Geremi, Smith and Xisco Look Vulnerable at Newcastle

Joe Kinnear is turning his attention to the January transfer window, and he knows he must sell before he can buy, in his effort to improve the quality of the squad.

Alan Smith – likely to move on in January?

Joe talked to the Newcastle Journal after the game on Saturday:

“I spoke to Dennis last week,” “I’m only really getting on board with Dennis now because the (transfer) window’s coming. When I first took the job I didn’t think I’d be here this long so I didn’t really get down to talking about finances and players.”

“Now it seems the club won’t be sold, certainly until after Christmas. I’ve got my eye on two or three players we need and two or three to sell. Dennis is now given the task to go and get them, simple as that – and the task of removing some of the players I feel are not good enough.”

During his meeting with Ashley, Kinnear asked for some financial backing in January:

“The answer, truthfully, was keep the money you get for the players you sell and invest it back in the team,” “If there’s someone I desperately want he’ll possibly put his hand in his pocket providing he’s not near to selling the club.”

Of course this doesn’t help with the size of our squad, if Joe has to sell players first, unless he can bring more players in for the money than those he lets go of course. Joe was then asked who may be sold:

“Not players here (at Stamford Bridge) today, fringe players who won’t be involved, in my opinion, in the first team but we’ve spent a few quid on. If we can get some of that back and replace them with quality players, the squad will be better.”

Those not at Stamford Bridge include Smith, Geremi, Xisco and Mark Viduka. The latter is in the final season of his contract, making recouping money on him difficult – but he is one of Newcastle’s highest earners at over £60K/week.

It would also appear that he’s not looking to move Joe Enrique or even Steve Harper out, with both being in the squad on Saturday, and of course Jose played at Chelsea in Saturday’s excellent team display.

Other players who could be moved out to lessen the wage bill include 20 year-old David Edgar, who has hardly played under Kinnear this season.

We paid big money for Smith and Xisco, and it will be interesting to see if we can recuperate anywhere near the £12M the club paid out for their services.

In any case with Joe now very likely to be in charge through January, it promises to be an exciting time for Newcastle supporters in the upcoming transfer window, as Joe does his unenviable job of getting Newcastle strengthened and back up that league table.

He hasn’t done too bad at all up to this point, and we feel quite positive that the Irishman can improve the squad in January. Maybe a little bit of good news is on the horizon, we certainly could use some.   😀

• tino97

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Its says we need to sell to generate money for the transfer window. I think we should sell Cacapa and Geremi. But can’t see us getting much for them. I would like to keep Smith and see what JFK can do with him. I would give the younger lads a chance.

• ELFER

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:05 AM

I have to put the finger up and remind you that the chelski game was an easy one…

Don’t call me stupid, but I still remember the two poor displays before, when we did not seem to have any tactical clue during the game!! I hope kinnear can change this also against the so called “weaker” teams – we need points against them!!! Saturday it starts!

• lesh

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:07 AM

We need to add, not offload. Smith, well maybe but Geremi’s good on his day and Xisco’s not had a chance to show his obvious talents yet.

Take care Joe, take care buying players who’ve got to be bedded in and that takes time and add a lot of risk to an already precarious situation.

• Northern Rock

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:12 AM

OUT:
    – Geremi
    – Smith
    – Duff
    – Butt

IN:
    – Quality

• MURPHY

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:17 AM

I hope xisco is given a chance. it’s seems he’s been written off already just because Keegan didn’t want him, keegans gone so lets give him a chance.

I think it’ll be Smith, Geremi, edgar, cacapa and n’zog going. Would love nzog to stay but he’s clearly not happy so we’ll have to let go I feel.

• Irish -Toon

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:23 AM

We also have a load of players who’s contracts run out in June. Cacapa, Owen, Harper, Gonzalez, Ameobi, Butt, Viduka, Edgar, Danquah, Morris, Doninger, Donaldson, Godsmark, Marwood & Lough

• RichardG

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:23 AM

I agree with Tino, I feel JFK can get the best out of Smith when he comes back, also he is a versatile player who has been used in many positions.

I feel there are other players should be out of the door first:

Xisco is a complete waste of money.

Geremi should maybe be cashed in on as age is not on his side and he is very inconsistent.

Cacapa has been overtaken by Bassong so I feel that he should be on his way too.

Viduka maybe wouldnt bring us much cash back in but would represent a massive saving in wages.

Edgar, although he is a decent player I feel there are players infront of him and also JFK has spoken about wanting to bring in another defender.

NZogbia is beginning to look unsettled, even though I would not like to see him leave, I feel that if a player is unsettled or their heart is elsewhere it is best to cash in asap (ie. Jenas)

Natcho Gonzales’s loan should be cancelled, why pay the wages of a player who played about 20 shocking minutes for us.

All this said, it is fine offloading players aslong as we get some talent into the team. I think versatility is the key really. Someone who can play anywhere accross the back 4. someone who can play anywhere in the middle of the park and upfront, its simple really, GET MO SIGNED ON!!!!

