Kinnear Feistiness Gains Support With Fans and Players

Joe Kinnear has had some week in this his first week as Newcastle United manager.

Joe Kinnear with Chris Hughton – working miracles this week?

It’s obvious that Joe is both proud and enthusiastic to be the Newcastle manager, and if the players can show the fight and feistiness that Joe has shown this week we should be OK for the this month.

If any of our players didn’t think Newcastle United was a great club, then Joe has done his utmost to let them know at least he thinks the club is great and that has to rub off on the pride of the players. It has been great to see that from Joe this week, as out club’s image  has taken a beating since Keegan resigned.

Joe said today:

“I don’t promise anything but there is plenty of quality in our team and in our squad. Not always enough, because we have plenty of players in the treatment room, but there are quality match winners there,”

“I can’t wait to get involved again. I’ve been to places like Everton and Liverpool and I’ve been up against the odds before and I’m relishing it, even though I know it’s going to be tough.”

“I have taken over a team that has lost five straight games and I’ve got to make an immediate impact. Terry Venables wouldn’t take this job because he felt it would take a season to turn it around but I’ve got a few weeks. But I owe it to myself, to my players and to this club to give it a try.”

Kinnear has told his players the uncertainty surrounding the club will no longer be used as any excuse for poor performances on the pitch, and it looks like he and Michael Owen are on the same wavelength on that one, which is very good to hear.

Joe talked about Michael:

“He’s totally okay with me and agrees that what’s going on outside shouldn’t affect what’s going on the pitch. We’ve now got to get the message to the rest,”

“The players feel like they’ve been left in the lurch in terms of the communication from the club but I’ve told them everything straight and we’ve just got to get on with it. It’s as simple as that.”

“Yes, they have to take responsibility as far as the football is concerned – as does the manager. You can’t use things that are happening at the club as an excuse for a poor performance. We’re not going anywhere if that’s the case.”

“If you get turned over you can’t say ‘We’re worried about who’s coming in to buy the club’. You can’t have that.”

Kinnear’s X-rated response to some journalistic reports on Thursday seems only to have gained him support among Newcastle fans, with 74% of our readers saying they now have a better impression of Joe. The poll is on the right so if you haven’t yet voted, please do.

Certainly Joe is nothing if not a fighter and he seems just the type of feisty fighting manager the club and the players need right now.

We’re also sure a lot of what we heard on Thursday goes on a lot more than we realize behind closed doors, but never sees the light of day, but because the tirade was against the journalists themselves, they made sure it was all printed. But Joe has just shrugged off those reports.

Maybe they will now be a little fairer in their reporting of Joe and Newcastle, but we should point out that it’s only a few journalists that Joe went after – particularly Simon Bird of the Daily Mirror, and you always get one or two poor performers in any profession.

But it’s hard not to like Joe, because what you see is what you get, and he looks great for Newcastle right now, and if he can also get some good results for us, he will quickly become a folk hero on Tyneside.

Just imagine if he can get a win for us on Sunday.

• skin d

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM

just listened to it on daily mirrors website,absolute classic.

• Turkish magpie

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM

go kinnear

• golden xisco

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:48 AM

brap

• Ericles

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Thanks for giving Simon the bird Joe. I think perhaps if after the new owners reinstate KK that they find some role for you too. Perhaps we need a parade ground as well as a training ground? How about Press Officer, Bandmaster?
    No, apart from the jokes, I do feel that a continuing role with the club in some capacity for JK is worth considering. Hope KK is watching all this and smiling. Right, now let us go and chew some toffees. Anyone for an Everton mint?

• Turkish magpie

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:53 AM

whats evryones team for 2moz
    is beye fit?

——————given——————-

—beye—–taylor—-colo——enrique

—duff—-butt—–guthrie—-nzogbia

————owen—-xisco————–
    the only reason taylor is still in is him and beye worked really well last season!

• AO

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:12 AM

i have a bad feeling we will be bottom after sundays fixtures putting the pressure on kinnear. i cant see us winning and i cant see spurs losing. sad times.

• Keith

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM

Yeah think joe will do alright, been irish think its a pity he never got the irish job as i think it would really suited him and i think he will do well for us, everything he said to the press is spot on, sure they will twist and turn it no matter what he says from now on, but he just confirmed what we all know the tabloids talk shite about us

• patrickrandom

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:14 AM

It is great stuff. It’s lot like he’s our manager for a long time. Why not.!

