Kinnear And Newcastle Have Uncertain Future

Joe Kinnear has voiced a little frustration at his situation at the Tyneside club, since it’s obvious he has no idea, like the rest of us, about what is going on with the sale of Newcastle United.

Joe Kinnear – has no idea how long he’ll be at Newcastle

Joe talked to the Times last night:

“What I have to do is see how popular I become or how well I do while I am here and then I have got to ask someone, ‘hey I’ve got to start thinking of my own future now,’”

“Is a long-term contract going to be offered to me?”

“If no, I am not sure whether I can continue to work month after month after month, so yes, I would like a bit more security, I suppose.”

Kinnear knows that what happens with the sale of the Newcastle club will impact his future at the club, but it is now over two weeks since we last heard from Keith Harris, Chairman of Seymour Pierce Bank, who are handling the sale for owner Mike Ashley.

Joe continued:

“I knew it could take a minimum of two months to sell the club and a maximum of three, so really I picture myself here for three months,”

“We’ll look at the situation after that, if it is not resolved.”

Joe was then asked if there could come a time when he may be obliged to look after his own interests and Joe answered:

“Yeah, you can write that,” he said. “Absolutely right. There is going to come a point.”

This situation is unsettling to everybody associated with the club, including the players and the fans, as well as Joe and the coaching staff.  We think it about time that the club, or Keith Harris on their behalf,  tells us what exactly is the status of the sale of the club.

But if the club is being as communicative as it has been since Derek Llambias took over – we’ll not hold our breath. The lack of communications these last few months has been nothing short of an insult to both fans and players alike.

The level of communication from the club has been worse than terrible.

It now looks like Joe Kinnear also has no idea what is happening.

Comments welocme.

• Toon_Ksk

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Nothing new.

• skin d

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:29 AM

it has to be sorted out soon,we can,t go on like this indefinatley.
    makes you wonder though if he was always looking to sell ashley,he seemed to cave in pretty quickly after one protest.
    he has got to do the right thing now,and f##k off and let us get going again.
    i for one will be glad to see the back off this lying cheating conman.

• reillers

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:35 AM

Joe’s a good man, and he’s a good manager. I hope they’re straight with him, he deserves at least that.

• skin d

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:39 AM

dont know whether joe is the answer full time,he,s got a touch of the sam allardyce school of hoof it and negativity.

• Big Lad

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:55 AM

We must get this sorted ASAP.

I personally think ash wanted the best for the club but made poor decisions in appointing friends in a role that should have never been created.

I just hope he isn’t being greedy and forcing people out of making offers but on the other hand all the gossip has dried up so that could be a good sign.

• Aussie Magpie Fan

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:57 AM

Come on ED you must be struggling for content… I think every body associatted with the club from upper management to the fans knew the situation with Joe… Maybe your story should of been about what a great job he has done ,stabalising the team and getting some good results (man city – everton and WBA). As stated above a lot of managers turned down the chance because of the instability of the post… Keep up the good work Joe, you have won me over with you gut’s and determination!!! It’s nice to have someone fighting for the team and not running away like a spoilt child when things get tough!! KK take a leaf out of Joes book !!

• Pablo Blanco

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:05 AM

I admire Kinnear, he has come in and done a job that other managers didn’t have the guts for. The likes of Terry Venables, George Graham, David O’Leary, Danny Wilson, Glenn Hoddle, John Gregory and Bryan Robson were all offered the interim post and all declined – Joe has come in and made a good impression and I really wish him all the best. You are doing us proud Joe!

• Robby Bobson

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Reilers – very true. If he was to turn around and say ive got a job offer somewhere else, good luck to him.

I think he has done well putting guts and fighting spirit into the team, but im not too sure long-term. Hes tactics in the second half of the WBA worried me…but i suppose he is getting used to the team and now heknows that we can not invite teams onto us.

I wouldn’t be against giving Joe an end of season contract, and see how he does as i dont think he will take us down.

