Bramble Heaps Praise On Newcastle United

A good interview with Titus Bramble today, in which he says he always knew Newcastle United were a massive club, while he was on Tyneside for 5 years, from 2002 until 2007.

Titus Bramble – always knew Newcastle were massive club

Wigan Athletic defender Titus Bramble admits he still regrets leaving Newcastle United, but of course he had no choice when Sam Allardyce came in and didn’t elect to renew Bramble’s contract.

Titus talked to the local Newcastle Journal today:

“I still regret leaving Newcastle,” “I didn’t want to leave, the new manager came in and decided he didn’t want me. It was one of those things really.“I loved playing for the club and I would have been happy to still be there now. People perhaps don’t realize what a massive club it is, but once you have played there, you realize. It should be in the top six every year and probably in the Champions League.”

“Yeah, I had my ups and downs. The highs were great, but the lows, well they were low. I seemed to have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the fans and there were some unpleasant moments, but on the whole it was a very happy stage in my career.”

“I was a young man when I went there and I left four years later knowing I’d played for one of the biggest clubs in the country. I’d played in the Champions League and I’d played for a manager like Sir Bobby Robson who always believed in me when others didn’t. That is some compliment for a player.”

“Nobody makes mistakes on purpose, and everybody does make mistakes. Sometimes it is a lapse in concentration, sometimes it is bad technique, but it happens to everyone.”

“Strikers miss open goals, but they can get away with it. But if defenders or goalkeepers make a mistake, the ball is in the back of the net. That’s the position we play in. That’s the way it goes.”

“I’m not bitter about the treatment I received. Sometimes I felt as though it was a little harsh, but the fans have such high expectations. They do take it out on the players sometimes, but in the main they were great. I had a lot of support from them while I was there as well, people perhaps forget that. If anything I regret not being able to do enough to get a new contract.”

It seems like Titus has matured somewhat since his time on Tyneside, and it’s always nice to hear our former  players heaping praise on the club, especially in these very difficult times.

And to his credit he had a solid game against his old club on Saturday, but did he really have to score that late equalizer?   🙁

• Danish_Magpie

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:57 AM

I don’t think fans ever disliked him as a person; I know I didn’t. Nor did I feel his potential was not good enough. His problem is, and always will be, lapses of concentration and making far too many and far too grave mistakes.

Good luck to you, Bramble. I don’t miss you playing for Newcastle, but I have no problem with you either.

• broon ale

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:59 AM

there is nothing I can say about Titus that hasnt been said a million times before.

Its nice he took some fond memories with him.

Thats all most of us have now these days. fond memories.

We have relegation written all over us! 1 point from fulham and ten man wigan!

Terrible!

• Geordie Jayne

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:01 PM

broonale I have to agree with you there…..Sad sad times here at the Toon

• Darling27

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM

I’m not surprised!!! If my boss paid me shed loads of money for doing a s***t job for 5 years i’d heap praise on him!!!

• 51times

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I remember that interview where he slagged the club off. Make your mind up Titus.

• Ever seen a mackem in Milan?

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Its like when Roeder was here. We have played well against the better teams (Everton, City and Villa) then struggle against worst ones (Fulham and Wigan)

• scottish mag

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM

a few of us from scotland, 5-10 ppl, we are wanting to come down to see nufc play tottenham on 21st of december and are just wondering where the cheapest seats are with an ok view, not too high up.

• UTD111

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM

My most abiding memory of Titus was when I was driving up to Four Lane Ends, Benton and he pulled alongside me and tried to cut in cos he was late for training.
    I didn’t let him in……hope being late for training wasnt the last straw with Allardyce otherwise, well, it was all my fault that Titus was sold….
    I feel awful now…….

• Punk Skunk

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Aye everseen…
    manure also!..
    …Typical!..

• Spyro

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:48 PM

It’s called killing with kindness. bramble will know that the last person Toon fans want to hear from now is him.

• THE BEAT.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:00 PM

i know titus was prone to mistakes,but what i saw were other facets to his game were good.
    his passing and distrubution were first class,he could pick out a fourty yard pass no problem.
    his pace was top notch.
    strong as an ox.
    good in the air.
    it is just a shame he couldn,t put all these things together,because he really did have the tools to be a top player.

• broon ale

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:16 PM

scottish mag, they are mostly the same price. just ring the box office and see what they can offer!

• 51times

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM

scottish mag – Check the official website.

• keith

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:44 PM

he cost me 500 euro so dont really like him at this moment in time! but always nice to hear good things about the club

• Ganiyu

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM

Does anyone know the meaning of bramble

• CHUCK

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Bit of an enigma, had great abilities as mentioned, strong in the air , excellent passer ,
    strong on the ball, good tackler, apparently Sir Bobby saw something he liked, just can`t understand the lapses in certain games which prevented him from being one of the top defenders in the league.

• Heavy hitters

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Some peoples face fits and others dont. He makes terrible errors and rightly gets slated for it but so does Taylor yet he’s God in some eyes. Titus was as good a long ball player I’ve seen but gets out of position and thats when the slapstick defending came in, just like Taylor. IF he had a world class CB next to him to keep him in position he could be a good defender IF that is !

• Ganiyu

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:17 PM

Bramble means error

• AndrewNUFC

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Bramble is a freak

• reillers

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:18 PM

I’m sure he’s a nice lad, and no one means to make mistakes, no one does it on purpose..but that doesn’t mean that Bramble wasn’t one of the worst defenders-players I’ve ever seen in the Premiership. He can be such a dope. I don’t know about ye, but everytime the ball went to Bramble, I closed my eyes and hoped and prayed for the best, that he’d manage to clear the ball.
    He made wee Given’s life in goals a living hell. He tested him more then the opposition did in any game.
    It’s harsh like, but it’s true. Lets not pretend that we all didn’t cringe when when Bramble went near the ball.
    We did.
    He’s about the only player who gets cheered by the opposition when he comes on, because he’s that bad.
    He’s that bad, people say “He almost had a Bramble moment”
    He’s one of the worst players in the Premiership, it’s harsh but it’s true.

• bramble!

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Anyone remember the bramble dominated drogba vs chelsea and drogba got floored and just looked at titus and just shook his hand, that was a game titus played well in!

• T-Nem

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:52 PM

Congrats Bramble, very dignified and honourable attitude.

All the best

• Leo

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:06 PM

good to hear the praise from titus bramble, it cant help the club enough to have past players making such a good reference for us,

just like king sib did recently

• Toon_Ksk

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Bramble should play as a striker. I bet he can score more goals than Ameobi. I know Ameobi is working hard and improving BUT Bramble really has natural goal-scoring ability. At both ends.

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Lets not forget, that like Shola he was carrying a bad injury whilst he was with us. The big problem with his mistakes was that he never seemed to get away with many of them and this was often down to poor defensive orginisation rather than overt bad play. I was (possibly) one of the few who was sorry to see him leave. Although I cannot claim to be spotless in the critical aspect.

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM

A “Bramble” is the term often used for spiky vegetation such as the Blackberry Bush.

• Witters

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:02 PM

My lasting memory of Titus Bramble is seeing him getting nutmegged from 3-40 yards against Forest in a pre-season friendly at the City Ground…..

• Witters

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM

Make that 30-40 yards….goddamn hands like cow tits!

• garyfret

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:14 PM

bramble was a bad player but there was a few games were he looked world class

• clinta

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:28 AM

He’s made his fair share of mistakes at the back for wigan this season too though, so while he may of matured as a person, not real sure his matured any as a player.