Newcastle Players Gave Everything They Had

Kinnear saw his lads come fighting back yesterday from two goals down, and even deserve to win the game yesterday with a fighting and passionate display in the second half ,against Everton, and broke the string of 5 defeats in a row.

Steven Taylor – fighting display yesterday – and great goal at right time
Make no mistake, that was a significant game for us yesterday, and another defeat would have done little for the confidence of the lads. It represented a successful start to a tenure which is growing in authority, and as we reported earlier it could see Gerry Francis added to a coaching set-up for the first team.

Kinnear revealed that he has been putting his players through double training sessions all week as he tries to draw a major improvement in the side.

Kinnear was delighted with the character shown by his side yesterday as he commented:

“I’ve taken a team that was on the floor and hopefully we’ve changed that mentality around. Hopefully we’ll get them used to winning, or at least not being beaten now,”

“We showed great character to come back from the two goals down. The players gave me everything they had and I think we just shaded the game,”

“We created lots of opportunities and the character was first class. The situation at the club can’t get much lower and what’s been said in the Press hasn’t helped much. I have kept that away, as much as I can, from the players.”

The length of Kinnear’s tenure at Newcastle is still uncertain – and of course fully dependent on how quickly the Newcastle sale goes through, but the news is that if there are firm offers into Newcastle by the deadline tomorrow, it should be around the middle of November for the sale to be completed, but it may drift out a bit.

Joe has raised the prospect of being in charge for 10 games after this game – but that would not be too much of a worry if Joe can keep improving the team, and the confidence, as he has done over this last week – let’s give him the credit he deserves – he’s flung himself into this job and seems so enthusiastic and determined to be successful.

If Joe can do really well at Newcastle, this could become a highlight of his career, as odd as that may sound, and could lead to him getting back into management full time.

And it appears clear the players will be expected to work and fight every game 100% for the team, and no heads will drop while Kinnear is manager, that’s for sure.

Newcastle’s interim manager may have got himself into trouble for standing at the tunnel trying to shout advice to his players, but surely the FA will not take action  on this.

Kinnear talked about the incident:

“I was passing information on – all I wanted to do was make a substitution and I didn’t go in the tunnel. If the FA want to be so trivial, so be it,”

“I wanted to get some information across – what’s the big deal? I can’t see it being a problem. It makes me wonder, if it was someone else would they be in trouble?”

Of course the whole thing was shown live on TV, and it seemed Joe was anxious to get to the pitch for some reason – the substitution seems the answer, but the last thing we want is for the FA to ban him again.

There was like 4 minutes to go in the game, and therefore that time to go in his touchline suspension – give him a break.

• lesh

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:39 AM

If Joe’s instilled a bit of grit into the lads, well done and let’s hope we move on and up from here.

• lesh

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:41 AM

But I thought I’d read that his ban had been speent as it applied to Nottingham Forest’s next two games.

May be wrong of course…. bu let’s hope the FA are a bit understanding given the circumstances.

• irish_al

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Hi Lesh,

Suspensions are related to the individual rather than the club, same with players, remember lee bowyer was banned from european competition when he joined us, from when he stamped on a malaga player (i think) whilst at leeds

• Xsico golden boot

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:58 AM

If th FA ban joe they are wrong also maybe mersyside police should answer to the FA instead of the home secretary as they obviously take orders from the refs what a p***k that coppa was jobsworth I want my minute of fame lookat me I am in authority as you can see I hate people like him he should have left it to the ref he was not even near the bench the tunnelsir alex would not be treated like this

• Whumpie

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:03 AM

It was great to actually enjoy watching Newcastle again – albeit only for the last 50 minutes. Some really gritty stuff in there, with a few old problems to sort out – like Butt’s ability to go in with both feet, and Geremi’s 1-in-10 crossing ability.

And can someone – ANYONE – in the squad please learn to take a *£*&$* corner??

Taylor’s performance had me wondering if he’s missed his true calling and has the attacking nouse to be a decent right-back. It’s certainly great news to see he can step in there when needed, and if it gets him further away from Coloccini, that’s a good thing too.

Fantastic stuff from Taylor and a good answer to the (well-deserved) recent criticism. He didn’t even handball in the box…

I’m also quite hopeful that Duff will now start to show he’s still got it. His goal was the first time I’ve seen so many black and white shirts in a box during open play in months. Brilliant to see.

Shame about the single point, but you can’t play that badly for the first 40 minutes of a match and expect 3. Get Martins and Jonas back and I think we’ll be on the up again.

• Chilly

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:07 AM

That was Evertons first point of the season that hadn’t come from a newly promoted side. Everton could have some problems this season!

• Chilly

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:09 AM

totally agree with Whumpie on that fact about corners!!! i’m sure Guthrie is a decent taker, he set up Martin’s goal at Man U didn’t he?

• thelongshanks

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:24 AM

taylor played well at full back maybe could be new position for him.Though duff looked sharf and guthrie was good in the centre.Bring back gutierrez,beye and martins and the results will come.

• Len

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:30 AM

While players gave everything they had is good to read we have fallen a long way when thats headline news. Most people do that for their pub team on a Sunday. I am beginning to think JFK is exactly what our shower of slackers need.

• Sav

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Danny took one yesterday that was so bad they didn’t let him near another. They did let him take a free in but that was as bad.
    If Bassong works on his throw-ins he could be wor Delap.

• Karltoon

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Its a shame it takes us going 2-0 down to play well.. Been like that for a few seasons now like

• Whumpie

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM

I’m still not convinced JFK is controlled enough for anything more than an interim ‘Mr Fix It’ role – but he’s certainly doing something right at half time. If only he could have done the same before the match we’d be 2 points richer now.

Still, it’s not a bad start from Sweary Mary.

• Toon_Ksk

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:26 PM

I do hope the FA can stop acting like some mofos.

• Ross

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:30 PM

sav-said that to my dad at the time mate, bassong looked like he had quite an arm on him like.