Aussie Magpie Fan – i agree…Keegan was great in the 90s and is a great manager in my opinion, but how many times can he walk out and still eb the Messiah. It was giood to have him back, but now hes done one again we should move on.

• Aussie Magpie Fan

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:43 AM

I think we all can agree Joe is not the best tactically.. But in my opinion neither was KK. I have read a few blogs saying things along these lines.. “if we were 2 up against WBA when KK was in charge, he would of gone out and asked the boy’s to win 6 nil, keep attacking”..
    The problem with that is… From memory upon KK’s return.. we were never in that positon.. I don’t see how many NUFC fans can say Joe would be any worse than KK when it came to tactics…. I think we all remember how low confidence was on the park when KK left.. Joe has at least sorted that prolem out… He can work on tactics when the team really start to believe in themselves again

• MichaelOWaN

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:54 AM

I think when Joe signed the contract, one of the agreements might probably be that he would not be getting any informations about the status of the sale and that his job is only to surpervise the team affairs. As long as he get the job done, he will get the money. Anything other than that, should not concern him.

• SuperShearer

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:15 AM

Fair enough but don’t forget that this job has put JK firmly back on a lot of clubs radars as a potential manager. therefore he is also getting a lot out of it, i would understand him going but let’s not make out like he’s doing us some huge favour.

• Len

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:33 AM

More agent trash. Unemployed for four years. Gets one win and wants a long term contract? Be fair with the man but be fair to the club as well. Which means he gets well paid for this match by match deal. If he gets a better offer good luck to him. End of season deal could be OK if MA cant sell the club. If thats not OK he can go back to being an unemployed pensioner.

• ginkoh

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:10 AM

Nothing garantee from our club now. Anything is possible both worst and best.

• 51times

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:32 AM

Aussie Magpie Fan – Running away like a spoilt child..so have you just missed Keegan being backed by more or less everybody in football or have you simply chosen to ignore it?

• Tripp

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:50 AM

KK still put the fans and players in an awful position. Just leaving like that because things were tough… not good enough. He should have stayed and carried on for the remainder of the season.

I think that the sale of the club is going to take quite sometime. Given the current global financial picture, I don’t see anything happening for a bit yet. Hopefully I’m wrong. The club needs to move on and having this hanging over us is no good.

• Ganiyu

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:10 AM

Ashley is not selling the club until 28th of april because an agreement has been made that if the club escapes relegation this season then its worth the price the present value is 86m ashley bought the club for 134 and helped reduced the debts.trying to sell the club is a problem of undervalued price of around 60m.its a shame.the new owners are watching and hoping that if there is a guarantee that by january if Newcastle clear off relegation the takeover will be over.one of d owners kid is a fan of taylor

• Ganiyu

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:34 AM

As for joe there is no future for him.a rolling contract is rolling didnt he read the terms and agreement? The shortlist of the owners shows that our new coach is some one who values physical attributes of players.but its not jose morinho.the new owner will adopt a new style of play that would attract fans of more than 60000 fans in every sjp game.i also learnt he was going to change the whole coaching staff and get more reputable ones.as for me december determines my april 09

• GLENNUNITED

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:39 AM

YEAH!! WHAT IS FN HAPPENING WITH THE SALE OF THE CLUB???

• Tim_Toon

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:41 AM

Gainyu- You are so full of crap that your eyes are starting to turn brown.

• dougnufc

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:55 AM

• dougnufc

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:57 AM

All I know about John Joe O’Toole is that he scored 7 in 9 starts

• Ganiyu

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Irish tool.and what role in midfielder is he going to play?

• Toon Graeme

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Results didnt do us any favours last night and it looks like by monday we will be back in the bottom 3 if not the bottom.

3 points would be nice – doubtful though!

