Kinnear To Meet With Ashley This Weekend

Joe Kinnear is to meet with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley after the Chelsea game on Saturday.

Joe Kinnear – wants job through the end of the season

The fate of the Tyneside club is still unknown, and while most Newcastle fans would not object to Joe being given the manager’s job through the end of the season, that would mean that Ashley is still the owner of the club, and that would not sit well with many of our fans.

Joe talked to the Newcastle Journal today:

“I’m looking forward to the meeting because I think everyone would like some clarification regarding the takeover situation,” “Hopefully I’ll hear how far down the line the sale of the club is and if there is going to be any significant progress in the next couple of weeks.”

“As far as I know due diligence has started, or is about to start, but I’m not in contact with Keith Harris directly so I don’t know. This meeting will give me the chance to find out what is going on and what my situation is going to be.”

“If the sale isn’t as far down the line as we thought then I think it’s only right I ask for a contract until the end of the season. “I know why Mike doesn’t want to give me a two or a three-year contract, and I understand that. If I’m on a long-term contract it could jeopardize the sale and I don’t want to do that.

“The most important thing is the club, not my personal situation, but I think it is in the best interests of the team if I am given some long-term authority with a contract until June or something like that. It will clear up a bit of the uncertainty.”

“If the club isn’t going to be sold before the end of the year – and it’s not certain that it is – then I’m also going to give the board a list of players I want to sign and list of players I’m willing to sell in January.”

It’s surprising that Joe is still so much in the dark about what is happening, but there aagan we don’t expect Mike or the Board are saying much to him either – certainly they are telling the fans nothing – about anything.

It’s good that Joe is making up a list of players he wants to sign in the January transfer window, and those he is willing to let go, because at least somebody is thinking a little longer term for the Newcastle club.

But we’re still a little surprised that nobody really knows for sure whether the club will be sold or not, at this late stage.

If Mike Ashley is going to announce he will retain ownership of the club through the summer, he had better be willing to say that he will invest in the January transfer window, and be willing to communicate with fans exactly what the position of the club sale is.

Communicating with the Newcastle faithful is something he’s never been willing to do in the 18 months he’s owned our club.

• Waddle's Mullet

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Too late ed.

They met last friday.

• samthecat

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:43 AM

If Mike isnt going to sell then there will be a collective groan across Tyneside but Joe would in those circumstances be entitled to expect a contract to the end of the season. As for his list of transfer targets-they will go in the same shredder that Keegans did.
    Ashley has 3 choices:
    1. Sell the club without making a profit on it and do it now.
    2. Leave it until the end of the season hoping we stay in the Premiership but not investing in January.
    3. Investing in January to ensure we stay in the premiership and his asset-this football club retains its value.

• rooks

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM

trust me, the future will be bright(er) after this weekend

Yes we’ll get hammered by Chelsea, but then I predict 1 of 2 things happening based on the recent rumours & revelations & my big hairy crystal balls

EITHER

New owner revealed at the weekend, Shearer made manager, we start strengthening the team in Jan, no-one leaves (well that we would want to leave)

OR

No new owner revealed, Ashley extends Joe’s contract until the end of the season, Ashley offers Owen a new contract, Owen leaving will depend on a) whether any offers come in from an ambitious team and b) whether they can afford his wages. If he does leave, with Viduka coming back to fitness & Shola rejuvenated (relatively speaking obviously!) Ashley takes a chance, choosing not to invest in a striker but he will ‘invest’ in a couple of cheap players to strengthen the team (DM & a defender) to stop the natives from getting too restless.

So the way I see it we’ll either end up flirting with Europe or finish the season in lower mid table mediocrity

• Ronnie Chip-Pan

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Hope your right Rooks, about option A) that is. Shearers what we need and NOW!! Please MA, do it now!!

• Spitfire

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Rooks
    Nice try but thats not an EITHER OR situation, There are so many variables in each prediction that neither will happen.

• ObaMartins

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:58 AM

It’s surprising that Joe is still so much in the dark about what is happening <<<< What is suprising about that ED ??Has half the problem not been Ashley’s lack of Communication with his managers and Newcastle Supporters ? to see wise back at the Club and in the papers looking at players for January makes my stomach turn…he was the other half of the PROBLEM along with his friend in high places at the Club…GET them OUT!!!!!!

• Alex

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:59 AM

My prediction is the club is not sold before Saturday . Kinnear meets Ashley and Ashley refuses to give Joe a longer contract and keeps him on a rolling monthly one . Result -Joe resigns and we are in the shit up to our necks
    God i hope i am wrong 🙁

• kk forever

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:02 AM

get urselfs down to the bookies and back germany to win 3 1 or 3 0 and win sum cash for xmas 20 to 1 both

• jim

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:05 AM

Here! is anyone gettin sick of this trapottoni tosser telling our players to leave? cos i am! its not the first time either! someone needs to get him telt to shut his trap!-ottoni! well haway its not on that man,international managers in britain telling players to leave etc-its interfering big style!

• kk forever

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:06 AM

oh and by the way we;l draw 1-1 at chelsea beat the smoggys 3 -1 and hammer stoke 5-0 owen hat trick

• Benidict

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:06 AM

For those of you interested, Michael Owen’s house is up for sale with Sanderson Young. Those of you who interested, it is based near Tramwell Woods just off the old airfield. My colleague is lead sale representative, please note, I’m not scare mongering or implying anything, I just thought I would share this information you.

• ELFER

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:11 AM

off topic: As we desperately need a midfielder, wouldn’t it be a good idea to sign Stephen Appiah who is without a club currently?

