Joey Barton’s Actions Must Speak For Him

Joey Barton has been giving a lot of interviews before his comeback from the 6 match suspension he received from the FA.

Joey Barton – actions will determine if he has long term football career

Joey talked today about his troubles:

“I have made mistakes,” “I’ve probably made a lot more mistakes than other people.” “If you don’t make mistakes, then you don’t give other people the opportunity to throw stones. But all I would say is that, hopefully, I’ve learned from my mistakes.”

“I am trying to put things right and get my football career and my life back on track.” “I deserve every bit of criticism that has been leveled at me,” “I can’t stand here and try to defend myself because I am indefensible.”

“I am the first to acknowledge that – I am indefensible – but all I can do in the future is to try to put right what I have done wrong.”

That altercation in the Liverpool city center, on December 27th, which of course was all caught on CCTV cameras, is the last time Joey had any alcohol, and we hope he can stay off it, because it does nothing for him.

Barton has attended a series of courses designed to help him stay off booze and he continued:

“There are bits of me that I don’t want to be,” “And the majority of those things come out when I am drinking. It’s well documented that I have had problems with alcohol in the past, and the thing I went to jail for was alcohol related.”

“I am not using that as an excuse because it was my own stupidity, but alcohol does something to you that makes you do things you would not necessarily do when you are sober.”

“It will be leveled at me that I had a fight with Ousmane when I was sober, and I understand that. But I know that if I drink again, I am putting my football career in jeopardy.”

“I have to put everyone that has believed in me first, and that is why I will not drink again. I have not had a drink for ten months, and I feel better instantly.”

As well as working with the Sporting Chance clinic to sever his dependency on alcohol, Barton has also been delivering talks and seminars to youngsters who are experiencing troubles in their own lives.

He intends to extend these initiatives in the future, and is keen to use his own experiences as a warning of what can go wrong.

“Prison wasn’t a nice experience, but hopefully people will see the stupid mistakes I have made and think to themselves that they won’t make as many mistakes as I have,” said Barton.

“You can’t make everyone happy and I’ve probably made a lot more people unhappy than a normal person.”

Joey’s saying all the right things, but he was also saying similar things last summer when he joined the club, under Sam Allardyce. It’s not his words that are important now, although they do illustrate he’s trying and seems determined.

But it will be his actions that will determine whether he has a long term future in football – just like his actions have landed him in hot water too many times these last few years.

• simon376

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I was never happy about him joining us. I think he has had more chances than most and wouldn’t be sorry to see him go. But on the other hand, if he can sort himself out and maybe this was the push he needed, let’s just hope he can act like Tony Adams, be a changed man, help himself and others too. Hopefully that will be the case. Lets see how the lad does and acts and just hope he has sorted himself out.

• MichaelOWaN

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:14 PM

I dont think he would still be here if it wasnt for Keegan but then again Keegan had left and Barton is still with us, so we might have just use him. We are short on numbers anyway.

• Wallsend Will

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:17 PM

I believe in Joey Barton as a footballer! From now on he will deliver, I honestly think that his best football is yet to come. Let the opposition boo as much as they want. He will be cool and take it. I just hope referees and other footballers give him a fair chance. My worry is that they won’t?

• batty

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM

joey will end up our player ov the season

• rooks

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:36 PM

as long as Saturday’s not just about Joey eh Ed

• Punk Skunk

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Really nice to hear JB talkin’ in a calm, self-effacing way…Just maybe, the lad has woke up to reality & has realized that he has had excellent support from everyone here(NUFC)…
    …I feel he’s grown up a lot recently & knows what a great chance he has to turn his life around!..
    …Go Joey!..

…Mr. Keegan, Mr. Kinnear…Excellent… 😀

• Stamford Toon

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Hope he makes it but it will be a long hard battle, and that’s jut with the alcohol. He also has temper, reputation and those thrying to goad him to put up with.

• Nick

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:09 PM

I don’t understand why Barton goes on about him being the underdog and under pressure.

No one has made him this mythical underdog, he’s paranoid. The only pressure he is under is all of his own doing and imagination.

He wasn’t drunk when he beat up Dabo. I don’t know why KK risked his job over Barton. It’s not like he’s a Gerrard or fabregas.

Having said that, if he helps us out of the current predicament and doesn’t get easily wound up (which won’t be easy) then I hope his words of redemption aren’t as hollow as we’ve all heard before.

• cause I got the girth

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:11 PM

good shout batty, was saying something similar today at work, i think he will become a very important player for us coming up to christmas when it get busy. Lets hope he sticks to writting the headlines because of his football becasue he is a very good player, no doubt!

• Canada Willie

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Joe Kinnear thinks Barton is a sensible lad underneath. Underneath what?

The lad is a thug, a goon and a disruptive influence on the team. What team mates in their right mind would want to say something to him knowing you are likely to end up in hospital with broken ribs, no teeth or a cigar in your eye.

The lad has no sense whatsoever and would still be in jail if he were not a footballer. Worse still I think Joe Kinnear really wants him on the team and not just because we don’t have the numbers.

Joe Kinnear wants to take us back to his long ball Wimbledon days with Barton as the new Vinnie Jones. I wont be watching Newcastle if that happens. They are both dynasaurs in my opinion as I dont believe either of them can adapt to the modern game.

• Nick

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:38 AM

Canada Willie

Spot on. But in Kinner’s defence we have actually played some decent football . I hated that long ball Wimbledon rubbish and maybe joe knows after Allardyce we won’t stand for it.

Only plus point for barton is maybe if he replaces Butt.

Having said that i do think players won’t come here because of barton and some families won’t watch because of barton.