Kinnear Has Private Talk With Joey Barton

Joe Kinnear will probably start Joey Barton on the bench for tomorrow’s massive game at Sunderland.

Joey Barton – ready for his comeback at Sunderland

It appears that Joey is itching to get back in to the action and we heard today that Nicky Butt may be doubtful with a hip injury, and if Nicky fails a fitness test, then Joey will be drafted in to start the game.

Earlier this week Joe sat down with Joey for a private one on one talk, no doubt about what he has to do when he returns to the fold, but Joey’s subsequent actions will tell us whether he has a long term future in football.

But there’s no doubt on the football side of things Joe has every confidence in Joey, as he told the Newcastle Journal today:

“I have the utmost confidence in Joey Barton. In fact, my only concern is football-related and to see in training over the next couple of days and see just what effect his workout for the reserves against Middlesbrough on Tuesday night has had on him.”

“We are aware of what has happened to Joey and we are not trying to hide his past. But he has to focus on his future, and the way back for him is to do well on the field, starting at Sunderland.”

We expect to see Joey join the action at some time during the game, and we fully expect a loud series of boos from the Sunderland fans, and that’s the least Joey will be expecting.

We need 3 points tomorrow, and it will need a massive performance from the lads to achieve that – here’s hoping.

• ToonKing

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:06 AM

100 % fully behind Barton, come on Joey !!!

• DanToon

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:17 AM

What a game for him come back!!

• The Jones

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Kinnear is a no bullshit talking coach. He see’s the game in a way that a level headed coach should see the game. We are not a team that will challenge for a title, we are a team that must fight to remain in the league this year, and therefore we need a coach that is willing to fight for everything the club stands for. And he is the one for the job. The god-like-praise of Keegan needs to be forgotten and we need to get behind Kinnear and club alike. Personally I would be more than happy to see him stay on through the year, since his arrival we have had far less off field controversy, far better heart when playing and look like a team that could just grind it out and continually improve over the course of the season. If I were Joey Barton and had half a brain remaining in my skull, I would have seriously taken on board what Kinnear said in the personal ‘sit down chat’. And hoping that he does, I have full faith in both of them.

New 2 – 1 Sun. And nothing but solid performances (I didn’t say results) under Joe.

With 11 men on the field.

• lesh

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Must say, given the probability of a white-hot atmosphere at the SoL plus the liklihood of Barton provocation and baiting from the Sunderland players and crowd, I’d be inclined to keep JB on the bench and use him later in the game.

Why? Simple really, we don’t yet know whether he’s strong enough to resist the on-field provocation and the taunts he’ll more than likely get.

I honesltly think he needs to be given the opprotunity to show he’s over whatever’s gone by. But, I also think Joey needs to prove his inner strength and hs the powers to resist provocation before running the risk of playing him in such an important game and seeing him getting a red or worse, and the side being reduced to 10 men!

We need the points Joe but you’re the gaffer and will surely understand the implications of playing Joey B in this game.

• Jeff

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I hope joey could be in the starting line-up as defensive midfielder in long term, to replace sluggish nicky

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Start with Barton !

Why do I say this ?

It is the perfect reverse psycology. The scum will try and bate him and he keeps a level head mackems down to 10 men and we crush them. They will want the dog wan*ers head on a silver platter befor final whistle !!!

ha ha ha ha (that is my evil laugh) 🙂

• Chris G

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:14 AM

The Jones – good points there, but it sounds like he is finally beginning to get his act together –

“I’m disappointed at myself for the way I reacted, but there are lessons to be learnt and if I don’t learn those lessons, my career will be over.”

• JJ

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Apparently it went like this:

Kinnear: Are you Joey Barton?
    Barton: Yes
    Kinnear: I hear you’re a C#unt!
    Barton: Thankyou.

No Im kidding. I love you Joey, those chavs you beat up had it coming – in fact it should be law to f#ck them up… Put some respect back in the UK culture… rid the stupid protection laws.
    If a “lighty” spoke down to an adult here in South Africa, he’d get the living sh!t kicked out out of him…
    They need to learn some respect!
    Rant over…

• joe

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM

joey barton isnt a defensive midfielder

• p

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:25 AM

lol @ JJ…

best ‘rant’ on here for a while!

😉