Harris Remains Quietly Confident Of Finding Newcastle Buyer

Keith Harris, the chairman of Investment Bank Seymour Pierce, and the man Mike Ashley has put in charge of selling Newcastle United, remains optimistic he will find a buyer for the Premier League club.

Keith Harris – confident of getting Newcastle buyer

Keith was appointed by Newcastle owner Mike Ashley last month to identify potential buyers for the famous Tyneside club, which has the best fan support of any club in England.

Keith Harris told the BBC yesterday:

”I’m quietly confident there’ll be a good solution for Mike and the fans.”

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is eager to sell the club, after completely falling out of favor with Newcastle fans, after he refused to back Kevin Keegan in a transfer dispute with Dennis Wise , Kevin Llambias and Tony Jimenez, on the very last day of this summer’s transfer market .

Harris however seems to be have remained upbeat, as he told the BBC:

”In his time of owning it, Mike has cleaned up the balance sheets and Newcastle is one of the few clubs that has no debt whatsoever, so that makes it very attractive to an incoming owner.”

Harris said Ashley has no specific time-frame for the sale, and the price they now seem to be asking for the club is around £300M, although a more reasonable price would be around £250M, and would lead to a much quicker sale.

Keith Harris has established himself as a tremendous talent in being able to sell Premier League clubs, and we can only hope he can again work his magic to find a good buyer for Newcastle United, and ther sooner the better for all concerned.

Once a new buyer is found, we can appoint a new permanent manager and our progress back to the top can start – once again.

Until then, we will rely on Irishman Joe Kinnear to steady the ship, and he’s certainly giving everything he’s got to the Newcastle cause, and you cannot ask more than that.

• Aussie Magpie Fan

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:50 AM

Will somebody please buy this club so that we can move on and get on with our lives… This is by far the worst start to a season I can remember ,as far as off field BS goes.. Right from the start of the transfer window we have been inundated with false stories and links with players with no connection with the club at all… Then we were handed the KK saga as a follow up and it is still hanging around the club like a black cloud.. But wait there is more… MA is forced to sell the club because of the backlash from the KK saga which stemed from the transfer market debacle!!.. Can you see where I’m going with this…. MA, I thought you were doing a good job mate, but it’s time to go, so please do the right thing by the club an expidite the sale…

• jude

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:11 AM

at the end of last season which brilliant coach decided to take a holiday, remaining mute the whole time, while every tom, dick and harry got linked to the club…

or wise and co were supposed to be the one deflecting them stories…..am not the person to believe he left a transfer list and went off to brk cuz that is also quite frankly crap….it don’t work like that…not if u r the kind of guy who wants to be in control….

and then KK leaving saga…brought on by none other than kk leavin himself

club in limbo with owner who wants to sell…fault of the foolish section of newcastle fans who think KK can do no wrong…

so if anyone is tired…u know what if u r a member of the foolish section….shut up…u asked for it…

if u r much wiser and didn’t jump on that nonsensical bandwagon…then i’m sorry u have to suffer for the foolishness of the few loud ones…sorri in life…sometimes the fools spoil the whole party for everyone…

i personally hope ashley stays..makes funds available.. imean in this financial crisis who is goin to find money to buy the club and then find money to buy the kind of players the over highly expectant newcastle fans want….absolutely no one

• Paul

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:25 AM

Aussie Magpie Fan. There is something very wrong with the Newcastle collective psyche. A mere change of ownership probably won’t fix it in the long term.

• Paul

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:00 AM

But I do think that something significant will happen today. Not sure quite what it is yet though!

• Grae_NZ

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:51 AM

New Start for the New Management = New Manager. I hope JFK stays on at the club.

There is nothing wrong with this club. This is the biggest chance in our history to lose the tag of “sleeping giant”. Where did it go wrong in the 1950’s- 60’s?
    Who ever takes over, it will be a step in the right direction.
    Lets stay united and get on with our lives.
    Hopefully news of the new owners by Friday and
    I wonder who it’ll be…

• Alex

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:34 AM

I hope who ever takes over does carry on with the investment in the youth system . OK we need a couple of signings too improve the first team but Ashley is right that we should bring top young talent too the club and go the Arsenal way . For me who ever takes over should give Kinnear the chance to take the club further and not some one like Ramos at spurs that is only intent on spending massive fees with no return .

• Ausgeordie

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:08 AM

Jude its all well and good to say you’d like Ashley to stay if he invests in January but he has already said in his big official statement that he wont be putting anymore money into the club.

So we need to move on. No more Ashley and in my opinion no more Keegan. Face it there were problems, we know that but he walked out on the players he had bought (those which were his choices), the rest of the team and the fans. I dont think he has the right attitude

• Rich

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:33 AM

What is it with Newcastle fans…
    One average draw with a very average everton who are leaking goals at the moment and you want to keep JK.
    So he is now the long term solution to take the club upwards into the top 6 and beyond?
    Come on. Madness…

Note, i know its not all fans. Some have sense!