• lesh

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:11 AM

C’mon Ed, you know the score in that due diligence occurs before any sale/ purchase is formalised .

Normal and sensible practice is tho keep things under wraps until the buyer’s comfortable with the realities of the business on sale – thus giving the buyer the opportunity to agree price/ terms etc, further negotiation or heaven forefend in this case, pull out of the deal.

At the moment, silence is music to my ears.

Fingers crossed and if you’ve a god, pray to him/ her/ it for some early good news.

• Nick 69

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:12 AM

ed- u say not many people would object to joe kinnear being given a contract until the summer, well i for one would object and pretty much every person in my friends and family and everyone from my local etc would also object. If he stays til the end of the season we WILL be playing champiuonship football next season, everyone is gettin far too carried awayt with joe thinkg hes done a marvelous job when he really has done an average job at best

• kk forever

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:14 AM

jimcudnt blame given if he left he one ov the best keepers in the world and has stood by us for over ten years and sum fans still slag him off mate

• lesh

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Re Owens’ house for sale…. it’s not surprising given the time he’s been keeping benches warm – maybe he’s found a one he can sleep on as well!

Hey, Joe, isn’t it time to give him a start…. like at Chelsea?

• kk forever

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:15 AM

well sed nick69

• Mark-o

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:15 AM

if we get a point at Chelski i would bear my @rse in fenwicks window next to oliver!!!!

I’ve heard a lot of rumors this week, but, as always they’ll never come true. I’m not going to even say what i think should happen coz i’ll just end up dissapointed!!!

England 2-1 Germany!!! Newcastle 0-2 Chelsea!!! Sorry lads im a realist!!!

• Mo's House

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:16 AM

here it is for sale you can see its his by looking at the pool table room….

• lesh

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Alex // Nov 19, 2008 at 9:59 , I hope you’re wrong to but in being a pessimist, there’s be no disappointment and maybe a surprise!

• kk forever

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:17 AM

OBA MARTINS UR RITE THE RAT IS SNEAKING BACK IN TO THE CLUB

• RichardG

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:17 AM

Is that the one that is on there for £2,950,000.

• Mo's House

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:17 AM

here it is up for sale, you can seeits his if you look at the pool table room…

• kk forever

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:20 AM

MARKO ENGLAND CUDNT SCORE 2 IF THEY HAD 15 PLAYERS ON THE PITCH MATE

• David_Barber

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Alex: when i saw Keegan, get the players-playing the way they were! I thought…Keegan’s got this in the bag! Surely MA will back him, and everything is hunky-dory…I wrong was I ! Worst of all-for a manger who is not renowned for his defensive style of play-he made us play as a unit (the best I’ve seen)! So…back to your point-I think your right-MA is focking clueless!

• ELFER

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Hehe “Mo’s House” 🙂 nice try…but this was already used when rumours came up that duffer will leave and then the same house was “used” to make the story a bit truer 😉

Well, this is not MO’s house! But nice try 😉

• kk forever

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM

DAVE BARKER UR RITE MATE WE NEVER LOOKED LIKE LOSEING AGAINST MAN U

• kk forever

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:25 AM

WOT SCORES DO U THINK FOR THE GAME TONITE

• ELFER

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:26 AM

I hope england will win, but I fear a draw. 2:2

• ObaMartins

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:27 AM

here it is for sale you can see its his by looking at the pool table room<<<The pool room has Chelski,blackburn,rep of Ireland shirts hanging on walls…Duff ?? Certainley Not Michaels house..Mackem

• ELFER

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Exactly ObaMartins, exactly 😉

Maybe he writes for some london newspaper?

• ObaMartins

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Who is this KKForever ? a Klu Klux Klan member ???

• THE BEAT.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:29 AM

all very depressing reminds me of the bad old days of willie mcfaul,mckeag etc.
    just so sad to see how far we have fallen,when we have to rely on the ex crazy gang manager.
    a few year ago it would have been inconceivable that kinnear would be given the hot seat.
    no we are being run by a bunch of cowboys,who are running us into the ground and turning us into the new leeds united.

• toontony

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Director of football Dennis Wise is at the centre of a local media PR campaign in a bid to smooth over his continued involvement as the club’s transfer chief, should owner Mike Ashley fail to sell.

from the mirror today

• David_Barber

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Nick 69: It is hard to even talk about Kinnear and NUFC in the same breath! But I think Joe has earned his place by just being there-when others wouldn’t! As for relegation-well as long as MA is in charge-it’s very possible! Kinnear is a joke-but it is no good getting on his back! He is a big man-and he will try his up most to keep us up! We do not want to rock the boat even further (as if you could!)! This is the first time I’ve managed to even go there-properly!

• ELFER

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:33 AM

What about Stephen Appiah?

• Alex

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:34 AM

lesh- I’ve been praying for months mate , Your right about the normal & sensible practice bit . What is troubling me is that all of a sudden the poison dwarf has been seen at reserve matches and seems to be involved in scouting activities . Add to that Kinnear is making a wish list of transfer ins and outs , it could all mean that the Yanks have pulled out . If they have not already pulled out then why has the dwarf suddenly reappeared ? If they have pulled out then lets hope to god that Kinnear gets a long term contract & transfer funds for January . If that does not happen i can really see him walking , followed by a mass exodus of players .

• THE BEAT.

Nov 19, 2008 at 10:34 AM

toontony,got a nasty feeling it could all be done and dusted,i think we could be in for a bad few year at newcastle.
    mike ashley is like a limpet stuck to a rock,and you know how hard they are to get off.

• kk forever