• ariel7

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:32 AM

As I mentioned earlier… we need a man like JK at this moment.. he is realistic and sincerely want to help our team. He put his own reputation aside..Good Luck JK!

• Xsico golden boot

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I agree we need someone like JK who will tell the press where to get off does any one have a link for the interview

• Xsico golden boot

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:51 AM

just found the interview at last someone who speaks his mind hope you can turn it around for us joe if the players have half your fight we will do well he is doing a good job of taken pressure off them though well done joe

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:10 PM

Down with the chip-wrappers!..

• Gordon

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Think his response was disgraceful and has made even more of a laughing stock.

I’m ashamed 74% of our fans think more of Joe Kinnear was acting like a thug.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Lighten up Gordon…
    …The press are SCUM & deserve some of their own crap directed back at ’em!..
    …Someone had to do!..

…I’ll always respect the guy for standing up to the turgid, self-appointed, super-annuated, smug plebs!..(that’s the cleaned up version!)…

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:08 PM

We’re not as much a laughin’ stock as you think mate…Most ‘other team’ fans i know ain’t laughin’…They wish their boss had done it!..
    …& showed the same spirit!..

…Laughin’ stock, self-fulfillin’ prophecy, n’all that!..

• Gordon

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:10 PM

@Punk Skunk – disagree.

When we were singing a positive tune on this site for months the tabloids were saying we were a club about to collapse into a crisis.

On this site Ed laughed it off and we all called them liars.

They said Wise and Keegan were fighting, transfers were being done behind Keegan’s back, Keegan was on the brink of resigning and guess what:

THEY WERE RIGHT!

We should be embarrassed that we doubted so much. We were wrong, not them.

Kinnear was a fool for saying these things and insisting THREE TIMES that it be published. He wants Joey Barton as the inspiration to our dressing room! The man’s a joke, and famously the biggest lover of long ball football out there.

I repeat: he’s a disgrace.

• Gordon

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:11 PM

@Punk Skunk – I’ve had nothing but ridicule about this from friends of rival clubs all week and I’m SICK OF IT.

• ObaFan2

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Lol Gordon, I respect your view but I believe that the guy has had alot of rubbish printed about him in the press this last week and he responded to that.
    Ok his continued swearing might shock or offend some but it was supposed to be between him and them (press). What we generally admire is the fact he has stood up for himself and the club to a degree and it’s about time someone said or did something about the sports press’s continued horlicks they print week after week.

Good for you Joe, err JFK, all you need to do now is get the team to perform on the pitch……

If MA thinks he can con us Geordies again by expecting us to forget what has happened this year then think again.

Ashley SELL UP and F OFF. We are not being fooled again and these apparant bidders are not pulling the wool over our eyes.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:18 PM

The press have been sayin’ ugly crap about NUFC from time bro’…
    …They were not ‘right’ as you put it…Everythin’ they write, especially recently, has been after the event…They knew nothin’ under MA, so they wrote total BS…
    …The law of averages states you will guess right 20% of the time anyway…& i doubt they’ve hit that watermark!..

…They are a DISGRACE!..

…Let’s see how other coaches/managers start dealin’ with their scummy tactics!..

• Michael12

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:19 PM

This says a lot about Newcastle fans. The fact that you countenance such an response from Kinner.

What does this say about you? That you are aggressive and bad mannered. We are a civilised society not cave men, behave as such.

I am disappointing in Kinner already. If he knew that such a lambasting of the press would win him popularity among the toon populace, then no doubt he takes you all to be fools.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Well i’ve had empathy from other fans i know & that’s down in the smoke!..
    …& i know supporters from teams all over the country & world!..Make of that what you will!..
    …Maybe their scared of me & dis me behind me back…But i’m pretty sure that if they wanted a pop, they’d have had one?..

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Michael,
    it’s to do with the press mate, not Toon fans!..
    …You’re missin’ the point man!..

…Am i not articulate?..

• ObaFan2

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Well 76% of the bloggers do not agree with you Michael and you are saying 76% here are fools……. mmmmm, shame you didn’t read some of the comments before you posted and generalised, putting everyone in the same pot.

• ObaFan2

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Punk Skunk…Am i not articulate?..
    err not always mate 😆

but we’re fools (apparantly) so don’t worry 🙂

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Totally ObaFan2,
    How can anyone stick up for that poisoned-minded bahaviour of the press…It’s not just football y’know…They are the original spin machine…& they are the ones who try to make out that we should derise spin…Go figure?..

