Mike Ashley To Return – That Would Be Too Difficult

Rob Lee, who was one of Newcastle very best players under the first Keegan regime, has spoken out today about the Newcastle situation.

Rob Lee – while at Newcastle United

Rob Lee has talked about the Newcastle situation today:

“If Mike Ashley decides to sell then that’s fine but we are in a market now where it is very difficult to sell anything, let alone a football club for £300M, and crikey it’s going to take longer than people expect,”

“Maybe if Mike Ashley said, ‘Look, listen I don’t know a lot about football but I’ve had a year now looking at it and I got it all wrong and let’s have a clean sweep’ the fans would accept that because he’s held his hands up and they would say let’s start again.”

“But it’s now a matter of whether or not Mike Ashley wants to invest more money – because he will have to – or whether he just wants to get the club off his hands now.”

“I don’t think any manager worth his salt is going to tolerate anyone else buying their players,”  “That is one thing that Kevin was very good at and if he’s not allowed to do that then you take away what he is about.”

“I admire what they did at Tottenham where Daniel Levy admitted ‘I got it wrong, totally wrong’ by letting someone else buy players for the manager. They’ve now resorted to the way it should be done with Harry Redknapp and he certainly wouldn’t accept that.”

We’re not sure it’s as easy as Rob suggests. For one thing if Mike held onto the club – who would be the new long term manager?

It’s unlikely that Kevin would return, and a few fans still hold Kevin culpable for walking out on the club a second time, even though he had every right to be upset at what was happening. But for the good of the club – was walking out the right thing to do.?

The club has paid dearly for the disagreement between the Board and Kevin – that’s the only real known fact.

We don’t know if Joe Kinnear is good enough, or if he could get us the success we all yearn for, but he could give Joe a shot through the end of the season. Of course what exactly will happen if he cannot sell the club is another matter, and that’s a lot more worrying, since that may mean there will be no transfer money in January – and that would be disastrous.

But if Mike does come back – he’ll also have to get rid of Wise and Llambias, and let the manager have total control of players.

No – it’s a thought, but we think things have gone too far down the road, and it seems that Kinnear is now carrying the club completely – with little help from anybody else. There’s still far too much bad blood with the way Ashley and the Board have conducted themselves, and the cavalier way they have treated the Geordie fans with disdain.

And it seems that Joe isn’t even privy to what is happening with the sale sale of the club – and he’s certainly in the shop window as far as opportunities to manage other teams go, now he has done well at Newcastle. It wouldn’t be a big surprise if Joe gets  some plum job offer in the future for another club, and then what happens to Newcastle?

Mike Ashley coming back is a thought – but a bad one.

• Davies

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM

I think, to some fans, Rob Lee might be right. It’s certain that Wise and Llambias should no longer be in their positions, and if that was something Ashley was prepared to address, this could just be a realistic idea. He would also have to bring in a good manager and fund him appropriately, but that’s all we need at the moment; a manager and an owner who backs him.

I’m not sure that Kinnear is a good long term choice, but he should certainly be allowed the opportunity to prove his worth until the end of the season. Maybe Ashley could give him that.

If these things happen, I’m sure it would only be the embarassing militant anti-Ashley brigade that would object, though I have no doubt that they would take the opportunity to make their voices heard, and The Sun, The Mirror and The Mail would all be happy to give them a national voice.

• Mike

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Dont listen to rob has to say – I’m still selling

Seriously let not jump on the band wagon cause of what an ex-player says (especially a cockney) – It would be so easy if you were journo to manipulate those words write now.

• Chizzy_Toon

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:53 AM

• beyethegreat

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM

i would have forgave him if he done this at the start but now im not sure

• adam

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:55 AM

simple.
    wise and llambias leave.
    mike ashley apologises and supports the manager 100%
    everything will be fine

• David Dutch

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Is it really such a bad thought. If Ashley does a Levy – holds his hands up and says ‘I got it wrong, but I have learned’. Swept away the dead wood and invested in players in January even with Joe at the helm I think we would have an acceptable season. We are not going to get into Europe I doubt if we will win any silverware, but we can stabilise and climb the table, we have got to be better than the Mackems and the Smoggies.

