Francis – Working At Newcastle An Honor

Gerry Francis looks like he will make a decision on whether to take up Joe Kinnear’s offer of coaching at Newcastle on a part time basis, within the next couple of days, once he meets face to face with Joe over the weekend in London.

Gerry Francis – already has part time coaching job at Stoke

Francis talked to Sky Sports News today about the Newcastle offer:

“I have spoken to Joe Kinnear and I have been made an offer,” “We will meet in the next few days to discuss it.”

“It will be a coaching role and it will not be full time. Anyone would see it (working at Newcastle) as an honor

Newcastle as owner Mike Ashley continues to try to sell the club, but things have gone tather quiet in this last week, and it is unclear to everybody (including Joe, how long Kinnear will remain in charge of Newcastle.
It’s an uncertain situation, that’s for sure.

Francis continued:

“It is an unusual situation there, and there are things to work out,” “I have to look at the whole situation. We will have to chat and see what he (Kinnear) wants.”

“Also, there is the time factor – I don’t know how long Joe will be there. I will look at it, decide what to do, and take it from there.”

“I don’t know Joe that well and have never worked with him.” “But it is a new experience for me and it wouldn’t faze me.”

“I am at a good football club at the moment,”  “I really enjoy it at Stoke and that (proving the critics wrong) is a difficult job.”

If Gerry coming to Newcastle will help Joe get more out of the team, then we’re all for it, and we’re sure the compensation will be more than attractive, but we think the odds are that Gerry will just stay at Stoke, but we’ve been wrong before.    😀

• Alex

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:48 PM

It seems strange that joe wants him at the club when , in the words of Francis they dont know each other that well and have never worked together . You would have thought that joe would want people that he knows .

• Dan13

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:59 PM

A really like Joe,
    Even to go as far as saying give him longer than January, or rest of season?

• Soren

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:11 PM

I think you’re right on the money in the end Ed. Wouldn’t be surprised if Francis chose to stay at Stoke. Also agree with Alex that Francis is a strange choice giving that he doesn’t know JK.

• Dan13

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:22 PM

A wonder why Francis has caught his eye then?
    A personally don’t know him.

• beyethegreat

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:23 PM

i like kinnear and wouldnt be opposed to have him as long term manager

• Toon Graeme

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:24 PM

If there is one thing about NUFC of late is that there is nothing that surprises me.

I must confess that I was in Shearers today. Yes I know about the boycott – but in all honesty I only had a pi$$ as I was passing (bursting) – so you could say I pi$$ed on MA!!

Anyway getting back to the point. Im sure JFK has got a plan in mind and am happy to sit back and see what happens.

Man City will be a hard match but I have faith that the boys will play like they did against Everton (second half).

The fact JFK will be on the touchline makes things better for the team – in as much as he can get his instructions asap – no via phone link.

If we can do that possession thing like we did and get a goal out if it (couldnt against everton) would be excellent.

No one can deny that when we had that three mins of possession – everton players couldnt touch the ball – pissed their crowd off too which was a bute.

Come on team – lets get behind JFK and the lads.

• Dan13

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:28 PM

Anaaa come on lads!
    I don’t know what to do though, my work experience is in town (round corner from Central Station), and finishes at 5.
    So I don’t know whether it would be pointless going home and then coming back, or I could just kill some time in town????

• Dan13

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM

Oh Ed, your even spelling like an American now.
    Honor?!
    Its honour man 😆

• Xsico golden boot

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:00 PM

I am woundering what JK is wanting francis for like you have all said he hardly knows him. I am really starting to like JK he has stopped all the media attacks I think they know he will turn as quick as them they cowards. well lets hope we can get three points next monday joe certinaly seems to be doing a job on the players nice to see them smiling.

• Ganiyu

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Xisco new shola

• Ausgeordie

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Why is everyone worried that Francis does not know Joe that well. Half our problems have come form people hiring thier mates instead of the right man for the job

• Tom Mo.

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Yessss hahahah it’s honor. not honour

• micepie

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:21 PM

He could help and more staff numbers certainly won’t hurt but…it looks like he wears a ferret on his head these days!

• Ganiyu

Oct 9, 2008 at 11:12 PM

Any body linked to Newcastle?

• sirjasontooon

Oct 10, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Ganiyu please leave these boards you muppet.

• Len

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:55 AM

I’m warming to JFK as well.

• Marty-TOON RISING

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:50 AM

Why would he come here for 8 weeks and end up without a job after that?
    He has a steady job at stoke.
    Yes it would be impressive for him to have worked with class players like ours and to be coach at a grt club.That would be nice for his cv.
    Get some1 thats available JK

• lesh

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Hey Ganiyu…. Xisco new shola….. who JFK’s likened to another John Fashanu!!!

• brownrob

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Ganiyu new fernando

• Rasko a.k.a Hadji

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Ganiyu,you crack me up sometimes 🙂

• Ericles

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:32 AM

I like Joe too. I do not think the Francis angle will work out. After all, he will not know how long for in view of Ashley’s present predicament.
    If it pans out that the club is bought eventually and KK returns I would like to see Joe remain at St James in some capacity. He shoots from the hip and does not miss and that is what is needed. Wor Jackie died 20 years ago yesterday.

• Karltoon

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Joey Barton ‘reckons’ KK back by Oct 31st..

Although, how much the players actually know is questionable like.

I like Joe too, but i wasnt adverse to him coming in the first place.

• Micky Toon

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Perhaps this comment found on the BBC website will explain why we might be looking to offer Francis a job.

” Banker Keith Harris, the man charged with selling Newcastle for owner Mike Ashley, has admitted that finding a buyer for the club may prove impossible in the current financial crisis”

Hmmm…….

• Sav

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Keith Harris says ‘”Mike bought the club for the right reasons and it hasn’t worked out but it is a magnificent, iconic, football brand.
    “Newcastle is in a part of the country where there is ferocious regional support and therefore, if there is going to be an investor, it won’t come from England unless we uncover a trillionaire Geordie who wants to buy it.’

So now we’re an iconic football brand and the reason Ashley didn’t work out is because he’s not a Geordie, so its all our fault. – What a load of bollocks.

At least Jimenez had the good grace to walk away ‘to pursue other interests’ (presumably Comolli’s job).
    ]
    As Ashley has stated he’s buying no more players, there’s not much call for the poison dwarf any more but Wisey is obviously digging in for a pay-out. I don’t blame him as this could be his last job in football.

Shame about Mark ‘Skippy’ Viduka but can’t say he’ll be missed as much as he should have been as he was rarely available anyway.

• John B

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:14 AM

I am surprised to hear people saying Joe should stay longer term, are you serious?? 1 Point against Everton and suddenly he is our saviour

Nothing against him personally but he just is not the right man. In his previous job at Nottingham forest he ruined the team when it was doing quite well.

He is a firefighter, someone who can come in and give our players a kick up the arse, not someone who can sustain building a successful club.

Oh and he is a PR disaster, have seen some fans happy with his ranting at the press, I think its embarrasing, gives them yet more ammo to (rightly) call us a laughing stock.

Thanks for taking the job Joe but by Janiary I hope he is out

• Greek Toon

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:26 PM

John B. Newcastle have finally got the manager they deserve.

• Paul

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM

John B, Forest were heading for relegation (from division 1) when Kinnear took them over. He managed to get them to 14th with a good string of results. That’s a very interesting interpretation of “doing quite well”.