Gould Says Kinnear Needs Some Time At Newcastle

Bobby Gould worked with Joe Kinnear at Wimbledon and knows Joe and his abilities as much as anybody.

Bobby Gould – Joe needs some time (cheer up Bobby)

Gould said today he is confident his former colleague Kinnear has the personality to make the very best out
of his opportunity at Newcastle United, and Joe has made a good start, but of course it’s just one game.

Bobby talked about Joe today:

“It’s a siege mentality. Some of you blokes wrote about that. We had it down at Wimbledon. He has got to find out whether or not he has that siege mentality. Give him time. It is a four-letter word called time.”

“As a person, the players will respect him and love him in his own way, in his own personality. He is not Kevin Keegan and his training will not be like KK. It will be what he wants.”

“He will develop that. Will he have enough games? I don’t know. But he has to make sure he gets the best out of all of them while he is there. His forte is man-management.”

“I am crossing all my fingers. I just hope he has that luck because we all need that luck. If he wins all six or eight games on the bounce then he should definitely be considered for the job permanently.”

Gould took Joe to Wimbledon for his very successful spell there, and he faced many problems at the London club, which of course will stand him in good stead on Tyneside. Bobby also talked about how Joe finally got the Wimbledon job, as he continued:

“I took Joe in, I wanted a reserve-team coach and he came in at Wimbledon and did a great job for me. You imagine going to school every day, managing Wimbledon is like managing the worst secondary modern school in the world and every day was a problem. I had to make sure I got the right people in.”

“When I left and they appointed Ray Harford, he moved on and then Peter Withe came in and then he left after a bad period. He tried to change things, no jeans, you have got to wear trousers and that wasn’t Wimbledon. He came in, then lost his position.”

“Sam Hamman (the Wimbledon chairman) came to me – I was at West Brom – and said ‘look, I’m struggling come back’ but I said ‘no, I can’t, I’ve got to honor my contract, put Joe in charge. Sam, put Joe there’.”

“Sometimes you’ve got to go in and he gave him his chance and the lads responded to him.” “Two semi-finals you know. He kept them up. I kept them up. We kept them up on a shoestring.”

Joe has a huge opportunity at Newcastle, but time is not on his side. He knows he must get results immediately so Sunday’s result was good in that it stopped the rot, but now we must get some wins to start moving up the table.

We’ve been assured by Joe that he’ll work day and night to get Newcastle back on track, and it’s so refreshing to see somebody so enthusiastic, and dare we say – positive, about Newcastle United.

We’ve liked what we’ve seen so far.

• Dubai Toon

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I reckon he’s an inspired choice, he has the man-management skills to get the team working together and that’s one of the most important aspects of the job.

I wouldn’t bet on him being appointed next permanant manager – if he wants it.

Incidentally, if anyone’s in Dubai (I live here) and is interested in some informal Toon get togethers e-mail me at ourmanindubai at yahoo dot com

• Whumpie

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:51 AM

It’s going to be a frustrating week and a half! It’s far too early to know whether JFK is going to do a good job or not, and that match against Citeh will be such an important test.

What I do like is that there is now a gap between what happens with the club and what is happening on the pitch with the team. One is still all shifting sand, speculation and press BS, while the other seems to be relatively progressive and stable. (Well – as stable as you can be with an interim setup.)

Gone are the protests, scared players and reports of rebellion in the dressing room. We’re back to thinking about who plays where in the next match.

I also think we’ll see just how big a cause injuries were of the 5-game losing streak. With JFK getting the team focused and the likes of Jonas and Martins back, I’m optimistic.

As for the sale, I think we need to take a chill pill and realise that quarter-billion pound companies don’t sell like packets of crisps. Ashley has everything in place, including the best lawyers in the business and one of the only profitable clubs in the league. If it takes months, so be it.

As supporters, we’ve got what we wanted from the protests, and just need to let things pan out now. We need to get back to putting our efforts into support for the team.

• Whumpie

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Cheeee-rist, I type too much.

• Ausgeordie

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM

I like the way he has come out and immediately taken the pressure of the players by making a spectacle of himself. Its like he is on one side of the room saying look at me look at me oh f^&kheads look at me? Everyone sees a new story so leaves the players alone.

We need man management more than anything and I think Joe can do a good job for us in the interim and in the future maybe with the reserves. Houghton should not be in charge of the next crop of youngsters thats for sure.

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I would agree with Ausgeordie. Think JK is doing a good job press wise etc. and looks as though he is building up the teams belief in itself again.

I think he will be here for longer than he thought given the speed that MA is working at to sell the club.

The main positive thing I have seen 🙂 is that people are actually talking about football on here again 0 which can only be good ! 😀

Ho’way the lads !!!!

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:25 PM

also well put Wumpie !

• Punk Skunk

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:23 PM

Aye,
    it’s good to get back to talkin’ about football, for a change!..
    …LOVE the way JK ‘handles’ the press!..
    …Give ’em nowt & tell ’em where to go, we don’t need them!..

…This break should give him a bit of quality time to get the Lads sorted out also!..
    …Couldn’t have come at a better time…& Owen doesn’t have to play for that shower of sh…

• skin d

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:42 PM

dont get carried away people,hope he does do well,if he was offered it full time,lets hope fat boy ashley has nothing to do with it.

• Paul

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:36 PM

It’s like a trip down memory lane since Kinnear came. Bobby Gould, ‘Fash the Bash’, sheepskin coats, siege mentalities. “Marvellous!” as Ron Manager used to say.

• Punk Skunk