Kinnear Almost Certain To Start Joey Barton

It looks like Joey Barton will get his first start since his six game FA ban tonight, when Newcastle play one of their most important games this season against WBA at St. James’ Park.

Joey Barton – almost certain to start tonight

Joe Kinnear said today:

“I will probably say to him that you can only kiss the badge again if you score a hat-trick. I said to Joey, ‘what you are going through, if it is any help, I have been through a hundred times myself with opposition fans’.”

“Because of the stick that went with the club and the Crazy Gang, and the stigma that went with Vinnie Jones and John Fashanu and the like, we lived with it and decided to create a siege mentality and we were very successful at it.”

“Fashanu had horrendous publicity and I told him the only way to silence his critics was to score plenty of goals.” “I had similar players at Wimbledon. They were characters. I’m not saying what Joey did was right and he would be the first to admit that.”

“I’m not going to push that under the carpet, but judge him on his football and he’s a decent footballer.”

The Newcastle crowd are usually very forgiving, although about half of our readers think he should have been handled much more severely by the club. But his official punishment is now over, although he will continue to be harassed all season by opposition crowds.

Hopefully the Newcastle faithful will be willing to forgive him and support the player, as he tries to rekindle both his career and his life.

He has been given yet another opportunity and we’d by lying if we said we didn’t want him to succeed – but it’s 100% in his hands, and Joey shouldn’t underestimate just how difficult it’s going to be.

Joe Kinnear added:

“I hope there are no protests from fans who don’t want him here. What I say to Joey is the only way he can win over these people is to show what he can do on the pitch – just get on with it and let them make their own assessment.”

“Just remember Kevin Keegan was very supportive and gave him 100 per cent backing. I’ve only been here a few weeks but he’s been a model of consistency.”

We expect both Barton and Gutierrez ro start the game tonight, and we also expect we’ll get all 3 points by the end of the 90 minutes.

It would be nice to play well and win by a few goals, but we’ll take the win however we can get it.

• Who is Derek Llambias?

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:59 AM

tonight’s team:

Given

Beye Colo Taylor Enrique

Jonas Barton Guthrie Zogs

Shola Martins

Thats our best 11 without doubt at the moment, I hope Joe realises this.

• Ganiyu

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Joe i gambled today 500 naira about 2pounds.i hope you win or you refund my money if you loose

• ed_speed

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:10 AM

don’t expect any thing, ed (harrison, not speed)

regards

Guthire
    Shola
    Carroll
    4-0 to the toons

• ed_speed

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:11 AM

ganiyu’s up already. its going to be a miserable day for the peopl of nigeria.

‘mon the lads

• Heavy hitters

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:30 AM

And people still insist on playing Taylor at CB? The clown should be playing for Billy Smart’s circus, he was the laughing stock on MOTD. Do some fans want to see us in the Championship? He’ll end up having to trade in his Darras Hall mansion for a council flat the way he’s playing !

• Whumpie

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:32 AM

I’m really quite excited about the midfield we’re likely to see tonight. I’d agree with post 1 on the starting line-up, with Duff ready to sub for any midfielder who starts to flag a bit.

Hopefully this time there won’t be a force 9 gale blowing and we can string a couple of passes together.

3-1, I think, and yet another from our very own ‘horse falling down stairs’, Shola…

• Whumpie

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Taylor was to blame for the first mackem goal, and I am starting to worry that he’s just not learning fast enough.

As for Joey, I’m in the “shouldn’t be here but he is, so support him” camp. The badge-kissing showed that he’s not going to change, but perhaps he can keep a lid on it for a while.

• Monster

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:44 AM

@ Who is Derek Llambias?

I think I’s have Duff in our best 11 atm.

• Karltoon

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:55 AM

I’d rather he was kissing the badge than spitting on it.. Least he knows the clubs bigger than him..

• Irish John

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Best starting 11 tonight

Given

Beye Colo Bassong Enrique

Guiterrez Guthrie Barton Duff

Ameobi Martins

• BILLY - B

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I dont think it will happen but the team should be
    Given
    Beye Collocini Basson Enrique

Guiteraz Barton Nzogbia Duff

Amiobi
    Martins
    Thats an attacking side that will keep W.B. so busy our defence will have a quite night for a change

• Toon

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:31 AM

TONIGHTS TEAM:
    given
    beye taylor colo bassong
    jonas barton guthrie nzogbia
    duff martins

subs: harper ameobi xisco enrique geremi ranger edgar

he will probably play ameobi but i would like duff and zog in the team

• Craignufc

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM

n’zogbia shud play imo

• Punk Skunk

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Harper
    Beye-Colo-Bassong-Enrique
    Jonas-Barton-Guthrie-Duff
    Martins-Ameobi

Bench: Given, Cacapa, Geremi, Taylor(rb), Zog, Xisco, Ranger…

• Paul:D

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:24 PM

agreed with punk skunk…just maybe with taylor in the team…and by the end of the match having xisco and ranger up front wit martins in a 4-3-3 with zog sub’d on in midfield at some point in the game

• DanToon

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:15 PM

@ Billy B & Irish John,

I 100% agree that is our best team, i hope Joe can see it as well. Ameobi would be the first subbed if we’re winning, i still don’t rate him at all!!

• Keegan Jnr

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Punk Skunk is there any reason your dropping probably our best player this season and infact every season for last 5 years, Given. Did he shag ya sister or something?

• Paul:D

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM

keegan jr, how has he been are best player this season, he is a goalkeeper, is job is to stop goals, organise the defence, and build the base of our passing play through distribution…he h as conceded how many goals…the defence has been unorganised, a shambles, with no leader and no confidence int he keeper…and his ditribution has consisted of hoofing the ball half way up the pitch to the opposition…given has been poor this season, and has been quite poor since his major injury….u up his ar$e or something?? sorry mate but harper didnt deserve to be dropped and given has been a disgrace this season

• Keegan Jnr

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Fair comment Paul, I suppose i should retract my comment about him being this seasons best anyway. Who would you select as our best player so far this season?