Sebastien Bassong – The Toast Of The Toon

Sebastien Bassong had his best game in a black and white shirt on Saturday at Chelsea, as he strolled majestically through the game, continually cutting out the Chelsea danger down the middle, and he must have impressed any manager looking at the game.

Sebastien Bassong covering James O’Hara on Saturday

22 year old Seb Bassong is good in the air, good on the ground and has a great temperament and terrific attitude, as you will see from the following interview he gave to the Newcastle Journal today.

With qualities like these he could turn out to be a great buy for the Tyneside club.

In fact four of our summer signings – Bassong, Guthrie, Gutierrez and Coloccini all played big parts in the draw at Chelsea, so we have certainly improved the squad over the summer, even though it is still too small in numbers.

Seb was delighted not only to play against his hero and fellow countryman, Nicolas Anelka, but he says his Dad is very proud of him since Anelka was his father’s favorite player too.

Bassong said after the game:

“I’m happy with my own performance,” “It has always been one of my dreams to play against Nicolas Anelka, and now I have done it. But it would not have been a very good dream if he had scored against me.”“I love Anelka as a player and a man, so I am delighted I got the chance to play against him, and even more delighted I did well to help get a result for the team.”

“Nicolas was in Clairefontaine like me. He was always held up as proof of what is possible. As a defender at Clairefontaine at the age of 12 or 13, you are shown videos of Nicolas Anelka to teach you how to defend against the best strikers in the world.”

“I used to watch those videos and marvel at the runs he would make and the goals he would score. But I never thought I would get the chance to play against him.”  “He is a legend in France, but he didn’t score against me and I’m proud of that. Maybe watching all of those videos helped me predict what he was going to do.”

“I have already been on the phone to my dad. I imagine he is very proud of me because he was also a massive Anelka fan when I was growing up. He will be telling all of his family and friends his son has played against Anelka.”

“I am sure he will be desperately searching the television channels to see if he can find any highlights.”  “This is probably the hardest ground in the Premier League to come to and get a result,”

“We were always going to have to be very solid to come away with a point, and thankfully that is exactly what we were. We defended very well all match.’’

There are not many times Bassong has come in and played badly for the Newcastle side this season, and he is already pushing for a starting position somewhere along the back four.

His best position is certainly in central defense but he is also more than useful at left-back, being a left sided defender.  If Steven Taylor is fit for the vital game at Middlesbrough on Saturday look for Seb keeping his position in central defense and Steven maybe moving in at left back.

41% of our readers think Sebastien was our Man Of The Match on Saturday, with Given second at 23%, Coloccini third at 17% and Beye fourth at 8%, You can still vote if you haven’t already done so.

It warms the heart to see some of our younger players put in performances like Bassong did at Chelsea on Saturday, when he’s so young and still inexperienced, but he looked great, and epitomized the Geordie spirit.

• WesToon

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:27 AM

What a great great signing,looks like he has proper pedigree,coming out of one of the best youth set-ups in the world!!! C’mon Seb get in my son 🙂

• UTD111

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:29 AM

To be fair, he has to stay in the team, even when Taylor is fit

• NotAGhostToon

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:29 AM

There’s no reason for taylor to get back in the side, to get a point out of chelsea your whole back four has to play well and indeed they did. Taylor can wait.

• AO

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:33 AM

westoon- you were saying he was rubbish not to long ago. fickle!

• beyethegreat

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:34 AM

westoon

best youth setups in the world?

• Ageordiedoonsooth

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:39 AM

It wasn’t just the defence that defended well the whole of the outfield players defended including Owen & Martins. It looks like we’re stuck with Ashley & co, I think that in January, Xisco, Nzogbia, Viduka, Gerimi, Edgar & probably Harper will be sold I don’t think Owen will go until the end of the season. Probably 2 or 3 permanent signings with 2 or 3 loanees coming in. I think we will struggle but hopefully stay up & then the club will be sold in the summer with Shearer coming in as manager (or is that just wishful thinking).

• AO

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:39 AM

What is meant by the geordie spirit?

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:52 AM

AO, probably Broon Ale. 🙂

• rooks

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:52 AM

AO – it’s a lethal concoction of meths, Broon Ale & cranberry juice

• rooks

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:53 AM

damn you Bill F !