• Ganiyu

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Winning villa would be a miracle

• Ganiyu

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Time on this Blog is different from the time on my clock

• lesh

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:06 AM

Ganiyu, your 16 – 17 posts made a lot of sense and seemed totally out of kilter with the tripe you posted later!

Either you’re in the know and taking the mick or you’ve lifted your 16 & 17 comments from somewhere.

Who is Ganiyu?

• Geordie Jayne

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:39 AM

51 times totally agree with you mate

• Silence of the Llambias

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:40 AM

JK worries me. Yes, he had the balls to come in when no one else would, and its a good job someone did. The team however, whilst appearing happy and motivated, has not impressed under him. West Brom are good at one thing, playing it neatly and quickly side to side and keeping possession,edging forward. It was playing into their hands to back off and not threaten their many weaknesses. That Joe didnt spot this is worrying. There are times to shut up shop but this wasnt one. Hes a good man manager but not a long term solution. I wasnt for Keegan when he came back, but wow did he show qualities. He is not to blame for any of this. Appointed by Ashley as a PR exercise, he has many clear insights into things that give the edge in a game of football. He was denied the opportunity to apply one of his greatest strengths, player selection. Ashley screwed us all and still is screwing us in the pursuit of his greatest loves, power and money. He will not relish the prospect of loss of face if Keegan gets back. The longer he waits the more likely it is that fans will tilt blame towards Keegan. This would be a travesty, dont turn against him people.

• Geordie Jayne

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Joe Kinnear has won the lottery by getting the job at NUFC not NUFC won the lottery by getting Joe Kinnear.

He is not the man for the job, but does deserve some respect. Lets not forget that Joe is in a win win situation. If the results go wrong he can blame the current turmoil at the club, lack of players etc etc etc.

I can’t see us going on a winning run with Joe as manager or the current situation, although I would love to eat my words and see us in complete safety, but I think it is going to be a long hard season unless we are sold well before January.

• Macas

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:00 AM

To be honest I’m getting sick of Kinnear’s blatant self promotion at every available opportunity. Just shut your trap and get on with the job you are being paid to do. He knew the score when he came in and others didnt take the job because basically they didnt need it. His tactics have looked very suspect the last few games so I hope the sale is completed soon and we can get a full time manager in.

• Kenneth

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Never appoint this man full time!

• Sav

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Jeez, Macas, at least somebody at the club is talking. I don’t know if that’s what you mean by ‘self-promotion’ but in the time of Llambias, any news is good news.
    As for Silence of the Llambias. I think that’s a well-though and valid post.
    As for the rest of the above, its obvious JFK was asked a direct question about thinking about his own future. Lets not, for Pete’s sake, turn against a bloke who is just the man for the times we are in, just because he gave an honest answer to a fair question. I think NUFC was at least as desperate as unemployed Joe when we got him.

If you all want to vent your spleen, remember Wise and Llambias are getting more per week than Joe for doing absolutely FA.

• Chris G

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:16 AM

lesh // Oct 30, 2008 at 9:06

Who is Ganiyu?
    ——————–

Good question mate – I’ve often wondered that myself. He seems to be suffering from a split personality these days.

By the way, I’m afraid his 16-17 posts didn’t make much sense to me – I think it was that comment he made about attracting more than 60,000 for every home game that did it for me – I thought that the current ground capacity at SJP is only about 52,000, so maybe Ganiyu could explain to us how he’s going to fit in the extra 8,000+ people.

Nah, he’s never in the know. He always talks tripe.

• Macas

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Sav- I meant self-promotion as in he never shuts up about whether someone will employ him because of the job he’s doing, or that he deserves a long term contract at the Toon. It just seems to be in every interview he gives and is starting to grate on me a bit.

• redeye

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:34 PM

Joe’s come in and lifted the boys which was needed at the time, but no way should he get the role full-time. I for one don’t want to watch long balls played up to Shola week in week out. I thikn he’s a character and likeable but tactically I think he comes up short. Still he lifted the gloom after KK left and this wont be forgotten.