Bassong Pushing For Left Back Starting Position

Joe Kinnear had to rush down to the tunnel after 35 minutes of the game yesterday, to get instructions to Chris Hughton, since his cell phone was playing up.

Jose Enriquue – hamstring was playing up?

Joe wanted to have Enrique replaced, since he seemed to be limping, and he hadn’t trained much apparently in the previous week. However, Kinnear is adamant he did not break any rules in his attempts to get Enrique off the pitch quickly.

He told the Shields Gazette this morning:

“It was a tactical thing in some respects.” “Jose hasn’t trained and played, and I thought I’d give him maybe 50 or 60 minutes, but he started limping with the same injury, and I thought: ‘I’d better do it now’.”

“That’s when I was running down (to the tunnel). I couldn’t get the phone to work. Every time I was getting through to Chris, it was cutting out.” “I dumped the phone, and ran down. I was just shouting round the corner. I didn’t go on the pitch, so I don’t know why they are making anything of it.”

“I got the substitution sorted, and went back upstairs. I went down in the second half just to pass on some information because my mobile had gone, and I couldn’t get reception.” “It was really frustrating. I want to be on the bench. I want to see things and act quickly. Thankfully, it’s all over.”

We don’t think Joe will be penalized for that, because he was trying to save Jose more potential serious injury, so Joe should be OK surely.

At the time it seemed to us more like a tactical switch, because Jose wasn’t linking up too well upfield with Charles N’Zogbia. As it happens, Bassong played really well when he came on, and is looking a better player with each outing.

And it seemed that Jose was a little  mystified why he was being replaced. and It’s now going to be interesting to see who starts at left back against Manchester City in two weeks, our money will be on Sebastien.

• magsie

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Bassongs a better left back than Charlie by miles!!
    1st?

• Edd Case

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:32 PM

Bassong is a centre back, not a left back…

But, he’ll do a good job.

• Mikey24

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Bassong is a beast down the left, wonder how he’d fair in the middle? Love the way he just bounces wingers off the ball like they arent there. I do like Enrique though and he has a hell of a lot of potential too. See how the next few weeks pan out really. Hope we put on a good who against city

• Leo

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:44 PM

its a good option to have because bassong could do a good job at CB but works really well on the left because he seems to work well with charlie

i would much rather charlie being left midfield and bassong on the left full back position, it means we have more pace and once beye is back we will be singing

• Legs

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Any one noticed bassongs running technique, love it. It kinda reminds me of michael johnsons (sprinter) style.

I think he’s steller, plus its obvious him and charlie have a good relationship on and off the field. Keep em both on the left.

• Rasko a.k.a Hadji

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Use Nokia next time 🙂

• beyethegreat

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:56 PM

here is how i rate our signings thiis summer

spidey

Guthrie
    Coloccini
    Bassong
    Xisco

• cause I got the girth

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:00 PM

the woman on the love cyprus advert under me (no pun intended) is mint!!! Just thought i would point that out!

• beyethegreat

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:04 PM

girth that did not need pointing out i think we all realized that and at the very least its better than that picture off britney shaving her head

• beyethegreat

colo
    guthrie
    bassong
    xisco

• beyethegreat

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:11 PM

rasko its a good point you make thier at 1st i have to admit i did not know who kinnear is but now i think he is great though there is still time for things to go belly up and at nufc that could well happen

• neeraj

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM

bassong is the perfect player to bring maximum out of enrique

• k k forever

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:16 PM

Africa,s bid>>>>A SCOTS businessman last night claimed his £300million deal to take over Newcastle United would “astound the world”.

Jonathan Cleland, 46, brushed off doubts about his ability to clinch the deal and said he would find backers with the cash.

Cleland – who says other Scots are involved in the plans – added: “We are going to put together a deal that will astound the world because of the remarkable vision, insight and networking that has been brought to bear to make it come to pass.”

He described his role in the plans as “chief executive” and said he had anticipated there would be those who doubted him.

He said: “We are trying to buy a venerable English institution in the world of football.

“Of course there are going to be people that get cold feet or get a little bit nervous.”

Doubts were raised at the weekend over the credibility of the deal after one reported backer, South Africa’s richest man Johann Rupert, said he’d never heard of Cleland.

The Record told on Saturday how Rupert and two other South African tycoons had flatly denied knowing anything about a deal.

But Cleland, who was born in Africa to Scottish parents, said: “That is part of the cost of putting a deal of this scale together. I can’t comment on speculation.

“All I can tell you is that who we eventually do the deal with – because we will eventually do a deal with Newcastle United – may not be those originally identified.

“Obviously, the people who were mentioned were the people who were, at the time, our preferred backers.

“But if they fall by the wayside, then we will respect their decisions.”

Cleland admitted: “With the potential money that we identified deserting us, I’m less confident but I remain enthusiastic.

“The way I put it is – money follows good ideas, good people and a good plan and we have those, so we believe money will follow, if not from these gentlemen then certainly from others.”

