Let’s Give Shola Ameobi Some Well Deserved Credit

With Mark Viduka out once again with a long term injury, Shola Ameobi has stepped up to the plate under Joe Kinnear, and has again started to deliver for his home town club.

Shola Ameobi – shown good character to come back

In the summer it looked almost certain that Shola was on his way out, but nobody seemed too interested when push came to shove, and come September 2nd he was still at Newcastle.

But since Joe Kinnear has come to Toon, he has shown full confidence in the 6’2″ striker, and Shola has obliged with some good performances for Newcastle.

Chris Hughton talked to the Evening Chronicle today about Shola:

“I have to say I’m absolutely delighted for Shola.” “He’s worked hard in training, and in the period of time I’ve been here, this is the best I’ve seen him.”

“He’s playing regularly, which is what he wanted to do, and for him it’s just about maintaining his form.” “With Shola, there’s no doubt he has ability.”

“It’s difficult for me to say what went on before I got here. I’ve been here since the end of February, and it looked like Shola might be leaving the club. But since pre-season, he has been excellent.”

“At the moment, he’s certainly giving the team something.”

We have to give Shola credit to have come back from the depths in the summer, and while he may not be everybody’s cup of tea, he seems to resemble Emile Heskey the more we see of him.

And he certainly gave Danish International center-back Martin Laursen a tough time on Monday night, that’s for sure.

Well done Shola, now for a couple of goals at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

• Bakerman

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:19 PM

The lad’s always had potential – yes he can be bloody frustrating at times – but when one remembers back to his spell under Glenn Roeder, Amoeibi was our saviour that season!!!

• Christoon

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:23 PM

ive never forgotten this lad put us in the uefa cup on his own under roeder all whilst carrying a hip injury. You cant count him out!

• Tom_Toon

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Ibrahimovic needs to learn from Ameobi 😆

• The real big AL

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:29 PM

barton and martins have hogged all the headlines after the last 2 victories but the way shola has played has laid the foundations for both wins. he’s been my man of the match. i can’t believe how many headers and flick ons he’s winning. come on shola son, keep up the excellent work! you are the perfect type of player to play alongside oba/owen when in this sort of form.

• Maxee

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Credit where it’s due.

Shola has lead the line with tenacity, pride and confidence for the last few weeks. His goal against Man City summed him up. A sublime touch (worthy of Ronaldo or Kaka) to make himself room between two defenders), followed by a complete miss-kick into the net!!!

• Bakerman

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:37 PM

I would anyday prefer Shola to Smith – fair enough Smith plays his heart out but Shola scores more given less chances – thats more important for a striker. I would think he also creates more by causing havoc with defences (somthing Smith cant do) and also providing a target-man for the team.

• DanToon

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:38 PM

He’s doing the same job Heskey does for England, he doesen’t get any credit for it coz he’s making goals for the other strikers. I Personally think Ameobi has no future at Newcastle if we are to improve!

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:43 PM

It’s amazing what a confidence booster can do for a player. I was gobsmacked when Shola did some fancy footwork in Mondays game (which did come off). I doubt if he would have tried it last season. I can’t wait for Joe to get to work on Smith when he is fit again. 🙂 Assuming he is still manager then.

• Bart

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:45 PM

I love his lovely SMILE when he came off for owen at the last match.
    I guess he was delighted or touched by the ovation from the fans.
    I remember when he came on at one of the last few games(i think is agaisnt everton), i saw a fan was holding his head in frustration and seemed shocked, dissapointed as we had just conceded a goal at the final minute.
    Surely he thought, Ameobi plays = Newcastle loses. No doubt, he had changed his ‘ equation ‘ now.

• Bakerman

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:46 PM

all i want for christmas is lassana diarra for newcastle – him & barton would be the heartbeat of our side and make us one helliva side to play against!!!

• Spyro

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Don’t need Lassana Diarra, we have Guthrie 😀

Seriously though, i think Guthrie will learn the CM position well from Barton. What a pairing that is going to be.

Ameobi has given us another dimension and i am grateful to him for that. However, he is still not good enough to hold down a concrete place in our side.

• scotty

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Here, here gola ameobi……..