• Rasko a.k.a Hadji

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:49 AM

Yaya Toure is available for 10 mill euros,wow that could send Butt to early retirement.

• 51times

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:21 AM

Arsenal would go for Yaya Toure.

• Gooderz

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:29 AM

We could always try and knick Jonjo Shelvey. I was reading his scout report on the SSN site and he sounds an ideal replacement for Butt. 6ft, hard-running, hard-tackling, excellent close control, passing ability and an eye for goal are all used in his description and he’s only 16.

• Nobby's Dad

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Jude….club in limbo with owner who wants to sell…fault of the foolish section of newcastle fans who think KK can do no wrong.

————————————————————————————————————————————-

I’m a season ticket holder and went down to the main concourse to watch the anti – Cockney mafia stuff after the Hull game. Believe me it was no worse than the sort of stuff FFS got.

Given that the club sold Milner (the reason has NEVER been explained – 12 million may be good money – but not if it’s not re-invested) bought none of the players we needed before the window closed, gave no explanation, lost KK then lost to Hull a backlash was inevitable….it’s called getting it off your chest. It’s blown over now really. Without a doubt Ashley just used the demonstrations as an excuse to publicly announce the sale of the club – something the media had stated he’d been trying to do in private.

I don’t believe for one minute that the demonstrations after the Hull game suddenly made Ashley think ‘Oh God I can never attend a match again, I’ve got to sell!!’ It’s a smoke screen intended to place the blame on the fans when in fact the man planned all along to sell out.

• Nobby's Dad

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:41 AM

Jude…..i mean in this financial crisis who is goin to find money to buy the club and then find money to buy the kind of players the over highly expectant newcastle fans want….absolutely no one
    ————————————————————————————————————————

Jude….hate to disappoint you again but there are loads of cash rich people in the World who are totally unaffected by the credit crunch.Asian, Chinese billionaires plus the super rich in the Middle East are all looking to aquire clubs in the premiership. Listening to the Dubai business journalist last week on Talk Sport he said the Sheiks in that country tend to socialise together and when one buys a club the others think ‘If he’s got one I’ll get one’. Don’t worry the money is out there.

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:17 AM

We need to bide our time on this one patience is a virtue as they say!

Lets concentrate on the football and Man Schity on Monday.

• Spidey

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:27 AM

Born Again Geordie, I agree, patience is the key and if it was the fans deciding on who took over, we would have to take our time in getting the right guys. But I can’t help question the motives of fat MA, have a feeling he is not taking his time so that he gets what’s best for the club, but rather what’s best for him.

But yes, lets focus on the game! That’s what matters most at the moment. 3 points could give us some much needed breathing room amidst this mess!

• Chris G

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Paul – I was interested in your comment that you think something significant will happen today. Is it just a gut feeling, mate, or have you heard a little whisper that you’d like to share with us?

• Shearerbliss

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:34 AM

Nobby’s Dad you are correct in alot of your facts, the problem I have is what makes fans think that a new owner would suddenly splash cash on NUFC. I mean football seams to be a bottomless pit when it comes to funds and I feel that any new owner must first bring in a world class manager who we will give time. I do not mean two season if he does not live to expectations sling him. I mean real time to change the fortunes of the club around with a fantastic youth system in the heart of the change.
    I do not want KK back as it will be a step backwards in this modern age of football. I would go for a young hungry manager and if it has to be a geordie Steve Bruce is my choice!

• Neil

Oct 14, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Shearerbliss I agree with everything you say apart from 1 thing. Surely you can’t want Steve Bruce as a manager of our club. He’s the biggest turncoat I know. He’s a Manc through and through and he’d rather they won stuff than NUFC so no thank you for him as boss. Nobby’s Dad summed everything up about Mike Ashley earlier and I for one, at the time when everyone was saying Ashley is trying to sell the club behind our backs, didn’t believe it.

• Sav

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:16 AM

If Keith Harris is such a ‘tremendous talent at selling Premier League clubs’ it would hardly be so easy as sending out 7 brochures and sitting back waiting for 7 bids?

Anyway, I though ‘quietly confident’ meant saying little, not running to the papers every time the postman calls.

Methinks he’s talking it up big-time with stories of ‘The 48th Richest Man in the World’ in the desperate hope of flushing out anyone to take it off Ashley’s hands.

• Chris G

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Slightly off topic, but I’ve just noticed this on the Talk of the Tyne website.

