Shola Has Proved Us Wrong – Great!

Shola Ameobi has today praised manager Joe Kinnear for helping him get his career back on track.

Shola Ameobi – career getting back on track

Shola talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“Joe’s come in and put self-belief back into my game and really put my career back on track.” “And I have to say it’s great for me to be back out there working hard and playing well.”

“I admire what Joe’s done, not just for me, but for the whole squad. He’s just come in and said ‘regardless of what’s gone on, we have to just fight and be a team’, and that’s certainly what we’ve done.”

“We’ve got to keep doing it if we’re to get ourselves out of the position we’re in.” “He’s shown that belief in me, and it’s great for me personally.”

Glenn Roeder was the last United manager to get the best out of Ameobi, and Glen told anybody who would listen that Shola was a good player and could score goals. Strange, that’s exactly what Shola did for Roeder.

In management you nearly always get what you expect, so if you expect someone to do well, and let them know how much you believe in them, that’s what will generally happen. It’s exactly what Kevin did in January, as he started to get the best out of a lot of our players at Newcastle United, and Joe is a very similar type of manager.

Shola has done just great, and he has had plenty of adverse criticism from both the press and some fans, and now he’s showing real character in putting his head down and getting some goals and playing well for Newcastle United. And he’s done it himself – with the right help from Joe.

We have criticized Shola before on our site, but always said he was much better than he has been playing since his hip operation, and we are delighted that Shola is proving us wrong.

In fact we just love it – keep it up Shola. 😀

• Will

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Still a bit dodgy yet son.

• broon ale

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Nile Ranger is twice the player

• Robby Bobson

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I mean fair play to the lad…he does offer us a real presence up front. Although he will still take on two players then tread on the ball and fall over.

Get him a run of games and consistancy will come, dont forget hes been out for years and under Roeder he still wanst fully fit. He has ‘potential’, although we have been saying that since he was 21 and now hes 27.

• Mark-O

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM

yeah he’s proved me wrong!!

I thought he was usless, now its proven that he’s totally totally usless.

• Ian

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM

No-one can argue with goalscoring ratios, Shola used to have a very good scoring record, he has an opportunity to demonstrate to everyone that he is the right striking bench warmer to keep, cant understand why he didnt waken up sooner.
    He has done well recently, shame his play looks so clumsy.

• dave

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM

what a bullshit article

• UTD111

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Aye he’s absolutely superb – I reckon it will be a straight fight between Chelsea and Manure in January, they’ll both be after him wavin big money at us, oh aye……
    (I’ll take me tongue out me cheek now LOL)

• Danny

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:24 PM

I agree Shola has been great in the last few games. People need to get off his back.

• Lost prophet

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:25 PM

I said he was shit years ago. He’s shit now and he will always be shit. Sorry but if you think he plays well then you need glasses.he might be keeping younger and better talent out of the team.not so long ago we were all praying he was off,now he’s great!
    Bollocks!

• broon ale

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:27 PM

seriously nile ranger must look at him and think, why arent I in the first team!

• bigpeaovtheweab

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM

i wudnt go as far as saying he has his game back on track far from it why isnt them players that caused such a stur playing for us i bet thay xisco and gonzales arnt that bad players if they were actuialy given a run out

• beyethegreat

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:31 PM

ive never seen a player more akward or with worse balance other than that he could be a decent player he scores goals and if he doesnt fall over he can take a player on

• Fergie

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Shola hasn’t done anything in the last few games to show me that he is better than i think he is. Admittedly he seems to look a lot more interested and puts more effort in than in preseason and when i saw him in the reserves last season. That doesn’t mean that he is a better player technically. He can be a threat at times but realistically, if we have all our players fit, I don’t think he would even make the bench. If he is prepared to roll up his sleeves and keep putting in the same effort that he has done in the last week and a hlaf, then by all means, he is a decent squad player, but nothing more. His first touch is infuriating, as is his lack of being able to get back into an onside position.

• beyethegreat

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:32 PM

though we should still back ameobi

• Ed Harrison

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM

Dave – thanks for the praise – I don’t get too much of it. 😀

• Uncle Archie

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Think you’re getting carried away a bit Ed.

I’ve always been one of Shola’s biggest critics, he’s been awful at times, trodding on the ball and falling over his own feet. However, I can’t deny that he’s looked a totally different player under JFK. Granted, that doesn’t make him a great or even good Prem player, but at least he’s been contributing. I’m not saying he’s going to turn into a toon legend and save us now, but he’s playing the target man fairly well in Viduka’s absense and fair play to the lad I hope it continues.

As for Viduka, I saw flashes of his brilliance at times in a toon shirt, but they were far and few between. I doubt we will ever see that from him again in a toon shirt, but thats a different kettle of fish…

• Darling27

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM

Shola Ameobi has had his time. It’s all about a certain young lad called Nile Ranger now.

• The Entertainers

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:45 PM

If Shola was a young 20 year old or younger i would be excited, but hes not and even in his mid 20’s the lad has so much of his game to improve on.

Hes at best a below average PL player and at worst a good championship player.

I still cant believe the chance against the Mackems at 1-1, when put through and didnt make the keeper work. That game sums Shola up. Looked good up until he scored, then looked terrible.

• Whumpie

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Sorry, Ed – I’ve got a big soft spot for wor Shola ‘horse falling down stairs’ Ameobi, but I also think he’s a long way from premiership material.

