We Are Short Of Five Players – Kinnear

Joe Kinnear may never be able to put out Newcastle’s best team during his tenure as Newcastle manager, because of all the injuries.

Joe Kinnear – Viduka and Smith long term injuries

Joe talked today about fielding his best side:

“I would love to be in a situation where I could send out my best side but no one is crying about that,”

“We have to get on with the team we have, get behind them and do the best we can irrespective of so many key players missing.”

Mark Viduka, Alan Smith, Ignacio González (all Achilles) and Andy Carroll (ankle) are currently missing from the Newcastle squad with Smith and Viduka long term casualties.

But that’s the way it goes and Joe knows he has to get on with it as he continued:

“I’ve gone into battle like that lots of times at Wimbledon,” “We went to Chelsea, won 4-2 there (in 1996), stuff like that with a lot of young players.”

“Players can surprise you. When you think you are going in with a team not as strong as it should be, you can give them hope and get their confidence up.”

“ Confidence plays a big, big part with players. Anything is possible, I am a complete optimist, always have been.” “This position is nothing new to me,” “I had 10 years at Wimbledon with no money. I bought at the lower end of the scale.

“It is chalk and cheese when you compare Newcastle to those days, although I still managed to produce 14 internationals. They all did well while they were there and went on to bigger clubs – two to Newcastle, (Warren) Barton and (Carl) Cort.”

Warren was a good buy but Carl Cort wasn’t, and Warren Barton is now doing great work over here for the Fox Soccer Channel (Sky) in the USA at weekends and coaching the LA Galaxy Under-18s during the week.

Kinnear doesn’t know how long he will be here in his role as interim manager, but is still planning for the January transfer window, just in case a permanent manager has not been installed by then. It would be interesting to find out if he is in communication with Dennis Wise about this.

We understand if Ashley is still in charge come January, which would not be good, he will spend no money in the transfer market, and the small squad will have to continue to struggle though the season.

The goal obviously is to get the new owners installed before then, so some money is available, but who will be the new permanent manager is anybody’s guess right now.

Joe continued:

“I would say we need five players. We are starting for the first time since I’ve been here to analyze and make a list of areas we need to improve.”

“It’s been a very bright week after the Everton result . I’m disappointed with the goals we conceded but the overall performance at Everton was very pleasing.”

We make no apologies for supporting Joe Kinnear at this time, just as we would any other manager in charge of the club. We want Newcastle to become successful again, and we’d be happy whoever the manager is, who can bring us back some success.

• kam

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Don’t you mean newcastle manager

• john tudor

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM

what about the frees

• Ed Harrison

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Kam – yes – I must have captain on the brain – changed it – thanks!

• Leo

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM

exactly we should really be looking at frees but not old scankly past it frees like ronaldo.

but people who really have something to prove like s.appiah

there would be alot less pressure on them to suceed so it is all good

• Clevblue

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Good article, best of luck monday and for the season. I hope Kinnear works out for you

• JARRA LAD who is hurt

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:40 AM

i hate mike ashley he distroyed us to bits , the mackems are far better and stonger than us

• figsdad

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:52 AM

the mackems are far better and stonger than us

no they not and they just above us..

• graeme

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:14 AM

How he includes Viduka and Smith when talking about our strongest team beats me though!!!

Viduka as always out injured, Smith hasnt scored for so long I doubt he remembers where the goal is located.

• Ageordiedoonsooth

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:26 AM

He says we need 5 players, isn’t that what Keegan said in the summer. By my reckoning that means we need to spend £20m – £30m at least, which we won’t do unless Ashley has sold the club. I hope he has but I wouldn’t hold my breath

• Alex

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM

The big worry is , if Ashley is still here in January not only will he not buy but which players will leave . If offers come in for our best players he will sell and line his pockets with the transfer money , leaving us with no team .

• Budgie

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I agree fully with Ageordiedoonsooth, it has since been said that we need a left full back, so much so we even considered Steven Carr! Everything that was being said 2 or 3 days before the end of the transfer window are surfacing again. Whether he’s your choice or not, Kevin Keegan at least said that we needed these players. It all went wrong at that point,and it takes an outsider to come in confirm what everyone already knew.

• Lokes

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Ops!
    I almost forgot i are having Gonlalez!

• Lokes

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:04 PM

Ops!
    I almost forgot we are having Gonlalez!

• Chris G

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:26 PM

graeme – I agree, and I doubt whether any of the other players mentioned would be automatic first choices for the team either.

Obviously the injury to Michael Owen is a big blow, but on the plus side it looks like Habib Beye and Oba Martins are just about ready to return to the squad. I think he’s making a bit too much of this injury problem – Joe will still have most of his best players available when he selects his team against Man City.

• cause I got the girth

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:08 PM

“Warren (Barton) was a good buy” Ed, you going senile or just forgetful? He played one full season and was dropped in his second…..for being so bad!!
    Here’s a shout for ya, JFK’s passion and desire are the things that people are warming to at the minute, how about a job with the kids, think he could get so much out of kids with his attitude and experience!

• Chris G

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Lokes – who are you, and who is ‘Gonlalez!’?

What is your point, exactly? Or to put it another way, what is the point of you?

• JJ

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Ed, I dont think Barton was such a bad buy either, but dont want Kinnear full time.
    Houllier for me please, he has done great at Lyon.