Reports That No Nigeria or South Africa Bids For Newcastle


The BBC is reporting that Newcastle United have told any potential investors to contact the club about their intentions by this Tuesday, October 7th.

Mike Ashley – all serious bidders notify club by this Tuesday

But it could also be that consortiums from Nigeria and South Africa have not lodged any bids, despite the many reports of the last week ot two.

Apparently businessmen from America, and the Far and Middle East make up a group of seven different potential buyers. So we would expect that translates to possible Middle East and China bids, and one from America – at least so far.

BBC Sport says the takeover could happen by the middle of November if serious buyers bid by 7th October, and that coincides with Joe Kinner’s tenure he mentioned when he was appointed as interim manager a week ago. Mike Ashley now is said to be asking between £250M to £300M for the club.

BBC Sport’s Garry Richardson talked about this on Radio 5 Live’s Sportsweek program:

“It’s hoped that Tuesday will be a significant day in the sale of the club.”“Interested parties who wish to buy Newcastle have been asked to make their intention clear by Tuesday as to whether they intend to make a serious bid for the club.”

“If there are serious buyers who emerge by Tuesday, the sale could then be completed by the middle of November.”

A four-page document with basic facts and financials relating to the club has been distributed to potential buyers, and they have been asked so sign a confidentiality agreement, relating to the information.

It has been widely reported that both a South African and Nigerian consortium have bid for the club, but Richardson added:

“I have been told that there is no interest from Nigeria or South Africa”.

So it may well be that we haven’t yet heard from the new buyers of the club.

Oh well, maybe we’ll get more real news after Tuesday.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

11 comments so far

  • Dan13

    Oct 5, 2008 at 10:38 AM

    Comment #1

    Oh well, a win today will cheer iz up

    0
  • Charlie

    Oct 5, 2008 at 10:40 AM

    Comment #2

    Cmon the lads. 4 nil to the toon!!

    0
  • Nick 69

    Oct 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM

    Comment #3

    hopefully there wont be any bids from south africa or nigeria cos i dnt want any of them, theyre both obviously blatant liers as they have both said they hav bidded for us when they havent, somethings dodgy about both groups and i dont want anything to do with them

    0
  • JakartaDean

    Oct 5, 2008 at 12:01 PM

    Comment #4

    I’ve given up. I still check the site, Ed, but I don’t believe a word anybody says. Hopefully we’ll get confirmed news (both sides announcing) of a sale soon. Until then, I don’t believe anything anyone says. It’s just too… upsetting.

    0
  • Wallsend Will

    Oct 5, 2008 at 12:03 PM

    Comment #5

    It’s absolutely incredible if no bids have been received from Nigeria or South Africa! What the hell is going on. Allegedly talking to Kevin Keegan about a share of the Club? A proposed Brazilian Technical Director of Football? £100M to be made available for transfers etc? AND LOTS AND LOTS OF OTHER STUFF! Something really dodgy about all of this. If Mike Ashley receives no serious offers by Tuesday presumably he’ll take the club off the market, sit back and watch how Joe Kinnear gets on with managing the team. By the way is it true that starting today all of the next six matches with Kinnear in charge are to be screened LIVE on TV?

    0
  • Toon Daft

    Oct 5, 2008 at 12:21 PM

    Comment #6

    yeah, our next six games are all live on either Sky or Setanta

    0
  • Doocey

    Oct 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM

    Comment #7

    Keep’s suprising me. Just sell the club to the group with the best intentions for the club. Reinstate Keegan, give him some money to spend and start concentrating on getting results on the pitch.

    0
  • Sav

    Oct 5, 2008 at 1:07 PM

    Comment #8

    Neither any bidders nor the bank handling the sale have any duty or mandate to keep the fans informed. I guess that’s saying about where we stand in the scheme of things.
    Anyway we will know when we are told and not before. It also shows (again) how little the investigative journalists have to offer. They rely on tattle and gossip and these blokes aren’t the gossiping kind.

    0
  • tony tolhurst

    Oct 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM

    Comment #9

    fourty years of supporting the toon. its over now lads. i live 180 miles away and have watched them every chance ive had. was even there wen moscow dynamo whopped us in a friendly in a blizzard. enough is enough . thank you ashley thank you wise . things have always been bad except for brief spells but you lot managed to make it worse.dont no where to turn. even my home town team blyth spartans seem to have a lot of mackems on board im not interested in foreign billionaires or consortiums .id rather we sank to the depths and started again. why dont we start a new club. newcastle phoenix rising from the ashes. anything would be better than this joke/nightmare. im off beer .my sex life is non existantand ive started reading books about the old greats such as hughie gallacher again we sold him because he didnt see eye to eye with the board. and theres the answer always decent players, loyal fans and a shite board HAWAY THE PHOENIX

    0
  • Paul141726

    Oct 5, 2008 at 2:26 PM

    Comment #10

    OK, so there has been no bid from either the Nigerian or South African groups. Do we even know if there are any of said groups interested in buying the club, or just a lot of smoke and mirrors from Mssrs. Nathaniel and Cleland who are just making things up as they go along? By the way, everything about the Nigerian bid has now gone quiet. Excuse me for being sceptical, but I don’t think there was any Nigerian consortium to begin with in this sordid tale. It seems to me that all of us (fans, press, players, KK and maybe even Cashley) have been fed red herrings at every turn. Then again, if all the cloak and dagger intrigue has been done to keep an official bid from getting out too early I will resign my membership in Skeptics R Us.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.