• Nenad The Serbian Mag

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:23 AM

I’d keep Xisco at least until the end of the season… And if he is to leave, I’d stick Ranger into the starting XI a few times and see what happens…

And how about Tozer and Kadar for competition at left back?

• Edd Case

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Only trouble is, if we have to sell, 3 or 4 to get 3 in, we’re still going to be desperately short in numbers, even if we bring in quality.

• samthecat

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:41 AM

No one is going to pay any money for Geremi or Viduka or Cacapa or Smith for that matter until he proves his fitness. Gonzales contract would have to be paid up probably so no saving there.
    Xisco-you cant judge a player on so few minutes on the pitch.
    I suggest we keep all our players and buy/loan a central midfielder.

• Toony

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:47 AM

I’m not great at sums but if we sell say 3 players and get £12m and we buy another 3 players for the same amount then we are not going to be a lot better off and we will still have a small squad. If we bought 4 players for the same total as qwe got for selling 3 players then they wouldn’t be as good. What happened to the £12m we got for Milner?

• Sav

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:48 AM

No doubt there’s a handful of players we could all name that we’d be happy enough to let go. But realistically, would we get more than washers for any of them?
    Who is going to pay millions for Smudger? He’ll barely be fit by January. In terms of Xisco, there’s a credit crisis in Spain as well as here, so can’t expect our money back. And then there’s the time factor when you can’t buy until you sell first. Its a short enough window and the players Joe wants on loans and cheap fees may well be snapped up before he has generated a kitty.
    It all looks like more stalling tactics bu FatAsh to save him putting his hand in his pocket.
    And STILL no mention of the important contract negotiations with Owen, Butt etc.

• Spyro

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:51 AM

Nice to see there are smarter people on the blog today. We shouldnt sell Xisco as he hasn’t even had a chance yet. If we lose Xisco and Zog in January i will be livid. A squad that already is paper thin and yet we are told to sell before we can buy?! F**K OFF ASHLEY YOU MONEY GRABBING FAT B*****D!

• Spyro

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:54 AM

Sav

I am with you on that, something dodgy is definitely going on here. Since MA has been here we haven’t once had a straight forward transfer window. The man is a greedy pig. We will either sell players and spend only half the money on incoming players, or we will not buy anone at all.

• k k forever

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:57 AM

SPYRO it took u long enough to change ur mind about ashley i new u wud see sense in the end

• k k forever

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:58 AM

the latter i think SPYRO

• lesh

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Hey Spiro….. be careful what you’re saying….

comparing certain people to pigs might just upset the pigs!

• Stardust

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Spyro “F**K OFF ASHLEY YOU MONEY GRABBING FAT B*****D!”

Fact is Ashley has to pay for players, its well documented that his shares in Sports Direct have suffered recently. The balance of the books still means we will be debt free – I think you stopped way below your usual standards with that pathetic poorly thought out rant.

Reality is a situation – deal with it.

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM

It’s easy to find fault with Ashley and slate him, I’ve done my share. But we have got some real quality players fairly cheaply so some of the mud slinging is a little out of order. I just hope when the full story does eventually come out we supporters havn’t got our fair share of it on ourselves.

• Kevin Nichol

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Xisco hasnt been given a chance yet? the lad has started three games and looked shocking! when he has come on as a substitute we might as well of played with 10 men! He cannot even get onto the bench when we can name seven subs!!!! All this for a 6 million pound man!!!

Fair enough…he’s only been here a few months. But surely if he was “a player” you would expect him to knuckle down; prove his ability in training, prove he was worth the big money spent on his “Talent” and at least earn a place on the bench???????

Complete and utter waste of money!!!! Especially when we have the likes of Ranger banging them in for the under 18s and reserves! Offload Xisco whilst he still has a whatever reputation he earned in spain because he is never going to get ahead of young Ranger / ameobi, owen, martins, viduka on what we have seen so far!

As for Nacho….Don’t get me started!

Well done to the entire team after saturday! I’m still buzzing after the result now! I’m not usually a fan of enrique and i’m a big admirer of steven taylor; but Enrique had a good game whilst Bassong and Colo were immense! We might have unearthed a real gem in Bassong!
    Too early to say right now; but he has taken his chance with both hands and none of the back four should change against the smoggies next sat…

• Spyro

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:12 AM

“Xisco hasnt been given a chance yet? the lad has started three games and looked shocking!”

Do you realise how bad that makes you sound? REALLY!? a whole THREE GAMES!! He must be crap then LOL

• Spyro

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:17 AM

Stardust

No mate, he is still benefitting from owning the team so he should be funding it in the same way. Every transfer window he always has an excuse and i am sick of it. Why do we have to sell before we can buy? Where is the left over money from the last transfer window? The man is a tight arse. Get rid of the man.

• k k forever

……………………………Barton…………………………..
    …Jonas………………………………………….Barnetta.
    ……………………………Larrson…………………………
    ………………..Rosenberg………..Martins……………

Subs:Krul,Enrique,Mattock,Pokrivac,Ramsey,
    Viduka,Butt.

Phew,i wish it was that easy 🙂

• bowburnmag

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Can the Real Slim Spyro please stand up?

• Stardust

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Spyro

I often agree with you but I honestly think youve left your senses.

