Kinnear Happy To Stay At Newcastle For Life

Joe Kinnear seems to like it better and better at Newcastle, as his management stint on Tyneside progresses.

Kinnear with Hughton – forming effective coaching partnership

During Joe’s seven-year management stint at Wimbledon, he was associated with a rugged style of play, not unlike that of Sam Allardyce’s style at Bolton Wanderers.

But the style at Wimbledon was forced on Joe because of limited resources, and no money to spend, and Joe certainly shows no sign of having Newcastle play in that style. Newcastle fans expect Joe will use the skill and creativity that is definitely in the Newcastle squad currently, even though the team has had a number of injuries since the Irishman came on board three weeks ago today.

That skill and fight was shown in the second half of both our previous games, but in both games we went 2-0 down in the first half, before coming back – and we just cannot afford to do that on Monday night against Manchester City.

And just today Kinnear rather surprisingly came out today and said he would be willing to stay at Newcastle United for life, if that was possible. Joe said this afternoon:

“I am happy to stay here for life, for good, if I could,” “I would love to be part of it.”

” It is the biggest club I’ve been in charge of and I’m going to enjoy every part of it and stake a claim for the future.”

Well at least you know exactly what Joe thinks and he is very open in expressing his thoughts and feelings.

Joe Kinnear, in his simple and very direct way, has been a breath of fresh air at Newcastle, and all he needs now is get the club some good results while he remains interim manager, and he can quickly become a folk hero at the club.

It’s a very difficult job he’s taken on – and most fans would say so far so good.

Joe knows he has a short window of opportunity, and has been working his tail off to produce results for the Newcastle United club – and the Newcastle faithful cannot ask more than that.

We’ll see the fruits of these efforts on Monday night – and we are definitely hoping for the very best.

• IrishMan

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:02 PM

A manager for life!!! How about starting with a manager for three or four seasons at St. James!

• Soren

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Three or four seasons at St. James IS a lifetime, well, for a manager at least.
    But hey, its nice to see he is enjoying himself, and I wouldn’t mind giving him a go at it.

• letshavadisco

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:50 PM

joe is doin good? we only drew at everton! he talks good but get it right on the park, that is wot counts. all the best joe, perfect man in the current climate! ashleys advisors still hold the cards.

• JerseyGeordie

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM

wouldn’t it be fitting if the man supposedly keeping the king’s thrown warm, kept the crown for himself and lifted the magpie curse with som luck of the irish.
    with the random unexpected tragedies that follow this club, it wouldn’t surprise me if success also came from a random and unexpected source.
    i like JFK’s attitude and character, but his men have to prove it on the pitch. and we still don’t know how good his eye for talent is, but i, for one, am rootin for him.

• Tom from Aus

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Joe is a good manager and I wouldn’t mind if he stayed for 2-3 seasons. It is good that he is talking to us, it gives an actual idea of whats happening at st James. We’ll have to see what will happen to him when they new owners come in, but so far so good!!!

• reillers

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:47 AM

You know in the movies or on the telly when a character has a line like if I was to die today I’d die a happy man, or I’ve plenty time for that yet, or life can’t get much better then this. .they always seem to follow with impending doom, usually death. LOL!!
    So when or lad Joe says a wee line like..
    It’s like one of THE lines in the films..when you know everythings going to go wrong from here.

• MichaelOWaN

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:27 AM

Talking about greed!

• ginkoh

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:22 AM

If he can continue the job, I don’t see why he should not be part of us for long time.

• Sam Singh

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:28 AM

One good result does not a Manager make! Admittedly the draw at Everton was a good result, with a good performance from the team. If we lose 3-0 against Man City it will al be doom and gloom again.

• Dave Emmerson

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Ive been impressed with Joe so far, at least he keeps the fans informed on whats going on. Lets see what his results are in the next few weeks and what New owners want

• Ericles

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:13 AM

I like Joe and his approach. Even if the new owners appoint another manager (possibly KK) I would like to see JK remain in some role on the club coaching side. He is a refreshing breath of air, is our Uncle Joe, compared with those supposedly running the club upstairs somewhere in London. A win on Monday is what we all need. Think we will get it too, I really do.

• Nobby's Dad

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:36 AM

I’ve got to start by saying this is NOT a wind-up.

I had a call from my neice who works in ‘in the City’. She says a friend of hers has told her the preferred buyer of the club has been chosen and the deal will go through in the next few weeks. It’s (according to her ) a ‘done deal’. Take from this what you will – but it looks promising.

• magpie6699

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:50 AM

Far too early – one good draw and some positive vibes – but (especially for Toon fans, it sometimes seems to me), you’re only as good as your last game. Play well and win on Monday – we’ll have a few of the same loonies on blogs saying “Top 6 – Joe Kinnear to stay for ever”; lose / play badly and we’ll be trying to sack him instantly and are doomed to the Conference!

