Shay Devastated To Lose Derby

After Kieran Richardson’s goal on Saturday two supporters appeared from behind Shay Given’s goal to taunt him.

Shay Given – taunted after Sunderland’s second goal

Referee Mike Riley ran over to calm Given down, and then stewards removed the two supporters, but the goalkeeper came very close to reacting on a day scarred by supporter misbehavior. It’s good that Shay didn’t react, but he was tempted, that’s for sure.

Shay (full name Séamus John James Given) told the Newcastle Journal this morning:

“A few idiots came on to the pitch near me. It was a bit unsavory. I got a bit of abuse but I can’t repeat what they said.”

“It’s a shame because Sunderland have waited a long time for this and you don’t need a few idiots invading the pitch. The fans should stay in their seats and celebrate off the pitch.”

“We don’t want to lose passion but people running on to the pitch and shouting in players’ faces, that’s nothing short of stupidity. It was hard for me to keep my temper. It got close to something happening.”

“You’re feeling low enough after conceding so the last thing you want is some idiot roaring abuse in your face. You’ve got to count to 10 in your head.”

Given also added there was no element of surprise from Richardson’s strike, which was clocked at 73mph:

“When he ran up I knew exactly what he was going to do because he was so close he couldn’t get it up and over the wall,”

“It came over my side but passed me in a blur. I don’t know what the speed of the ball was but he got hold of it well and it was a great strike.”

“We’re devastated to lose a derby. We needed the points if nothing else. It’s a hard pill to swallow when it’s your big rivals and we were devastated in the dressing room, as the fans will be.’’

“We’re big rivals but fans should stay in their seats to celebrate,” “It was hard for me to keep my temper. You’re feeling low enough after conceding a goal so the last thing you want is some idiot coming on and roaring abuse in your face.”

You could see clearly what beat Shay was the pure speed of the ball, as he wasn’t too far off it, but the ball was in the net before he could react.

A wonderful strike, even if it was the goal that beat us – but that’s how pure class wins these close games.

• carl

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:27 AM

i really feel for shay, hes been through thick and thin and stood by the toon whatever, but its the likes of nicky butt taylor and ameobi who is costing us these games/points. weve got a descent squad but its obvious our midfield cant pass, keep the ball and ameobi cant use his feet for s**t.why did we sell emre????? how we need someone like him now

• ginkoh

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:40 AM

I understand how Shay feel because I’m the same as him. Even no one in the world behind Newcastle but we all will be together !

• Daniel

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:40 AM

To say Ameobi can’t use his feet is wrong, he took it past players more than Martins on Saturday, and he doesn’t even have pace. Picked out a few decent passes too. He just has no composure or confidence when shooting.

Shay Given deserves better than that, the fines should be banned and Sunderland fined. If they were nutters anything could have happened.

• Micky Toon

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:47 AM

I think in this situation there should be a special dispensation for Shay to have taken a bat to the heads of the scummers who came on the pitch. If I was Shay I’d get myself down to the doctors ASAP as he’s probably caught something from the spit of the monkeys that came on the pitch.

• Will

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Agreed Micky Toon, a swift head-butt would suffice in such instances.

• Paul

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM

if he knew what richardson was going to do why didnt he do something about it? and why didnt he +wat the mackems…harper couldve covered for a few weeks no problem

• norn iron magpie

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Nice Paul. I wouldn’t have minded if he decked the 2 of them either. HA HA. Harps could have covered no bother. Quality number 2 keeper could be number 1 in most teams.

• Heavy hitters

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Shay deserve a medal as big as a frying pan playing in goal with that idiot Taylor directly in front of him, suprised he hasnt had a nervous breakdown !!

• Terry

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:58 PM

“Shay (full name Séamus John James Given)”

Uhh…ok, what a completely random thing to stick in there, Ed.