Michael Owen Is A Very Proud Lad

Joe Kinnear thinks that Michael Owen being left out of the England squad will help Newcastle United.

Michael Owen – will be disappointed at being left out

It was certainly a surprise that Owen was not included this time around, when you consider Jermain Defoe and Emile Heskey were two of the strikers picked by Fabio Capello for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Belarus.

Kinnear talked today to the Evening Chronicle about Michael:

“Michael is a very proud lad and he loves playing for his country, and he will obviously be disappointed at being left out.”  “But he is a terrific professional, and I know that there will be no need for me or many of my coaching staff to have to lift his morale up.”

“He is an experienced professional and he would not let any disappointment with England affect anything that he has to do with Newcastle United.”  “Yes, I was surprised to hear Michael was not in the England squad.”

“If you look at his goals record, it is probably better than some of those who are in the squad, and in this aspect he is light years ahead of them.”  “Even if he had been on the bench for England in their World Cup games he would have been a huge asset because he can assess the situation very well.”

“In fact, I would go as far as to stake my life on Michael Owen, and I have to say that England’s loss will be our gain.” “I only hope England do not lose any of these two games and people turn round and say leaving Michael Owen out was not the best thing to do.”

It’s a bit of a blow for Michael, but he’s a big boy and will get over this, and he’ll know what he has to do is keep playing his football and scoring those goals, and an England recall is highly likely.

It’s positive for Newcastle because Owen will now be trying so hard to play well and score goals – for Newcastle – because that will determine when he will get a recall.

That can’t be bad.

• ToonKing

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Everyone knows that leaving Mickey out is a huge mistake….but as Joe said, England’s loss is our gain.

• tommytrouble

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:55 PM

he’s not proud. you need a soul to be proud, and that he hasn’t got.

• Stevo

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:56 PM

He’s the only one on the England team that plays with pride. It’s glamour to the rest of the bunch. I gave up on them hopeless b**stards a long long time ago. Massive massive mistake. I will be reluctantly grin when I see the arrogant Cappello’s face when his side come away with bore 0-0 draws or goalless defeats.

• A.L 9

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:00 PM

tommytrouble what on earth are you talking about?

• Stevo

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Tommy – what you talking about fella? The lads been running around like a headless chicken for us these last few games trying to get a goal to lift the team. I count that to be a player that plays with pride. He’s proud to be wearing the shirt mate. He could just leave next window but I reckon he will dig his heels in and sign a contract.

• samthecat

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Owen wont get injured on England duty-thats all that matters to me.

• Spidey

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM

I thought it was a disgrace what Capello said about this the other day, if he was quoted correctly in the source I read, he all but said Owen won’t get picked if he stays at Newcastle. Basically putting it down to the turmoil at Newcastle, stating the form at Newcastle is so poor he can’t pick him. What about Beckham, in a conference team who haven’t won for over 3 months, or Jenas?! Appauling behaviour, he knows what he is doing. He is part of a large number of people, managers, press, pundits, commentators etc, who are all dying to see him walk out on us.

• dave

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I’m delighted he hasn’t been picked – everytime he plays for England he comes back crocked and with our squad threadbear we can’t afford any injuries. I do believe he aught to have been though! Englands loss is our gain

• Gorman

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:11 PM

He hasnt got a soul, wth?

• Jack

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Leaving him out for team record is a ridiculous reason. Jenas is in there and he’s not set the world alight for club nor country this year. And where are his team? Bottom. 5 goals in 6 games for MO. Our gain that he’s not in the squad but he should be.

• tommytrouble

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:37 PM

He doesn’t care about the club at all, he only cares about michael owen. It’s only recently that he stopped calling us ‘my club’ instead of newcastle. He might have pride in Michael Owen as an image, but not pride as a player, playing for Newcastle United. I’ve never heard him once sound passionate about anything. It always sounds like he’s reading from a script. As capello said, scoring a goal isn’t enough in a match, we need much more than that. I can’t believe he was ever made captain, real players like shay must have been gutted.

• tommytrouble

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:39 PM

an ill be shocked if he signs a new contract…

• wigaz

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Tommy it’s fans like you who would make his mind up to walk! he’s never goin to be as loyal as shearer as he’s not a geordie but he’s best player & the reason other quality players would come to us! get off the lads back son! what more could he do to convince you? he’s scored 5 bloody goals & has been our best player during KK’d time & through the all the shite!

• MichaelOWaN

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Capello hates Owen, thats official. I feel bad for Owen because he has to take the blame for the club’s current turmoil. I hope he will score more goals for us and prove that Capello was wrong to leave him out of the squad.