• ToonEskimo

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:56 AM

I honestly think Ashley has no intention of selling the club and this whole thing was just a ruse to get the fans off his back…….
    IF Kinnear gets a few good results Ashley will probably be back in the ground on Match days…
    as far as Kinnear goes he seems to be saying what the fans want to hear but how people can call him a good manager after one game is beyond me…if he loses 4 in a row what will we be calling him then??
    I wish him all the best though..

• Nick

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:57 AM

It’s one game Ed !!
    You know if we get slaughtered against citeh the knives will be out.

• Lost prophet

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:30 AM

For god’s sake prize your lips off Joes arse for a second and remember he’s yet to win a game! Of course he would stay for life.last month he was on the bloody dole! Now he’s in charge of a premiership club.Get a grip.

• ariel7

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:38 AM

Keegan is one of my heroes and I’m always happy to see him to be our manager again… but if JK does well in the next few games… why don’t we give him the oppotunity to prove his worth.

• Spidey

Oct 18, 2008 at 9:47 AM

Man, some of you guys are hard to please!! Some fans accuse Michael Owen of never speaking with emotion in interviews, so have never trusted him. Some accuse Taylor’s goal celebration a while ago as ‘fake’ passion. And then now, a guy who has fell in love with the club in our most desperate time, and he still gets shit.

I agree with the article, regardless of all the reasons you may spin against this, his enthusiasm has been a breath of fresh air! Yes, no need to get carried away but when a guy talks about my club with this kind of passion and sincerity, I’m all for it. Lets for once just be positive, purely positive! He probably won’t be here for ‘life’, and a lot of people won’t want that. But this statement is about commitment and passion, and right now, we could never have dreamed of getting an interim manager with this much love for the club, it’s impressive.

And if the Everton result is something to go by and it starts really working, then keep him on and for once do something for the good of the club instead of releasing him and bringing in someone new for the sake of reputation and image!

• IrishMan

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Reillers,

I never got a chance to congratulate you on Tyrone’s win last month – well done.

• Toon_Ksk

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I’ll be surprise if he isn’t offered a job elsewhere after his stint at Newcastle. I’ll be happy to keep him as backroom staff, but he is too good for that.

• Ed Harrison

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Lost Prophet – I’m just reporting what Joe said.

• Shot Bru!

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:37 AM

I must admit i have never been a fan of JK, but have warmed to him over the last couple of weeks. I like the us against the world mentality, which is what we need for now. Saying that we’ve only played 1 game and will be interested to see how he gets on over the next few weeks. If he can get the best out of the likes of Ameobi and Barton then he must be doing something right. I actually wonder if it is a wise idea playing Barton next week against the Mackems in a red hot derby atmosphere. I’m not sure he would keep his head, so i guess the challenge for JK is to nurture Barton’s aggression in the right way. Just one more point before i bore the pants off everyone, i have always thought that playing @ SJP is a bit of a monkey around the players necks, whereas it inspires opposing teams, especially mid table sides who seem to thrive on playing in such a big arena. Our players seem really inhibited and are scared to take risks and express themselves.

• lee

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM

he carnt loose can he… he was expected to fail, so any kind of success will be a bonas. ( even to just finnish mid table will be good given what has happened) he has no pressure on him other than , i think just to be a middle man and take the heat away from the london rat pack. BUT he has done much better than i ever expected so wel done joe…. but its still early days lets see how it is after 2/3 month…
    I hope he does well , not just cos im a toon fan but because i think he deserves it..

keep it up joe

• Ganiyu

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Hello harrison

• holy grail

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Nobby’s Dad . . . how the hell does that sound promesing, the prefered buyer has been picked and going through in next few weeks,
    1 – that could be anybody even the nigerians.
    2 – next few weeks can be aslong as you want it to be, and could still be after january
    3 – Seymore pierce may well be choosing the prefered offer but do you really think its the prefered buyer for the fans of NUFC, NOT A CHANCE its the prefered buyed for MA (the one who will pay the most money MA dosent care who it will be, he wants and more importantly at the minut NEEDS MONEY)
    also do you not know that all parties have signed a confedentiality agreement which means they CANT TELL NO ONE, AND ESPECIALLY seymore pierce who it sounds like you “belive ” the info has come from , not being funny but it sounds as true as ant and dec buying NUFC!

• Nobby's Dad

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Holy Grail….believe me my information is 100% correct. I know it sounds like a wind – up but it’s not. My information has not come from Seymore Pierce it’s come from someone inside the company who will handle the sale (ie the law firm). I don’t want to say more…..sure the buyers may have signed a confidentiality agreement but the solicitors haven’t. Things are moving on next week…….and the company do lots of work for Middle East clients and my neice thinks the buyer will be from there. I’m not asking that you believe me because only time will tell.

As to what is best for the club the buyer will always be the one who offers the most, that’s how a free economy works! To me it also follows that the buyer who offers the most has money available and WANTS the club the most.

• ToonEskimo

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:41 PM

hmmmmnnn I wonder if Nobby’s friend will let the cat out of the bag Nobby’s Dad??
    I don’t suppose you are the uncle of Nobby’s cousin who is the son of Nobby’s brother?