Kinnear Wants Newcastle Job As Long As Possible

Interim Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear confirmed tonight he is hoping to keep the Newcastle manager’s job for just as long as he can.

Joe Kinnear – got memorable performance tonight from his players

This followed a monumental display of courage by his Newcastle side tonight, who were dubiously reduced to 10 men by referee Rob Styles, after sending Beye off after 14 minutes and awarding Manchester City a penalty, which Robinho easily scored from.

But Newcastle fought back and after 63 minutes took the lead after Ameobi scored just before half time, and then Richard Dunne put through his own goal after 18 minutes of the second half.

After the game Kinnear told Setanta Sports:

“It’s up to the people that come and buy it but of course I do (want to stay).” “I’d like to hang onto it for as long as possible. It’s probably the best club I’ve worked at and I want to make the most of it.”

“It was a fantastic performance from 10 men,” “I couldn’t ask for more. We were totally committed, played some decent football and created more of the clear-cut chances.”

“I thought we’d just about hold on but there were a lot of tired legs. The good thing was we didn’t get beaten and we’ve come out of it with a lot of credit and a point.”

This is probably the best squad Joe has ever managed in his management career, and Kevin Keegan found out there’s a lot of quality in the squad when players are fit – even though the squad is too small. If Joe can continue getting performances out of the lads like tonight, the new owners may well decide to give Joe the job through the end of the season, and see how he does.

That will give just a little stability to Newcastle United after 4 managers in the last 17 months.

What do you think?

• Tom4Nufc

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:38 PM

I say keep him if the results keep coming in, we just have to be careful if we keep him what he is like on the wheeling and dealing in the transfer market, but of course this is all hypothetical as he probably wont keep the job anyway, but till he leaves I say continue to back him!

• sweendog

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:42 PM

we were shocking the first 10 mins and then after styles trying to single handedly ruin the game .. butt, duff, ameobi, collocini and martins played excellent and got us nearly winning it .. well done .. just get the early goal this weekend and the games as good as ours with that spirit.. mind you what about givens save just before irelands goal .. pure class.

• sweendog

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:44 PM

as for kinnear good game .. he’s got the team playing as a team .. tactically we need to improve though but if ameobi plays like that with Owen making the runs we’ll do really well.. never mind a fully fit martins back and the spiderman

• micknufc

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:45 PM

not long been back in from the match,youve got to say the players are’nt feeling sorry for themselves anymore ,they grafted for each other tonight.. kinnear has had a definate positive impact

• micknufc

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:48 PM

we need plenty of that spirit at the sos on saturday sweendog,coz the mackems fancy it .
    but if we knuckle down like tonight,we’ll get something there no doubt.

• sweendog

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:49 PM

micknufc .. top stuff seeing the team trying hard .. reminds me of keegans teams players who want to run their socks off and support each other .. kinnears definately had a good impact .. I just worry if either we’re really light in attack or our formation just isn’t right .. but give it time .. this weekend should be good.. 2-0 to the toon on this performance

• micknufc

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:53 PM

aye let’s hope so mate!
    it’s gonna be a right battle down there on saturday,keane will have them up for it no doubt,but with our returning players i think we have far more quality than them.

• Brazilian Geordie

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:54 PM

He’s absolutely right and gets my support.

As I said, even if it would be for the return of The King Kev, I really think it would be a bit unfair don’t let Joe Kinnear take this chance and give him time and stability to work.

Just look… this man take over a Newcastle in absolutely turmoil, had to swear the journalists, and fight to stop all this mess which was made with his appointment. And more, every single interview, the gread JK just tried to appoint good things that would make his players more confidends. He has done until now a tremendous job.

And I think, as the season is going to be more and more dificult to Newcastle qualify to Europe, why don’t give this man a chance? Just why? To get another manager that will bring more instability? Oh no, that’s not the solution at all…

• micknufc

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:59 PM

well brazil,i said to my mate when joe came in,well you never know out of adversety we might have nailed a proper manager.. it was halt tongue in cheek mind…but hey weve tried all the other ways maybe this time it works eh

• Nobby'sDad

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Just got in – great game, crowd was up for it and the players showed some passion at last. Hats off to Joe – the guy didn’t have to come and plenty turned us down. For this fact alone I’m 100% behind him.

