Goal Was Best Birthday Present I Could Have Hoped For

Last night’s second Newcastle goal was Oba Martins’ second goal of the season, and he admitted that Newcastle’s troubled season so far, will now start to improve.

Oba Martins – season will start to improve

The striker told the Evening Chronicle:

“It has been difficult.” “The big hurdle was getting three points and turning the corner, and we are happy to have done that.”

“But we still have plenty of work to do. We can’t relax.”“And we know that we must keep on repaying our fans.”

Martins took his Newcastle United goals total to 29 since joining the club in 2006. Oba has started 73 games with another 12 substitute appearances.

Oba said he was delighted to score on his 24th birthday, as he continued:

“I wanted to make sure I celebrated my birthday with a goal.” “The best part of the birthday present was that we won.” “It’s the best present I could have hoped for.”

“It was a great cross from Habib Beye and a good header as well.” “I’m happy and the the whole dressing room was too.”

Martins also had time to praise Senegal International Habib Beye, who has only recently returned to the side, following his Achilles injury.

Martins added:

“Habib is a first-class player.” “It doesn’t matter when people miss chances.” “The important thing is that we are creating chances and scoring goals.”“You will always miss some.”

“It was just brilliant to win at home, but we had to battle late on.” “They were determined, but we showed some strength and that helped us finally get the three points.”

Oba has become very attached to the Newcastle fans and the city, where he is a very popular player and person. His all-out action epitomizes what Newcastle fans just love to see in their players.

We have to believe that Oba will get back regularly on the scoring trail, hopefully starting next week against Aston Villa, which promises to be a much more difficult game for us than last night’s game against WBA.

Comments very welcome.

• sweendog

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Good on you oba .. just get your fitness up and you’ll be banging them in..

• Ganiyu

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:58 PM

He doesnt run like a bullet unlike his first season.

• sweendog

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:01 PM

looks like a confidence thing as well as fitness .. give him time and don’t drop him when Owen is back .. he’s too good .. form can dip but class stays..

• ginkoh

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Oba didn’t play well yesterday in term of last ball from him but I know he’ll be better in future.

Let me tell you, for our squads now if we can add teamwork and setplay into game, I think we already have good enough player for years here. ( But only we can play as team as well)

• shoesoff

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:27 PM

The lad looked a little rusty last night but I am glad he got his goal, a confident Oba will scare defences silly.
    As for his strike partner Shola last night, it isn’t that he played that badly, it’s just that I find myself pulling my hair out every time the ball gets near him on the ground. Don’t get me wrong he won a hell of a lot in the air that MO might have made more of than Oba but he just looks so uninterested and the fall over the ball for me was just the end. I was so happy to see Xisco getting ready it didn’t even cross my mind that Shola would be staying on the field.
    Anyway other than that Beye, Barton, Duff and Jonas looked good. I am convinced Guthrie will be a good player but I think Butt is needed for the time being and Taylor needs a kicking the clown went walkabout for their goal and almost did it again at the death.
    Oh well off to check the Christmas fixture list at least I should be able to get tickets now when I make it home!

Howay the lads

• james L

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM

how about this for a jan plan.
    get rid of:

smith 4million headless chicken
    amoebi 2million pure sh1te
    viduka free crap
    nzogbia 9million doesnt want to stay
    geremi free crap

total 15 million.

then buy

kyriakos papadopoulos 3million future
    odion ighalo 7million future
    thomas graveson free strong
    juan pablo sorin free reliable
    mathew Etherington 5million underated

total 15 million

when you put those player in a team its a certain improvement.

• shoesoff

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:36 PM

Honestly N’Zog is like Shola for me, on his day he is magic (well maybe not just like shola) but most of the time he frustrates the hell out of me, too much head down and run, he looks exciting but never really does anything.

As long as we replaced him with quality I don’t care if he goes.

• Bosck

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:36 PM

james l -nzogbia has come out and said he is enjoying it here and the competition for places is good. how does that sound like he wants to go

• Punk Skunk

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Ta Oba…& Happy Birthday man!..

• james L

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:58 PM

nzogs bottom lip has been trailing the grooned for ages now. in all honesty i dont like him much rather have etherington on the wing.

• Turkish magpie

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM

james l bad jan plan

we dont want rid of anyone !

surely we can get better subs than carroll and edgar

• Bill F

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:24 PM

Shoesoff, How do you reckon Shola was uninterested. I watched the whole game and he was chasing and running down players from start to finish. Admittedly his first touch and control is sometimes poor and he does have his clown moments, but his work rate and attitude last night could’t be faulted and he created a lot of chances including the penalty. A bit more confidence and we might be seeing a decent player.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM

Nice one Bill,
    i suppose, once some have decided what they think about a player, it matters not one jot what he ‘actually’ does on the pitch…Ever!..
    …Sad!..

• JJ

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Everyone keeps talking about Oba’s personal goaldraught.
    He has got 2 in 5 starts. That is not bad…
    He may be a bit rusty, but he certainly is not playing badly.

• Tripp

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:58 AM

yeah, you can’t fault shola. He created quite a few opportunities on tuesday. If Beye hadn’t skied he chance Shola would have an assist. Except for that one bizarre episode where he just tripped over himself, I thought he did quite well. His lack of pace is the thing that inhibits him. He did turn Donk inside out a couple of times on the night.