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:32 PM

ObaFan2,
    i’m not sayin’ i don’t use sound bites, if that’s what you mean about my apparent lack of articulation… Lol!..

• ObaFan2

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Some people will argue black is white ’til they’re blue in the face……..

The press is rubbish and that’s why I don’t buy it.

Good for JK for sticking up for himself and it’s no problem to me the way he done it.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Agree obaFan2,
    i was pullin’ y’leg mate!..

😀

• ObaFan2

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:36 PM

Punk Skunk , I must say that you sometimes have a unique style (lol sound bites 🙂 )and didn’t mean any offence, just joking and making fun of the situation cos imo …. it’s the funniest thing that’s happened in ages 🙂

To be an individual in this day n age is something to be proud of…. 🙂

• Gordon

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:41 PM

This thread makes me sad.

I genuinely thought the poll would be the opposite way around, if not more so.

• radge

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I think the comments from jk were brilliant…for one reason….there’s been very little press about the players, the takeover, wise, ashley, the boycott or anything. His rant has attracted all the attention and relieved some of the focus and pressure on the players. Mourinho and ferguson do it all the time. I don’t know whether it was a deliberate tactic from him, but if it was, it’s been an inspired move.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:42 PM

😀

…What can i tell ya’ mate!..

…gotta say, i generally find myself agreein’ with ya’ mate!..

…Later!..

…Toon, Toon!..

• steve

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:13 PM

hardly a surprise that JK finds support for a foul mouthed tirade when most footballers are moronic themselves.

surely he could have made a point without continually resorting to f*** and c***, then again it shows that footballers, supporters and managers in general are mostly uneducated and resort to some sort of primal language when confronted with anything they don’t agree with.

• London Mag

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:34 PM

Steve,
    You are so right, now F*** off you c***.

• London Mag

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Apologies Steve, it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

• Michael12

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:45 PM

I do not think any of you are fools, I wrote that Kinner may be taking you for fools.

I do not mind and indeed encourage people to stand up for themselves however, standing up for yourself is not one in the same has regurgitating vulgar doggerel. One can stand up for themselves and need not spew such offensive language.

Problem here is people here equate swearing in live interviews as standing up for him / herself.

There is a distinction.

• London Mag

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Steve, I do agree with a portion of your argument, but call fans uneducated is a little narrow minded.
    The roots of football and its players worldwide originated in working class areas. The vast majority of fans live all of their lives in that same working class environment. Football WAS
    a game played by and supported by the working classes.
    I’ve been a supporter for fifty years now, and I much preferred the game I watched from standing terraces all those years ago. Great banter and yes bad language ruled. This created something called an atmosphere, something lacking in all Premiership grounds today. Footballers played because they loved playing, and they felt priviledged in doing so. Yes they used bad language, but the managers used worse.
    Why? Because then, as in the present, managers are more accountable than the players. They are sacked, the players play on.
    Todays modern hack is a parasite. Lets face it they are scum, and I’m speaking generally, not just fotball, but across the board. They thrive on the downfall of others, and I applaud Kinnear for giving something back to them, that they give out on a daily basis to people in all walks of life. They will say that they work within the guidelines of the press association. History shows this not to be the case.
    Incidentally, I bleed black and white, I am proud of my working class roots, I follow Newcastle United home and away. I work as a barrister in Central London, and I swear profusely!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good Luck Joe, you are going to need it, but the true fans of NUFC will back you.
    back you

• steve

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:32 PM

LondonMag – I agree with you that not all fans are uneducated – however when they get together it seems to be lowest common denominator rules

I’m obviously toon through and through and was dragged up in Whitley Bay so can’t get more working class – my argument certainly isn’t against the real working class of which I count myself one

The press and society in general feed off big headlines hence the popularity of the Sun, NOTW, Heat, Hello and all gutter press – JK’s tirade just creates easy ammunition for journalists to come up with yet more headlines to yet again knock our club.

Joe’s responses are hardly what you would call measured

oh well – hopefully we’ll beat Everton on Sunday

Come on the toon!!!

• Robby Bobson

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:45 PM

The only problem is that the people reporting the story are the people that Kinnear attacked. So we will be able to read alot more rubbish about Toon.

I support JK, i think he could have been a tad less aggressive, but fair play with the overall purpose…its about time someone said if your gonna write Sh*t about the club then im not going to talk to you.

Does anybody know if somebody wrote “b*ll*cks to Newcastle” as Joe claims. Because if that is true then Joe has every right to say what he said.

• sixo