• Bakerman

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM

You’re right about Ameobi giving us another dimension. After seeing how well Barton & Butt played together, I can’t help but imagine what a proper holding midfielder like Diarra play instead of Butt. Barton, alongside a proper midfield general will result in a solid core for the team to play around, esp since our (already excellent) wingers will be given more freedom to attack attack attack

• Ex-pat MAG

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Oh for gods sake, Shola has had a few reasonable games, so what!! he has also had a multitude of lazy workshy matches previous. All of a sudden he has finally fulfilled his self proclaimed potential to fill Alan Shearer’s boots, I think not, he is not good enough. I am glad that his performances have improved as it will allow us to get more money for him in January.

• Tom_Toon

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I wouldn’t call Diarra a holding midfielder, he was for Chelsea, got more attacking at Arsenal and at Pompey you could almost class his as an AM.

• CHUCK

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Living dangerously Ed., theres a hard core of anti Shola people, as there are anti Duff and Shea
    people who constantly criticise every game they play.
    Nice to see some rational fans praising these guys.
    Especially Shola, a local lad who gives 100% and has done a decent job, I am sure he appreciates it.

• CHUCK

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:26 PM

Comparing Guthrie with Diarra is the equivilant
    to comparing a Vauxhall to a Ferrari.
    Diarra is a great talent, would love to see him in black and white, someone is going to grab him from Portsmouth now that Arry`s gone.
    At present he could`nt be described as a DM, but he has the talent to fill that role.
    He could easily chose just about any team if he decides to leave Pompey.

• toon head

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:31 PM

we need sumone like riqulme

• Whumpie

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:32 PM

I hope Shola reads this. He’s had (and sometimes earned) some unbelievable stick in the past, but he’s also earned this.

As someone who’s not been able to get to a game since his renaissance, I’d like to know from someone who’s an SJP regular: off-camera, is he leaning on defenders the way Shearer did? I’ve always explained to people who don’t get it about Big Al how you had to go to a match to see how he destroyed defenders when the ball was nowhere near him. If Shola’s doing that, then he’s learned something from the master and it’s no wonder we’re winning games.

Of course, it’s too soon to judge Shola (Ex-pat MAG) – but this is the first decent run he’s had without injury, and I’m hoping he just continues to improve. I’m not sure about him yet, but I’m really hopeful.

• Danny

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:32 PM

I’m sorry, but what are you taking?!?!
    Ameobi did nothing, silch, nada, zero against Villa. He fumbled the ball away, and never looked like he was at a premier league match.
    Yes, he’s had 2 good games, IN 18 MONTHS!!
    C’mon, this is embarrising. Ameobi will get credit if he continue his form, which plummeded at Villa.
    My God, get real…

• Oli Stirling

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Shola was always one of those players who I really wanted to do well, and willed to succeed (local lad & nice bloke etc) but he always seemed so slow and clumsy and I ended up wishing him great success but at another club somewhere.

Now I’d be a bit miffed he left for Stoke or Norwich or something. Well done Shola, my son!

• beyethegreat

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:34 PM

toon head we do the problem is riquelme wouldnt come

• beyethegreat

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:36 PM

mo seems positive about newcastle is it wishful thinking or is there a chance he may stay

• Ageordiedoonsooth

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:43 PM

Danny What game were you watching on Monday. Ameobi had a very good game. He worked really hard & gave their defence a really hard time. Good god some guys on here are so negative, espcially the local lads like Ameobi & Taylor. At last we look like a team with everyone working for each other I think the fans should do the same.

• Whumpie

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:45 PM

Bit harsh, Danny – but I’m wondering if you, like me, watched the game on TV? I’m starting to think that the people giving the praise are those who got to see what he was doing off-camera.

A lot of the stuff you see Shola doing on telly ends in stepping on the ball, falling over or generally doing “the eppie giraffe” to little effect. It’s infuriating,and I ended up shouting at the screen a lot. But I get the impression that we’re just not seeing the whole picture. Literally.

Perhaps he’s the reason Martins and co get so much time on the ball? He certainly seems to spend a lot of time with two defenders on him, steadily knocking three bells out of them with his many-jointed limbs…

Just a thought.

• Whumpie

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:52 PM

That came out wrong: there was plenty of good stuff to see from Shola on the TV coverage – but perhaps it wasn’t as positive on balance as seeing the whole lot.

• Davy C

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:59 PM

CHUCK – I totally agree with both of your posts. I think that Duff has been excellent recently and was astonished to come out of the ground on Monday after such a great win to hear a group of fans berating Duff for lack of quality and effort. Some people are just born with their glasses half empty.

As for Shola, the lad has been tremendous. Bakerman and Christoon sum it up. He has had potential, every manager apart from BSA has seen something in him but he’s come back from a long standing injury, stepped in when JFK has had to call on him and has been superb.

