Let’s Make St. James’ Park A Fortress Again

It seems like Joey Barton is just delighted to be back in the fray, and he cannot stop talking. Some of us also have that problem, especially after a Newcastle win.   😀

Joey barton – wants to make St. James’ Park a fortress again

Joey told nufcTV today:

“As a team we want to achieve something and this win is the first step,” “But there is a lot of hard work still to be done and there will no doubt be ups and downs.”

“But hopefully we can get some decent results and bring a bit of stability to the club and climb the table.” “It only takes two or three wins and you find yourself comfortably in the top half.”

“We have to make this place (St. James’ Park) a fortress.” “When the crowd come in their thousands, like they do every week, they become very vocal and this is an intimidating place to play.”

“I’ve played here with Man City and this is not a nice place to come when you’ve got 52,000 Geordies roaring their team on.”

“If they can guarantee us that then we can guarantee we’ll put that extra effort in.”

Good words from Joey, but of course that’s what everybody generally says – make St. James’ Park a fortress and in our successful days we alwats had a great home record and full houses.

We’ve dropped a bit off the full house since the debacle at the end of the transfer season, but it’s hard to criticize the fans for this. However, if the lads are willing to put in the effort, and we know Joe is still working his socks off, it would be great to get sell out crowds again.

But it’s hard being a Newcastle united supporter, as everybody knows, but we think we have an excellent chance of pucking up points in the next 3 games, starting with our toughest game at St. James’ Park next Monday.

We’d be happy even with a point form that game, but a win would be terrific.

• Toon Graeme

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I will continue to do my bit and got my ticket for the Wigan match yesterday so will be up there on the corner singing, cheering etc me balls off.

Its a good point that Joey has made. KK said the same and well we know what happened after that was said…..

Tough game on Monday but if the lads are focused. Midfield and defense tight and communicate then I think we can clinch a draw. A win would be the ultimate but am not getting any hopes up.

HOWAY THE LADS.

• Toon Graeme

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Wey hey I was first…. sorry this post is childish but so what 🙂

• ed_speed

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:08 AM

‘mon the lads.

regards,
    ed

• CC

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:18 AM

Your spelling is getting worse ed

• Macas

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:22 AM

What a load of tripe. Why should it take the crowd cheering for the players to put the required effort in? Barton wants to concentrate on playing football and staying out of trouble rather than making his mouth go all the time.

• ginkoh

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Hope everyone who live in Newcastle go to St’james park every match day. It feel strange that someone who live in town don’t want to go the match but who can’t even go to England want it so much same as me. I hope just one time in my life I will go to St’james park to see my belove club playing.

• 51times

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Macas – It’s ‘supporters’ like you that have made SJP such a misaerable place these past few years. The atmosphere hasn’t been anything to shout about save for derby day for a long time now, it’s unacceptable. If we’re really the best fans in the country why not show it with some vocal support?

• Macas

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:31 AM

51times – How do you know what kind of ‘supporter’ I am??! All I said was that the players should put in 100% effort regardless of the crowd. Not asking much really considering what they get paid.

• Stevo

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Macas – I know what your saying mate but Joey’s probably not the best with his words but I’m sure what he’s trying to say is that the fans up their game when they get behind them….12 man etc……

• Ganiyu

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:34 AM

I have a strong feeling of luck on monday.1-0

• Macas

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM

Stevo – Maybe you’re right, but I wish Barton would just keep his head down and let his football do the talking.

• Ganiyu

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:41 AM

And shola would score his 3rd goal of the season

• Stevo

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Macas – Very true! Think he’s a passionate player as well though. Physically and Verbally. Personally I think he’s looking to repay the club and supporters for sticking by him. I reckon he will be one of our players of the season.