Now for the unwashed !!
    Oh and IMO Collocini was MOTM – great performance tonight by him and the rest weren’t far behind.

• Soren

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Again like in the other thread I must agree with Brazilian Geordie! Give Kinnear the chance to manage Newcastle now, and a sudden reappointment of KK would be unfair to him.
    JK has my full support!
    TOON TOON BLACK WHITE ARMY!!!!

• Tom_Toon

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:33 AM

• Hilly

Oct 21, 2008 at 12:44 AM

I think he’s much better tactically than Keegan and he seems to get the lads up for the game. Seeing their response to going down to 10 men gave me pride and hope. In September, we would’ve lost 5-0.

However, I agree with Tom4NUFC, it will make or break him if he gets an opportunity to deal in the transfer market. If he does, I think his hands will be tied and his scouting support will be sparse. If he can pull out a couple good signings in the winter window, it would be a huge coup and speak volumes for him as a complete manager.

• ToonNorway

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Get rid of this useless manager ASAP. He does add fighting spirit, and that’s all he has to offer.
    Perfect for lower league teams.

Here’s my list of why:
    1. He dont know anything about tactics.
    2. His fitness regime is …to take the day off. (Same as in Wimbledon).
    3. This job is simply too big for him.
    4. He’s rantling mad 🙂
    5. No big signing will come and play for JK.

Can we please get a manager that know football?

• michael

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:46 AM

The only way Joe will be in charge in a month’s time is if he wins four on the bounce. He’s mad and let’s face it we all love that about him, but the Wimbletoon fad is exactly that. One swallow doesn’t make a summer.
    I have horrible memories of Roeder’s mistreatment. To my mind he wasn’t given a fair crack of the whip and JFK (Joe F*cking Kinnear) will be no different.

• MichaelOWaN

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:05 AM

Its obvious that he has done a great job since he took over the club, but that doesnt mean he should be given a full time job now just because he has managed to get 2 decent results. Its too early to judge him I think, though the early signs are good. But I dont think we should stick with him irregardless of whether he will do well or not in the remaining games, that was the same mentality that we had when Roeder became the manager. We need a world class manager if we are going to win anything.

I just hope that Kinnear will try and focus on the job at hand instead on focusing on the future.

• Gordon

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:45 AM

Dear God please NOOOOOOOOOO!

Can you imagine him getting his own style of long ball giant players in… 11 Sholas… it’ll be worse than Fat Sam.

Two draws and wow, how easily we’re won over…

• IndiaMag

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:09 AM

I don’t think its the draws gordon but the sheer passion at which our lads are playing now, and imagine the team when spidey, barton and owen are back.. Can’t wait!! I used to wait for the crisis to get over, I seem to have forgotten that and just can’t wait to see us play again!! Loved the fightback last night!

• Archie Brand

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:49 AM

I have to say what a great team effort it was but watching the match last night just confirmed my suspicions that Collocini is as big a liability as Bramble was.

When the ball comes in on set pieces he’s hopeless. Never beats anyone to the ball and most of the time he just appears lost.

Good old “Two Touch” Ameobi made my night.
    You dont often get to see comedy like that.

Good result. My man Of The Match was Duff. looking sharp.

• Canada Willie

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:55 AM

I think Ashley knew that he can not sell the club at the price he wants. He therefore has to keep it.

The only person that would take the job on a temporary basis is Wises friend Joe Kinnear who comes out of ten years of enforced retirement. He gets 2 draws and everyone thinks he is the new messiah. The man does not have the experience to manage a club of this size in the modern era. Look at the successful managers, none of them have managed in the Wimbledon style

This is a great PR exercise by Ashley to keep the club and to retain the only manager who applied for the job. I am surprised that the Newcastle fans are even thinking of keeping a manager who invented kick and run tactics which is the opposite of the Keegan and Bobby Robson methods

From what I’ve seen of the games Kinnear has managed Newcastle were lucky to have 2 draws. Boot it up to Ameobi and hope for a miracle seems to be his method. This is not for me but if the fans are stupid enough to vote for him I cannot see us in the Premiership for long.

