Duff Now Showing Top Form At Newcastle

Impressive Irish winger Damien Duff is now feeling the benefits of his first full pre-season for quite a while, as he has looked the great player we all knew he was, so far this season.

Damien Duff – playing his best football ever at the Tyneside club

The Ireland star had to combat injuries the last couple of seasons, but he has looked so impressive for Newcastle and Ireland this season, and has had great reviews from both Newcastle interim boss Joe Kinnear and Ireland national team manager, the great Italian, Giovanni Trapattoni.

Damien told nufcTV.

“Having a full pre-season was massive for me,” “I feel good and I’m happy to be playing.” “It’s the first time I have been injury-free and had a good pre-season in a fair few years and it’s showing.”

Duff was the Sky Sports Man of the Match for Tuesday’s 2-1 win over West Bromwich Albion, and Damien was delighted the club got all 3 points, which will give the lads a lot of confidence, even if we did just scrape through on Monday night.

But a win is a win.

Duff is hoping that is the start of Newcastle picking up some points in the league as he continued:

“A couple of wins and you can shoot up a fair few spots, but if you don’t then you can fall back in as well,” “We need to keep this little run going as we’ve only lost one of the last four.”

“Obviously Joe has come in and has steadied the team a bit.” “It was important to get the win against West Brom, especially after Sunderland.”

“Even though I’m not from the area I know what it means to the fans and we were bitterly disappointed to lose that game.”

“But it was good to get the points on Tuesday and we have to build on that against Aston Villa.”

It’s good that some of our players, like Duff, Coloccini, Taylor, Beye, Guthrie and Barton (to name a few), have started to show the form we know they are capable of under new manager Joe Kinnear.

And Damien is showing top class form, and we’re delighted ha has noiw been able to recapture his Chelsea form at Newcastle – keep it up Duffer.

• Tom

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Keep it up!!

We know Damien Duff can be a good player. We saw it at Blackburn, and also at Chelsea. He needs to stay injury free and keep improving on his current form! Show us why he was a bargain at 5 million.

• Malaysian Toon

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Go on then son. Score a few goals against Villa. Esspecially since I have you in my Yahoo Fantasy teaam. Haha.

• Mart

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:45 AM

I don’t think his performances merit articles like this one just yet to be honest. He’s playing better than he was but he’s hardly speeding up the wings putting pin-point balls in (or scoring goals).

Fingers crossed he keeps going from strength to strength, but I think such high praise is a bit premature.

• ziad

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:47 AM

duff is a decent player. however lets hope he can keep this injury free spell going!! he has been vulnerable lately…

• Kevin nichol

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I pay my money 2go2 st. James park and support my team! At times i am a harsh critic! I dont demand instant success, i dont believe we have a right 2win games. 4my money i wana see a bit of heart, desire and skill from these highly paid group of players we have at the toon! The last 2 seasons i hvnt been a fan of duff at all, i hadnt even seen glimpes of the player we saw in the past! But for me he has been our best player this year, he has proved me wrong, keep it up son, its a pleasure 2watch u right now

• toonjock

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:04 AM

duffs been less shit than usual but hes hardly been showing “top form”.just shows how low our standards have dropped over the years when we think duffs average performances are something to shout about

• Keegan Jnr

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Completely agree Kev

• Nick

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:18 AM

A bit ott there again Ed. I admit an improvement but a long way to go just yet.

• ToonKing

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Still think he’s a headless chicken ………

• Chris G

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:39 PM

I’m inclined to agree with Mart and Nick on this one. It’s great to see Damian back in form (and injury free!) at the moment, but I wonder how long it will last. My main worry is how Zoggy feels about being kept on the bench all the time. I wouldn’t blame the lad if he left in the next transfer window. It would be a terrible shame if he did – he’s one for the future, and let’s face it, Damian’s best years are behind him. Or am I being a bit too pessimistic?

• skin d

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:15 PM

his performances are an improvement,but hadly top form.
    he still tries to take on one man too many,he,s got to realise he is getting older and needs to modify his game.
    he has definatley lost a yard,and is guilty of trying to do more than he can.
    damien needs to start hitting more first time crosses,instead of taking another touch.

• micepie

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM

He’s looking a lot more industrious and effective, yes. It’s hard to choose if we have to play just one out of Duff and Zog. I certainly also want to see Zog bak in action too.
    Mind you, neither quite has that extra dribbling guile (Zog not yet). If we can get an extra 20 % flair from Duff to add to the harder work then we’re really talking.

• micepie

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:54 PM

Uhm, apart from the textspeak that looked an intelligent post Kevin but I can’t read silly abbreviated stuff!

• Kenneth

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Still not good enough

• Heavy hitters

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:08 PM

Ed, we dont all have the same opinions m8, when you say WE all knew Duff is a great player, you cannot speak for me, personally I dont rate Duff but he has been giving 100%.

• Frankieboy

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Never been impressed with Duff since he arrived. he didn’t do it at chelsea either.
    Why does he always have to beat the same man twice in the same manner as scott sellars. Sellars was more industrious and productive than Duff.
    Rather have Zog on the left.

• Winston P

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Can’t believe someone admitted putting Duff in their fantasy team!
    Oh well, there’s always next year!
    🙂

• Fans Should Own the Club

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:48 PM

I don’t think he’s quite at his top form yet. I remember he used to score a fair number of goals from the midfield for Blackburn and Chelsea alike. Also, his crossing is not that productive.

But he’s definitely running at defenders better.

And I think an underrated part of his game is how he holds up the ball and spreads it around to others. He occasionally sends a wayward pass, but generally not and with smarter passing play from others around him (like Jonas, who’s just coming back) he could really help the team coalesce into a better attacking unit.

Good to see him getting closer to his best though.

• Fans Should Own the Club

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Not to imply that Jonas is not passing well now, by the way. I just meant now that he’s back, I think he and Duff can help the attack get stronger once they start to get some game time together.

Jonas is really effing good.

• CHUCK

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:50 AM

Guess no matter what he does (Duff) there will be those who critisize the guy or are reluctant in any praise, no matter what they see on the field.
    The man is having a better season than anyone in the team.
    Must say you are a tough crowd to please.

• Nobby'sDad

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:55 PM

For God sake some posters on here want to wake up – from Chuck ‘ we must be a tough crowd to please’ !!!

What are you ON we’re BOTTOM of the league man, have you not noticed!!!!