Fact is the players they signed are a million times better than we had – Saturday being a case in point.

And this was achieved whilst breaking even. I agree we need more players, but I will always wait and see – if improvements are made and it doesnt cost the earth – who cares? Only short sighted fools wanting the “satisfaction” of Marcelino – Luque et al.

I do not care for one second how much player cost – I only want to see improvement – and there are improvments all over the club at present with the exception of the one crucial area that feeds the Mob – “PR”

If the PR improved the club would be far more stable – but perhaps this process is needed to bring back into line the title demanding in one season after spending 50 million of money we dont have bedsheet brigade.

Yet despite the improvements you criticise him for having the club on a strong financial footing – you seem to forget with our previous footing – we probably wouldnt have a club now as we could have been forclosed in the crunch.

We have to face facts it takes time to win titles and cups but if your foundations have been grown in the right way – once you have won one many follow – if you win on foundations of quicksand it will all come tumbling down again.

• Shearerbliss

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:31 AM

No offence spyro but football is a business you can not just throw money at it. The plan to invest in youth and get quality players for the right price surely has to work in our favour. And I don’t want to hear relegation we are honestly to good for that! We have a under 18 team on top of the leauge. Who put that together a certain DW. But we hate him. I think it is to much to call someone greedy who splashed morte than £180m for a failing club. Would you!

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:31 AM

Spyro, we fans (everwhere) do seem to have a pechant for putting players down before they have had a real chance to prove themselves.
    There are several in the Toon team who come into that category, who we would be kicking ourselves over if they had been shipped straight out without them getting a run in the team to settle in and adapt to EPL football. So I agree with what you are saying lets give players a chance before we say they are rubbish. Bit long winded but I got there in the end.

• Spyro

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:36 AM

I am not saying we need to spend a lot. I have always said that it doesn’t matter how much the players costs. Cost doesn’t determine quality. However, certain questions need answering. Where is our left over money from the transfer window? Why do we have to sell in order to buy? Look how thin our squad is, surely we need to add to the squad. MA always has an excuse as to why he cannot spend any money out right.

• Nenad The Serbian Mag

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Partizan, smaraš…

• nightfall

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:42 AM

smith’s the worst player i’ve ever seen..in any shirt…but ‘cos he’s english you still think of him like he’s ronaldo in crisis…if smith would be (i don’t know) danish?, you’d all want to get rid of him…a year ago…

i mean xisco only came to england..had few minutes to prove his worth…played ok…and there’s smith…who only played in EPL his performances are simply terrible…

• Stardust

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Spyro

You are concerning yourself and negative anti Ashley energy in the wrong way. It shouldnt matter to you what players cost – its moronic to say it does.

The only thing that should matter is improvements are made whilst safeguarding the long term aims and financial security of the club.

I really thing you’ve lost the plot for some reason – you havent bought any new bedsheets lately have you? lol – you might have caught mobitis?

• bowburnmag

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Stardust – seems we still agree on the poor PR – who wouldn’t? But you leave out the crucial point that Ashley set the standards when he first came. No matter what has happened between then and now, Ashley raised those expectations and played to the crowd. He didn’t invest enough before the saga with Keegan and we’ll never know whether either way now because the goalposts have moved but people are within their right to question it, given the evidence. Yes, he steadied the finances but in my opinion as much for short-term business risks as it was a means to building his dream of owning a successful football club long-term. Yet, he never looked like speculating beyond his historical frugal approach to business. This wasn’t meant to be a business and he wanted to have fun apparently. Where’s the fun in that? This is old ground but my point is, I don’t think he ever intended to spend in the transfer windows and I think he got that bit massively wrong. Now we’ll never know as I said, because there’s a different agenda.

• Spyro

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:45 AM

What are you on about Stardust? When did i say the cost of the player is important?

• Stardust

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Bowburnmag – lol a chance to lock horns again!

When did MA ever raise expectations other than for the Mob to believe because he wass a paper billionaire he would lavish all of his cash on NUFC?

Answer – he didnt – wow signings appeared in the paper as the press built us up for a fall and down we crashed. I dont remember one point where MA had promised us anything other than building up long term and putting the foundations in place.

Spyro – I made by points at you concern yourself with issues of the clubs finance – they have nothng to do with you or us other than we are on a strong footing. Improvements are the only things fans should be concerned with – a simple unavoidable truth – how we get there is irrelevant.

• Karltoon

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Im sure he was actually quoted on saying there would be a ‘WOW’ signing.. However i could be, and am regularly incorrect

• Karltoon

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Mind he wasnt wrong.. I was pretty shocked..

• Spyro

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Stardust

My point is, we are being told to sell players in order to buy in january. However, our squad is thin enough and surely there should be money available to ADD to our squad. So therefore the money available is relevant and it seems as though there is none available despite making a fair bit of profit towards the end of the summer transfer window. Where has this money gone?

• Karltoon

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:00 PM

ENTER XISCO lol

• Tom_Toon

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:01 PM

Keep Geremi and Xisco.

Get rid of: Owen, Edgar, Cacapa, Carroll, Ameobi, Smith.