Three Big Consortiums In Mix For Newcastle United

The Daily Mirror is reporting this morning that Mike Ashley is making progress in selling Newcastle United – with seven serious offers on the table for the famous Tyneside club.

Keith Harris – handling sale for Mike Ashley

The Mirror is also reporting that three consortiums are in the mix, with enough money not only to buy the club, but also invest in the transfer market in January, once they install a new manager.

Investors from the Middle East, including Kuwait tycoon Nasser Kharafi, the 48th richest man in the world, China and the United States are said to be bidding for the club.

The process at the moment is that all bidders have been given a basic description of the club and its finances,  and Newcastle are currently answering any financial queries the seven bidders have, before any deal is struck.

We understand that when the offers are in, then Keith Harris, who is handling the sale for Ashley will recommend a single buyer. This is at least consistent with our earlier report this morning, that Keith was quietly optimistic of finding a good buyer for the club.

If this is true, then it looks like we’re in pretty good shape, and of course the goal would be to get new management and ownership in before January, so we can then set about getting more players into our squad.

If that can happen we’ll be happy, especially if Joe Kinnear can turn the team around, and get some good results for us in the interim.

• kizza

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM

depressing…end of

• Marty-TOON RISING

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Ed,did that say Newcastle are “answering any questions” that is amazing how they can do that now when they are wanting a sale because the reason we are in this mess is because of a lack of Answering the questions from the fans..
    Bunch of T++s

• jo

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM

sometimes u need a bit bewilderment to take u away from it all…….

• selly no skill

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM

how many times do we here from roman at chelsea,lerner at villa,glazers ,man u.need i go on.why is every toon fan constantly seeking information from ma.beats me.i just want to here from the manager ,on football issues.this bs about communication ed has gone too far and should be stopped.

• KlyToon

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM

With the club currently up for sale, I think every fan of NUFC would like some communication from Ashley. I am at a loss as to why ayone wouldn’t think that was a good idea. This BS about not being interested in what is happening with the club you support has gone too far an needs to be stopped. And one reason you don’t hear from The Glazers, Roman et al is because they aren’t selling the clubs they own!

• TTID

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Selly No Skill
    Coz if you are like me and paid bonds, shares and invest heavily in watching your team perform, you too would want answers from the bloke who owns the club, like Where is my money going, coz it aint on the team!!

For clubs that spend money on their teams see Roman at Chelski, Lerner at Villa, Glazers at Manure. ALL backing their Manager and releasing funds to Strengthen their teams!! If this was happening at NUFC I wouldnt be asking questions of the money men, whose pockets I line!!

Okay?? Simple enough for you??

• TTID

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Selly no Skill must be Spyro or pipes or some ass kisser like that surely??

• Kash

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I’m starting to think that it wouldn’t be the best idea to bring Keegan back to be honest. I really like Steve Bruce, and with the limited resources he has at his clubs, he always knows the type of player to bring in. I’d be happy with Steve Bruce and a decent transfer budget, I think he’s already got a good grounding in the transfer market!!!

• Stevo

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I hope Steve Bruce never ever takes charge of NUFC.

• Kash

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Another suggestion would be David Moyes. Class manager!!!

• Stevo

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Sorry, I PRAY Steve Bruce never takes charge. Every night I will pray. Pray .Pray.

• simon376

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Can’t understand for one second why anybody would want Steve Bruce here. What has he ever done thats been so outstanding???

I know some people dont want Keegan back, but when someone on an earlier post said the best he ever did was finish second and would we want that again? Well myself and I would think the vast majority of fans would be over the moon with a second place finish again. Right now I’m to worried about the “R” word, second place to me is a total dream.

I’m sorry, but people who right now wouldnt be happy with second place next season need to have their heads examined.

• Kash

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I’d love 2nd place, but it’s never gonna happen in the next 5 years, if ever!!!!!

As much as I love Keegan, i’m not sure dwelling on the past is the best route forward to be honest! Sometimes the past can hold you back.

Keegan was a good appointment last season when we were fighting relegation and transfer window was about to shut.

But if we get bought out, then surely thats a boost to the club and players, and even the introduction of a new manager would be a boost in itself to drag us out of relegation!

We need our next manager to lead the team for the next 5 years at least. Someone young enough, but experienced enough to improve us year in year out!!!!

• Ericles

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Whoever buys NUFC one thing is obvious. If they have that sort of money they will still be a million miles from the real world of the ordinary football fan, let alone the Toonarmy. But, that is the way it will be. The link between owners and the players and fans has to be KK.

• simon376

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:19 PM

I agree Kash, 2nd is years away, just what somebody said didnt make sense to me.

I also agree about not living in the past, but I do think we need to be looking at a proven PL manager to get us sorted. I really can’t see anybody I would like and who would be realistic at the moment apart from Keegan. Again its jsut my thoughts here, but Bruce hasn’t done anything outstanding, rather keep Kinnear than him and Moyes to me is an OK manager, done well with Everton, but even their fans or at least some of them want him out now. Dont think he would have us playing the kind of football we enjoy, so that rules Sam out again thankfully.