• TOM L

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM

I Love wor joey ever since the arsenal game totally changed my opinion of him and let me accept him havin a second chance but never the less hes rightwe need to make sure we are winning at home and tryin to get sumthing away from home

• Ganiyu

Oct 31, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Joey suprisingly will be the player of the season

• Sav

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Joey said he’d be mute for a long while after his ‘rehabilitation statement’ little more than a week ago.
    Stick with the original plan Joey. Shut your gob and pack in the facile badge-kissing and chest-beating. We aim to be hard to please and want effort on the pitch whether there’s 50 or 50,000 turn up. Its a long road for Barton until
    he has earned the right to speak to the fans and urge us to turn up. He’s done as much as anyone to sicken people from bringing their kids, so please, will he ha’d his whisht. Be seen and not heard, son and spare us the cheerleader platitudes.
    By the way, there’s a good comment from Roy Hodgson on the web today on the scourge of badge-kissers. Refreshingly honest.

• Marat18

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Joey said the same about year ago:

• Ausgeordie

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:36 AM

I wish more than anything else I could be there but as an observer from Australia something has become obvious to me. The supporters need to show what ever attitude they want the players to display. The crowd at St James need to stay vocal. I have heard from live commentary that St James went very quiet after WBA scored their first goal. This was also when the players started playing nervously as I’m sure they could sense the nervousness of 50000 people around them. If the crowd stay positive or silent they can massivly affect the game and the way to make st james a fortress is for the corwd to expect a win up until the last second and for them to let the players know that with their support

• skin d

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:50 PM

It,s like a f##king library at times at st james’,i think when john hall took over,and the advent of all seating stadia too many middle class toss pot fans turned up.
    these pricks never watched football before because they were scared to come.
    a lot of lads i grew up with dont go to the games anymore because it,s too expensive.
    these lads were proper old time fans,they had sheer hatred towards all the other fans which whipped the atmosphere up to fever pitch.
    there is too many spoilt f##kers now,getting in,bring back standing and get the real fans back.
    bring back pissing in some poor blokes pocket when you,ve had too much drink,the sweet smell of tabs ,bovril,farts,lager happy days.
    the only way to make st james’ a fortress is to dig a moat around it,and stop the other teams getting into the stadium to play.

• skin d

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:55 PM

i think we could do with a new stadium,the lop sided nature of the place kills the atmosphere also.

• skin d

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:01 PM

you could sneak into st james’ in the 80,s,ower the top of that toilet at the back of the gallowgate,that old toilet was an corrugated iron roof and you just pissed against the wall.

• ToonRich

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Guys, if your read the statement properly Joey says about “we’ll put that EXTRA effort in” so he wasn’t saying the players need the backing to be playing 100%!!
    Some of you are telling Joey to shut up, give the guy a break, the interview was for our clubTV, whats wrong with him talking to them? I think its good to hear what the players think, and aim to do. I agree he needs to keep out the national press though.

• a kid from toronto

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:58 PM

why don’t they just give away the empty seats to parents with kids on match day? a few thousand kids will surly make more noise than if they weren’t there. i’ll be shouting all the way from across the pond i hope the players can hear me haha

• Marty-TOON RISING

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:14 PM

AUSGEORDIE!!!!!!
    It`s no wonder the crowd went silent as GEREMI came on the field and everyone thought OH NO HERE WE GO AGAIN…….

• skin d

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:17 PM

the smb,s web shop they are now selling mugs and framed photographs of the 2-1 victory.
    this has got to be one of the most pathetic things ever.

• ronjohno

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I went quiet at the West Brom game as well because I could not believe the substitutions.
    West Brom were pushing forward for the equaliser so who better to exploit the space behind them than Martins and Guaterriz. To see Geremi coming on is also enough to silence anybody.
    Side – tracking to the press.
    I have said before that I cannot condone anything Joey Barton has done off the pitch (and sometimes on it) but I am tired of reading (especially by Simon Bird in The Mirror) of reference to “jailbird” in what should be a simple match report. It is cheap pathetic journalism.

Tony Adams has just been appointed Manager of Portsmouth yet no mention whatever has been made about him being a jailbird,alcoholic or drunken driver.
    In fact to be honest I would rather have a smack in the face than have a ton of uncontrolled metal being driven at me by a drunken driver.
    Sorry to digress like that.