The credit crunch will be on the turn by next summer, if the club is mid-table he has a better chance of selling than in the present position, but this is all hype, no one not even MA really knows what is going to happen. I agree with Rob Lee, I thought his comments were sound except for Alan Shearer – does he really want to come into management or is it too comfortable in the chair pontificating. Trouble with fans who have emotional ties to individual they tend to not look at the whole picture.

• Stevo

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:07 AM

On supporters terms only….

– Apology to fans.
    – Liambias sacked.
    – Wised sacked.
    – Full-time manager appointed (JK offered job first) who is 100% backed by owner.
    – Investment made for January transfer market to strengthen weak areas in the team (not asking for massive signings just a consistent LB and CB.

Never in a million years….why we talking about this?

• Karltoon

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:15 AM

I think that’s been the plan all along personally.. Smoke and Mirrors, waiting for the heat to die down.

• Ganiyu

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM

Hope we finish in a top 10 position

• SuperShearer

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Keith Harris was keeping us quite well informed for a while. Has it all gone quiet because there was no real interest or could it also be that someone is performing due diligence and wants to stay under the radar. The truth is that, as has become trend under this owner, the fans are in the dark, the manager is in the dark, and no doubt the players are in the dark. Fair to assume that unless we have a new owner in by Xmas, Owen will leave, as will a few others and we could be in quite a lot of trouble.

• Sav

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Look, you are selling your house. Do you stop mowing the lawn and let the paint peel? For a small investment of cash in January and a bit of housekeeping (paying off Wise and Silence of the Llambias) the club could find herself in the top half by May and a decent prospect for a new owner.
    Its salesmanship and good business – 2 things Ashley is supposed to be strong on – so it makes perfect sense. But is his ego up to it?

• Stevo

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Karltoon – I think you probably right mate. What a gamble to take though eh?!

• Eaststander

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:23 AM

This would be a disaster. Everytime something went wrong we would blame ashley again. What is done is done lets all be patient we know there are buyers out there its just taking longer than we thought. Ashley out!!!!

• Stevo

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM

I think Harris has went quiet because there is no buyer. MA wont back down on the issues the supporters have and just wants rid of the club. If he really loves the club as much as he claims he would have done anything or at least compromised to keep the peace. I reckon were stuck in a stalemate from now until the economy is on the mend.

• sirjasontooon

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:32 AM

I think JK should be kept on board however long it takes to steady the ship…transfer wise I can’t see any money being spent in January.

I would have preferred non of this to have happened but it has and a solution is needed.

I hope we are sold soon as january will be another very quiet window.

• Rasko a.k.a Hadji

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Currently the best rated midfielder in the Bundes league……Sejad Salihovic with 4 goals and 5 assists in 10 games.

Check his free kicks against Werder Bremen…he wears number 23.

Salihovic and Ibisevic made Hoffenheim a CL team.
    He’s definetly one of a kind player,a player that every team would love to have.
    I wonder if Lyon will make an offer for him to replace Juninho.

• broon ale

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:41 AM

no way should kinnear stay on! his tactics have been dog shit united

• broon ale

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:44 AM

which six morons voted for xisco as man of the match against west brom? he was absoulte poo mist!

he look scared when he came on!

• Bill F (Original)

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:47 AM

The only thing that will please the supporters if he wants to keep the club is if he does as I suggested with my close season name and Splash the Cash. I don’t think to many of us are to bothered now if KK comes back. I am not sure he can do any better under the circumstances than JK is doing. He was after all partially culpable to our present situation and before anyone gets on my back, Yes I agree he had a lot of sh*t thrown his way. But I can also see that MA wanted to progress the club his own way. In the aftermath though I cannot see them kissing and making up, there has been too much bad blood especially with Wise still being at the club. And to be fair to him, you have to assume he also is doing his best for the club.
    I also think MA is now trying to keep a low profile and tough it out and will be surprised if the club is sold in the short term. And whilst there is still a lot of hate festering round for MA, I can;t help feeling that the devil we know might be better than the one we don’t.
    Thats enough rubbish from me for now as I know that if you go on too much people lose interest.
    I would like to mention that after an exchange of e-mail with Ed we have agreed that I am the original Bill F (if anyone is interested) and I have decided to include that fact in my name from now on. Petty and egotistical perhaps but hey aren’t we all to some degree.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:57 AM

broonale,
    not me, but if we keep givin’ him a few minutes, chances are he’ll get used to the atmos & come good…Give me a chance mate!..