Cleland, who came to Scotland nine years ago, runs a management consultancy called Corpreneurs from his home in Stirling.

He said: “Corpreneurs is my consulting business. What we do is to help businesses to improve their results.

“I don’t want to talk about me personally. I’m not doing this for celebrity.

“I’m doing this to help a wonderful English institution be the success it deserves.

“Of course I am serious about this. My own credibility is at stake and the credibility of Corpreneurs.

“I will never sidestep attention if it helps us but in this case it doesn’t.

“We need to operate under the radar to bring out the really big money people.

“The really big money people don’t want to have their names in the press.”

Cleland walks with the aid of a stick after suffering a stroke in 2004.

He runs the charity Headlight and said: “I’m demonstrating that people who’ve had brain injuries can recover.

“Some might argue it took my brain injury to be interested in Newcastle United.”

Last week, Cleland said he’d already met former manager Kevin Keegan and plans to bring the Toon idol back to St James’s Park.

‘Some might argue it took my brain injury to be interested in Newcastle’

• neeraj

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:19 PM

i was thinking may be we should go with a 4-5-1 combination, with n’zog as att. mid

given
    beye/ger tayls/caca colo/bass bass/enrq

duff guthr/ger bart/butt guti

………………………………….. n’zog/owen

martins/xisco

n’zog can come from left hand side of the mid field and attack th box and when there is need for another striker, n’zog can play in mid field

• Rob Lee

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:20 PM

For anyone interested, I’ve got loads of NUFC programmes for sale on ebay from 70’s, classic. Heres the link to one of them, by clicking view my other items for sale you can see the rest!

• TOONPIPES

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Bassong is wicked + it is no suprise that with zog playing further up the pitch we looked a more attacking force than for long time . . To be fair.I have slated Duff but he was excellent – really good. . The performance was better than I’ve seen since he played for blackburn . . Gan on Kinnear get them fired up . .

• TOONPIPES

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Also can’t wait to see barton with gutherie in the centre . . You have to give butt some credit for like 80minutes but in the other 10 minutes of the 90 he gives away a pen / gets a yellow card / smacks 50 yard crossfield balls out of play and it costs us – he’s jus too old but barton needs to learn frm him

• TOONPIPES

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:27 PM

I’ve said it many times, the transfers we executed were all excellent(I think xisco will come good) its a pity wor kev didn’t give the thumbs up to more of the players the recruitment team dug out for him . . Never mind

• Dan13

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:29 PM

I’ve got a funny feeling Joe might get permanent.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM

The 1st goal was offside & shoulda been called as such…just before they won the pen!..

• beyethegreat

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:31 PM

i am trying to work out the prems top 10 worst players io got 6 but i need a bit more help

• TOONPIPES

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Yes Dan me too. . I like him, I mean if things go wrong people will get on his case but I bet he wudnt bottle it, hed wait until he was forced out fighting and kicking and screaming which I like about him . . The polar opposite to someone else who used to be in charge

• Dan13

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:32 PM

I too have loads of programmes from that era mostly Newcastle but for some strange reason I have a few west ham one’s and the Gordon Banks testamonial programme.
    I’ll probs give them a few more year to improve on their value.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Bassong is definately worth a startin’ place, you could see that from day one!..He’s composed!..

• Dan13

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:34 PM

I’ve really took a shine to Kinnear like,
    But i’m going to admit, hand on heart,
    I never knew who he was, I blame this to my age!

• Dan13

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Beye the great, who do you have?

• TOONPIPES

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Punk skun he’s a monster too – strong as funk . . Him and collo at centre back . . With the way taylor playd he’s in at right back until beye is back . . Jus hope collo finds his form tho one on one he rules

• beyethegreat

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:38 PM

dan i so far have

1 bramble (its amazing no 1 else has him on thier list)
    2ameobi
    3mcshane
    4nery castillo
    5jenas
    6healy

• Dan13

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:38 PM

I really like Coloccini, he is world class its just our midfield seems to make our defence look pretty bad, oh and Taylor often leaves Colo in the shi*.
    Hope Tayls continues like he did yday tho.

• Dan13

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:39 PM

lol beyethegreat, excuse me for saying this, and as much as I dread to say it.
    Jenas is canny good 🙁

• beyethegreat

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:42 PM

acttually youre right ill take him off but i was desperate and i always thought he was overrated with us which is why i put him on the list

• beyethegreat

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:44 PM

name me a cm who plays for stoke and hell go in

• neeraj

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:47 PM

beye thegreat

why go for stoke
    when u have modric…..

speaking of modric, here’s nando

• Dan13

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:47 PM

rory delap:)
    but you can’t knock his throws

• beyethegreat

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:51 PM

true dan
    and neeraj i think he will come goodbut it does not matter now i just went for my worst 5 instead
    and then went for my prem dream team

• beyethegreat

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:57 PM

here is my prem dream team

given(i think a few people on this site will agree with me on this one and imo is better than cech and under rated)

clichy