
    but hey, I’m working class. You don’t have to stereotype us. Plenty of working class people can speak articulately.

Yes the press are scum, but they’ve had a field day with this. Once a manager refuses to speak to the press, they’re fair game.

• arctoa

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:16 AM

Nick – Ferguson has had more than one foul-mouthed run-in with the press, are you going to claim that he has a low IQ too?

Shreeves: I asked him…
    Ferguson: F***ing (inaudible) bastard.
    Shreeves: Don’t talk to me like that.
    Ferguson: F**k off to you.
    Shreeves: Don’t talk to me like that. Don’t even think about it.
    Ferguson: Don’t you think about it, you ****. F**k off. Right?
    Shreeves: Listen, are you going to do the interview in a professional manner or not? Do you want to do it or not?
    Ferguson: You f*****g be professional. You be professional. You’re the one.
    Shreeves: I’m entitled to ask… Cristiano gave the right answer.
    Ferguson: F***ing hell with your answers.
    Shreeves: Don’t talk to me like that. Go away. If you want to behave civilly, fine. Don’t talk to me like that.
    Ferguson: F**k off. (door slams)

…and…

“People are always going on about f****** Veron. You tell me, what’s wrong with Veron?” fumed Fergie.

“What’s this thing about fights and all the rest of this s***? It’s absolute nonsense, you know it’s nonsense. Absolute lies. On you go. I’m no f****** talking to you. He’s a f****** great player. Yous are f****** idiots.”

• Nick

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:23 AM

Arctoa – Again point taken, but I think fergie has probably earned the right after more than 20 years of unrivalled success. JK has been here 5mins and never won anything!! It’s a bit previous to be that defensive after 4 days!!

• The Entertainers

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Nick i didnt realise i was stereotyping the working class.

I was just stating that he chose to speak in a common language, used by many, both white and blue collar types.

It just surprised me that in todays world, people are still surprised individuals of all walks of life talk in this manner from time to time, particularly when they are angry or passionate about something. The annoying thing is some of these papers, hypercritcally use choice language on their front covers from time to time (expleted out, but any over the age of 7 could work out the headlines)

Although you dont have to condone it, i thought most people accepted it. However i appear to be wrong and you stick to your moral views mate, there arent many of you left.

• Chris G

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:25 AM

hi guys ‘n gals

if you want to read some of the text, here’s a good one from the Guardian –

hmmm, makes Keegan’s famous rant look a bit tame now, doesn’t it?

• 51times

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:27 AM

arctoa – And of course his (in)famous perch quote.

“My greatest challenge is not what’s happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their ****ing perch. And you can print that”

• Ageordiedoonsooth

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Just listened ti the interview on the Mirror website. While I can’t condone the language I can understand why he got upset. Having fallen foul of the press while in my job a few times over the years. I can say that they take a comment/situation and will twist it into whatevere they can to make a good headline & story. They are a load of prats (being polite) and deserved the rirade that Jk gave them. I hope the team show the same passion he did when they play on Sunday.

• Karltoon

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I agree with Nick like, but not entirely.. Cause some people are just foul mouthed, you couldnt call Gordon Ramsey or Alan Sugar remedial due to their choice of diction (or the fact the former is raking it in due to playing on it).

Personally, i thoroughly enjoyed the rant because i let myself get wound up by the press too often. It even creeps into conversation in whetherspoons, which wastes even more of my time.

• bowburnmag

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Some respect goes to him for standing up for himself but he didn’t have a great battle plan by the sounds of it, hence the expletives. I enjoy a good cuss as much as the next man but there’s surely a time and place? It’ll just end up being more one thing levelled at our club. He’ll have asked the players to focus. I just don’t know whether he should have taken some of his own advice? “When all is said and done, more is said than done”.

• Red Bob

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:51 AM

What JK said was spot-on. The Press make money out of mayhem and the sports pages rarely print facts except for the match results. Sports Journo’s delight in causing conflict. The only problem was that JK used training ground language on tape, we all know that the Journo’s will use exactly the same words in the bar. There is saying that you only need one rotten apple to spoil the barrel. Sadly the press are a rotten barrel, with the occasional good apple in there. I’m a Forest fan who last visited St James’ in the 70’s when the Magpie fans infamously stormed the pitch and then stole the match, so I have no allegiance to the Toon but I hope for the sake of todays fans that JK starts a turnaround that KK can finish.

• Jimmy

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I am embarrassed again to be a Newcastle fan! This rant that a lot of you seem to be so proud of is absolutely pitiful! Your talk of how you are glad that someone stands up against the “scum” press is pathetic, have a listen again, this man is not trying to defend the honour of NUFC he is ranting about himself all of the way through!
    Have a little think…… our potential buyers are going to be swayed by the very press that Potty Mouth Joe (I believe that it is an insult to say his effing and ceeing is working mans talk, I am a working man and I do talk like that with my friends but not when I am an ambassador for my work!) has just abused, his arguments were ridiculous and self serving without any substance!
    If a celebrity has a go at the press the press tear them apart, it is a slimy practise I agree but fact. What we need right now is a press that is not trying to drag us any further into the mire not one that is waiting for any excuse to batter us but a press that make us seem like a great investment to any potential buyer!
    Kevins rant was passion and showed how much he cared about NUFC, Joes was immature and showed that he is only here to try and kickstart a failed career!

Get a grip guys!

• mikeygd

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:07 PM

if he swears like that to the press, hes sure gna stir up that dressing room, i cant wait for the game coz if were losing at half time those players will shit themselves knowing whats coming when they get in the dressing room. winning for fear of being yelled at lol

• kelt

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:15 PM

read the ENTIRE transcript at nufc.com

im really startng to like this guy, lets just hope he gets us back on track.

• steve

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Apparantly JK is moving in with Paul Gasgoine

This happens more often than you think – only difference is that it’s usually off the record whereas JK said “yes you can print what I’ve said you slimy *****”

• murvar

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Oh dear. We’ve sunk as low as possible now haven’t we? Gutter language from a bloke who was in the footballing gutter until Ashley (in the Chairman’s gutter himself) bumped into him and offered him a joint lifeline. This is appalling and how people can rally to him is beyond me. We have already tried a ranter in Souness and it failed. This guy can’t call anyone else “Coco the Clown”.

• Newckie

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Sod this lot, they have done us no favours !

These scumbag want to be jorno’s thrive in their squiring gutter so crying foul is just pathetic.

What’s the matter, Joe has joined you in your sess pit and told you a few home trueths and you can’t handle it after dancing on every one else’s grave and making money off it to boot.

It doesn’t get any lower than that!

Good on you Joe, take no prisoners mate from this bastion of bollocks.

“Yay though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.
    For I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley.”

Get in son! I like the fire in his belly!

Howay The lads

• dave v

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:51 PM

The press have been hounding us for years and undeniably attempting to put us into the championship.
    Joe Kinnear has nothing to lose and will defend his reputation, his players and his new club.
    He is instilling in the team the same mentality Wimbledon possessed, ” you don’t like it, so f##k off then”
    If he can get the team to bond using siege mentality tactics he will have done us a great service.

• Karltoon

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Ed – How do you answer that poll in the top right?

• Paul

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:12 PM

“bastion of bollocks”. I’ll have to remember that one Newckie. Very good!

• Mike

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:17 PM

The best part of the tirade is the press officer trying to diffuse it: “Boys, lets wipe those tapes clean now, pretty pleeeeeeze??”

• ronjohno

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM

Cannot wait until he tells Anal Oliver where to go.