Newcastle Now In Ultimate Turmoil

Given has seen a lot of turmoil in his over 11 years at Newcastle, and he still has to win something – anything – at the the club.

Shay Given – Newcastle in ultimate turmoil

Shay talked today about the turmoil currently engulfing the Tyneside club:

“I have been there a long time now and I would class it as my home,” “I have been there 11 and a half years or something, so it’s a big part of my life.” “At times like this, it’s difficult. Because I’ve been there so long, I feel a little bit how the fans feel. It’s been so frustrating.”

“I’ve been through rough times at Newcastle, but this time with the club up for sale and the management up in the air, it just seems like the ultimate turmoil.” “As a player, it is easy to turn around and say, ‘I want to leave, I want to do this or that’”

“But I would love to see Newcastle really turn the corner. Hopefully, this is as low as it’s going to get and we will turn the corner and things will pick up, the club will get sold and the right people will come in to invest in the team.”

“I think someone was quoted as saying things can turn bad quickly, but they can turn really good quickly as well at Newcastle.” “It can go on a bit of a rollercoaster and hopefully that will be the case, and I would like to be part of that.”

“I would like to win some things at Newcastle. I know at the minute we are miles off that, but you look at the investors at Manchester City and you know the money they are talking about there.” “If we had someone similar, someone who is going to put money into the team, then things can change in the blink of an eye.”

We hope this current situation doesn’t go on too long, and that Ashley, with the help of Keith ,can get the club sold before the end of the year.

If we can do that we will have our new owner and manager in for the January transfer window, and then start to strengthen the squad – big time.

If Joe can keep us afloat and get us some results before then, we may still have a chance to have a decent season and even qualify for Europe again – that has to be our goal.

• brownrob

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I dont want big foreign investors willing to pump money into the team, I dont want the club to lose its identity

Sorry, but I disagree with Shay, though he is a living saint for thew club, moreso than shearer imho

• xisco biscuits

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:56 AM

these mega-rich owners are not the way forward in my eyes – you only have to look at the two most successful teams over the last ten years to tell you that – man utd and arsenal. we need sensible investment to bring stability. look at pompey, villa, everton etc over the last few years. they havent splashed huge amounts but they’ve been backed sensibly for the right players and its paid dividends. man city, chelsea etc are soul-less clubs now, and until there is a wagecap or something the game will just get more and more out of touch with working-class people

• beyethegreat

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:56 AM

SHAY IMO IS THE MOST UNDERRATED KEEPER IN THE LEAGUE

• beyethegreat

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:58 AM

GOOD COMMENTS XISCO

• ToonEskimo

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:00 AM

Well done for reaching 12 million hits Ed,
    you deserve a medal….

• selly no skill

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:03 AM

we probably only need 3 players in at about 15 mill each and we would have a team to challenge.we dont need some big arab coming in.

• beyethegreat

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:04 AM

WHERE DOES THESE PEOPLE COME FROM ESPECIALLY IN THE LAST FEW WEEKS HARDLY ANY ONE HAS BEEN ON

• xisco biscuits

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:07 AM

@ selly

probably agree with you there mate, although i think £15m per player is more than enough. imagine if we’d added moutinho or matias fernandez (£15m), warnock £5m, inler £8m, luke young £2m, and derdiyok, gomis or gomez. i think we’d have a squad capable of pushing top-6 easily…

• normski1930z

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:20 AM

tell ye what makes me laugh about the red tops is before the whole keegan thing they had the club up for sale everyweek to all and sundry now the club is actually up for sale the red tops reckon no-one wants to buy us…..

• ToonEskimo

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:21 AM

beyethegreat…
    I’ve noticed, I think the majority of fans are totally pissed off and have had as much as they can take after one disappointment after the other……..some articles on here aren’t even getting into double figures, not Ed’s fault but just an indicator of how badly things have gone wrong at the toon.

• xisco biscuits

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM

@ tooneskimo

spot on mate, i read the blog every day, normally several times a day but its been nowt but arguments between eachother lately and i think its just a sign of how frustrated we are and how much toon fans are hurting lately

• beyethegreat

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:27 AM

WHAT DOES EVERY ONE THINK OF MY EARLIER LINK

• Tom_Toon

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:29 AM

xisco – we dont need to spend anywhere near £15mil per player,

Demidov, Topal, Abdi and Kalinic would range from £3-7mil and I’d love them all here.

• xisco biscuits

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM

TOM TOON, i said the same thing only mentioning different players. only most people wont have heard of the ones you named, unless im out of touch with football, and i dont think i am… 🙂

• Ageordiedoonsooth

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:37 AM

I think you are all living in cloud cickoo land if you think:
    a) We’ll be sold quickly – It won’t happen

b) We’ll buy anyone in January – Without new owners the only transfers will be out Owen, Smith, Barton, Martins at least.

Sorry to be doom & gloom but I can’t see any other scenarion until next summer.

I hope I’m wrong but………………………..

• Tom_Toon

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:39 AM

You are wrong.

• Paul

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Beyethegreat, it makes some relevant points but the ‘who do you want to go down’ concept is nasty. Can’t stand that kind of thing, whether it’s about Newcastle or any other team for that matter.

• Chris G

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Ageordiedoonsooth – I hope I’m wrong too, but I’ve got a horrible feeling that you’re right.

• Tom_Toon

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I want Spurs to go down.

• Chris G

Oct 13, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Grow up Tom_Toon
    Read Paul’s comment again (# 19)

• micepie

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Strange, because another headline goes “morale now sky high at Newcastle”, followed by an interview with JK. It’s probably somewhere between the two but though I love Given he probably shouldn’t say too much right now in those tones because awful papers like the Daily Mail will latch onto them. It would be better if this site came up with a more balanced headline and lead-in too.

• Flan

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:13 PM

i was thinkin the same thing. where are all the regulars gone? there isn’t half the craic on this site anymore, what i wouldn’t give to even see a ridiculous comment from ed speed.

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:35 PM

‘who do you want to go down?’ ……….

How about Angelina Jolie ? She can go down on me any time !!!

Lol 😀 just trying to lighten the mood – juvenile I know !!!!

• scotty

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Anyone heard the rumor of the club being sold a done deal with shearer as manager???

• toonfan

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:37 PM

yes scotty read it on another forum, from the ronny …. yeah i know FFS eh so were did u hear it from coz thats the main reason im scouring this blog to find out if theres any truth in this rumour

• domtoon

Oct 13, 2008 at 11:46 PM

been off this site for a while due to sever football related depression, but all i can say reading the first few comments is ARE YOU MAD?

we need the club to be bought and bought by someone with LIQUID CAPITAL. unfortunately, that rules out most british investors as our economy is stuffed and most are sensible enough to realise that unless they are in the in super league of the abromovichs and man city new owners (name??? i don’t even care) they just simply are not going to be able to compete for europe.

so, basically, i think ashley must sell and must sell fast to someone very rich, otherwise it’s another half decade of misery. not to say we’ve bought rubbish over the years (we’ve bought some gems and ALL of the team MUST be supported), but without money, we’ll come bottom of the pile every time.

SOMEONE PLEASE BUY US OUT AND INVEST!!!! SOD IDENTITY!!!! WE NEED STRENGTH IN DEPTH!!!!!

2-3 reserve team members on the bench week in week out is not good. we take 2-3 injuries to our midfield, we’re truly screwed.

arghhhhh COME ON THE TOON!!!!