• Kash

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:56 AM

Taylor at LB Ed???? Putting sqaure pegs in round holes is not a solution in any given situation.

If Taylor was to come into the side, then he’d come in at CB, not LB.

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Geordiesooth, I would be surprised if all of those you mentioned did go, in fact I’d be surprised if any of them go in this window although some of them wouldn’t be a big loss.
    There will be new players, 99% certain of that although I hope Denilson isn’t one of them I don’t think he has the bottle for a relegation scrap. Might be worth us having a punt for Gallas though, I reckon he would be feisty enough to relish a scrap.

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:59 AM

Rooks, great minds (or simple ones) think alike. 😉

• Irish John

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:01 AM

really happy with this signing…I know there was conflict between Keegan and the set up but you cant argue that some really excellent signing’s were made for not a lot off money….

Taylor has to wait for he’s chance now, just like owen had too…For me, Bassong has always been the better player between the 2 ..Just needs to be given a run now..

• Spyro

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:03 AM

“If Steven Taylor is fit for the vital game at Middlesbrough on Saturday look for Seb keeping his position in central defense and Steven maybe moving in at left back.”

Unless you are making the childish joke about players being ‘left back’ in the changing room then i 100% dont agree. Stop trying to force Talor back into the team.

• LATINAMERICATOON

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:13 AM

I have a couple of friends in france of seb’s age who went through the clairefontaine ranks, and went onto play for france under 18 and 21. they probably KNow seb and may have played with him. The guy seems great! I was pleased to see him come in this summer without any fuss or expectation, nearly unoticed by most. But when I saw he was a product of the famed academy I have looked at him closely ever since. He is tall strong. Good in the air, on the ground, good tackling timing… I can go on. Bravo seb!

• Shearerbliss

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Yet again ed, another great buy from DW. I really do wish the NUFC can forgrt the past a REALLY give the set up a chance! I do agree we MUST get rid of the chairman uterly useless. DW has got us VALUE for money. In this financial time I think MA has made the right chose. We fans cried out for a CB and MA splash the cash and got us Colo. I know we all like KK but JK has said we do not know the whole story and I trust him. MA take the club off the market appologise to the fans, get a new chairman that knows the city and football and try again!

• Spyro

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:31 AM

SHearerbliss

I agree with you to an extent. I also think Dennis Wise has proved to be a good appointment. He has signed some quality players with limited transfer money available. However, i feel MA is cheap and will never spend more than he absolute has to. Just look how thin our squad is and yet we have to sell to buy. Pathetic.
    Dennis Wise would prove himself to be a class….erm…whatever his role is, if we were to get a chairman who isn’t so tight fisted.

• bowburnmag

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Taylor at left-back??? Ed must have hit the Geordie spirit before he wrote this.

• Nenad The Serbian Mag

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:37 AM

He seems to be a confident lad, and that is very important for a defender in any league, but especially in England, where almost every team you play against has class forwards.

I hope Seb continues to learn and progress!

• WesToon

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:47 AM

@ beyethegreat

Here you go mate… sorry it was a bit late like…

Clairefontaine

• WesToon

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:51 AM

@ AO // Nov 24, 2008 at 10:33

Look Son,i dont have time to always respond to your pathetic comments D!CK Head!!!

I have never said Bassong was rubbish,You are pathetic

Remind me again,is it Spuds Or Manure?? Or is it that you are just a TWO FACED TWUNT??

• Shearerbliss

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:56 AM

I do not think our squad is that thin. The problem is injuries from the same players. MO stop start, dukes never see him, etc. I agree maybe we have too many youngsters, but I would love to give a few a try. kadar. lualua, and maybe ranger should be used more often under a bit less pressure (eg away from SJP). I think it would take a brave manager to do this, like Roader it failed but the idea was good! Big squad cost big money. MA is not that cheap. If you take our top 5 earners MO,JB,AS,MV,Geremi (1.7m in wages per month which is 20.4 m per year) and they played with more heart and less sciving I think we would do fantastic. How many times have you heard G.barry, F Lampard, gerrad, or terry injured for there club. MO and MV should be better than that. They have taken us for a ride. If MO left for a top 4 club I could bet he would not have half the injuries!
    So MA is not that cheap. If you do the maths football is unstianable, you throw good money at bad, fans don’t appreciate the money involved just to break even. I honestly think MA did not come to make a profit how could you. If anyone could name a prem club over the last five years to make profit for the owners let me know. Man U has won the euro cup and PL twice and in more debt than us. which one would you perfer. Liverpool won euro can not afford stadium, Chelski owes money to there OWNER work that one out, Arsenal could not afford anyone over 6.5 mill. Top 4 clubs which has a lot more money coming in than us! MA is keeping us stable, and be honest If you could not watch your OWN team would you put your hands in your pocket! We get what we deserve. NEVER bite the hand that feeds you!

