Kinnear Is Good Manager But I’d Never Heard Of Him

The 25-year-old Argentine International was scouted in the summer by Tony Jimenez and Dennis Wise, and although both are very much in the bad books with Newcastle fans right now, they have brought some decent players to the club this year.

Jonas Gutierrez – terrific signing for Newcastle United

Of course Tony Jimenez resigned from his position last month, but it’s good in a way we still have Dennis at the club, because he can help Joe Kinnear with the transfer dealings in January. That’s assuming both are still at the club at that time, of course.

The Guardian has an excellent interview today with Jonas, and he started by talking about the time on Friday, 5th September, when Keegan resigned from the club for a second time. We still don’t know what was behind all the argument going on with in the club at that time.

Jonas said:

“I was shocked,” “I hadn’t expected it at all but these are the things that can happen in football.”

Jonas was at the time in Argentina, recovering from his broken collar bone, when the news broke of Kinnear’s appointment, as Jonas continued:

“I had never heard of him,” “But I looked at the internet and found him there. I wanted to know who he was, so I did some reading up on him. I’ve enjoyed working with him so far. He’s a good manager and we’re trying to do the best we can for him.”

Certainly Jonas has been just great since he’s returned to the team, and certainly Joe has a very high opinion of the Argentine International.

Gutierrez then turned his attention to his new Argentine manager, Diego Maradona, who it turns out he will meet for the first time before they play Scotland the week after next.

Jonas continued:

“Maradona was my childhood hero,” “I was too young to watch the 1986 World Cup but I’ve seen all the films and I watched every game in 1990 and Maradona was fantastic.”

“I’ve never met him before and it will be a little strange for all the players but we just have to think of him now as our coach and do our best for him.”

Gutiérrez has been named in Maradona’s first Argentine squad, for the friendly against Scotland at Hampden Park on November 19th.

Jonas continued:

“It’s fantastic,” “Everyone in Argentina is excited because this is a really good opportunity for us to win the next World Cup.”

Funny, that’s what a lot of people are saying right now about the England side, having won our first four qualifying rounds rather convincingly.

• dougnufc

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Great player

• Tom1664

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Absolute legend already. I just pray he stays with us as long as possible.

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Ed, after all the bile chucked at Wise, it’s a little strange to see a comment saying that it’s good to see him still at the club. A lot of people are going to get on your back for it, but I for one applaud your attempt to put counter perspective to his role at the club. Personnally I don’t like the guy but as you rightly point out he has been party t some very good signings at variou levels and that should be recognised by us and not spit as a reflex action everytime his name is mentioned.
    On a different note I was all set to sit up and have a session on the blog last night but there seemed to be so many comments about fellow bloggers being pri*ks and other negative comments, I decided I didn’t want to play. I have no problem if people don’t agree with me (although I don’t think I was the target in this instance) it would be sad if we all thought the same. And I would agree there is some nasty and ill considered things said at time, either as a wind up or meant. I either ignore this stuff or reply with humour or a good argument and would suggest others do likewise. Bottom line is we all want our team to do well and I do mainly enjoy the craic so even if I don’t post as often now, I still follow it, Warts and all.

• paul ward

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Dennis wise is mint

• UTD111

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Sorry but Wise caused the problems at United and this was on top of years of “history” with United fans.
    He will always be a divisive figure and the sooner he goes the better.

• BT9MAG

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Bill F – I agree with you mate, Wise is there to do a job and no-one can deny that Jonas Gutierrez (his signing) proves he is doing his job well…

Granted a lot of things went on that shouldn’t have and I really don’t like the man, but at the end of the day Wise is there to scout out and sign players – something he did and did well!

• UTD111

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Wise also sold Milner so his mate Ken Bates could pocket £2m sell-on fee, and was responsible for such earth shattering signings as Xisco and “the invisible man”. He’s also the one going around touting Owen to the highest bidder at the moment ahead of the January transfer window.

• Marty-TOON RISING

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I reckon we should bring back JIMENEZ after the club is sold as he has an eye for a player and great contacts……..
    Jonas is a model player for us,better than Ginola and Robert

• normski1930z

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:33 PM

i dont care what anyone says i dont and never will like or trust nookie bear…end of.

• keep oba

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:24 PM

dont hate spanish league players…just hate the ones we used to bring in. Jimenez obviously had a good pulse on the Spanish league and went after some very good players. I did not have a problem with that. Even if Keegan never heard of Jonas (which is not a good sign), I for one would never be angry at someone for bringing in top flight talent as Jonas obviously is. Especially for only 2-9 million…whatever it ends up getting sorted out to…its all cheaper than he is worth. Jonas has a motor in him that I dont see from alot of players….He has unrelenting speed especially once he gives up a ball to get it back or make a fine tackle from behind.

Also…I must say…Barton had some quality 30m hard through balls to Oba in the Villa game…one Oba ended up scoring on, and the other Oba snapped and turned firing over the net. With Barton and Jonas it looks like those two could be set to provide devastating passes to the box, something that has been DEARLY missing the last few years.

• YongFC

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:36 AM

anyone here know which link to get the O.Martin first goal highlight agains villa match? I only manage to get the second goal highlight.

thanks

• Guinea Mag

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:17 AM

JFK has done an excellent job in the short time at NUFC; long may it continue……

I don’t agree Wise was responsible for selling Miner; this was driven by Milner’s transfer request plus a directive from the top; ( i.e. MA) as 12M is excellent business as all players have a price.

Hopefully we can sell Smith and Viduka in the next transfer window and bring in replacements that perform week-in, week-out!!!!

Who should we buy depends on what happens with a certain Mr. Michael Owen, but I prefer he stays!!!! However, we need a young RB, (cover for Beye) experienced CB, CM and maybe a replacement for Owen.

• steve14

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:57 AM

keegan only wanted one player danny guthrie and where is he on the bench wise and jimenez brought in jonas and collochini probably our 2 best players keegan was never going to work second time round keep jfk low profile manager seems to be the way foward