• broon ale

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:04 PM

suppose so,

I wonder why dennis wise or the other cronies have turned up to watch their boy play!

Whats happened to iganacio Gonzalez!

No wonder keegan legged it. Our tranfer criteria is supposed to be young hungry players with their best years ahead of the them (Milner anyone) But instead we ended loaning a 27 year uruguayan from another team!

the people running the club really are clueless!

• James Richards

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

If Greedy Ashley refuses to drop his price to something more reasonable, i can see him just stopping at the club. He will wait for the heat to die down and then “apologise” to the fans. After a few weeks he will be back to his old tricks of sitting with the fans, announcing we have a “Big Signing” in the works and signing a local hero as manager. All the right noises but no action (should have been a politician, Mike).
    Some people are saying its down to his lack of experience in football that he has made mistakes. Wrong, its his lack of common sense. In any type of business if you hire someone to do a job it is counterproductive to do everything in your power to stop them doing it, or even worse try to do it yourself.
    Basically he has went back on all his promises and delivered nothing but hollow gestures to keep the fans quiet and buy himself more time. Does any one honestly think his new found “experience” in football is going to change how he runs the club or how he treats the fans?

• james

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM

For the record Kinnear’s achievements so far amount to a draw at Everton – who have been struggling in the bottom half of the table – another at home to Manchester City, and a less than convincing win over newly promoted West Bromwich, who are heading for their own relegation struggles.
    It hardly qualifies him for a Manager of the Month award, let alone a long-term contract worth a couple of million quid a season.

• Rasko a.k.a Hadji

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:08 PM

This is a better version,the best free kick taker in Europe atm according to some football experts.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Good point broonale,
    where is Nacho?..
    …Wouldn’t mind seein’ him play like!..

…What’s his natural position?..

• Geordie Jayne

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Ashley sitting with the fans again is just not going to happen.

Rob Lee is just stating facts, if we don’t sell then Ashley will stay only choice Ashley has. Lets hope he does not bring the club down with his share dealings or we are in deep turd. As for the economy upturn, don’t hold your breath it could take years and NUFC could be no longer if Ashley goes down with his shares.

Look at the state of our Club Ashley is fully to blame as he did all the employing and for god sakes owns our club. So it is his fault end of.

If only we could have a vote of no conifidence in the board and pooooof they would be all gone, but unfortunately we can’t.

I very very worried at the moment, the situation is that grave.

• Bill F

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:22 PM

This was posted much earlier under my new name but moderation is taken so long I decided to repost. So aplogies as it will now show twice.

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

• A.L. 9

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Spuds leaving White Hart lane and building 60,000 seater stadium. Although I highly doubt they will get anywhere near 60,000 in I think we need to think about doing the same (when all this mess is sorted), I would prefer St James’ to be extended but I doubt the council would let them, we cannot get left behind by clubs like Tottenham.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Don’t think we can predict what’s gonna happen with regard to the sale of the club!..
    …But, at least it’s not in the press daily, that’s for the best!..
    …We can only concentrate on the football really & gettin’ out of the shit…

…Whatever happened to KK?..Playin’ golf in Spain or somethin’?..

• BLACK+WHITE BLOOD

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM

MAYBE WE NEED TO PUT THE PRESSURE ON ASHLEY AGAIN, WITH ANOTHER PROTEST AGAINST HIS REGIME!!! NOT AS BIG BAD AND UGLY, BUT JUST A REMINDER THAT WE WANT A NEW OWNER AND ASHLEY WISE AND CO TO GO!!!!!!

• Ganiyu

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Hadji are you a scout?awesome.i feel they would be in the champions league next year.

• BLACK+WHITE BLOOD

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM

A.L .9 comment 26… agree mate, need to get into a 60,000 plus seater stadium, if you build it they will come, it will be full week in week out, as we have one of the biggest waiting lists for season tickets (or used to), would prefer st james, but if council knocks it back we may have to build elsewhere!!!!

