How Do Newcastle Keep Owen At The Club?

There is starting to be good competition for places at the Newcastle club, and that will only increase with news yesterday, that Mark Viduka is back in training again, from his Achilles problems.

But another worry which is lurking in the background, is how exactly do we keep Michael Owen at the club.

Michael Owen – difficult situation at Newcastle

Even club captain Michael Owen is unlikely to start today against Wigan Athletic, because of the good form being shown by both Obafemi Martins and Shola Ameobi.

Because Michael has just come back, we don’t think Fabio Capello will include him in the England squad for the game in Berlin, Germany, next Wednesday evening.

Chris Hughton talked about the squad yesterday, during his press conference for the Wigan game today:

“All we can do is hope we have the best players available at any given time. Anything more than that is out of our control.”

“Michael could not have done any more than he has on the training pitch. He was back from injury a few weeks ago and he has put himself in a better position to be involved in the team. It’s up to us.”

“I accommodated both Oba and Michael and we played with the both of them last season. What Joe will do is pick a team for each given game.”

Of course there are lots of rumors about Owen, and there’ll be even more as the January transfer window approaches. Various clubs, such as Chelsea and Aston Villa, are said to be interested in taking Michael Owen in January, or in the summer, when he will be a free agent.

He would be a great loss to the club, and we have a sneaking suspicion that Michael would be more than willing to stay on Tyneside, if only the club can get itself sorted out, and make him a good offer.

But if Ashley cannot get a buyer by January, things could remain uncertain through the summer at least.

Chris continued:

“Aston Villa interest is new to me. It’s the norm now. It will be one club today, another tomorrow and there will always be talk of your best players interesting other clubs.”

“That’s one thing you always have to deal with.”

Joe Kinnear, Chris and the rest of our coaching staff are dealing with a lot of things right now, and they have done an excellent job, all of them.

But Mike Ashley needs to sort things out, so we can at least offer Michael new terms to stay at Newcastle United.

But if Mike cannot sell the club soon, it’s hard to see how he can do that.    🙁

What a way to run a football club.

• Cyprus-Toon

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:57 AM

I see Viduka is now getting fit just in time to be shown the door in January.. lol
    As for Owen, I’m neither bothered if he stays or goes, either way we won’t have to pay his rediculas wages for him sitting on the bench!!

• ELFER

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM

I must admit, that there is in my view a better chance we can keep owen than martins!!

why? Well, I read the interview in the magazine and I must admit it scares me…no words about that he loves the club he plays for. He’s saying more about friends who live in manchester and london (arsenal) than he says that he is in love with our famous club. I think there’s a chance we loose him. 🙁

Owen might feel he has to give something back to this club and proove himself.

What do you think? And your opinion on this, ED?

• Hazza

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:06 AM

Get rid of Viduka and Owen and bring in Defoe and Goran Pandev.

• AO

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:07 AM

I think you should sit him down with a good hypnotist who could convince him that newcastle is a team going in the right direction and he has a real chance of winning trophies. I know these hypnotists arent miracle workers but one helped me give up fags.

• Will

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Credit to the current coaching staff, thanks for keeping you heads down!

• Bakerman

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:24 AM

ELFER, I disagree. Martins, despite knowing what a downturn we’re in looks like he thoroughly enjoys it at Newcastle, he loves the fans who he knows adore him – and he wants to be a legend here. Furthermore, I think he’s on a long-term contract – and right now the bigger teams aren’t exactly tearing down our doors looking for him. No, I think Martins will stay (I certainly hope he does because to me, he & Jonas are our most valuable players).

• Shot Bru!

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Elfer
    i think the current board can’t wait to offload Owen, if they’re still in charge by Jan i reckon that’s exactly what they’ll do. Owen probably isn’t gonna start today either which is unbelievable he is our best goalscorer and player. The first name on the teamsheet should be Owen, every other team involved in this seasons relegation battle would do the same.

• Cheeseburgerhead

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Give him a new contact on the same money he’s on now, that would keep him. Yeah.

Yeah!

• hitman

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:02 AM

AO,i see your still on form,what is it with you and us geordies,did ya mam get gang banged off a bunch of geordie lads,is that why you resent us,its true all southern boilers love the geordies.

• hitman

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:04 AM

lads does anyone really care if owen goes,i dont

• steve

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:06 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised to see martins want to go, if he’s ambitious he’ll want to go to one of the big four in prem or one of the top teams in europe, however I get the feeling a lot of managers see martins as a luxury player who doesn’t add a lot to the team, certainly his improvement from first season has been limited.