• sirjasontooon

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Hope this can be sorted soon,I am both bored and anxious.

I hardly ever come on here as there is never anything worth commenting about in the media that is A positive B interesting C Newsworthy

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PS Ganiyu i STILL HATE YOU : )

• Stevo

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:27 PM

I’d rather keep Kinnear that any of the above suggested….Bruce, Keegan, Moyles etc. I reckon with the right backing this fella could take us places. Just because a new owner comes in the bloke shouldn’t be sent packing. He deserves more that that for coming in when the chips were down. Don’t we ever learn that frequently getting rid of managers, has and always will have bad effects on the team.

• Dondatta13

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:31 PM

TTID, comment #6, Spot on mate ….

The Lerner’s, Abramovich’s and Glaziers of this world do what all good chairmen should do and that is let their money do the talking ….

This fat tool we have at the moment doesn’t talk with his money or his mouth he leaves alot to be desired …..

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Oct 14, 2008 at 12:31 PM

selly no skill- chelsea, villa and man u arent exactly in the same situation as us, i doubt their chairmen have much to say! the teams on the pitch do the talking, we’re a complete mess! however, Harris is talking regularly, so its not vital we hear from ashley anymore.

• lesh

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Haven’t received my information pack yet. I’m serious, our lass says so!

Seriously though, the Times has picked this up and yes it looks promising.

But, for cripes sake, I hope the successful bidder thinks hard about who they appoint to manage.

The ideal’d be somebody like Hiddink, somebody who just does the job without a song and dance……. and stays put!!!

• cause I got the girth

Oct 14, 2008 at 1:41 PM

I would disagree with the first comment from kizza who said this is depressing! You took the words out my mouth ed by saying it looks like were in pretty good shape. We all have no idea of the constraints about buying NUFC or even what goes into selling/buying a club so lets not pass comment and sounds like silly sausages, but at least it sounds like the selling is being handled in a professional, assured and measured way, making sure the club gets the person in who the club will get most benefit from!! In the interview he also said he and prospective buyers are aware of the January window to get things sorted and would want to be in around 6 weeks before to get things sorted! So mid November….watch this space!

• sirjasontooon

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Big spender needed as well as a tactical genius that has won something.

The Keegan era is now behind us and I think as a club we need:

New Board and Investment ££££££££
    New managment
    New Structure from youth upwards
    A massive clear out Duke,Duff,Shola,Smith etc
    Loads of spending on both good prospects and finished articles and a few Trophy signings to boost morale.

P.S Ganiyu I hate you.

• geordiejayne

Oct 14, 2008 at 2:58 PM

One reason you don’t hear from the likes of The Glazers, Roman etc is because their Chairman do the talking which is the right way……….but not at NUFC

• Spitfire

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:23 PM

To all those people who have set their minds against coming back : just remember we have been trying to get a decent manger since Robson went. What makes you think that suddenly the likes of Hiddink etc would want to come now? For Gods sake get real! Like him or not Keegan is our best option. He was our best manager by far in terms of achievement. He is the best medium term option we have until the club is truly stabilised. And I say that with all due respect to JFK – after all he is the level of manger we are currently attracting.

• Spitfire

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:24 PM

er thats “Keegan” coming back -typo!

• Len

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM

All the people they have specifically mentioned have denied any intention of buying NUFC. So its China USA what next Lebanon Somalia a consortium of small green men in a flying saucer. MA cant sell at a profit and wont sell at a loss. Stalemate.

• Nick 69

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:06 PM

the reason u dnt hear from abramovich and the glazers is because roman has peter kenyon doin the talkin and the glazers have david gill doin their talking, we have derek lambi-arse who is supposed to do that but hasnt made one single statement since joining

• chuck

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Have you not had enough chaos at the club ?
    I am refering to the self deluded KK fans, want to resurect him again and begin another saga of discontent.
    Just let him go !

• toon mad tom

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:53 PM

never believe the mirror! 🙂

• xisco biscuits

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:56 AM

llambias is a prick, i would take a week off work to punch the smug bastard

• Darryl

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM

Is that what you think when you look at it TMT? Lol

• Ian

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Let us hope the right people get it this time.

As long as the club is well funded, has a reasonable transfer kitty at least to stay in the premiership if not more and employs steady decent managers, KK or others then it will be ok with me.

It would be even better if they loved premiership football and also were fans of the club, but that would probably be asking too much.

• sir les

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:21 AM

bring me in, i’m a hit with the fans and know what they want. sir ferdinand

• dave v

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:24 AM

The main point is Harris is bound to recommend after sifting through various bids.
    1 The best deal for Cashley
    2 The best deal for the club.
    Point 2 means a consortium who can and will invest long term to improve the club.
    If this is correct, l will be pleased.

• chuck

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:43 AM

From the looks of things I think its safe to remove KK from the mashead, does`nt appear he is in demand from those in the bidding.