• Ganiyu

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Taylor should be sold for cash

• dave

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:22 PM

first!

• Pit yaka

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Quite simply he and Collicini should be our starting centre backs. Taylor isnt as good and gets his position because he spits the dummy when dropped. Taylor is second choice for me. We need a dedicated left back, not Taylor. Bassong has been dropped a few times this season to make way for Taylor and Enrique, and to be quite honest it was unwarranted as he wasntputtng a foot wrong.

• Bill F (Original)

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Ganiyu, as opposed to what? Do they still use the bartering system in your neck of the woods. 🙂

• graeme

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Hopefully, Taylor will have been watching the game and will have learned from Seb, just what a CB is supposed to do.

Bassong was everything that Taylor isnt and he’s 2 years younger!! After a performance like the one on Saturday, there is no way Taylor could replace him at the moment; He’s not good enough!!

• Stardust

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM

well put Shearbliss

• Punk Skunk

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Bassong has been a great buy!..
    …Plays great when he gets the shout & is a top lad, says the right stuff, has a composed & realistic manner…Keep up the great work Seb…

…Taylor at lb, err, NA!..RB possibly, but can’t see him oustin’ Beye…Leave the back four as it is for now at least a few games, let it develope & gel…

• AO

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:50 PM

Bassong was a good buy. Just admit you were wrong about him westoon and give the lad some credit.

• sweendog

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Bassong was top notch .. great to see both our defenders were really good .. credit must also go for the DM, guthrie/butt must have been good as well ..
    Well done lads .. now lets see if kinnear can work on our attack at the smoggies and then to beat stoke .. thats us passed the 19 game 20 points
    Pity Fat ash/wise etc had the ruin it by not doing the decent thing and selling up and p*ssing off .. wise wearing a blue tie at chelsea, cheeky wee fecker..

• WesToon

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:07 PM

@ AO // Nov 24, 2008 at 13:50

HAHAHHAAHA,pls Son you are starting to get a wee bit STUPID here!!! You can say whatever you like Lad,i know i support NUFC TILL I DIE

AO or should i call you by your Christian name(Arse ‘ole) is that spanish or something?? So anyway have you decided upon Manure OR Spuds?? OR are you sticking to being TWO-FACED??

• The Entertainers

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:18 PM

I’m a big Taylor fan and unlike some fans, still believe hes got a big future.

However after that game Seb has to be given a chance. Otherwise what would it say to our youngsters, play well and then get dropped?

As the old saying goes, hes got the shirt now!

• Tore Torell

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Finally the rest of u agree with me… I’ve been saying for months that Curly and Seb would be our best pairing in the heart of defence, now it’s time to say: What did I say?!!! :p

• Brutooooon

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:37 PM

let steven taylor knew that there are great competition at the CB position.

let steven taylor know that he is not an automatic selection.

• Heavy hitters

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Bassong all day long before Taylor !!!

• AndrewNUFC

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I like Bassong alot. Him and Colo must build on there defensive partnership becuase on saturday they both looked fantastic. Sorry Taylor but for now he can stay on the bench.

• CHUCK

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Been saying it for a while , the kids got it all, size ,pace, awareness, technique.
    Can play the wing back role (possibly better than CD) needs time and coaching to reach the next level.
    Will undoubtably play for France.
    Time to tie hm up to a long term contract now!

• CHUCK

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM

Oh ! bye the way Coloccini, Jonas, Bassong, Guthrie, (havent seen enough of the two Spanish guys)
    Which s.o.b signed them again, was it KK or who ?