Early days yet, but it looks quite promising

• Shearerbliss

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Neil personally I would not want SB as manager but it seams that Geordies would only give there own time in the job. If anyone outside comes in they are sitting on a time bomb really. I just hope that if new owners pick a manager (not KK)I want that manager and board be able to handle the pressure that SJP produces and live up to the expectations to win every game put in front of us and to do it in a attractive manner most of the time.
    For this we need someone who is use to the pressure and would stick in there when times get hard. As much as I do not like it we as fans are laughed at around the world for destroying good managers. It does not matter where I go people ask me why you did not give so and so a chance to turn things around. I always have the NUFC scripted excuss, (FS played to boring while trying to make us hard to breakdown, he could have put flair in this season, but NUFC gets rid of him before seeing the full picture, Ruud did not play Shearer in Derby SACKABLE OFFENSE, etc,etc.
    WE MUST STOP when new owners come in as this will all run out and soon no one would want to be part of NUFC and we will plummit down the leauge.
    In finishing with not a lot of local players who could we pbank on to take us forward, unlike Man Utd SAF has plenty of his apprentices in top jobs. Do we!

• graeme

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:41 AM

I just dont see how the term “World Class Manager” and “Steve Bruce” can appear in the same sentence. He has done nothing to put him in that sort of class.

Now if you were talking about the Lippi’s, Heitfeld’s, Mourinho’s of this world, that I could understand. Whoever buys the club will no doubt have their own plans on this subject. As long as its not a certain Mr K Keegan, I will be happy.

• skin d

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:44 AM

rich , you are bang on joe kinnear would never have been considererd at any other time.
    it just shows how far the club has fallen under ashley.
    la,la,la,la,la.la,la hey JUDE……f##k off!!!!.

• Stevo

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:46 AM

Not getting my hopes up as it is the bloody Mirror but just read this – http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/14/newcastle-owner-mike-ashley-has-had-seven-offers-for-the-club-115875-20802017/

It does seems more and more positive stories are emerging now. Its looking good.

• Shearerbliss

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Greame the problem is would we even give them time!

• Toon_Ksk

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Deadline Oct 17. Hopefully, the sale will have some progress by then. Hope to hear some positive news on the 18th.

• CLINT FLICK

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:56 AM

More divvy ‘i can shout louder than you’ crap.

Ever heard of the word ‘loyalty’?

Shut ya’ bloodclot.

• CLINT FLICK

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Hopefully, that’ll shut a few up?

• CLINT FLICK

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Am listening to Harris talk now on setanta.

Putting to bed notions of:
    ‘NO DEADLINE’ for bids,
    ‘NO SET PRICE’ for club,
    ‘KK COULD WELL NOT BE BACK’

• Stevo

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Hitman – its great to see this Harris guy is aiming for the new owner to be in with manager in place with a good few weeks for planning before the transfer market re-opens. He seems to be hunting for a deal that will benefit both owner and supporters. Good stuff mate.

• Stevo

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Clint Flick – what do you mean?

• CLINT FLICK

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:37 AM

Sorry mate, maybe it doesn’t scan right?
    Harris said: there’s no deadline for bids to be in by, no matter what the press have put out.
    There is, & has never been a set price for buy NUFC, again, contrary to ‘popular’ belief.
    & KK is not necessarily(sp) coming back.

• CLINT FLICK

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:46 AM

He also said,
    there’s been a bit of waiting going on ‘cos of religeous holidays in certain countries.
    i.e. Ramadan.

• Stevo

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:49 AM

Well I do hope it does shut them up mate but to be honest there’s a lot out there hell bent on dragging our club down with utter sh*te they call journalism. They always manage to distort facts somehow.

• CLINT FLICK

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:57 AM

That’s there ‘real’ job mate.
    Annoying isn’t it?

But hopefully, it’ll shut a few fans up, the ones that want to believe everything they read & always seem prepared to think the worst?

• Stevo

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM

I never believed there was ‘cut off ‘ dates mate. I’m no businessman but commonsense tells you that to make deadlines for potential buyers is a bit of a negative and probably arrogant approach to take.

• CLINT FLICK

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Yea, i totally agree mate.

That doesn’t stop people thinking what they want though, does it?

Let’s just get beyond this crap & get on with the business of supporting our team.
    Don’t know about you, but i’m bored shitless about it all.

• Stevo

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:17 PM

I’m absolutely fed up mate.

I’m actually gutted it’s internationals this week because I’m really looking forward the the next game against Man City. Game against Everton showed they had character by keeping their heads up whilst being 2-0 down. But the Game against City will give us a better insight to how things really are. Club over country any day. But I guess the break is good for our injury table.

• Aussie Magpie Fan

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:44 AM

@ Paul.. Took a little while to get back on line.. For anyone that has read any of my blogs on this site will know that I didn’t want MA to go.. I thought he was doing the right thing by the club… My point was that this BS has gone on way to long and It needs to be sorted.. As far as KK goes… He may be considered a legend by some but to me he is poison for the club.. Who ever the new owners are please stay away from KK..