As long as Kinnear has some success Ashley will keep the club, he has no incentive to sell

• BenjiToon

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Canada Willie – err, no! We did not just boot it up to Shola. We played on the ground in spells in both games and FULLY deserved our draws. Last night we could have won the game actually.

I am applauding Kinnear. I was not keen on his appointment, although I was glad someone wanted to take us on and he was the only one with the balls to do it. Do I think he should be our long term manager? No. Do I thik he will be? No, but he might be here most of this season.

Am I going to criticise someone who has had the guts to defend the club to the press? Someone who has been honest (perhaps a bit too much, anyone see him being told not to answer questions by the clubs press people last night)? Someone who has got Shola playing and playing well? Someone who has got the players talking and fighting for each other?

No am I bloody well not going to slag that man off. Neither should you. Give him his credit and hope we stuff the Mackems.

• lesh

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:41 AM

But Gordon // Oct 21, 2008 at 4:45,…….. just two draws more than we’ve had of late?

Give the bloke a break, he seems to have lifted the players and let’s hope there’s more to come.

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Gordon-obviously the points on the board are a factor but i think its more the mannor of the results that everyone is happy with.
    Twice we have went down early, to penalties, once with ten men. but we’ve dug our heels in, stuck together, came back and given the fans performances to be proud of! you cant fault him for that.
    I really think he’ll have the lads reilled up for the mackems on saturday, he seems the type of guy who will understand how big a game it is for us.

• Ericles

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Let’s go with Joe. First time in the dug out and he got us going. The game was ours for 2-1 as it should have been. When is Styles going to get some new glasses – he consistently makes mistakes of a dubious nature.

• neeraj

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:16 AM

i would give joe this season i would be pointless to give a new manager a run in dec or jan when the new owners are in…..

and half an yr contract would be a challenge for kinnear to make it long term….

and i hope he achieves it….

people say he hasnt won anything has not managed any big clubs i would be happy if he brings back the stability into the club

and one thing i like abt him he is backing the players on low confidence coz its easy to turn your backs on them but he is giving them a challenge a run in the park…..

come on joe

• Tom_Toon

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM

Archie – you were obviously watching he wrong game. Coloccini was immense yesterday.

• vic

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:13 AM

I think we should keep JFK as an interim Manager as long as new owner will take over.
    Look on lads – they are much more happy and confident now. Kinnear has good personality and looks like he is able to turn things around.
    The biggest problem is still MA. As long as he is the owner the less chance to attract any Great manager and obviously no one player will join NUFC in this situation with uncertain future. Ashly and jokind Board must go first.
    Kinnear? We must support him because he is doing great job at present

• KK FOREVER (Ross)

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Archie-coloccini was excellent. if the ball is in no mans land he’ll come forward and attack it rather than waiting for an opposing shirt to get their hands on it and come back at him.
    looks calm in possession and can play a pass, thought he was one of the best on the field

• Brazilian Geordie

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:49 PM

I’m really not judging JK for his job until now. Cause hey, two draws are nothing for you to say – ”Yes, he’s the best manager of the world”. Absolutely nothing. My point is that Joe changed the players’ atittude, gave confidence to them and mainly because he made the lads put their hearts in the game. The real change of atittude was fantastic in my point of view. And I can assure you, even if we had lost yesterday I’d say the same thing today.

And I think two results are too little things to judge someone, but the way the lads played for the team – as a team – was absolutely notable and terrific. Credits to them, but also to Joe Kinnear.

Oh, I just would like to say for those who criticize JK that as well as we could easily won that games – as you use to say – IMO we also could indeed lose it. Especially tonigh, when he made a tremendous job in the dressroom.