Joe Kinnear Fed Up With All The Speculation

Joe Kinnear has done as well as anybody could, since he took over the hot seat at St. James’ Park six weeks ago.

Joe Kinnear – getting fed up with same old questions

In the way the club has been run since Chris Mort left,  Joe arrived at Newcastle International Airport, and wasn’t met by anybody and hailed a taxi to get to his hotel.

And it seems the Newcastle Board’s non communication with the fans also extends to our interim manager, since Joe seems to know very little about what’s going on with the sale of the club.

Communication is so important to a successful business, or successful anything, so one thing we’ve been really surprised and disappointed at, is just how poorly Mike Ashley has communicated with the Newcastle fans during his short tenure.  We’ve had very little idea, in his 18 months at the club, what he’s been thinking.

The fans of course are his customers, and it works better if you treat them well.    😀

But it’s a huge failing when you are the owner of a football club, especially one that has passionate supporters, like Newcastle United, and hardly say anything. Chris Mort was doing all the communicating when he was here, and in retrospect Chris did a great job for the club, but Derek Llambias has been worse than hopeless in the job, since he took over.

Joe talked yesterday before the trip to Fulham for Sunday afternoon’s game:

“I am enjoying the job, just getting fed up with answering the same questions,” “I have to keep winning. The results have been good and we have played well. I love football, I love training, I can’t influence anything but be successful.”

“If I don’t prove myself, I won’t get the job. At the moment I haven’t had seven games yet.” “I will know about my future after the Chelsea game (November 22).”

“Nothing has been told to me since the last chat I had with them.” “If I am fortunate enough to get an extension or get the job for a longer period of time, then I don’t want to be left in the lurch.”
“At that point I want to know”

“(a) how much I can spend and
(b) do I have to sell to generate my own funds?”

“But I don’t know the situation. Since I have been here I have seen it written that 26 managers (have been tipped). Everyone is having a pick – everyone is saying something different about who the next manager will be.”

If Joe keeps winning games he may be surprised at the considerable local support he will have generated on Tyneside, because he’s a likable and passionate guy.

But he’s right the speculation is endless – will Keegan be restored, will Shearer be offered the job, or will another world class manager be hired?

And why was John Carver, who now manages in the MLS with Toronto FC, at the game on Monday night, standing alongside Alan Shearer?  Will those two take over with Alan as manager and John as assistant manager – two local lads, which we’re sure the new owners, whoever they are, will need to have at the club in various capacities.

The speculation is endless, and we’ve just added some new speculation with Alan and John.   😀

We were over the moon at the end of the Newcastle game on Monday night, for many many reasons, not just because we won, but also the manner in which we did it. The lads fought all the way, and played some good football, and after Oba’s fantastic and crucial first goal, we completely bossed the game.

As far as Joe is concerned he is right that the more wins he gets, the better it is for Newcastle and for himself – and if doesn’t get offered the Newcastle job, he’s done more than enough to earn a management spot at some other club. We’re sure not many people with argue with that.

What do you think about all of this? Comments welcome.

• Nick 69

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:20 AM

why was carver at the match on monday night? BECAUSE HES A NEWCASTLFE FAN AND WANTED TO WATCH THE MATCH

• ronaldeano

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:20 AM

I think Joe should be given until the end of the season. Things are going well atm and we dont want another spanner being thrown into the works at this stage.

If a new manager came in straight away with new ideas and tactics, we would be back to the point when KK left.

Joe should me given the time to do his thing at NUFC and be left alone until the end of the season. No more transitional periods please 🙂

• bigpeaovtheweab

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:30 AM

me 2 joes doin a fab job job of gettin the boys going again let him stay

• Guinea Mag

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:35 AM

JFK has done an excellent job for Newcastle United and hope he’s rewarded with some kind of position at the club when/if the new owner arrives……..

Well done Joe; keep up the good work!

• Ausgeordie

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:36 AM

I like Joe he had nothing to lose when he came here and it has given him a certain freedom knowing that if he did a good job he would probably get an offer somewhere else in the lower leagues…thats if we let him go!

I think Ashley should secure him to an end of season deal or until new owners arrive. At least that would end the speculation and Joe is unlikely to demand more considering the circumstances he was brought here under. I also don’t see Joe getting any money out of Ashley.

• Xsico golden boot

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Joe the man atm and as long as he keeps winning noone can argue and he does seem passionate as we are about football and seems to enjoy managing our club

• TERRYHIBBITONTHEWING

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:41 AM

If Joe keeps getting good results and generates some momentum in our league standing. Also, he is getting excellent performances from certain players, who we thought weren’t up to wearing the shirt.If he can maintain this, then why not give him the job until the summer and see how we fair??.We’ve had big names before and got nowhere.Would just like to add as much as I love “Special K”, if he were to come back as manager I don’t think that would be the answer.What I would throw in the mix though, how about Keegan as chairman !!

• Nick 69

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:44 AM

joe has done a good job so far but hes not the man for the job, he doesnt play attractive football, and to give him to the end of the season would be stupid as he would bring his own players in in jan and spend money then a new man would come in and have to start again with his own players, 90% of temporary managers who do well and are given long term contracts end up failing

• Nick 69

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:46 AM

plus i will never forgive him for bottling the makems and tryin for a draw

• Northumberland Magpie

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:13 AM

How about KK as director of fottball win win situation

• Northumberland Magpie

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:14 AM

sorry meant football

• NUFCC

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:28 PM

I get a feeling that if kinnear gets an extension then next year is a write off as well. Same thing is going to happen next year. Most of the teams do good at the beggining of when an interim is hired. Start of next season we will be in relegation fight and he will get fired and same thing happens again. He is not the answer also he looks like one of Mike Ashley’s pets.

• Punk Skunk

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:42 PM

10 games in seems a little previous to be callin’ the season a relagation battle like…Try 20/25 games!..

• CHUCK

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:52 PM

Guy is`nt even met on arrival , no one talks to him, has to take things in hand (typical Ashley management style, to which we have become accustomed)
    Then having managed to motivate the team go on a winning streak at the same time be the PR dept. by default, what is his reward.
    You guys want to get rid of him, not only that you want either Keegan or Shearer to get the job.
    Well KK had the job, but he f****d off and left us in deep s**t and Shearer he has been offered the job numerous times and turned it down.
    So screw him too.
    Joe took the job that no one wanted and under impossible conditions has managed to stop the rot and motivate a team that was going through the motions.
    What exactly does it take to satisfy you lot ?