BUT let’s recognise that he’s stepped up to the plate when we’ve really needed it and banged in some precious goals (and won a vital penalty).

He could now improve further, who knows? I certainly hope so, but I’m far from convinced.

• Ganiyu

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM

I noticed his aggressiveness but poor shooting use him as an attacking midfielder who will bring the ball and assist the strikers up front

• Stami

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Sure Strola scored 2 in 2! but realistically, he should have 6 in 2, cause he has missed so many chances its unbelievable! He gave away far too many fouls in the 2nd half, Oba should have stayed on with Carroll playing along side him!

my 2 cents worth for the month!

• m.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:52 PM

he proved even himself wrong – no sane person in the world would believe that he could score again for NUFC!

• Obafan

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Well he is playing now and has scored 2 in 2. He was out for a long period and before his injuries he was a good player alongside Shearer.

I don’t know why the most here are always getting on his back. He is working hard and is showing the right attitude. Thannk God he has found a bit of a form, cause if we had to count on Xisco then it could and probably would be a lot worse.
    There are worse players in our team and they do start every f***ing game, but the most on here do not bother about them.

• Macas

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM

He was better than Martins on Tuesday, although that’s not saying much. He’s never going to be a top player for us but he’s our best bet at the moment with Owen and Viduka injured.

• Stami

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM

its so nice not conceeding penalties, and fouls right round the edge of the box for a change… hey where is Nicky Butt…

• CHUCK

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:15 PM

Getting used to the abuse I see Ed., gotta have thick skin doin this gig.
    Sure Shola is never going to be Shearer and yes he does look awkward out there, but whats changed, he allways did.
    I think if you can get past that he has been fairly effective getting to the long balls (whether you agree or not , its the game being played now) and many strikers would be happy scoring two goals in three games, so lighten up dont be such critics give the guy a chance, he may surprise you.

• ginkoh

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:31 PM

Hope he can keep doing better and better.

• Stami

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Shola is ok in small doses. sub him at half time, cause he will have likely done all he is gonna by then!

• Ben K

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:05 PM

First touch is crap, but will get some clever touches in and get past defenders. His best quality is passing that can send a strike partner in on goal. I think he could work well with Martins given time. As for why everyone slates Viduka… he’s excellent when he plays, but he’s old and heavy and injured. It’s not a lack of commitment, but father time has claimed this KEY player.

• Alex

Oct 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM

we need to give Xisco a decent chance , Ameobi has had years to prove himself as a top striker and failed . Xisco is young and must have something about him to play for the Spanish under 21 side , lets give the lad his chance

• iain

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:03 PM

jfk has got shola back to his usuall hit and miss self rather than the complete waste of space joke parody of a footballer he had become.

still not good enough to start for any pl team imo with aspirations of staying in the league.

you can through a lot fo players in our sqaud and find major weaknesses that they show week in week out when playing for us.

viduka/ameobi/smith/butt/geremi/cacapa are not good enough / usefull enough for sides with top 6 ambitions.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:42 PM

I think the lad has done well since he’s come back, scored goals, won pen, worked away on his own in the manc game, & generally put in 101% effort…All against a back drop of, no-doubt, knowin’ what most ‘fans’ think of him…
    …While he’s no world beater, he deserves a lot of credit…If he wasn’t a Geordie he probably woulda crumbled & give up years ago!..
    …Just keep doin’ what you’re doin Shola, scorin’ for the Toon!..

• Archie

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:13 PM

What a load of garbage.

Shola is not a premier league player.

He falls over more than he stands up,
    his first touch is appalling and put him in front of an empty goal and he’s more likely to hit the linesman than the net.
    2 goals doesnt make him a striker.

Even a blind squirell finds the odd nut.

If he is our best – then be in no doubt – we are absolutely screwed.

• Punk Skunk

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM

‘He falls over more than he stands up’- Blatent over-exaggeration!..
    ‘put him in front of goal & he’s more likely to hit the linesman(refs ass.)- Same again…
    …2 goals makes him top scorer in the games he’s played…

…Who said he was our best striker?..

…Yawn!..

…Nice to hear fans gettin’ behind our players when they score!..

• Ian

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Just shows you how happy some supporters are with rubbish, I hope Shola is bombed out in the summer. Yes he has scored 2 goals but how many has he missed or fallen over or caught offside, need I go on more.

He is Championship at best, lets face it how many other teams have tried to sign him in 6 years………………..STOKE. Guys dont get excited by him, we aint gonna finnish top 6 with him up front.

• Heavy hitters

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:52 PM

He wouldnt leave and appeared to reject all the offers he received so he hung around like a bad smell with his fingers crossed and lo and behold we are now in such a mess we’ve had to use him and now he’s talking to the media telling people his confidence is back and how well he is playing. I hope we can bring in some good experienced players and get rid of the rubbish and the has beens like Ameobi and Taylor then Butt, Geremi and Cacapa.

• Bill B

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM

Shola is not a premier league player.
    He falls over the ball spends more time on his back side
    his first touch is appalling and the times he is off side give young Nile Ranger a chance

• marhy

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM

how managers pick him is beyond me,when he plays we are virtually playing with ten men.no other team in the premiership would play him.

• pop

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Hi all, I’m reliably informed the fat man watched Tuesdays game from one of the boxes inside the stadium, I know he owns the club but he’s got a cheek dont you think?
    Gotta get Zog back in side and duff out!

• figsdad

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:04 PM

he’s crap i wish he would leave,,