Habib Beye Ready For Monday Night

Habib Beye is ready for next Monday night’s game with Manchester City, and the player of the season last year will be warmly welcomed back by the Newcastle faithful.

Habib Beye – fit for next Monday

After spending two months sidelined with his painful Achilles heel injury, Beye is now fit to play next Monday evening, and he has been sorely missed by the team.

Habib told the Evening Chronicle today:

“We can still have a respectable season. We won’t go down. We have too much quality” “There are still 31 games left to play and a lot of points and pride at stake.”

“I remember this time last year we made a good start and we were doing well, but after that it turned bad so it shows how it can change.” “We made a good start against Manchester United and Bolton.” “But it becomes harder because of what has happened.”

“If you win two or three games in a row, the season changes very quickly and we have three games out of four coming up at home. What can we do? We can try to win a lot of games and see where it takes us. And then we still have the FA Cup.”

Beye was Newcastle’s best player last season and was in fine form at the end of the season, so it’s a pity he’s been out of action with the Achilles problem.

But Beye is an experienced player, and the former captain of Marseilles is exactly what Newcastle need on the field right now, plus of course his never say die attitude and experience.

The Senegal international continued:

“It’s been a hard time for us all.” “I don’t like to watch in the stands. It’s hard because you want to play every game and you want to help the team. But we have to get behind the new manager.”

“I feel good now and I don’t feel the Achilles problem at all.” “I can now run properly and work with the rest of the team as usual.” “It will be good against Manchester City.”

“It is also good for the manager to have players fit again for him to pick from.” “Now I need to play some games to complete my comeback.”

“This is the first time I have been able to run properly since the summer.” “It has been hard for me before that to play, that’s why I stopped after Arsenal because it was too painful.”

“Now it is safe and I don’t feel a thing.”

Good words from Habib and we look forward to him having a solid game on Monday evening, when with a little luck, we may be able to pinch all 3 points.

• lesh

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Well, that’s another one gettin out of bed!

A RB just can’t do any harm for Monday

• Punk Skunk

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Ho’way Habib!..
    …Nice to know he’s back!..

• Ausgeordie

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Great player. We are lucky to have him in a spot where SO many other teams are weak. More players like him and we would be lucky

• graeme

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:10 PM

The defence are really going to have to be right on top of their game on Monday night as Man Shitty have some superb attacking players.

I really do worry about Taylor though, if he falls asleep, yet again, we could be punished very, very quickly. I would seriously consider leaving him on the bench for Monday night.

• AndrewNUFC

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:20 PM

I agee with that but, Tayls is on good form atm, he scored for England last night i was glad to see. I would be happy with a draw but so far Man City have been poor away from home.

• Spidey

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:55 PM

You are right Graeme, we will have to be on our toes, but that goes for any game because Man City aren’t the team the media have depicted. Robinho is over priced, superb when he fancies it, but I stress the word ‘when’, more often than not, he doesn’t. Hopefully he won’t on Monday. Stay tight on him and we can handle him. Jo, well, I’m unconvinced. I would love to know how many of these people hyping him up have actually watched much of the Russian league, cause I think the hype is based on how much they paid, and the fact he’s Brazilian.

But yes, we need to be sharp so as not to defeat ourselves. If Beye is fit, play him right back, in which case Taylor and Colo in the middle with Bassong left back. If he aint, Taylor right back with Colo and Bassong in the middle, the bull left back.

For midfield I would play Jonas on the right and Duff down the left, with N’Zog and Guthrie in the middle so we have some penetration down the middle.

Owen and yes, Ameobie up front. I know I know, but he looked good when he came on against Everton and I think earned another shot. If he is typical Ameobie after first half, bring on the Xisco.

That’s my team anyway, think it’s the safest start. Tempting to start Duff up front in support of Owen again, but I really don’t think we can risk playing Butt in the middle, it’s costing us too many points!

• Bosck

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM

graeme – i agree, i’d be tempted to go for:

beye – collocini – bassong – enrique

as the back for on monday if all fit. beye and enrique are specialist full backs and though i still think taylor can be a big player collocini and bassong are the most solid option for me at the moment.

• Bosck

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:05 PM

spidey – i know many will think im totally wrong but i’d go for butt and guthrie in the middle with duff and jonas on the wings znd unfortunately drop zogs to the bench for this one.

thats because from what i’ve seen of man city this year, the way to beat them is to bully their midfield/attack. butt, guthrie and jonas can hassle them all day long, while at the same time jonas and duff can add the attacking edge supported by guthrie. can bring on zogs for butt later on in the match but need to hassle the interest out of the fancy dans in the city attack before unleashing zogs once they are disinterested.

• Marty-TOON RISING

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:14 PM

BEYE won`t be 100% ready for monday but he will probably ready to play half a game.
    Taylor will probably start at RB for City game.
    Great to see him back…

• Heavy hitters

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:24 PM

We could give Beye the first 45 mins with Colo and Bassong at CB with Enrique LB then bring Taylor on at RB for the second half but we will have to make sure Taylor gets cover because he gets caught and cannot defend well. Perhaps he still thinks he’s a forward.

• Spidey

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Bosck, last season I would have agreed, but do you not think Butt is too risky these days? Gives away cheap fouls, doesn’t pick up those loose balls like he used to and his all round game just seems a yard slow. We do need the midfield presence I agree, but not sure if Butt gives us that anymore.

Interesting that you would pick Duff ahead of N’Zog on the left too, but I tend to agree, I think he has earned it, although I do think N’Zog is generally a more skilled player.

• Bosck

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:42 PM

spidey i agree with you in general about butt, and i would bring in barton for him next game, but just against city even if butt gives a few fouls away, a few crunching tackles on elano, robinho and jo will take there heads off the game.

as for duff and zogs, i actually think that discussion may be unnecessary anyway as i wouldnt be surprised to see jk go with duff and owen up front again and zogs on the left, meaning duff can drop back and help overrun their midfield even more.

• Spidey

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Good call with Barton, nice to see people giving him a chance. It’s a shame he is not fit for this one, could have used him for the skills you talk about and yes, I would definitely drop Butt for him next game.

Perhaps you are right, may be a bit risky to run N’Zog down the middle for the first time in a while, perhaps not the best time to experiment. So maybe Butt, I just hope he will have the effect you say.

I agree with the duff vs n’zog debate, I was just referring to how you mentioned picking Duff on the left in midfield. But yes, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same line up as Everton, with the exception of Beye at right back and Taylor and Colo centre.

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:56 PM

monday tuesday habib beye…surely has to be belted out at least once against citeh?