Taylor Injury Worse Than First Thought

It’s turning out that Steven Taylor’s groin injury, which will keep him out of the Chelsea game tomorrow, is worse than first thought, and has not improved much over the last couple of weeks.

Stephen Taylor – groin injury worse than first thought

Steven will be visiting a specialist on Monday, to see exactly what the problem is, but we’re surprised we’ve left it for this length of time without getting it sorted out.

Joe Kinnear talked about Steven this morning:

“He is in agony when he kicks a ball,”  “He’s all right when he’s running but when he goes to knock a long ball he pulls up with his groin.”

“I think he’s going to see another specialist on Monday. At first they thought it was just a strain but I think it’s worse than that now.”

We’d like to see the club hasn’t send Steven to visit Dr Muschaweck, at her Munich clinic. She is the surgeon who fixed up groin problems with Shay Given last March, and also Michael Owen and Alan Shearer previously.

She is the world renowned surgeon who had Michael Owen back after just 10 days last year, and she would soon get to the bottom of Steven’s injury.

Let’s hope it’s not a big problem with Steven, because we need him back sooner rather than later.

• Tom

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Excellent! Sorry the guy is injured, but now Colo and Bassong will get more time together 😀

• Ageordiedoonsooth

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Tom you’re a prick Taylor is our best defender by far & is key to us staying up.

• The best kit for me so far(Taylor’s picture)
    Thats the only one missing from my collection

• Monster

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:35 AM

Ageordiedoonsooth

“Taylor is our best defender by far”

Lol if that’s true we in more trouble than I realised!

• Whumpie

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:43 AM

We’ll get our usual Taylor-bashing now. I wish people would realise that the likes of Rio Ferdinand and John Terry weren’t the finished article either at his age.

I think this injury is a real blow. We need 3, fit centre-backs with a lot of games together in all combinations so we can have competition for the places.

Taylor, for all his mistakes (as you’d expect from a 22-year old) was starting to put in some great performances with Colo, and now he’s hit a nasty problem which will kill his momentum. I also think JFK was the first manager to talk openly to him about his more common failings (including Oscar-clip play-acting and talent for hand-balls in the box), and he was starting to cut them out.

But Tom’s right – it gives the other 2 a chance to gel properly, I suppose.

• Monster

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:45 AM

I couldn’t currently say who is better between Taylor and Bassong… but I’d certainly like to see Bassong given a run in the team so that he can show what he can do.

Aside from those, Colo and Beye are quite obviously our best defenders.

• Irish John

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:48 AM

I like taylor even with all he’s mistakes and hope he improves but i think Bassong looks the better player between the 2..Obviously Colo is our best centre half but bassong edges it for me ..

The sad thing is though , Taylor has to be injured for bassong to get a game

• kk forever

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:55 AM

BEYE ashley a c unt mate

• David_Barber

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Whumpie: well said! It takes time to nurture a great centre back! He is still young-and on his day-as good as any-if not better! That does not take way the fact that Bassong can be a really good player-he too needs time to jel!

• Sav

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Dead right, Whumpie. Its a wonder he hasn’t got a pain in the arse as well with all the criticism he gets on here – like we had some world class defenders waiting in the wings!

• Whumpie

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:11 AM

That Daily Mail story about the statue looks like typical “stirring of the pure” to me – just another stab at riling the Toon Army for a laugh and to sell papers. Let’s not get hassled over it.

• Tom_Toon

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:14 AM

I’m glad hes way from the first 11.

• Whumpie

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:22 AM

Sav – dead right. Some people go up in arms every time Taylor makes a mistake, as if to say “why didn’t we play Woodgate, Ferdinand or Carvalho instead??”

Oh, that’d be because THEY DON’T PLAY FOR US. We’re not a top-four mega-team any more. We have to bring through our own talent, which means choosing between players who aren’t in that bracket. That’s going to be the case for a few years yet. Deal with it!

• Monster

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:30 AM

I like Taylor and I hope to see him develop into a top class defender.

The think however that the fact he has pretty much been our main centre half for the past few years has been detrimental to his development. He’d be a much better player now and if there’d been two solid defenders in front of him throughout his career so far. This hasn’t been the case and I think it’s a shame.

I still think he can come good, I just think he would have been a far more promising talent had things been different.

As much as it pains me to say so, I think Wheater is better.

• MATTY_G

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Its not easy for Taylor, he is young, had no-one to learn from (Terry had desailly), has the added pressure of playing for the club he supports. his centre back partner speaks very little English (at the moment). Think people should lay off the guy to be honest.

• Surly Amoeba

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I seem to recall that some of Taylor’s best games have been against Chelsea (and especially Didier Drogba). Funny that there seem to be extreme views –
    EITHER”he’s useless – get rid / play latest 16 year old reserve instead/ buy John Terry” (how about “we should never have got rid of Titus” – that would be novel!).
    OR – “local boy done good / can’t criticise / best defender / you’re stupid” etc
    I agree with the realistic view which is that he is extremely talented and able, still has work to do, is still young for a CH even though he’s been around for a long time and that at the moment, a Taylor / Colo pairing would be best. If we had manged to hang onto Faye then Colo / Faye would have been great and Taylor would have been on bench for me. Bassong looks very promising but is not the finished article either and lacks Taylor’s strength – in any case, with Enrique’s poor form I’d rather see him at LB.

• David_Barber

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:00 PM

No one is putting in a shout for Edgar ! Seems to be a young lad-that can put in some good performances! Thought he played well-in our hour of need-under Glenn Roader!

• Tom

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:49 PM

Ageordiedoonsooth

Is that your usual response to someone disagreeing with your opinion, call them a prick?

Taylor is far from our best defender. Coloccini, Beye and, in my opinion, Bassong, are all better defenders. Taylor has terrible positional sense and makes stupid mistakes far too often.

• Heavy hitters

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:41 PM

David Barber…….David has been treat badly at the club, I’ll tell you why imo. He has been a CB for 8 years and he ask to go on loan 4 times to my knowledge, refused every time to act as cover. When he has played, often for very short periods, he is often out of position and a few times he was injured and had to ask to come off in one game. He is not a RB and we found that out at West Ham. Not only do I hope he gets out on loan I hope he gets a transfer almost anywhere asap, Burnley would ideal as I believe he will be a good player, definitely Premiership standard if he gets the chance. You’ll always get clever dicks on forums who dont even go to matches come up with “championship at best” etc. It only takes someones girlfriend in a night club to fancy the kid and on they come slagging him off !!

• Petey

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM

coloccini makes just as many mistakes as taylor does sometimes.

what we need is to buy 2 center backs as once, that way their isnt so much pressure on one of them to do his job when he comes in.

i dunno, we all saw the difference not having taylor in the squad did to us against fulham. u can blame it on the substitue sure, but at the end of the day, the injury shook us up no end.

we need taylor back.

• Tom_Toon

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Petey – We wouldn’t have lost if Bassong played instead of Cacapa.

It was Kinnear’s fault that day.

We dont need Taylor. The long he stays away from the FIRST 11, the better.

• Petey

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:17 PM

i guess, i dunno, i just see qualities in taylor sometimes. he goes forward well, like lescott does. but we all view players different huh.

i dunno about bassong tbh, never saw him before he came to newcastle, and ive barely seen him here….but so far so good indeed.

i think we both agree cacapa needs a to take the eurostar back to lyon tho 😛