Monday’s Game Is One Newcastle Can Win

Monday night’s game will be a vital one for Newcastle and it looks like it will be beamed around the world live on TV.

Oba Martins – we expect him to start on Monday

While we still have Mark Viduka and Alan Smith out injured long term, Martins, Gutierrez and Beye are now back from injury, although we think Monday night may come a little too soon for Gutierrez.

But we should be able to field a strong side which we expect to be as follows:

Given
Beye Coloccini Taylor Bassong
Duff Guthrie Butt N’Zogbia
Xisco Martins
Subs: Harper Cacapa Tozer Geremi Enrique Gonzalez Ameobi

We are assuming Gutierrez will not be risked for this game but will be ready for our next game at the Stadium of Light and Sunderland. We also prefer Bassong at left back to Jose Enrique and more good solid games from Sebastien could have him starting at left back for a string of games.

We also haven’t heard too much from our Uruguayan International Ignacio Gonzalez, and Physioroom.com has him out with Achilles Tendinopathy until 20th October, but some of the other players on Newcastle’s list are actually back – so we’re not sure if Ignacio is available for Monday evening.

If he’s OK he will probably will start on the bench, with Butt and Guthrie in central midfield.

A slight alternative to the above side is Geremi on the right wing and Duff up front in place of Xisco – but it’s good that Kinnear now has some choices to make, and our bench will be a little stronger too.

We prefer Xisco to Ameobi, only because Shola has played poorly almost every time he’s played this season, and we think Xisco is a safer bet for Monday night. It’s getting important for us to start picking up points in the League, and while we are still 3rd bottom, we are only 3 points away from 13th position, so it’s still very early in the season.

Joe Kinnear has had a couple of weeks with the players not on International duty, so it’s almost been like a mini pre-season for Joe, and we’re sure he’s used the time to full advantage.

If Joe can get the win, then his standing with Newcastle fans will immediately rise, and that’s also what Joe wants – so he can get back in the game full time – as manager of some club.

We look for the lads to go all out, and give everything they’ve got in this game, and if we can also approach the form of the last 45 minutes at Everton, we have to be in with a good chance of winning this game, even though Manchester City are a very good side.

But so are we when we have some of our best players back.

Let us know what you think the team should be – comments always very welcome.

• jettson

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:58 PM

ofcourse we can win it!! Ncle on their day and with a full side can beat anyone in this league, its great we now have players coming back, and experienced players too! a god result on Monday will put us in the right state of mind for 3 points at the S of S!!!

• Tom_Toon

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Team v Man City:

Given
    Beye-Coloccini-Bassong-Enrique
    Duff-Guthrie-Butt-N’Zogbia
    Xisco-Martins

However I do not think Martins is fit to play 90 mins so possibly bring him on for the last 45 mins or start him and alter the formation later.

• toonbully

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Dear Ed ,

Re your comments Policy , where you state ‘violently disagree’ I think you should re- phrase it . It suggests that violence could be part of the arguement , when violence is actually a physical action . Try ‘ strongly disgree ‘ just as passionate but without the Violence !

AND yeas we can beat City , but what we need is self belief . You can get into a habit of losing , as well as into the habit of winning , you have to teach yourself the habit again . We have to shore up our defence completely try and play for a few clean sheets and then lets see if any goals go in at the other end ! Its not rocket science its football !

• toonbully

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Tom Toon I don’t think Duff is 100 % either he may be fit , But apparently he run his socks off for Eire mid – week and I will be surprised if we get 90 mins out him also…..

• Shot Bru!

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Agree with Tom Toon’s team, nice balance at the back. Collocini and Bassong read the game well and would compliment each more so than if Taylor was in there. Saying that, i reckon JK will probably pick Taylor and Ameobi. It’s a tough game against a very good team.

• Shearer 9 (JK for permanent manager)

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Guys whatever the team Man City is going down…..

• It Could Be Worse, We Could Be Spurs! (DC)

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Would be nice to see Joe put HIS stamp on the team selection either by playing Colo and Bass together in CD or to use N’Zogbia through the middle but I am afraid he will go with the precedents set by managers before him and (as you say Bru!) go with the same ol’. Shame!

Anyone know if Kazenga is fit for this one? The boy has looked lightening for us every time he gets a look-in.

Wonder if Barton will be fit when his suspension is lifted? Could really do with getting Butt’s tired legs off the field.

• jettson

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Barton back for the mackems, he be first on team sheet i think, what better way to bounce back and give 110% i for one am looking forward to him back in the side, another attacking (football variety) option, whats the betting he gets his 1st goal?

• Ulsterman

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Given Beye Taylor(capt) Coloccini Enrique Gutierrez Guthrie N’zogbia Duff Ameobi Martins . Subs. Harper Bassong Butt Xisco Geremi Gonzalez Tozer. This I feel would be our best and strongest side we have had this season. HOWAY THE LADS

• 51times

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Tom_Toon – Because half-time substitutions happen all the time don’t they.

• Big Dave

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:14 PM

I hope Xisco gets a game as I think him and oba could play well together. but have a funny feeling strola will get a shout. and its nice to see people wanting to see Barton back it dosen’t seem long ago that Joey was getting dogs abuse, and I think he is a real good player for us and is allways up for a game

• cause I got the girth

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:29 PM

i agree about Barton, him and Guthrie will be a good combatative central pairing which will give us some movement, energy and importantly a bit of fight till the final whistle, just what we need right now! Really looking forward to mondays game, will be a really interesting watch!

• Shot Bru!

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM

If Ameobi does play, it ‘ll be interesting to see if JK has instilled a bit of aggression and attitude into his play with the coaching he has been doing with him over the last couple of weeks.

