Dave Whelan – Ashley Just Too Greeedy

Dave Whelan, the Wigan Athletic Chairman, has an interesting interview in the Times today, and he slams Mike Ashley, the Newcastle owner.

Dave Whelan – Ashley too greedy

Joe Kinnear, seemed to be very low key after Saturday’s disappointing result, and seemed even sad after our draw at home to Wigan Athletic.

Maybe he knows the club will be sold and he will soon be leaving as Joe said:

“The club is almost sold, so I don’t know what future I have,”

But there are also growing rumors that Ashley may want to stay in charge of the club, which is scaring the bejeebers out of Newcastle fans everywhere.

Dave Whelan talked today about Mike Ashley:

“I don’t think he has thought things through and I don’t think he really appreciated just how passionate people are up there about their football,” “It is very difficult for someone who is not a Geordie to run that football club and I said to Mike Ashley, ‘You are better off just getting your money back and stepping away.’”

“You can’t sack Kevin Keegan and expect the fans to get behind you. He will never be able to repair the damage between himself and the fans. Do that and you are down the pan. I told him, ‘You’re gone.’ Even the taxi driver who brought me up today was saying, ‘When are we going to get rid of Ashley?’ ”

Ashley bought the club for about £135M, and then said he added another £100M to reduce debts and is alleged to be seeking a price of around £280M, which would be a profit of around £35M and just over 14%.

Whelan continued:

“If Mike Ashley will sell it for the right money, he will sell it next week,” “Now, is he being greedy? Yes.”

Mike should be asking around £250M, and he should be willing to go down from there.

Indeed, if he had asked for a decent price to start with, this complete nightmare for the club, Joe Kinnear, the players and the Newcastle fans could have been over some weeks ago.

But the two US buyers, who are  said to be still interested in buying the famous club, will certainly not pay over the odds, that’s for sure.

• Spyro

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:24 AM

old man bitter is still talking then eh, lol. He must be angry knowing that whenever we want his manager we can just take him lol

• Geordie Jayne

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:36 AM

He actually said it to Mike Ashley’s face so good on you Dave.

• kk forever

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:42 AM

spyro the spineless

• WesToon

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM

@ Geordie Jayne // Nov 17, 2008 at 10:36

Agreed Lass,Dave might be bitter,but he speaks a lot of truth!!

• Lost prophet

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Sad old c**t with an axe to grind.I’m not interested in your waffle.Ashley did him over and he’s never forgot it.

• bowburnmag

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I used to like Dave Whelan but he’s using our situation as a way to get one over Ashley. Pretty underhand for a man I thought had integrity. I take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt. Any ‘conversations’ he’s had won’t be the most reliable. That aside, is it just coincidence that many photos of Ashely show him in pensive mood and looking a little shell-shocked throughout his NUFC tenure? I think he’s been on the back foot since day one and was never going to recover after underestimating what it’s like to run a football club and what passionate supporters are after. I also think once we got personal, it was only ever going to get ugly and in playing hard ball he’s depersonalised our club. I also think he wouldn’t baulk at spiting us, as long as it suits his needs regards money and convenience. I think that’s a measure of Ashley the businessman man and just how much of a mess this club is in. By the way Ed, did you really write – “Maybe he knows the club will be sold and he will soon be leaving as Joe said:
    ‘The club is almost sold, so I don’t know what future I have,'”? Great bit of reading between the lines! Just messing.

• Sav

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM

If he bought for 135m, paid off another 100m (so we are told…) and wants 280million, thats 45million profit, or nearly 20% profit.

I reckon any squad additions and paying off Allardyce would come out of TV and ticket sales (and profit from Milner).
    Ashley’s tanks will go rusty if he leaves them lying around on people’s lawns too long. get a move on and get it sold you greedy get.

• Will

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:40 AM

And that changes the truth how? ^^^

• tyneside tommo

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black. Lest we forget..Ashley is the one who stitched up Whelan and his other retail mates for hiking up the price for Man U tops.

He’s been sticking in the knife ever since. Unfortunately, Ashley’s behaviour as Toon owner has played into his hands. Frankly, I can’t stand either of them.

• The Entertainers

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:15 PM

Clearly no love lost between the two……..would take it as gospel !

• Punk Skunk

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Couldn’t care less what this divvy says…Shut ya’ bloodclot!..

• listie

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I think this is just sour grapes, and tactics to put off anyone snooping round Bruce, lets no also forget Wigan are sponsered by, and heavily in bed with JJB, and with the crap they are in who do you think bought a massive stake in them, yes Mike Ashley. lol lol 🙂

• Punk Skunk

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:36 PM

d whelan…d wise=spooky!..

• Toon_Ksk

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:21 PM

I respect the way Dave Whelan treated and backed Paul Jewell through the difficult times they had at the club.

• Barcode

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Look North reckons a sale is imminent and possibly by the Boro game.

Anybody got any friend of a friend of a gran ?

Also i’d prefer magnificent Marlon to Shola, but thankfully i’m not a season ticket holder anymore so i don’t have to watch.
    Barca are doing great though.

We should avoid relegation as the premiership is a poor league and many others worse than us. But do we have the bollox???

• Toon Graeme

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:01 PM

There were mentions of this on Metro Radio news (sale) all day today.

Hope its true.