Only problem is that we’ll get nothing for Owen so Ashley might decide to sell Martins to anyone who offers 15 million, he coulds then pocket 10 million and use the rest to give owen a contract (new owners will end up picking up tab)

• listie

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM

AO – didn’t realise you used to bat for the other side!

“but one helped me give up fags”

• Keith

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:40 AM

i would like owen to stay , prefareable on less money , but it wouldnt break my heart if he left, he is a great player and all but a massive drain on resources on the club

• ObaFan2

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:46 AM

AO “but one helped me give up fags”

Difficult to believe as I’m sure you still enjoy the odd fag or two!

• mistryman

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:49 AM

lol good one listie 😀

• daveyboy

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:51 AM

If he goes, he goes!
    It’ll only be to a club daft enough to pay his ridiculous wages for a striker that can’t get in our 1st 11 in anycase so that speaks volumes at the minute!

He is a decent player when fit but how often have we said that over the last few yrs now?

Maybe its time to start a fresh for him and for the toon?

We could give either the kids a chance or as you have rightly said with the way shola and martins are playing its going to be hard to even get back in there or break in the 1st team in any case so we really need to look at better than what we have, and looking at it owen isn’t up there anymore, or so it would seem????

Either way what will be will be and I’m not that bothered I’d he stays or goes, but one thing is for sure he does owe the toon a lot for what and how they have stood by him in injurys etc

• hitman

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:55 AM

ive heard AO mams does tricks in soho….

• selly no skill

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM

speaks volumes that owen cannot break into the england squad.he is living off his early reputation and should not on the past 2 seasons form warrant his wages.we offered him a contract of the same money 2-3 months ago and he said thanks for the offer i will look at it.we cant do any more than that.he owes us big time.

• kevin Nichol

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:05 PM

ED…….FOR F@CKS SAKE…WHY CANT YOU PUT A BLOCK ON THIS HORRIBLE LITTLE C@NT AO FROM BLOGGING ON HERE????

OPINIONS FROM FANS OF OTHER CLUBS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME; BUT THIS PRICK COMES ON HERE TO DO NOTING OTHER THAN BAD MOUTH OUR CLUB. ITS REALLY STARTING TO PISS PEOPLE OFF (HIS OBJECTIVE IM SURE)

DO SOMETHING ABOUT ED AS ITS YOUR SITE AND YOUR CUSTOMERS HAVE A PROBLEM

• JP...from the Rock

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:11 PM

We should keep them both!
    make Owen sign a new ontract and at worst sell him on in the summer or the next and get something in return at least. If he goes now we don’t get a penny. As for Martins leaving…I can’t see it happening. He would go if he is pushed out like Milner was. He loves the club, the place and the fans…quite frankly I Do Too 😛 He may be rough round the edges and misses more than he scores BUT he has talent and immense potential. If he really is as young as his birth certificate suggests then we have a 20M+ striker on our hands…all he needs is a bit of work in some tough coaching-to help improve his finishing and positional sense and perhaps his first touch, confidence and regular football and he will score the 20+ goals a season for us no doubt.

• JP...from the Rock

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:15 PM

In his first season Martins scored 17 goals for us if I am not mistaken, pretty impressive for his first season in the EPL.

• paddyq

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:15 PM

hey does anybody know of a good stream for todays match ? not looking good so far…

• Brutooooon

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM

i dont mind if owen goes away.overpaid wages which can provide 2-3 better players….

martin is better than owen

fabio capello is right not to choose owen for england…

• SuperShearer

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:38 PM

Owen’s off I reckon, he’s very media savvy and has said nothing about staying or going. The one thing keeping him here would be regular football, which he wouldn’t get at any of the top four, and the possibility of becoming a Geordie hero, which would mean little to him. I think he’ll go to either Chelsea, Liverpool, or maybe Man Utd (if they don’t sign Tevez). I’d love him to stay as he’s quality, he may have lost pace but his reading of the game, and his finishing is second to none. He’s also our Club Captain, but I wonder if that means anything to him. He won’t get the same wages anywhere else I don’t think so if we offer him the same contract again (without the get out clauses) then he’ll sign…..but why would Ashley do that?

• ELFER

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Well, voyeur is an admirer of Martins and they are a top 4 team…so if he knocks on the door we might loose oba.

