It’s All Happening For Newcastle’s Shay Given

Shay Given may well be captaining Ireland in today’s friendly game against Poland, in the absence of the injured Robbie Keane of Liverpool.

Shay Given – all happening for Newcastle goalkeeper

The 32-year-old Newcastle star goalkeeper will be winning his 91st cap for Ireland today as they try to extend their unbeaten run under their great coach Giovanni Trapattoni, to six games.

Given was asked today about the future of Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear and Shay said:

“He has done well so far.” “I don’t really know the background of what is happening at Newcastle because no-one has really told us anything.” “As far as I’m aware, the club is still up for sale, so I don’t know if he is going to be here long-term, short-term or what.”

“At the minute, we have been told short-term. He has got to have credit for what he has done so far, but it would be hard for me to sit here and say he should be the manager or he shouldn’t be the manager because no-one knows where the club is heading. But he has done a very good job so far.”

And Shay’s Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has said he has spoken freely to a number of Italian clubs about Shay Given, and just how good a goalkeeper the Newcastle player is.

Of course Given has been one of the best Premier League goalkeepers for a long while now, and he’s twice won the award as the best Premier League goalkeeper, since signing from Blackburn in the summer of 1997, for £1.5M – a good buy by then manager Kenny Dalglish.   😀

Trapattoni has made no secret of his admiration for the player as he told the Daily Mail today:

”I speak to two or three big managers who are friends and they ask me if they think given can play in Italy with them,”

“With his personality and quality, I feel he is as good as Gianluigi Buffon.”

Of course Harry Redknapp of Spurs is the latest manager who may try to lure Shay away from Tyneside, but he has little chance of that, but that will not stop Harry from at least trying in January.

Shay had a tough time during the last two seasons because of his horrendous groin injury, but he is now back to his very best, and he is certainly the greatest goalkeeper ever to wear the Newcastle jersey, and has been a terrific servant of the Tyneside club for 11 years now, that’s for sure.

• wayneo009

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:39 AM

SHAY OR CECH ??

• The Alchemist

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:41 AM

If AC or Inter came in for milan and Given wanted to go.. I would give him my blessing and thank him for all he’s done for us oever the years…

If we sold him to spurs… i think that would be the final straw to me… Let him go to win proper trophies but why would he go to spurs?? Not a step up at all.. They are in the Sh** as much as we are at the mo!

• ELFER

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:51 AM

I think Shay Given’s own words say it best (and I also rate him on the same level as gigi buffon!):

“A lot of players’ loyalties towards their clubs gets questioned, but I’ve been very happy from day one at this club.” “I just want to get the club back moving forward again.”

“The fans, and the whole place, deserves to be back challenging again with the big boys at the top. We’re a bit off that, and we need to get back there.”

• Fergie

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM

The Alchemist: Spot on. I am one of his biggest fans, and have proclaimed for at least 4/5 years that he is every bit as good, if not better than Buffon/Cech/Casillas. Probably the most consistent player in the world. Yet I would despise him if he chose to move to Spurs. They are in exactly the same boat as us, and as his mate Robbie Keane can testify, Spurs is not the place to go if you want trophies. (Carling Cup fluke being the obvious exception…)

• OBAMARTINS

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:02 AM

I THINK GIVEN SHOULD GO WE WUDNT MISS HIM ONE BIT WE GOT HARPER AND WE CUD BUY STOKES KEEPER ON THE CHEAP SORENSON

• wayneo009

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:10 AM

OBAMARTINS !!!!!!!!! what are you talking about
    how can you say that after all he has done for the club !!!

• kk forever

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:15 AM

OBAMARTIN u talking complete shite man wot are u on crack or smack

• ObaMartins

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:15 AM

wayne take little or No notice of that Oba…its obviously a smoggie!!!!! <<<<The one and ONLY ObaMartins

• wayneo009

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:29 AM

sorry oba !

• UTD111

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:40 AM

You can imagine Ashley and Wise promising their mates at Totts that they’ll sell Shay to them in Jan – cockney mafia indeed.
    And as we know, the dwarf is touting Michael Owen to the highest bidder.
    Neither of those things amaze me. What does amaze me is the people who come in here supporting Ashley and his cronies.

• lesh

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:41 AM

forever // Nov 19, 2008 at 11:15

re OBAMARTIN u talking complete shite man wot are u on crack or smack…… he’s cracked and it must be the ‘air’ down there!

• Whumpie

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:52 AM

There is no way Shay would go to Spurs. The only way he’d be tempted to Italy would be if he thought he was past his best and fancied a bit of a cushy number for the rest of his career – and he’s on fire at the moment, so that’s not going to happen.

He’s never given any indication that he’d go, and has repeatedly re-affirmed his commitment to the club. So relax, lads – he’s staying.

I feel sorry for Harper, though – he’d be in the England jersey (although on the bench with James in good form) if he’d been at any other club, because he’s better than most of the stoppers in the premiership.

• reillers

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:26 PM

The wee lad wouldn’t like Italy the weather, Irish lads, they’re dying of the heat in 20 degrees.
    We’re not meant for it, we’re not built for the sun. We haven’t really seen it for 3 years in Ireland. It’s rained straight for the past 3 summers.

He wouldn’t go to Spurs either, it’s a smaller club, worse players, less chance of winning a trophey, which at the end of the day is what he wasnt’s and deserves.
    He’d go somewhere where his mates are. Though it’s been brought up so many times, I can’t see him going to Arsenal, because it’s so foreign, there’s no Irish lads in there, there are barely any English lads in there.

I just can’t see him going to anywhere like that, where his mates aren’t and that sounds stupid like but he loves playing with his mates.
    Arsenal wouldn’t suit him.

• Spyro

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:35 PM

If Given is sold to Spurs it shows Ashley is just trying to make money back before he f**ks off.

Same with Owen, if both those players are sold to Spurs it basically confirms that Ashley does indeed support the North London club.

• ObaMartins

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Lets Get the Legend “SHEARER” in as Boss, kick Boggle eyes Wise to the Curb along with a few if not all of Big sams buys then sit back and wait for Who ate all the Pies ASHLEY to sell the Club !!!!!Come on ALAN this Club needs YOU !!!!

• reillers

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Ya, if he goes to Spurs it’ll be purely money based by Ashley and Co.
    On another note that hasn’t been mentioned, delighted te wee lad got the captaincy, he’s a fantastic captain and he deserves it, even if it’s for a friendly.

• CHUCK

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:59 PM

If Shea goes I can predict a further drop in attendance, the man has been an asset to the club since his arrival.
    He has had the opportunity to go to some pretty good clubs over the seasons, but has chosen to remain at St. Jamse`s and had it not been for him our won lost record would look be a lot different.
    I dont care about MO, never showed he gave a damn about the club, but if this is a case of asset stripping by MA, it may in fact be his costliest mistake and I would seriously think about it if I were him.

• Jóhann

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:16 AM

Mark my words. The day Newcastle enjoys success is when Given leaves.