• lesh

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:40 PM

MA’s between the devil and the deep blue sea. The club’s prem position is precarious and the drop would severely its sale value.

Stay in the prem and weather the economic downturn (which any prospective buyer’ll be taking advantage of to force the asking price down).

Can we survive without topping the sqaud up? Many doubt that but there are some wondreful players in there.

But, here’s the rub – if he still wants to get the wage bill down, player sales are inevitable thus weakening the potential for survival!

Or, does MA invest more to weather the storm?

It’s up to him but whichever way he goes, it’s gonna be at a cost.

Somehow he’s got to save face and I honestly beleive he could do worse than be rid of redundant posts – well I cab think of one Mr Wise.

Llambias, not the best for the business (that’s what it is, like it or not!) and there needs to be an MD or whatever. Who fulfilled that role under Freddy? Was it Russel Cushing?

Can’t see it ‘cos he’s old school but could it be any worse than it is at the moment.

Just thinking out loud Mike and you”re in a tight spot as you were before KK walked. You stuck to your guns then and just look where we are!

Levy had no choice to what he did before appointing Harry……… are you, Mike Ashley, brave enough?

You could do worse.

• skin d

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:41 PM

forget about everything else keegan,wise etc.
    all your left with is mike ashley saying he,ll stump up 20 mil a year and thats yer lot,so if fans want to put up with years or mediocrity or possible fizzy pop football the by all means welcome him back.

• Turkish magpie

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Stilyan Petrov is injured for monday 😀

• Terry Mac's Crossword

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:43 PM

We have bought some superb players into the club (more recently) under Ashley and the scouting structure. Jonas, Coloccini, Guthrie, Bassong, Ranger, Spear etc. Despite the interpersonal bu****it between the people running it, the system itself certainly has had its benefits. But i still feel the tail was wagging the dog by making Wise “the daddy” of it all, but instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water i really hope we continue with the ethos which have brought these type of players to the club.

• Ganiyu

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Once again the time on this Blog is incorrect.

• Bill F

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Talking about potential buyers, someone had a go at me when I posted a copy of a joke e-mail I received from an “African” source.
    Well I had another direct from an “African” source today and it is so funny because it is so obvious a scam and so badly written I felt I had to repeat it. I just hope the sender is not connected with the potential “African” buyers.

Dear Fund Beneficiary,

I am Robinson kuku, The Executive Director Diplomatic Delivery Department of the African Development bank , This is to inform you that my office has taking over all International Money transaction originated from all parts of African country due to the miss appropriation of fund by some corrupt officials of the apex and commercial banks and exccesive demand of upfront payment by some officials of commercial and apex banks, However your Name is among two other Names short listed for fund delivery in your country through a diplomatic means, The money would be concealed in metal boxes and could be labeled as your personal belonging so as to obtain full diplomatic immunity coverage to ensure a hitch-free delivery, You are therefore advised to contact my office as soon as you receive this mail for more detailed information.
    The mode of operation:
    1, You are to inform me the name of your nearest International airport to enable us enroot the diplomatic ticket correctly and also mail us first and second page of your international passport or any other identification as we shall also forward copy of the diplomatic passport to you for Identification on his arrival in your air port.
    2, Your presence would be needed in your airport to receive the diplomat on his arrival so that both of you would move straight to your bank in lodging the money on your behalf therefore you will sign vital document confirming the intact receipt of your fund.
    Finally, Upon confirmation of your readiness in receiving your money we shall start processing necessary documentation as regard the safe delivery of your fund to you in your country and the keys of the boxes including the fund delivery document which would be secured in your favor would be sent to you through FedEx overninght.
    Most importantly the Certificate of claims Which indicates that you are the beneficiary of this fund as contract payment,lottery winner or Inherited money(nextof
    kin) which is already with us would be sent to you.
    Up on the confirmation of this mail I will give you more information.
    Do also provide me with your telephone numbers for further communication.

Robinson kuku
    Executive Director, Diplomatic Delivery Department,African Development bank, London office
    25 Dowgate Hill
    London EC4R 2SB

The information contained in this E-mail and/or attachments may contain protected health,legally privileged,or otherwise confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s)concerned. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient,you are hereby advised to contact me for more detailed explanation