• Tom_Toon

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:33 PM

51times, you must not have heard Joe Kinnear’s interview then you mong.

• I Made 1000

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:55 PM

COME ON MAN NEWCASTLE WIN THIS ONE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• micepie

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM

This sort of news item headline I find extremely irritating

Butt prepares for relegation battle The Times – Sport – Football – Premiership 21:21

I haven’t read the article and I’m more irritated at the newspaper than Butt. Anyway, the whole thing is ridiculous, That sort of thinking is nowhere near positive enough. We’re barely at the point in the season where I personally even bother to look at the league tables!

• beyethegreat

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:04 PM

micepie is this thttp://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4965299.ecehe article you were lucking for

• 51times

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:11 PM

TT – I don’t care what an obese fenian who will be joining Shankly in hell due to a heart attack come Monday has to say. Now take a shower you sweaty spic.

• Tom_Toon

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:14 PM

You are the lowest of the low, now back off to Glassgow.

• 51times

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:15 PM

That’s rich coming from an Iberian.

• Tom_Toon

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:42 PM

You disgust me little hitler.

• TOON LAD

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:54 PM

AARON SPEAR IS AT NEWCASTLE I DIDN’T KNOW THAT HE ACTUALLY CAME.

• The Lighthouse Keeper

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Hi guys Gavin is now on sleep duty, the little creep. He has been harping on about manure and celtic again. It is bad enough being on here, without all that ..anyway. There is wet weather on its way to the N.E. We have it up here and you should get it tomorrow. Prevailing n.e. winds will be the order of the day on Monday. Wind is a great leveller on a football pitch! I will tune into the radio, or try sop cast for the game. I will have that little turd burglar shouting in my ear, saying things about the toon. He may get launched.

• Ausgeordie

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:18 PM

51 times and TT why dont you kiss and make uop. This whole ‘your not as much of a fan as me’ is really gay

• KEEGAN FOR PM

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:29 PM

51 times you DISGUST me with your biggoted attitude, how dare you make that sort of comment i bet your a member of the BNP.PS i’m a former member of the Livingston Flute Band(i saw the light)

• letshavadisco

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:01 AM

dear me!

• Paul

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:14 AM

if ya look at the comments given and harper have been making lately about the management trainin club ect it looks more likely jk with opt with harper…givems bin gyppin him off n harpers bin ncie 2 him..be nice to c harper in if he he can gett he same form as last season…in form he is btter than given imo and facts back it up

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:26 AM

51times-sure i’ve said this before, keep your sectarian b@ll@cks off here please. if you want a cheap argument regarding pathetic overblown issues such as religion in football then take it to a celtic blog.

• Paul

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:42 AM

It’s like the Shankill road here with the Ulstermen and the Fenian wisecracks. Complete feckin’ idiotic bigots.

• 51times

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:44 AM

KK FORVER – People have been killing each other in Ireland for 300 years over football?! My God! My life and the lives of my orange ancestors have been wasted. This is most shocking. My hands are shaking, my gut feels like a stone, is this what remorse…what regret feels like?

Oh no wait, it was just gas, false alarm lads.

2 – 1
    Martins, Xisco | Ireland

• 51times

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:47 AM

KEEGAN FOR PM – I’m sorry to see that you’ve forsaken the cause. I’m not a member of the BNP, I’m an undecided voter. Traditionally I would have went Labour but now I’m considering voting Lib Dem.

• 51times

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Hey wait a minute…Livingston Flute Band? I’ve never heard of Livingston Flute Band.

• micknufc

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:05 AM

hey 51,
    english catholic by birth,non practising,but bairns in the same school hypocrite as charged,but it’s only spitting distance from the hoose.
    but black n white through n through.
    what is your agenda my protestant friend?
    by the way a total socialist in there aswell..
    are’nt we one?

• 51times

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:14 AM

My agenda is…well, nothing really. I just like to wind up people here. But I don’t do it in a mean spirited way really, you guys just take the internet too seriously. We’re all Newcastle fans at the end of the day right? I’m always on your side.

Although the fenian jibe was true. I hope Kinnear dies. I hope every single one of those murdering, oppressing scumbags die a slow, painful death. I swear that on my soul. KEEGAN FOR PM, you have obviously never really known the cause. You may have been put into a fluteband by your family but I don’t think you’ve ever understood what they did to people like you and me. Again, I’m sorry to see you abandon your brethren in Ulster who need your help and all of our protection. It’s not about denying Catholics their rights it’s about saving ours.

That being said, I really am done this time. I’m off for good. I don’t think a few of you really understand what it means to love a football club and a city, I think a lot of you are ashamed to come from the North East. That saddens me, but I’ve seen it enough times to get over it. So adios, and God Save our Queen.

• micknufc

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:42 AM

no not mean spireted,51
    that reply is why most english people barring nazi salauting,retards,dont bother with your politics..you love the toon? well drop the biggoted shit coz proper toon fans have enough on our plates..

• micknufc

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:51 AM

the more i read your text,what an awful person you are!! sorry but ,were not proud to be from the ne..i think every single person be it northumbrian,geordie,mackem,teesider are well proud of where there from,
    but cant be arsed with the shit your peddling my mate..its just not important to us

• Wisdom

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Ed… I thought Ameobi played well when he came on the last game… so did most people. Strange…

Given
    Beye Taylor Colo Bassong
    Geremi Guthrie Zog Duff
    Ameobi Martins

• ginkoh

Oct 18, 2008 at 4:05 AM

It’s possible to win this game but in case We put our heart into game both fans and players.

Passion is the key !

• xfer

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:23 AM

Not the easiest game at home. City has been strong of late, though home advantage might give us some hope.