Kinnear – Red Card Victory For Common Sense

Joe Kinnear, who has been remarkably cool and balanced about Beye’s sending off last Monday night, said the rescinding of the red card by the FA was a victory for common sense.

Joe Kinnear – fantastic news

TV replays clearly showed Beye had won the ball and referee Rob Styles had also told Kinnear after the game, he would have another look at the film

Joe told the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“That is one problem out of the way,” “That is fantastic news. I would have thought that it is a victory for common sense. That is what I said to the referee. I did not lose my head with him.”

“I said you will be surprised when you see the replay of it. I thought at the time that he was in a horrible position to call it as he did. Freeze the frame and he has two players in his view and he is craning his head around to see from behind.”

Beye was making his come-back from an Achilles injury, and as expected was delighted with the news, because he will now line up to play in Newcastle’s biggest game of the season.

Beye said today:

“I’m glad I can play against Sunderland because you enjoy playing in derbies – games like this are why you are a footballer. I’m very happy because I think it was a bad decision. But I can understand because he (Styles) is human and when you are human you can make mistakes.”

“I got the ball and I could not believe it when he gave the penalty and the red card because I was sure I got the ball. You know as a defender when you have got the tackle. When I made this tackle I was 100% confident I could get the ball.”

The club has handled this sending off in a really professional way, and we gave been impressed the way Kinnear has played down the significance of the error from referee Styles.

But the bottom line is that we were punished for the mistake against Man City – but that’s it, we’ll not be without Beye for the Sunderland game, and the FA have done the right thing, in correcting the error.   Good for them.

• BILLY - B

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:50 AM

It still cost us two valuable points. Anyone got any info on Kuwait group there was a mention on sky sports news this morning

• ToonKing

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Beye…….on of Big Sam’s good points.

• The Jones

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Everybody watch Beye play out of his skin in this Derby. He’s a passionate player, and if he remains smart he can be a massive part in taking three points from Sunderland.

• Born Again Geordie

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Our climb up the table starts tomorrow !!!

Ho’way the lads – lets crush the mackem scum !!!

• Ganiyu

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Does the sun shine in the stadium of darkness

• Spidey

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:24 PM

I agree with Kinnear. Personally thought it was a world class tackle, one which demnaded great skill and technical ability. If the red card had stood, it would have been a very worrying sign for the future of the sports physicality.

I am glad it’s been overturned, but the bottom line is indeed that it cost is valuable points. The FA need to do more than just rescind the card, they need to have a hard look at that level of refereeing in football, and start making preparations for the introduction of video technology. We are 8 games into this so called ‘respect campaign’ and the level of refereeing seems poorer than ever, and all the campaign has done is protect them from their mistakes.

• briss

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM

What goes around comes around and hopefully we’ll get a decision in our favour this season which gets us the points back!

• Gallowgate31

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Come on……. its no triumph at all. At least its ‘justice’ but way too late !

40 seconds out of the game, Beye would have stayed on and we might well have walked away with 3 points.

I would put up with those kind of delays to a game……

• strolla ameobi

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:30 PM

to be fair we were poor before the penalty.. happy it happened..it galvinised our effort.. down the mackems!!!!