Ever-Present Coloccini Enjoying Life At Newcastle

One of the big successes in the Newcastle side this season has been Argentine center-back Fabricio Coloccini.

Fabricio Coloccini – ever present at Newcastle – but bad hair day

Fabricio Coloccini played very minute for Deportivo last season in Spain, and has so far played in every minute for Newcastle United this season, and he insists that he has no intentions of missing a single minute of action this season.

Of course the worth of a player to a team is not only how good he plays, but how often he is available to play -and Coloccini is worth an awful lot to Newcastle, and is turning out to be a terrific buy for the Tyneside club. Far too many players these days pick up niggly little injuries and are not available for many games during a season. Not so with Fabricio.

Coloccini has settled in well at Newcastle and he is a consistent performer for the Newcastle defense, and also seems a big game player, who has his best games when it really matters.

But Fabricio is slowly getting used to the rigors of the Premier League and will only get better as the season progresses.

Fabricio talked today about his resilience to injury:

“I simply try to play the best I can – and never get injured!” “I don’t want to miss any football and I am very happy that I am able to play nearly all of the time.”

“Match by match, I know more about the English Premier League and I am very comfortable with it.” “For me it hasn’t been a problem getting used to the English style of play after my years in Spain.”

“It is different, certainly, but it has not been a problem.” “I am enjoying it all the way.”

Newcastle seemed to have Coloccini on their radar screen for a couple of years before finally singing him last  summer, to the delight of most Newcastle fans.  Few would argue that he has turned out to be an excellent buy for our club, and could well be a stalwart in Newcastle’s defense for years to come.

We hope so anyway.

• MURPHY

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:27 AM

he’s been excellent this season. He’s been involved in a few mis haps but they’ve never really been his fault, it’s normally him covering for other peoples mistakes and getting caught out. Him and Jonas are excellent and I hope they’re happy at newcastle. When you think of the squad a few more decent players and we’ll have a VERY good starting 11. We’ve got no problem with strikers in my opinion, no problem with wingers, an excellent defender and right back and some quality in center mid and a world class goalkeeper. A strong defensive mid, another class center-back, and warnock, we’ll be alright. fingers crossed for a new owner who’s willing to spend a few $$$$ and we’ll be laughing. Come on the toon!!!

• NE1

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:28 AM

With a rock next to him – we’d be sorted in the middle.

But for the best worst haircut – he’s champions league standard.

• macn0ble(Finland)

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Best buy we have done in years, and only can get better. Something we have searched for a LOOOOONG time.

• Alex

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:34 AM

its a pity Faye was not kept , he would have made a strong CB pairing with colo . Still cant belive we let him go to stoke

• Ausgeordie

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Glad we have him. Would have liked to see him alongside Faye but then again he has hardly made a name for himself this season.

• Ausgeordie

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Given
    Beye,Collo,Bass,Enrique
    Jonas…guthrie…Butt…Duff
    Owen…Shola

I think this is a good team actually. We know Jonas will come off at 50 or 60 mins esp having played midweek and duff will go right bring on zog on the left. Shola is going to get a go as Joe loves the long man but hopefully he will play Owen and bring martins on early in the second half. If he does not play Owen we have little chance of him staying with us.

• wayne

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:51 AM

spiderman coliccini two of our best buys for years who brought them in ?any answers! if so maybe they can find a few more?

• Stardust

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:00 PM

I know we didnt sign enough players – but what we did sign were great – in my opinion the growth and quality was being introduced the right way – January is only a few weeks away and then the summer again.

Hopefully the Mob wont whip themselves into a fenzy of WOW signings again.

I liked the way things were going, shame we wont get to see the fruition of the plan…….or maybe just maybe theres another twist yet to come…………………

• Sav

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Howay, Stardust, stop being such a smartarse. There aren’t two sets of fans, The Mob and the Cognoscenti (are you their leader, or just their spokesman?). If you don’t want to be part being a fan of the club, albeit with some whose views differ from yours, you know where the door is.

• Stardust

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Beg to differ Sav – although there certainly are two trains of thought on the issue – and i’d rather be labelled in the Cognoscenti camp than the Mob Boycoutts and Marches.

Ive been loyal to the club throughout this debacle. Its NUFC not Knee Jerk Hissy Fit FC. Fans have responsibilities too and when knee jerkitis takes over and a detructive rampage takes over followed by months of pessimism – then I would actually question whether the MOB are fans or just misguided morons.

Again you’ll have your view that I am a disgrace but I retain the right to my opinion just as you have the right to have yours.

