Joey Barton’s Last Chance – It Will Not Be Easy

Joey Barton – we hope he can control his demons

And he told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle today in their exclusive interview:

“Because of my past misdemeanors, it has been tough for me.” “The season starts here for me and hopefully it is a case of onwards and upwards.”“It’s the first game I have played really. It is a starting point, but I have trained hard.” “The aim is to turn in performances for the fans. I want to do it for everybody connected with the club.”

“Players, fans and staff, everybody I have let down in the past.” “I want to go on to start paying back my transfer fee, which I don’t think I did at any stage last year.” “It’s just nice to be back playing again.” “I haven’t played for that long in a game for six months.” “The last time I played 90 minutes was against Chelsea at St James’ Park.”

“That was the second-last game of last season, so it has been a while.” “I expect it to take four or five games before I am fully up and running and back where I want to be.”

“I feel better than I did when I came back last season, so if that is a pointer to go by, hopefully I can start on a higher level than last time.” “Last time it took me a while to get going. But I already feel better this time.”

The only thing Joey should be doing now is putting his head down, training hard, and concentrating on his football career.

And when and if he does go back to Liverpool, he must continually guard against letting himself be in any altercations whatsoever, and he mustn’t allow himself to get in any more ridiculous situations, otherwise his career could be over in an instant.

We do hope and trust Joey is continuing to get help with his anger and violent side, because he needs it.

We hope Joey can write a successful comeback in football and in life, but it’s not going to be easy for him, given what he’s done in the past.

But the Newvcastle fans have shown again and again they are willing to forgive any player who can get his life back together and give everything for the Newcastle cause.

We hope Joey will give them a chance to welcome him back to a successful career at Newcastle United, who have stood by him, when many clubs would have long since ditched him by now.

He owes our club, Newcastle United big time, and he knows it.

• Tom4Nufc

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Future Captain I reckon, if and its a big ‘If’ he can keep it together and act as a professional.

• Mark-O

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Spot on article Ed. The lad is in last chance saloon and he deserves it too. Good player great attitude on the pitch but its a big test now for him off it and in training.

Good luck to him, just dont let us down!!!

Hope he’ll play a part in thrashing makem ass’s on Sat.
    5-0 to the toon

• Irish John

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:21 PM

IMO best centre mid we have…i just hope Kinnear has the guts to drop Butt and play Joey and Guthrie in the centre…Think they would make a great pairing…Butt gives the ball away to much,although he’s passing has been slightly better this year…

• Ganiyu

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:27 PM

All he needs is jesus to get rid of the demons

• graeme

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:33 PM

He has proved beyond all doubt that football in general and NUFC in particular, have absolutely no morals, no scruples.

It doesnt matter what these thugs do or say, the only thing that matters is the money. We have sold our soul for his transfer value.

• Ausgeordie

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:35 PM

………………..Given
    Beye….Tayls…..Collo….Bassong
    Barton……Butt….Guthrie….Duff
    ……….Ameobi…..Martins

I dont want butt but i think he is more likely to keep his place than geremi

• ObaFan2

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Didn’t he come on against Arsenal?

• graeme

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:45 PM

Cant see the problem with Geremi. He was Mr cosistancy as usual. He hit the first defender with EVERY corner he took and hit the ball higher over the bar than anyone else.

He’s past it, lets be honest, but who else is Joe going to play??? It seems that just like Smith, if Geremi is fit, he plays. Bewildering really.

• Irish John

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:51 PM

In fairness to Geremi on monday, He actualy looked quite good..played some really dangerous balls over the top and looked one off best players on the night…Very surprising as he’s usualy crap..

• Whumpie

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I agree with Graeme, but what’s happened has happened, football has stamped its credentials as a crooks’ and yobs’ sport, and now I’m just hoping to be proven wrong by Joey.

As for staying out of trouble: not driving 150 miles and getting drunk until 3am and eating junk food during season would be a good start towards that! The guy is clueless and has spent much of his life out looking for aggro. He should have been fired just for getting off his head during season – let alone piling into some other idiot.

BUT, rightly or wrongly, he’s got this chance and I hope he can take it. He’s going to need more self-control than I’ll ever have come Saturday, as the Mackems will be under orders to get him sent off, gits that they are. Can he walk away instead of rising to it? I doubt it.

• It Could Be Worse, We Could Be Spurs! (DC)

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM

We really have build up the expectation for a Guthrie and Barton pairing. I do believe that these two could compliment each other wonderfully but let’s be patient with them…good things to come.

• Marty-TOON RISING

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:11 PM

Pay back time JOEY-get the finger out and show us how good a football player you are.
    He is up there with Gerard i reckon if he can keep it straight.Great energy,passing and attacking player

• Toon Chicken

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:42 PM

“Joey Barton will probably appear for the first time for Newcastle United this season on Saturday, which will be his last chance in football.”

Are we pretending that his attempted assault on Nasri at The Emirates didn’t happen then?

• Bill F

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:46 PM

It would probably be a good idea to stop using the expression “the last chance”. Cos if you use it with reference to Toon players it becomes meaningless. One of out players has been in and out of those swinging doors so many times in that saloon that I hear they have changed them to revolving doors. I wouldn’t bet against him using them again either, although I would love to see him on the stairway to success instead. You all know who I mean. 🙂

• Bill F

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Oops another typo, the first out in the third line should read our.

• SpartanChris

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Hardly his last chance in football. Even if he gets sent off at the stadium of light for chinning El Haj Diouff, he’ll still get another chance either here or some other club.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM

Let’s get behind the lad & give him a bit of time to get back into the swing of things, it’s been a while for him…

…Ho’way Joey, you can be a great player for us…Don’t let us down man!..

• Bill F

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Ganiyu, haven’t you heard that there is no god, therefore Jesus was just another bloke (I am quoting Richard Dawkings here). Joey should just get on with his life and not keep being a dick (thats not a swear word is it).

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM

I am with Punk (17) lets get behind the lad !!

Lets be positive and save all the negative sh*te for others. We need to stand united – NEWCASTLE UNITED !!!!!!

• Punk Skunk

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Totally Born again,
    most of his outbursts have, after all, been when he played for a.n.other team…

…JK could well be the guy to help Joey sort his self out!?!..
    …I’m sure he’s had a few wayward lads play for him before now?..

• LP_6

Oct 23, 2008 at 7:46 AM

toon chicken, your a prat! he went for the ball against nasri! Its defo his last chance at newcastle, but in football i doubt it, theres always a team who would want him!

And as for the slating of Geremi, i’ve never been a fan however some of his balls down line to duff on monday were great! and if jonas is fit and beye’s red is recinded i’d play with beye right back duff right mid and jonas on left on sat. If kinnear is confident of bartons fitness i’d drop butt and play him with guthrie. i’ve got a really high opinion of barton as a player and just hope he can keep his demons at bay!