He’s shown strength, passion, good aerial abilty against some quality defenders, excellent touch and awareness at times and hasn’t been afraid to get stuck in and defend from the forward line. I don’t think we could’ve asked for anymore.

Just hope he keeps it up and gets amongst the goals at the weekend. 🙂

• yemozone

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Ameobi is tryin now but he is slow and not a good goalscorer. if jk can give owen/martins partnership a chance, it will work.

• CHUCK

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:07 PM

Did Shola learn anything from Shearer, suggest you ask Laursen, who ended up on his ass numerous times and took a pretty good elbow to the head a couple of times.
    Do you think the ref. was discussing the financial meltdown the numerous times he wagged his finger at him.
    Its the little things that go unnoticed that make him valuable.
    I`m sure niether of Villas CD`s are looking forward to playing against him any time soon.

• A.L. 9

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:27 PM

I must say I’ve been impressed with him the paste few games. However with Owen coming back I hope Martins isn’t pushed out of the side because of Shola’s size. I hope and expect that Owen will start on the bench against Fulham, he has only played about 1 minute football over the past couple of weeks and we cannot risk him pulling a daft muscle, also neither Shola or Oba deserve to be dropped.

However Owen cannot start on the bench week in week out so 1 will have to giveway, and that has to be Shola in my opinion, in the first half he was menacing to the defenders because we were shunting bulls upfield at him, however in the second, when we actualy passed it across the ground and started to play good football, Martins outshone him. I have a feeling Kinear will switch Martins to the bench however as it’s been clear so far that he prefers to have a big man up front.

Shola makes great back-up as he clearly doesn’t want to leave the club at any cost and I think thats what he should remain, flog Smith and keep Shola as a big man on the bench incase we need something different.

• ed_speed

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:31 PM

barack obama

regards,
    ed

p.s ‘mon the lads

• murphy

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:54 PM

I think all three will get used depending on who we play. if we’re playing away from home against a team that close us down and don’t let us play then shola would be very usefull. I think all three would work well, perhaps have shola sitting deep, lob the ball up to him, he collects, drags a few defenders his way then flick it off to martins or owen to make the shot, from watching shola these last few games he’s done this well.

I think that’s where people have misjudged shola, he doesn’t play pretty or make amazing runs but what he brings to the team in terms of being a target man, freeing up players, the little flick ons, and harrasing defenders he’s more than usefull.

• tripp

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Shola embodies the progress that the side has made since Kinnear took over. He’s not a top striker, but he’s playing an important role and doing it pretty well. The goal he scored against Citeh was immense, regardless of how well executed it was.

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:11 PM

My attack force

–Jonas–Barton–Guthrie/Butt–Duff

–Owen——-Ameobi———-Martins

Butt and Guthrie is a tough one

Guthrie is good but that anger needs to be controlled and Butt had a great game on monday. 3 Advanteges from the strikeforce

1)Ameobi center so owen or Martins can play passes and he can lay them off or hold up the ball and give it to Barton.

2) Martins and Ameobi link up well so they can work together past defenders(Ameobi does have some skill) then Ameobi runs in the box as well as Barton, Owen and Jonas so we have a chance their

3) Evryone feeds the ball to Ameobi so he can keep the ball, pass it and get layed off, like this

starts like this

————-opposing keeper———

—-Defender—Defender—Owen

—Oba————Ameobi————–

and finishes like this

—-Defender——-Ameobi—-Owen
    -Defender—-Oba————Defender

but by this time the formation is like this the ball should be in the back of the net.

• ende

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:16 PM

His recent progress is good. It will make him easier to deal away next window.

• belfast toon

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Am i the only person wondering why Dennis wise still has a job ?

If we are not buying anyone in January why do we need a recruitment department?

or am i missing something???????

• Turkish Magpie

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Dennis not so wise is only here because of Ashley!

but he’s still doing his job looking for young stars and i cant argue he found some great people but he still is mostly to blame for Keegans departure!

but knowing Ashley, Wise probably has something in his contract saying Ashley has to pay compensation if he sacks him

• Tom_Toon

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:40 PM

We need more attacking players full-stop. We need more pace.

We should be looking at Elia playing for FC Twente tonight, very good young player.

• belfast toon

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:41 PM

wise did do a good job your right mate but he did only what he was told. I like the players he brough in

i might be turning this the second night i have defended him