• 51times

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Sav – Exactly, dullards like Stardust are free to go and watch Chelsea or somebody else if they don’t like the actions of the majority.

• Stardust

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:26 PM

51Times – with you being president of the Dullards Association I take it as an honour you accept me into your ranks.

I am off to Debenhams – what type of bedsheets do I pay my fees with?

• Spyro

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Stardust

I agree

• Timberhead

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I dont believe it was the actions of the majority. But those demos have caused to end of problems and all because a man walked out on us again. The window had shut and he could have stayed to try and work it out but no the toys where flung out the pram. WE DONT KNOW much of the whole story but we demonstrated and the MOB got what they wanted and know there is a good possability of players been sold Championship players coming in and a relegation battle all year.

Did you get what you were after?

• Punk Skunk

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Totally agree Alex…Why let Faye go?..
    …Don’t remember KK sayin’ owt about it, so can only assume he wasn’t bothered…Der!..
    …Please don’t say he wanted to go back to the NW, KK wasn’t gonna play him!..

• TBOP TOON

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Am i the only one that doubts collocini’s aerial presence as a centre back?

Theres no arguments that he is one of the most composed defenders when the ball is at his feet and rarely hoofs the ball away without thinking however I have seen him struggle physically against camara and other strikers this season. i hope he can improve this area of his game because we still look extremely vulnerable on set pieces in the area with given’s unwillingness to leave the goal line. A good signing but like many others have said on here, playing him alongside faye (very good aerially!) would have been a good idea this season.

• Timberhead

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:37 PM

KK and Faye fell out at last seasons Everton trip

• Stardust

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Precisely Timberhead.

The irony of this whole thing is that the Mob blame Ashley for the demise of the club. He has made mistakes but in my opinion a small one with huge consequences – poor PR.

The Mob have never thought for one second that it is their actions that undermine the club, that invade the press with negative sterotypes – if only they had thought for a second and supported the club above all else we wouldnt be in this mess.

If they had thought – well KK shouldnt have walked – the squads much better than last year – yes we missed out on players but can add a few more in Jan.

Ive said it countless times, that with a lot of our fans we dont deserve success – a lot of these morons were the same ones complaining when KK squandered the 12 point lead when we were the entertainers (if not they are the sons of those morons) – At that time I hadnt seen football at SJP like it before and was happy with the progress and loving football – how come that this lot have won the day and got their wish of perpetual doom and gloom is beyond me.

I actually hope Ashley has found a way around them whatever he has done – its a tough ask.

• Punk Skunk

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Stardust, mate,
    you make some decent points sometimes, but it also seems like you’re tryin’ to rattle a few cages too & be contrary for the hell of it…Can we please stop goin’ over old ground about the whole KK thing…You seem an intelligent lad as are plenty on the other side of your views…I’ve got no problem with people postin’ their opinions, but do we have to have slangin’ matches when sometimes we can use slightly less emotive terms of endearment…D’y’get me?..

…Soz man, i’m askin’ politely!..

• Nick

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Stardust – you’re absolutely spot on.
    Happily there are some free thinking individuals who don’t fit the thick, ignorant, insular geordie stereotype.

No we probably will never know what continued clever buys like Spidey and Col could have achieved, but the mob revolt has just bought us months of misery and we’re left with not Hiddinck or similar, but no bargain basement Kinnear. I rest my case.

• Macas

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I think a few people are getting carried away at how Coloccini has performed, he’s been very average in my opinion, nothing special. Looks composed with the ball at his feet but tends to make mistakes and not so great in the air. It’s his first season though so he needs time to adapt. For me the jury is still out on Spiderman as well, looks a decent player but needs to come up with more assists and goals. And I dont think he’s likely to be given the space to run into that he had at Man U very often this season.

• Stardust

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Punk Skunk

Sorry fella – let my frustration boil over! Is there a polite word I can use to describe a moron – lol 😉

I just cant believe now with time and the ability to see consequence of their actions played out in front of them they can not see the blindingly obvious.

Ive never had a problem with differing opinions on the other side of the fence when reasoned – i still have my views and they theirs – the trouble is the Press and News see this as a black and white issue – its the Mob they report and the Mob undermine – they dont want quotes from reasonable men.

rant over lol

• WesToon

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Colo you good thing!! Just hope we can turn YET ANOTHER SH!TE year around,PLS The footballing Gods,smile upon Newcastle for once!! 🙁

• Spyro

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Colo and Spidey are class players playing in a poor side. They cn only impress for so long before they are clamped down.