He’s exciting, no doubt, but sometimes he also drives me mad on the field. If I had to make a choice I would rather start owen.

• hitman

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:48 PM

AOs mam takes it in the yahoo….

• NorthernPaul

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM

@Kevin Post 18:

I totally agree. Its getting really tedious now.

I just wish everyone would ignore him. I’m fed up of reading the blog and I cant stand the lack of football chat. Its pretty much a slagging match because of one toss pot.

I welcome debates with other fans, but our visitor is only here to wind people up, and they bite far too easily.

ON TOPIC:

Personally, I’m not fussed whether MO stays or goes. He’s a cracking player, but he has never shown any loyalty to the club in his press interviews etc. He has never said he wants to stay, even before the club imploded. If he doesnt want to be here then let him go. There is no point keeping a player who wants to leave.

I would like to add that I agree with a comment above that Oba is a luxury player. If he could play half as good as he did against Villa every game, then he would be a great player. As it stands, he is very wasteful and although he shows heart, I would drop him for Owen today. If he played in a decent team, I have no doubt he would score a lot of goals though, so maybe we should build a team around him.

Shola is on form, and fair play to him after all the hatred from the ‘fans’ he has put up with. I predict he will score two today, in 3-1 one win with Colo getting the other.

• ObaMartins

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Michael is a player we must keep at Newcastle, he is top notch when fit and can score you a Goal just when you least expect it….Easy solution on how to keep Michael Owen >>>Get New Owners in and Give “Sir” Alan Shearer the Managers job!!!!!!

• NUFCC

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:00 PM

i think joe kinnear will be staying till the the end of the season which i dont like and also ashley will be here till the end of the season which would mean no contract for owen. cashley is a money grabber and has used kinnear perfectly to calm fans down and see the season out and try to make as much profit as possible. whenver kinnear talks to the media he says what he has been told by cashley.

• Sav

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Wasn’t Owen getting a terrific goals to games return when playing behind a front 2 before he got his injury?
    That was hailed as a KK masterstroke, even by those who gave Keegan no credit for tactics whatsoever. I didn’t hear anyone complaining about his wages or saying we’ll manage just as well without Owen then. Fickle!

• hitman

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:10 PM

look lads owen has showen more loyality to england and not the toon,get rid of him the twat is a hasbeen….lets get ranger in…

• Wallsend Will

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Any new owners would very much wish to keep Owen. As for the current lot I fear they will take advantage of the chance to £5M, save on his wages and buy half a dozen players from the Championship.

• simon376

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I cant understand people saying that he has shown no loyality to nufc, he signed a contract and hasnt as far as we know, asked for a transfer, he’s still here, that seems loyal to me. If I were him I would go, the place is a mess, just got to hope we get bought out and a new contract offered asap.

As for his money, yes its a lot, but who wouldnt take it if it was offered to you? He gets us goals when he plays. If we can keep him, he will score, worth every penny if you ask me

• THE BEAT.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:23 PM

kidnap owen and tie him to a chair,i think in the current climate it will be the only way to get him to stay.

• Geordie Jayne

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:55 PM

simon376 – totally agree with you

• Punk Skunk

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Keep Owen!..

• boater

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM

simon376.. I agree. What do people expect from Owen as a sign of loyalty? A Shearer tattoo on his forehead? He is a professional – and a very good one. Every decent side has a balance of calm pro’s and the chest-beating natives like Taylor. Who cares F-F-S?

However, Kinnear has built a side – in Owen’s absence – which looks pretty balanced and whilst I’d like him to stay, it isn’t the catastrophe it would have been a while back when our game was about Geremi, Beye and Milner finding him with hopeful punts forward. Surprising, bearing in mind JK’s reputation from Wimbledon.

Trying the 4-3-3 that KK honed may be adopted by JK (especially at home)…. and playing with one winger.

Beye/Colo/Taylor/Enrique
    Guti (Duff)/Butt/Barton
    Owen/
    Oba/Shola

• tommy

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:49 PM

i’m new to this thing can anyone tell me if i can watch FREE live football on here please…cheers

• Nick

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM

It won’t be a great loss to the club. The only think we’d lose is his ridiculous wages when he hardly ever plays. Can’t wait to see the back of him and Viduka. They’ve bled us dry for very little return.

Good call from Hezza Pandev & Defoe young and rarely in jured quality players.

• D.C.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM

Doesn’t seem like anyone is terribly interested in keeping him, shelving contract talks and leaving him on the bench until he comes and saves our ass week after week.