Look at Zaki at the beginning of the season. Now look at him, his scoring run has dried up and he doesn’t look such a world beater anymore. Teams now know he is one of Wigans main threats, if not THE main threat and they sat their tactics accordingly. What we need is more quality players to take the pressure off of the “main threat” in our team so they have the freedom and space to play their natural game.

This is why teams like Man U and Chelsea are virtually unstoppable. you can’t double mark every single player can you lol.

• Stardust

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Point well made Spyro

• Punk Skunk

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Stardust,
    i appreciate the reply man…
    …I totally understand y’frustration bro’, i’m feelin’ it too…
    …I don’t know what the solution is, but i do know that somewhere along the line we’ll have to bury the hatchet & get along as we’re ALL Toon fans ultimately!..
    …I’m not askin’ you to stop puttin’ your opinion up, ‘cos i think you post up good stuff generally…Hopefully, you’ll notice that i don’t come down on either side, ‘cos i can’t be arsed arguing the toss…But i do have the hump with KK for walkin’ & leavin’ us in a lose/lose situation!..

• Spyro

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:57 PM

JK play f****n Zoggy and drop the ineffective Duff!

• Spyro

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Stardust

Cheers

• Punk Skunk

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Take away all this instability & you’d see a pretty good team, i reckon…Think about it, every team up to 7/8th is a handful of points ahead of us, without any of this bullsh…Just think where we woulda been without this crap!..

• Stardust

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Punk Skunk – your latter part of post 26 and all of 29 are EXACTLY how I see things.

Cue the Mob lol 😉

• Spyro

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:07 PM

The reason i say our team is poor is because we have a team full of inconsistent players.

Duff
    Zog
    Martins
    Barton
    Butt
    Guthrie (first season)
    Taylor
    Enrique
    Ameobi
    Geremi
    Coloccini (first season)
    Bassong (first season)

Only players we can rely on

Beye
    Owen
    Jonas (despite first season)
    Given

• bowburnmag

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:09 PM

Hoo man hey man hoo man………hey man – I agree with Punk Skunk, let’s lay the disagreements to rest and move forward. Do we need to keep slating each other? We’ve heard it before and we know everyone’s thoughts but has it not been done to death and is it not better to leave that nonsense in the past. For what it’s worth, I agree with Macas too. Collocini still has a way to go to prove himself in my opinion. Looks the part a lot of the time but still needs to sharpen up.

• Punk Skunk

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Aye stardust,
    i think most do really, whether they admit it or not!?!..
    …& spyro, gotta say mate, those players inconsistancy is generally down to gettin’ the fear, based on the fans reaction (groans etc) to every, single, little scuff thay goes even slightly squiffy…We’re puttin’ too much pressure on them & that can ONLY ever lead to bad results!..

• THE BEAT.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:14 PM

lads we seem to be going over old ground here,i dont suppose we,ll ever know what really happened between all the antagonists involved in keegangate.
    the situation now though is completley depressing,i dread to think what going to happen after d day=
    will the toothless unwashed stage another shoeless protest?
    will they turn their attentions towards joe kinnear if results are not forthcoming?
    this could p**s mike off even further and stop him strengthening in jan?
    either way we trundle towards d day with trepidation,but ffs get behind the team we need some stability or we will go down.

• Stardust

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Spyro but those same players would be much better with confidence – and that starts with all of the fans getting behind them.

Bowburnmag – a while since we locked horns – but if we are moving on we wont have anything to disagree about any more lol – wheres the fun in that!

• Punk Skunk

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:17 PM

Yay bowburn!..

…Soz spyro, i usually agree with you mate but, the only thing Given consistently does right now is ship goals, again soz to all the Shay super-fans, but check the goals against column & don’t just blame defenders, he’s part of the defense!..

• Punk Skunk

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Confidence is paramount in this game!..
    Bowburn, d’y’think Colo is a DM?..
    …Not a Dr. Marten!..
    😀

• bowburnmag

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Stardust – When I can find the time again, I’m sure we’ll find something else to discuss/argue about.

• bowburnmag

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Punk Skunk – I could definitely see him sitting mopping things up in front of the centre halves but it would depend on what the rest of the midfield were doing and who we had around him. I think he’d be restricted more than a natural DM so might not offer enough. He needs to become more commanding in the air and needs to be quicker or else he’ll get caught out more than we can afford. That said, he’s an improvement on anything we’ve had in recent years, other than Woodgate.

• Alex

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM

The good thing coming through this last week or so, is that people on here seem to want to bury the hatchet and start supporting the team again . The first ray of light at the end of a dark tunnel , like i posted yesterday let the hacks from London slag us off but not each other , we are the Toon army . United we will make a difference .
    HOWAY THE LADS